PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start.....Help

lassy
11-19-2006, 11:22 PM
So I dropped my x star in the water today for a little afternoon cruise and noticed that i had to keep the key turned for a few seconds before the starter did anything. will pulling the starter and lubing it help? i read in the manual that this should be done every year or so. since i just got the boat, i haven't done it, and i'm sure the previous owner never did it either. i noticed that the engine cranked fine a few times, but then a couple times it hesitated.

to clarify, the engine isn't cranking and just not starting. i turn the key to start, i hear "click" then i hold the key there, and then there is a delay and it fires right up.

any suggestions?

JimN
11-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Did you hear a click or clunk? If not, look for loose battery clamps and make sure the lanyard is engaged fully on the safety switch. Other than that, yes- spray some PB Blaster on the shaft and cycle it a few times. White lithium grease spray will work for this too. Another thing that I was told by a body shop owner is that for door hinges etc, slide oil for guns is great. Waterproof, lubricates well and doesn't come off easily.