PDA

View Full Version : Waterline Covers - use them in or out of the water?

C36
11-18-2006, 02:01 PM
We float our boat (see pictures in our gallery) for a 3-6 weeks each summer while it is being used every day. We will be replacing our boat cover and I have been impressed with what I have seen of waterline covers (particularly the ones at www.skiboatcovers.com). But all of the pictures I have seen show them in use on lifts or trailers - does anyone use theirs while their boat is in the water? :confused:

If not we may go with the "flaps" option (flaps up when in the water and flaps down when stored out of the water).

Thanks in advance for your comments! :)

TMCNo1
11-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Waterline covers are intended more for lift and trailer use than for use while the boat is in the water. The term generally means the cover comes down to the waterline/chine to protect the sides from sun damage. If said cover is on the boat in the water, chances are bottom part of the cover will be in the water and can wick water up into the cover on the boat after it has been wet for a period of time and will create a continuous wet enviornment for mold and mildew in/on the wet material.

Sodar
11-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I do not have a picture, but on our 31' center console, we had a custom waterline cover that we used on the boat during the summers. The cover was intended to hang a few inches above the water, but with the boat full of 180 gallons of fuel, the last 3 feet or so had about 2 inches that hung in the water. It was no big deal, it just left a stain from marine growth and salt. If you are really worried about the cover hanging in the water, you could have a custom waterline cover made that hung a few inches above the waterline, just make sure that when you measure it, the boat is in its intended storage state (i.e.- fuel, gear, etc.). In my opinion though, if you have your cover made of Sunbrella, a few weeks of it hanging in the water is not going to ruin it, maybe just stain it a little.

BriEOD
11-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Have one and use it all the time. However, my boat sits on a trailer most of the time.