PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard advice

silk
12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I have realy enjoyed this site being a newbee and all. I just got a 90 190ps nice clean rig. what wakeboards should I buy for my two 12 year old boys and me to learn on we all ski fairly well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mag_Red
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the Forum! :toast: I'm definately the wrong guy to give advise, but I do know that the size of the board is weight dependant. My advise is go to a good marine dealer and get their suggestions. There are so many different boards out there it's mind boggling

martini
12-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the board. I would follow Mag-Red's advice and go to a local shop and inquire within. However, I would definitely check the online stores and the board manufacturer's websites. They too will have information regarding how aggressive/passive the board is and they will have weight recommendations as well. As far as actually purchasing said boards, I would reserve that exclusively for the web based stores. You will get a much better deal than you would locally.

Discount vendors to consider would be:

www.mmwatersports.com
www.bartswatersports.com (not so much a discount store)
www.skilimited.com

Board manufacturer websites.

www.cwbwakeboards.com
www.hyperlite.com
www.liquidforce.com

That should be a good start.

Good information can also be found at www.wakeside.com(prices not so great there though)

MasterCrafting
12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Hyperlite Fluid 137---the only way to go. The price is right and its one amazing board.
You can learn the basics and the hardstuff on that board...my friend still rides his and he's going pro, granted he has a few better boards now. I personally love it and have ridden alot of boards. and for about 300 bucks its worth it... Galyan's is going out of business and right now all the wakeboards are 1/2 off

BriEOD
12-21-2004, 05:30 PM
I have a Hyperlite 137 and really like it. I can't do to much and am more of a slalom skier but I would recommend it.

silk
12-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice and the webs of the verious companys. Where is Galyans? How do I get a hold of them??

Leroy
12-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Gaylans was bought out by Dick's and as far as I know the Gaylans are either cleared out or the name changed to Dick's. Our store in Carmel closed last weekend. I never liked Dicks that much, the people never seemed to know the stuff and not as good quality as Gaylans. Gaylans had lace up boots and several boards/skiis 80% off week before they closed. http://www.galyans.com/stores/ May be others open.

rem_pss308
12-29-2004, 03:16 PM
My son, started wakeboarding about three years ago. He started with PLastic wakeboard from Wallmart. His next one was a Neptune. ( Bought because we did not do any research )
After a lot of research, he has decided he likes the Hyperlite Byerly. He has had two of these now, and loves them. They are not cheap!!!
I have one also. I cant ride like he can. I am just a beginner. I like my byerly, but I think I like my wifes Hyperlite Fluid better. It is easy to control, no sudden pops of the wake, everything with the fluid is predictable. The byerly gets away from me form time to time.

You can get very good deals At:

wakeside.com
Buywake.com

Word of advise : you get what you pay for.

Bindings are also important. they need to be tight, and comfortable.
the best way to test a binding is to try it on.
If possible, before buying a board, I would ride one like it.

Lots of info at wakeworld.com forum

Ron Grover
12-29-2004, 05:54 PM
I am a little disturbed about the advice go to your local dealer and get advice on the size and style board then check out the web based people they have a much better price!!!!?????

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if I am going to the local guy and get his advice, experience and everything it just seems wrong to use them and then not give something back. How do you think those guys stay in business and provide that kind of service.

Don't get me wrong, I've bought from Overtons, and Barts. Get their catalogs on a regular basis, but getting to know a local dealer and building a partnership with them can't be beat. There is room for the local and the web based guys but don't screw the local guy for a few bucks.

In fact, my experience here in KC, Xtreme Marine and Williams Bros in Shell KnoB, MO has been great. Wouldn't dream of "using/abusing" either one of them. In fact bought my sons first wakeboard from Xtreme they sold me the Hyperlite 137 plus a rope bindings and instuctional video as a kit for the same price Overtons had it for sale. At least give that local guy a chance to meet or come close in price.

Bought a wakeskate from another local ski shop. Price was $15 higher than Overtons but they give my son a 2 hour pass to the local cable pull park. How you going to get that from a web guy.

Support that local dealer making it possible for you to blast it each summer weekend!