PDA

View Full Version : Winterization shock!!!

jraben8
11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
So I pull the MC out of the garage and around front to run stabilizer into the fuel system since I probably wont be using it for a while.

Notice while it's idling that there is something in the bilge... and it's red... Great! Transmission fluid. Shut it down. Then it becomes interesting... Evidently the wire ties that were holding the blower hose to the exhaust tubes under the floor broke the last time that we were out. The coupling for the shaft to the transmission had blower hose and depth finder cable completely wrapped around it so tight that it was pressing on the transmission seal causing that to leak.

Not to mention that the city came by while the engine was running and threaten to fine me $410 for running the garden hose out side of my allotted "watering time" since we're still on water restrictions.

It took me about 45 minutes to cut away and free all of the hose and cable from around the shaft coupling and transmission seal. So far the release of pressure from the seal corrected the leak as well as far as I can tell.

Sorry, I just had to tell someone...

Oh, and how much ATF fluid should be in there? I have no idea how much leaked out other than enough to make a huge mess.

vogelm1
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Hopefully that corrected things. I know you'll be keeping an eye on the seal for a while just in case...that is a good thing because it doesn't take much to ruin them. The transmissions don't hold all that much...mine takes 1.7 qts of ATF. Would guess if it made that much mess, you'll be adding a fair amount. Should be able to add a little bit at at time through dip stick hole and re-check on the dip stick until you're back at full mark.

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
What year and tranny? Might be a good time to make the switch to 15W40 oil in the tranny.

jraben8
11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
It's a '99 with the HSW 450 transmission. I was planning on changing it in the spring anyway.

I just looked at it again and it doesn't appear that it is leaking at this point but this will weigh on my mind for a long time. Just what I needed was another winter project...

Ric
11-21-2006, 11:05 AM
do you guys always have the watering restrictions in your area or is it simply that dry right now?

sanjuan23
11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
It's just that dry right now. We have some area lakes that are down by as much as 17 feet. Some of the smaller municipalities around DFW are on some strict watering restrictions. We need the type of rain you have had down there for the past couple of months. We have been in "severe" drought conditions since last March or April.

Ric
11-21-2006, 11:33 AM
YIKES

Yes, we've had plenty of rain here fo-sho

Farmer Ted
11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
It's a '99 with the HSW 450 transmission. I was planning on changing it in the spring anyway.

I just looked at it again and it doesn't appear that it is leaking at this point but this will weigh on my mind for a long time. Just what I needed was another winter project...

You have the 1:1 tranny, it should be just under two quarts, look towards the back of your owners manual to verify.

When you change it, be sure to drain (suck it out) and let it sit and go back and drain any further fluid that may have seeped back into the reservoir. If you fail to do this you may overservice.