PDA

View Full Version : robotic vacuums................................?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Anybody have one, or considering one?

Leroy
11-18-2006, 12:02 PM
I do not have one, but I still think they are a gimmick.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-18-2006, 12:06 PM
And I thought for sure you'd have one Leroy...... You disappointed me..:o

Hoosier Bob
11-18-2006, 12:11 PM
The Cherry 2000 looked pretty good!8p

wiltok
11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I have two - they work well. It doesn't have the same 'vacuum' as a regular vacuum - but it does work well. Along the walls and some corners can be a challenge - and it does tend to get stuck on certain items (under a couch that is a few inches off the ground, some loose carpets, etc). Overall, I think they are great.

shepherd
11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I've got one. I just set it in the middle of the room, push the button and leave it when I go to work. It simply runs around the room until the battery power runs out. The robot logic is fairly impressive, though random. It will walk along walls and around furniture really well.

It's not fully automatic -- you still have to empty it out after each use. And I have to pick it up and place it back on its charger when it's done. But it's nice to be able to just push the button and let it go. If you're in a hurry to clean the floors however, you'll get the room done a lot quicker if you push a vacuum cleaner around manually.

Leroy
11-18-2006, 01:20 PM
My wife found a cleaning service and for $50 a week 3 ladies come in and clean everything, ~3 hours. With this vac you still have toilets, counters, and everything else that needs cleaning, plus the argument over who is going to clean it and then what are you going to do since I cleaned the house......$50 well spent! ;) cleaning and organization are not my thing, want to see my garage again? :D

And I thought for sure you'd have one Leroy...... You disappointed me..:o

Workin' 4 Toys
11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
My wife found a cleaning service and for $50 a week 3 ladies come in and clean everything, ~3 hours. With this vac you still have toilets, counters, and everything else that needs cleaning, plus the argument over who is going to clean it and then what are you going to do since I cleaned the house......$50 well spent! ;) cleaning and organization are not my thing, want to see my garage again? :D
Note to self.....^^^^^^^^......;)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2006, 01:08 AM
I've got one. I just set it in the middle of the room, push the button and leave it when I go to work. It simply runs around the room until the battery power runs out. The robot logic is fairly impressive, though random. It will walk along walls and around furniture really well.

It's not fully automatic -- you still have to empty it out after each use. And I have to pick it up and place it back on its charger when it's done. But it's nice to be able to just push the button and let it go. If you're in a hurry to clean the floors however, you'll get the room done a lot quicker if you push a vacuum cleaner around manually.
Is this a roomba by any chance?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2006, 01:10 AM
I have two - they work well. It doesn't have the same 'vacuum' as a regular vacuum - but it does work well. Along the walls and some corners can be a challenge - and it does tend to get stuck on certain items (under a couch that is a few inches off the ground, some loose carpets, etc). Overall, I think they are great.
When you say it gets stuck...What happens? Does it stay stuck until you move it?

agua4fun
11-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I have a Roomba Red. i like it, it does pick up plenty of stuff to fill up its bin every time, so it is doing something. if it gets stuck, it does a noble attempt at getting unstuck (lifting up and down, turning back and forth), but will turn off before too long, and will emit an "im stuck" beep" its kinda fun to watch the logic.
i seem to have to clean the brush quite often though....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't like the idea, but I am not the one that vacuums, so whatever may help.....I'll leave it at that...http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/party/bellyemoticon.gif

JimN
11-20-2006, 09:47 AM
It's only a matter of time until it finds its way home to recharge, too. With Bluetooth or RFID, it would be easy.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
It's only a matter of time until it finds its way home to recharge, too. With Bluetooth or RFID, it would be easy.
I thought they already find there way back to the base station for charging.:confused:

agua4fun
11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
yeah, i think some do. I need to empty it each time anyway, so whats the difference. other than trying to find it sometimes :)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Well, I might just have to see for myself........:o
Next..... One that does stairs...:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
All together
3 good and 2 no-good comments and a ..
It's only a matter of time until it finds its way home to recharge

Hoff1
12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
The Cherry 2000 looked pretty good!8p

Wasn't that an old movie from the 80's? Had some hot blonde that was a robot or something?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the replies to this. I will say now that I've had this for about 3 weeks. I will say I am impressed.
It is programmable to run in the middle of the night, there are virtual walls to keep it out of areas we don't want it to go in, it runs for a couple hours and then returns to its charging station all by itself to get ready for the next night. And it picks up alot more "stuff" than I would have imagined a contraption such as this would.
And it makes the kids laugh, it is now known as "The robot".

Oh, and did I mention it also works by remote control, so now I can just "drive" it over to the kitchen, have someone set a "drink" on it and drive it back to me.(all while cleaning)....And I thought I wouldn't enjoy such a device....:D And she told me I couldn't drive my remote control vehicles in the house....:D

ski_king
01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Which model did you get?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Which model did you get?
Roomba Scheduler (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=02035310000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) And this is where I bought it from.

pilot02
01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Saw a bunch of "Reconditioned" units at my local Big Lots for $150 bucks just the other day..

jimmer2880
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
.... blah blah blah.......

so now I can just "drive" it over to the kitchen, have someone set a "drink" on it and drive it back to me.(all while cleaning)....And I thought I wouldn't enjoy such a device....:D And she told me I couldn't drive my remote control vehicles in the house....:D

NOW I'M SOLD! :D

east tx skier
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Roomba Scheduler (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=02035310000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) And this is where I bought it from.

Can you get it with some beefy tires as an option. My little dude hasn't learned to clean up his toys yet and our house is like an obstacle course.

agua4fun
01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
i knew you'd like it :)

Leroy
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Pretty neat! I can see this remote control vehicle getting a rebuild soon for more horsepower!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Can you get it with some beefy tires as an option. My little dude hasn't learned to clean up his toys yet and our house is like an obstacle course.
It has beefy tires, and lifts itself if in trouble. I could see this being perfect for yourself if you put a plow on it..:D

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
i knew you'd like it :)
Yup, you should have told me they had a remote control one....;)
Pretty neat! I can see this remote control vehicle getting a rebuild soon for more horsepower
Maybe a brushless setup from Beaus 1/18 scale truck...I'd get the place done in half the time...:D

east tx skier
01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
It has beefy tires, and lifts itself if in trouble. I could see this being perfect for yourself if you put a plow on it..:D

Or a wood chipper. If only plastic would fertilize the carpet somehow. :)

ski_king
01-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I am waiting on this one.
http://geekido.org/media/lawnbot-04-cropped.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 12:30 PM
I am waiting on this one.
http://geekido.org/media/lawnbot-04-cropped.jpg
Ok, that is pushing the subject a bit. I am happy to cut my own lawn, my wife on the other hand has some alergic reaction to the broom apparently.:rolleyes: Can't say I blame her though..:D It's all good so far, with all that extra time on her hands....... JUST STAY OUT OF MY GARAGE...:D