PDA

View Full Version : Decal Removal

jayderwin1
12-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I have a 86 PS Mastercraft i was thinking about removing the decals they're not in bad condition i just don't like the style. My boat is not the stars and stripe its the other version the Gel Coat is pretty white but you would probably be able to see were the decal use to be. So my question is do you think it would look good if i did this?

east tx skier
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
I'd leave it. I think it looks great as is. If I was buying a boat, and all other things were equal, I'd buy the one with the decals on it. Just my $.02.

G-man
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Leave it alone it looks great

BriEOD
12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a boat 1 year newer. Last year I replaced the MC and Comp Ski Boat decals on the stern. When I took them off you could see if you were looking hard at it a difference in color. It wasn't glaring but I could see it. Just some FYI.

jsonova99
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
I like them, gives the boat character :twocents:

OhioProstar
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
You can use a 1200 and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to bring all the color back. Make sure to use a compound afterward.

Thrall
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
I think those decals look pretty trick, retro!
If you do take them off, like OhioPS said, you can sand/polish out the shadow, unlesss your gelcoat is real badly yellowed, then it might take more sanding than its worth. Your boat looks in good enough shape though.
When I took the decals off my 96, one side was badly oxidized and slightly discolored from being in the sun (other side was shaded where the moron stored it). I did not have to sand at all, just buffed w/ med grit 3M compound and polished w/ 3M Finesse-It polishing compound and you couldn't see the outline unless your eyes were about 6" away from the hull and knew where to look. I put new (the same) stickers back on and couldn't even use the old shadow/outline to locate the decals.
If you're removing them, a heat gun is the best. Heat up to almost too hot to touch, don't let the gun sit still in one spot, and peel until they cool and rip. Then start over. Lacquer thinner and clean rags will take off the glue.

87MC owner
09-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I think those decals look pretty trick, retro!
If you do take them off, like OhioPS said, you can sand/polish out the shadow, unlesss your gelcoat is real badly yellowed, then it might take more sanding than its worth. Your boat looks in good enough shape though.
When I took the decals off my 96, one side was badly oxidized and slightly discolored from being in the sun (other side was shaded where the moron stored it). I did not have to sand at all, just buffed w/ med grit 3M compound and polished w/ 3M Finesse-It polishing compound and you couldn't see the outline unless your eyes were about 6" away from the hull and knew where to look. I put new (the same) stickers back on and couldn't even use the old shadow/outline to locate the decals.
If you're removing them, a heat gun is the best. Heat up to almost too hot to touch, don't let the gun sit still in one spot, and peel until they cool and rip. Then start over. Lacquer thinner and clean rags will take off the glue.
Thrall,
I have a 1987 Prostar and the red is now maroon with age. Do you think I will be able to bring 80% of the color out with 3M compound or will I damage what is left?

Thanks,
James

87MC Dave
09-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I used just go done using the 3M heavy duty Rubbing compound and wax in one. The trick is to use a heavy duty polisher. I wen to Harbor Freight tools and got a 7" right angle Polisher/sander and used it. Works great. The boat won't be back to 100% but she will shine.