PDA

View Full Version : Leroy...couple questions

milkmania
11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
In another thread you mentioned a device Sling Media....

How far along in the learning process are you with it?
I've got DishNetwork with a DVD625 dual receiver

I read up on the sling box, but was wondering...
Does this box create a third receiver of sorts, or do you have to watch whatever channel the DVR is tuned to.

Also, have you worked with a DVD Burner for the home entertainment system?
I'm wondering if you can install a DVD Burner the DVR and burn the movies that are saved.... Dish's paperwork says you can add a VCR to the DVR to back-up movies, but doesn't mention DVD Burners:( Also, is there an issue with the 4.7 gig size relating to needing to compress the data to fit on disk.

There is a USB port on the back of the DVR, but consensus leads me to believe that's for Dish's Mobile player.

these questions go out to other members of the board too;)

Leroy
11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Good timing Milk! Just checked in.

We have received them and doing some looks in the lab. SOmeone will take them home soon, not sure if I will or not.

They have IR blasters so they can control your local sat or cable receiver through the internet. I believe they basically take video and compress into MPEG4 and even have a varible compression algorithm so it can adjust that based on your internet connection speed. You can get pretty good pictures in MPEG4 with not much bandwidth.

As far as I know no DVR has allowed digital signals out of the box yet, hence why they say you can back-up with VCR. USB was added for other reasons. You can take the best quality video and run it into a DVD recorder and record shows from the HDD as you replay them. But you end up with poorer quality video since you demodulated it to analog again.

milkmania
11-21-2006, 05:59 PM

We have received them and doing some looks in the lab. SOmeone will take them home soon, not sure if I will or not.

They have IR blasters so they can control your local sat or cable receiver through the internet. I believe they basically take video and compress into MPEG4 and even have a varible compression algorithm so it can adjust that based on your internet connection speed. You can get pretty good pictures in MPEG4 with not much bandwidth.

As far as I know no DVR has allowed digital signals out of the box yet, hence why they say you can back-up with VCR. USB was added for other reasons. You can take the best quality video and run it into a DVD recorder and record shows from the HDD as you replay them. But you end up with poorer quality video since you demodulated it to analog again.

thanksfor the reply, i'll be sure to read it again once the pain meds wearoff... lol

found bestbuy carries slingmedia locally also

Leroy
11-21-2006, 09:12 PM
No problem, you going to get one? I think the cable and satellite companies are scaried to death of this box.

Curious if anyone else has one yet.

milkmania
11-21-2006, 11:02 PM
very interested in it.....then my camper would really be set-up:woohoo:

looks to be only around $179.00

milkmania
01-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Leroy,

How'd the test go?

No problem, you going to get one? I think the cable and satellite companies are scaried to death of this box.

Curious if anyone else has one yet.

nah, just went ahead and added Dishnetwork DVR to camper
already had everything except the receiver...
tripod, dish, & coax

Leroy
01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Everyone is too busy! It's still sitting on the desk of the fellow research engr that bought it! I hear they work well and there are many unique applications for them. For instance cable companies can put one of these at the end of each cable run and tune different channels to see that the video looks ok. Or remote video monitoring, security, etc.

JimN
01-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Leroy- where do you work now?

Leroy
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Jim; JDSU in their COMM-Test group, primarily test equipment used by cable companies.

JimN
01-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Do you know how to put Scientific Atlanta cable receivers into service mode? I would like to be able to see signal strength, etc without having to connect test equipment when it already has the ability.

Are you guys getting ready to launch more fiber applications that are more consumer oriented?

BTW, the way the company was run a while back lost me everything I had invested in their stock when it was de-listed. Do me a favor and beat bumps on some heads in management, OK?

Leroy
01-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I think I can find out, will check on SA.

I'm not aware of any of the fiber business, still learning the cable side even!

You and many others have told me that story and I see the valuation dropped by more that 98% from the peak. SOrry to hear that, a neighbor told me similar. Even with the stock crash the company sat aside cash which is why the company is still in existence. I think many of the boom people are gone.

Leroy
01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I had have lunch with the Director of Innovation for Sling this week. He demo'ed SLing via a cell phone showing his PVR and different security cameras that were in his house in CA. Really cool stuff.

I think I am going to buy one now!

Haven't found out yet Jim.

milkmania
01-27-2007, 01:14 AM
I had have lunch with the Director of Innovation for Sling this week. He demo'ed SLing via a cell phone showing his PVR and different security cameras that were in his house in CA. Really cool stuff.

I think I am going to buy one now!

Haven't found out yet Jim.

keep us updated....
got a friend that's got a couple of pizza restaurants that installed security cameras that could be setup to view over IP.... but didn't realize he needed DSL (or the like) to view the cameras from home:rolleyes:

pretty discouraged with his dial-up connection, and his only other option is satellite

Leroy
01-30-2007, 10:38 PM
THe Team Talk of electronics!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581843

Do you know how to put Scientific Atlanta cable receivers into service mode? I would like to be able to see signal strength, etc without having to connect test equipment when it already has the ability.

Are you guys getting ready to launch more fiber applications that are more consumer oriented?

BTW, the way the company was run a while back lost me everything I had invested in their stock when it was de-listed. Do me a favor and beat bumps on some heads in management, OK?