PDA

View Full Version : Over the Tower Cover

Doug G
11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
I am going to replace my cover this winter. This is an idea I am kicking around to have made. My boat floats in a slip from May to October ish.

Downside I see is material cost (will be sunbrella) and would not work for trailering (see also kite) but I rarely trailer and could use the old cover for that. Upside I am thinking easy on and off, no puddle poles, no stretch / puddle issues, tower is also covered.

Forgive my primative drawing. I would include some venting method would have a reinforced hole for around the tower light to center it and would have it cinching on the side.

peason
11-20-2006, 08:13 AM
A good friend of mine did exactly what you are thinking of - he had it done at a local shop - they even made the cover to fit around his board racks. The first year he had it we were at his house and got off the lake just before a huge storm hit - in our rush he forgot to strap it down. The wind was so strong it pulled the cover off and he found it later that day a couple of hundred yards away in the tall weeds. No problem had a hole repaired and some vents added - good as new.

His cover comes all the way down to the water line to help protect the gel-coat and over the swim platform. Only cost him about $400.00. I am thinking of doing the same next summer.

peason
11-20-2006, 08:13 AM
oops - double post.

Jerseydave
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Doug,

Good idea, I'd just be worried about high winds. Would the marina let you erect a canopy of some kind attached to the dock instead? (like an EZ-up) It would be like your own portable garage.

Off-topic, we need an off-season MC owners get-together here in the Northeast, don't you think?

dmayer84
11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Off-topic, we need an off-season MC owners get-together here in the Northeast, don't you think?

I would be game for that, give me a reason to take off from work.

Doug G
11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Doug,

Only if there is booze or water or both involved. Off-season i'll go for the booze option.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-22-2006, 02:24 PM
I have had two covers made by HBP (formerly hot buddies products)> I have their card at home. the owner's name is Patrick Cone. He makes great stuff....grabage sacks, personal belongings sacks, tower covers that are towable and also cover the racks. they fit over the tower, lioghts, speakers, racks etc and cinch up tight just above the deck of the boat. Then, you take long lengths of bunge cord and cinch it all down so that it doesn't flutter when towing. It works perfectly. For quick installation just cover the tower and zip up in a heavy down pour. you can probably tow around 25-30 mph without cinching with the long lengths of bunge he supplies. 100% waterproof. and quick and easy. 100% nylon, not sunbrella. look HBP up on line and give patrick a call. He has great service for warranty, also. Good luck.

Doug G
11-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks ...... they look like some intersting items

http://www.hbpinnovations.com/index.html