PDA

View Full Version : Ipod or Zune?

kycat2007
11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey guys my girlfriend is really wanting a mp3 player and is asking me about them. I would like to know if this Zune is a good product or should she stick with IPOD shuffle, Nano, and or The regular IPOD?
I am thinking the Nano might be best for her.

dmayer84
11-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Hey guys my girlfriend is really wanting a mp3 player and is asking me about them. I would like to know if this Zune is a good product or should she stick with IPOD shuffle, Nano, and or The regular IPOD?
I am thinking the Nano might be best for her.

The Zune will not work with Vista if you plan to upgrade. The IPODs are designed to only have a battery life of one year, its a toss up.

thijs
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I have the 30GB iPod Video. IMO- overkill. I have 2142 songs right now, 19 videos (5 full length movies), and 2562 photos. I still have 16GB available out of 27.8 actual memory!!!

I think the best option would be the 4GB Nano: It is small, common, lots of memory, and is 'Flash' memory. The Video version has a hardrive which includes little itty-bitty moving parts, more too break.

Stick, with iPod, there are so many aftermarket accessories and iTunes is really good software to organize your playlists.

BrianM
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I just bought my wife the new iPod Shuffle. She just wanted it for her running and workouts so size was basicly the only concern. 1g of storage for a total of about 250 songs in something as small as a matchbook. The photos don't do it justice. This thing is tiny. Perfect for her.

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Don't know about the zune, looks cool I guess. haven't seen one in person.

Ipods do sometimes have battery issue, but i've replaced mine for 10 bucks with extra long running batteries ordered out of hong kong, not a tough job.

Don't know about nanos and battery issues,

I'd say shuffle or nano, nano allows you to have more stuff, and choose songs easily, shuffle you just shuffle through the music, but either would be good for just listening, or while running.

BIGBADBLUE
11-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I am buying the wife a Nano this year. We have 4 i-pods in the family already so that is a consideration for us. I just really like the design of the iPod. I still have my G1 i-pod ... replaced the battteries and it is still going. I just think Apple is ahead on these products and will continue to stay ahead.

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
lol, well i just remembered this, the Microsoft Ipod parady, what if microsoft built the ipod..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1De_N4JF5-M

bigmac
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I have the 30GB iPod Video. IMO- overkill. I have 2142 songs right now, 19 videos (5 full length movies), and 2562 photos. I still have 16GB available out of 27.8 actual memory!!!

I think the best option would be the 4GB Nano: It is small, common, lots of memory, and is 'Flash' memory. The Video version has a hardrive which includes little itty-bitty moving parts, more too break.

Stick, with iPod, there are so many aftermarket accessories and iTunes is really good software to organize your playlists.
I agree, especially with all the aftermarket software out there - the iPod in its various forms is almost certainly the most flexible.

I have the 60 gig iPod, but I need that size because I keep many, many movies on it. These include popular titles, but mainly are videos we do at work here. I do a lot of teaching and give a lot of presentations and that 60 gig iPod is great for playing back videos or PowerPoints through a projector. I agree that if we're just talking about music, an iPod Nano is tough to beat.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Gotta love this stuff...
Who dun it (http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/microsoft-blames-apples-quality-checks-for-ipod-virus)

Sodar
11-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I have always been a huge advocate of Apple. I have always had an Apple computer and I am always impressed with the simplicity of design in their products.

With that said, hearing about the Zune, I am impressed. The features such as an FM tuner, Wireless Capability and a large/high resolution screen all sound promising. I know that the iTunes platform supports MANY non-Apple mp3 players on the market and I am sure that the Zune will be added to that list.

However, for now I am going to stick with my 20 gig, 2nd Generation iPod. There is rumor that in the future all iPods, will have flash memory, eliminating the hard drive and the problems associated with them!

Jesus_Freak
11-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Minor Threadjack...What is the cheapest way (single device, expansion card, etc.) to combine the scheduling capabilities of a PDA with the audio capabilities of an IPOD?

Jesus_Freak
01-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Since no one put an end to my threadjack above, I will offer some info in case anyone cares. :)

For the mini PC + MP3 player to which I alluded, I bought my wife a Palm E2 with expansion card. I researched it a bit, beforehand, and found it to be a good solution. It works flawlessly, as long as you dont mind installing two versions of that popular virus known as realplayer 8p .

pkskier
01-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Came along late to this thread. I got a 30 gb Creative Zen Vision M, holds 15000 songs plus videos, pictures, fm radio & organizer. Is cheaper than either the Ipod or Zune. Love the way it works. So far I have no complaints, glad I get this instead of the Ipod.

Jesus_Freak
01-19-2007, 03:41 PM
My son has a Zen. I found it to be a little more finicky in terms of the communication with the PC, but overall it was good buy for us as well.

mitch
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Zune looks cool, but IPOD all the way....

skisix@38
01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
I recently came into an Ipod Video after going through a year with a Philips GoGear 30GB player. The Philips by itself worked ok, it was a little slow to navigate but I never had problems with it and the battery lasted a long time. The trouble was the interface between it and the computer. I finally gave up and Circuit City replaced it straight across with the Ipod video. I like the Ipod much better and the computer interface has been great so far- I just want to put the things I want into Itunes and then plug my Pofd in and walk away and it's that easy.
The infastructure out there for Ipod is unbeatable IMO.

Jesus_Freak
01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
The infastructure out there for Ipod is unbeatable IMO.

Yes, my other son has an IPOD. I could not agree more with you. The interface on the IPOD is far superior to that of the Zen or Palm.