PDA

View Full Version : winterization of an LT-1....pink antifreeze?

procamp
11-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I've looked around here as much as possible, and tried to find your "old" website (heard there's lots of good stuff there) but I have a huge concern.

The JACKA$$ES at Lighthouse Marina at Lake Wallenpaupack, PA finished the engine replacement finally and put pink antifreeze in the engine as a part of the winterization process. I called them after I found out, and they swear that it is OK for aluminum heads in my LT-1. Of course, after a 4 month engine replacement, why should I doubt their abilities?!!!

All the resources here, which I trust implicitly more than them, tell me that this is not good.

My question is this...Is there ANY type of pink antifreeze that IS OK for aluminum heads, and what is the brand name of it?

Thanks for your continued help,

Bill

rhsprostar
11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
They put marine a/f in my lt1 and that was at the MC dealer two days ago. Can't see that it would be a problem.

Doug G
11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know about the a/f and the aluminum heads but I would head over to Sterling Marina if I was you. They are awesome ppl and will help out with whatever you have going on.

Jerseydave
11-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't know about the a/f and the aluminum heads but I would head over to Sterling Marina if I was you. They are awesome ppl and will help out with whatever you have going on.

I agree with Doug.....the guys at Sterling marina are great!

Regarding pink a/f, I think you're okay but the better choice would be the BLUE a/f that is good to -100 degrees. I think the pink is good to
-50 degrees. Plus it's made for engines, not just for plumbing on rv's.

Threadjack.....you guys from Lake Wally have to come to our 2nd annual NJ east-west wakefest next summer. Date TBA. It's going to be a great party on the Delaware river! (Last year we had Parks Bonifay and Brett Eisenhauer there, very cool!)

NatesGr8
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Pink anti-freeze will be fine. it will not harm any of the engine components. As a side note, with an lt1 you don't need antifreeze at all, just pull the drain plugs on the back of the exhaust manifolds and the plugs on each side of the block (one side has the temp sensor in it). If you do this you'll be fine.

shepherd
11-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I've always used the pink antifreeze on my boats with no ill effects. But, I never had aluminum heads...

Footin
11-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't antifreeze, just drain it.

Chief
11-25-2006, 10:59 PM
You will be fine with pinky. Cover her up and get ready for the spring!

blackcreek
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
What year is your lt1? My 97 has steel heads. It is not very cold in jacksonville over the winter but when it does freeze I just empty the block,manifolds,and cooler lines.