PDA

View Full Version : Drag wheels

Prostar19
08-02-2004, 11:38 PM
I just put my new drag wheels on my trailer. It went up the driveway so easy and quite. No screaching from those steel rollers. :woohoo:

Kell
08-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Nice job! :)

MarkP
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
looks good PS19.

What kind of running gear are you sportin on that prostar??

MarkP
08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I found a shot of mine. Gotta love the silence.

Prostar19
08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
It is a 35th Anniversary 197. Has the stainless underwater gear. :D

Your wheels look good. So much better than the stock things. :toast:

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
As the owner of steel rollers, I know how happy the poly rollers (or whatever) are making you. I went for low profile steel and it has left some pretty ugly marks on my driveway. Fortunately, the lift kit has solved this problem. It takes a hefty angle, but I don't touch at all any more. This picture is right after they were installed (forgive the primer on the trailer). I'll have to upload a post-lift picture soon, too.

Dan K
08-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Doug and others,
I have noticed your prop guards setup for awhile now and wondered if it was legal. When the prop guard is added it becomes the rearmost portion of the trailer. There are specific requirements for trailers over 80" to have center identification lights as oulined in the following link.

Lighting requirements (http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/tech_info/light_tech.html)

I would think that the clearance lights need to be moved to the prop gaurd to be perfectly legal, Does anyone else have some input or experience on this ?

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 05:25 PM
I didn't actually add this prop guard. I already had a prop guard. But it was so banged up from driveway dragging, that I replaced it.

From a quick read of section 547 of the Texas Transportation Code (specifically sec. 547.352), it doesn't look as if I need one of those light bars on the trailer at all, but I could have missed something.

jake
08-03-2004, 06:30 PM
The trailers come from MC with the light bar on the inner cross member, not the prop guard.

jake
08-03-2004, 06:31 PM
I just put that snippet out there to up my post count. "Newbie"...give me a break.

jake
08-03-2004, 06:32 PM
oopps...there I go again.

mbaumy
10-11-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm currently having may driveway replaced (asphalt) and was wondering if anyone has found a rubber or poly wheel to replace to factory steel wheels on my 02 trailer? I don't want my new driveway all torn up by the steel wheels and thought that a softer wheel would help.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Here are my drag wheels :D

captkidd
10-12-2004, 10:59 AM
We need an in-car camera so we could see that huge grin on your face. (simulated picture::D)

BTW, how much do those tires cost? (simulated picture: :eek: )

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
We need an in-car camera so we could see that huge grin on your face.
BTW, how much do those tires cost? :purplaugh The actually rear tires are over $300 a piece! :eek: Michelin Pilot Sports 275/35 x 18

Luckily I have a set of BFG drag radials mounted on some spare rims for my trips to the track.

track admission $5
drag radials $ 300
:D on face......... Priceless!

lakes Rick
10-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Mag Wadda ya think about the C-6 vettes?? Ya like those headlights????

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Mag Wadda ya think about the C-6 vettes?? Ya like those headlights???? 8p What do you think??? :D
They say as advanced the C5 was to the C4...the C6 is that far ahead of my car. Personallly, I don't like styling :( Looks like a chopped off C5. Mine's paid for and only has 50,000 mile.........I think I'll hang on to it.

lakes Rick
10-12-2004, 05:11 PM
8p What do you think??? :D
They say as advanced the C5 was to the C4...the C6 is that far ahead of my car. Personallly, I don't like styling :( Looks like a chopped off C5. Mine's paid for and only has 50,000 mile.........I think I'll hang on to it.

The Jury is still out on what I think.. I think the C-5 convertibles, like yours, are pretty darn nice... Havent seen a C-6 in the flesh yet....
Discovery channel had a documentary on the new one, test car in Germany, and the show car here, while GM was developing it.....

" What did fish taste like before women went swimming?"

MarkP
11-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Brian

The caster setup I have works great.. I do like the look of Doug’s a little better, but I was unable to find a wheel that size wrapped in poly (to make it quiet and not scuff the driveway)

I simply welded a 3” wide section of 5” x ¼” angle to a 3” x 9 ½” steel plate..

And welded the caster bracket to the angle. I bolted them on because my trailer is galvanized and I did not want to ask my neighbor (my welder) to weld galv.

I used 4" casters that have replacement wheels because I thought the poly might scuff off but after one season of use it looks like I may never need to change them.
http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=G15PY4x2-R

Ric
11-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey Mark let us know how the poly holds up and how often yours drags (like sometimes or everytime or something like that) to see if it's a working solution.

I know a place that bonds urethane to rollers (so we could choose our own diameter) but it might be impractical to get one set at a time.

BriEOD
01-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Ok Mark and co. I got everything welded together and just have to get some galvanized bolts, nuts, washers and attach to the prop guard when I get the boat back from the fiberglass guy next week. Mark thanks again for the angle iron and the tips! It's going to work great!! :toast:

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Looks good, Brian. How thick is the poly?

After a 2" lift and 5 1/2" drop on the trailer hitch, I can finally get down the driveway without dragging the wheels. On the street I love them because they don't need to be replaced as often as my big reds did.

BriEOD
01-21-2005, 04:10 PM
They are the same ones that MarkP has. He used them for a season and said their was barely any wear. The poly is like 1/4"-1/2" thick. They are heavy duty!!

aprgriggs
01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
those of you that have done this...is it worth the money to move the wheels. Also is this the only thing you can do to create more ground clearance?

bradamerry
01-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't even have a prop guard :confused: ??

Tom Wortham
01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
As the owner of steel rollers, I know how happy the poly rollers (or whatever) are making you. I went for low profile steel and it has left some pretty ugly marks on my driveway. Fortunately, the lift kit has solved this problem. It takes a hefty angle, but I don't touch at all any more. This picture is right after they were installed (forgive the primer on the trailer). I'll have to upload a post-lift picture soon, too.

Doug,
I know there is a thread out there some where... But, I thought I would start with "The Man". How difficult was it to put a "lift" on your trailier. I have a 86 MC with the stock trailer. The ramp I would like to use does not slope down enough to get the boat off the trailer. I figured if I raised the trailer a little... I could back down further to have the boat float before I hit the grown. I guess "rollers" would work as well... Just added a prop guard to the trailer last season. Thanks. :cool:

Tom Wortham
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
They are the same ones that MarkP has. He used them for a season and said their was barely any wear. The poly is like 1/4"-1/2" thick. They are heavy duty!!

Can you get these wheels from your local hardware store? Special order? and What about the angle brackets?
I wonder if this is all I need or a "lift kit" for the the trailer as well? :confused:
I only have a problem at the one ramp. (The closest one to the house).... it's not far... but, would rather use the closer ramp.
Comments.Suggestions welcome. :friday:

aprgriggs
01-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Doug I would like to see the before and after lift picture, too

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Tom, lifting the trailer will not float your boat quicker, but rather, will make you have to put it in that much farther to float it. I had a guy who fabricates RVs custom make my blocks. They are fabricated so that there is no roll fore and aft. The ride is unchanged. For ground clearance you can get different springs (I think someone got them from Rambo Marine. You can also use a drop hitch. I got my drag wheels at pak industries. They are specially designed for boat trailers. They are stainless steel. I wish they had poly, but not yet in this design.

Pak Industries (http://www.pakindustries.com/micro_marine.html)

Pictures to follow.

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Here's the boat after the lift.

OHIOPRO205
01-23-2005, 03:29 PM
East TX Skier , I have trouble getting my 95 PS205 in my garage. I built it before I got the boat. What did lifting the trailer involve? 2" to 3" would get me in with no problem. Any help would be great.

BriEOD
01-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Tom,

I copied what MarkP did. Here is a link for the casters:
http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10E...Code=G15PY4x2-R

A friend of mine sent me the angle iron. I took it all down to the base to the metal shop. They had a new airman who did it for me and they wrote it off as training.

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I had a local guy (yellow pages) who builds RVs take a look at it. After doing so, not liking the looks of what was commercially available, he fabricated some steel blocks for me (2") for the same price or less (memory fails). The blocks were installed right over the axle with the springs on top of them. Longer u-bolts were installed to accomodate. I had the axle aligned and afterwards, he welded the pins in place in case I dropped it off the end of a boat ramp, he didn't want me pulling forward and fouling the lift blocks (worse case scenario).

Storm861triple
01-27-2005, 07:53 PM
To the original poster:

Where did you get that nice, polished stainless rudder?? Tommy likey!

André
01-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Looks like a 03 35 th Special Edition with all SS underwater gear...ICBW

MarkP
01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Here's the boat after the lift.
Nice clearance Doug. This is the first time I’ve been over to this thread in a while.

I also added a lift kit of (about) ¾ 0f an inch that I custom made out a thick steel plate.

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Did that lift help out at all? I went for a little more because my steel wheels crush my cobblestone driveway. I still have to use a 5.5" drop to get it up the driveway with a good angle.

MarkP
01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Doug

I think the actual thickness was just under ¾ and it did ease the drag a little. I went with the thickness that I did because that’s all of the extra u-bolt I had sticking out of the nut (about 1”) and since I had plans to add wheels, I wasn’t worried about a complete fix. The part was easy to make and ended up being about free. (I got a piece of scrap plate from the fabrication shop up the street)

I still drag my driveway and 2 or3 places on the way to the lake that I use most often. The poly wheels are great. I try to slow down when I know they are going to contact the road. If I forget I just get a little “bump” and keep on going. Not like before the wheels, bang, :rant: scrape,:rant: scratch, :rant: scrape, :rant: bang, and go look to see if the prop guard is still with me

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Poly wheels are the way to go, but I've made my bed and will lie in it until pak industries makes a poly wheel that I can swap out. The other part of my problem is that my prop guard lost some clearance when I replaced it with a 1" hunk of solid steel. Even if the rollers fall off and it hits, I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Ok Guys,

I made some drag wheels out of castors. I copied the same design MarkP did. It is a great design and easy to mount. I have them ready to go including galvanized hardware. Unfortunately my prop guard is not at a 45 degree angle, it's more of a 60 degree. I didn't check it before I started I assumed. Anyway now I'm stuck with something I can't use. I'm not sure what year MC started going to a different prop guard. But, I'll take $60 and the shipping if someone can use these. The castors are brand new from Castor City in Las Vegas and I had a professional welder put them together. Please let me know if you can use these otherwise I have one more thing for my garage to collect dust.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 09:20 AM
And another...

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Last one...

Tom023
02-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Can you tell from the picture I have in my album if my trailer is 45 or 60 degrees? I'm thinking it looks like 60, it's a 2001. If they fit, I'll take them.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
You have a 45 degree and they will fit. On the first page of this thread look at MarkP's posting. He has a photo of the set up and it is the same prop guard as you have. Shoot me an email at BriEOD@comcast.net and we can work out the details.

rasmithaz
02-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I think somebodey should start manufacturing these drag wheels and start selling them in this site. I don't have a drag problem but I would buy this application as an insurance in case I got in trouble. If you blew out a tire on a single axle trailer these drag wheels would give you a jump on slowing your vehicle and boat trailer down to a more manageble speed. If you had a tandem axle trailer the insurance would not be as important but it would cetaintly help.

captkidd
02-22-2005, 02:55 PM
If you blew a trailer tire at highway speeds, the drag wheels might help for a few seconds, but I imagine they would disintegrate (or the brackets would break loose) at those speeds. I'm certainly not knocking them, as I put a set on my trailer about 10 years ago. I'm on my 3rd set of wheels; the others eventually wore out from dragging into gas station parking lots and the like. My current wheels are steel, which have held up better (but I don't have an issue with them scratching my driveway either).

Ric
02-22-2005, 03:49 PM
They are further from the ground than would be effective for a backup in the event of a blowout anyway aren't they?
They would have been nice to have when the spring on my y2k trailer failed and the wrecker tried to slide my trailer into place at that harsh angle of the flatbed wrecker.

AirJunky
02-22-2005, 04:18 PM
They are further from the ground than would be effective for a backup in the event of a blowout anyway aren't they?

Depends on how high/low your receiver & tongue are. I've seen them only a couple inches off the ground. Mine tows almost totally level & is maybe 6" high without the wheels.

RoscoB190
04-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry Brian for taking so long to get this picture posted. Thanks Brian for making them! And thank you MarkP for the design! They work great!

MarkP
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
They look great Rosco.. They are white by now ??

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Did you just have them welded on???

MarkP
04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Looks like the angle is welded to the plate and the plate is bolted to the trailer..

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
why not weld the whole thing? Wouldn't it be stronger?

MarkP
04-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I bolted my setup on because my trailer is galvanized and I didn’t want to ask my welder to do that. I think if I had a painted trailer I would consider welding it on but strength isn’t much of an issue. Bolting works great for me.

MarkP
04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Oh,

My setup is on the first page of this thread.

BriEOD
04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Ross--looks good man! I'm glad they worked out for you.

MarkP
04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Brian

Are you going to try again?

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks for the knowledge :D