PDA

View Full Version : Classic Dealer Experience Today

Archimedes
11-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Pick the boat up from winterization appointment, ask if they put antifreeze in the block. They say no. So I say, "so all I have to do it put the engine and manifold plugs back in come spring, hook the battery up and go, right". They say, oh no the plugs are back in, but we pull the drain plugs on the hull and you just need to remember to put them back in. Sounds odd, but I say fine.

Pick the boat up, in a rush, take it home, put her away in the garage. I notice the drain plugs aren't in the cup holder or the glove box. I check the bilge and guess what, they're still in the hull. And surprise, my bilge is full of water. Now I'm not an experienced boat mechanic, but something tells me that water shouldn't have been there...correct?

Could they have possibly drained my block and manifolds without pulling the drain plugs and not noticed it not draining out of the boat? How much water would that have been? I'm guessing about 2 gallons came out when I pulled the plugs in my garage. There may be some more in there.

Looks like I'm taking the boat for a nice drive tommorrow to make sure all the water's out.

erkoehler
11-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Its possible that they forgot to take them out, and mistakes happen...sorry to hear about your misfortune.

How deep was the water in the bilge?

erkoehler
11-18-2006, 01:52 AM
P.S.

From what you've stated about your dealer, I'd pull the plugs and make sure it is drained!

We (Chicago MasterCraft) leave the plugs in, but run all boats on antifreeze. The center drain plug is ALWAYS removed whenever a boat comes in to the shop no matter what it is in for.

Archimedes
11-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Its possible that they forgot to take them out, and mistakes happen...sorry to hear about your misfortune.

How deep was the water in the bilge?

I'm guessing they just forgot to take them out. When I looked in cockpit bilge it was probably 3-4 inches deep. I pulled the plug and about a gallon came out. Then I pulled the rear plug and only a bit came out, but when I cranked up the front of the trailer about another gallon came out. I'm gonna take a drive tommorrow to make sure it all drained out.

My local dealer just seems way overloaded. Their service dept folks are nice, but it appears they have one service tech and one service manager. I don't know how they get it all done.

TMCNo1
11-18-2006, 10:30 AM

My local dealer just seems way overloaded. Their service dept folks are nice, but it appears they have one service tech and one service manager. I don't know how they get it all done.

Apparently, they DON'T get it all done, evidenced by the water in your boats bilge from the plugs not being removed and it was not done at your expense. Did you question them about their not doing the job you paid them to do? That's called job security, by creating a situation that may bring them future repair jobs. If they arent challanged over it, then what will they NOT do next time and/or what else did they not do this time too! How many other customers fell all warn and fuzzy inside, thinking some nice service people winterized their boat properly and it wasn't and unlike you won't know it till it's too late?

east tx skier
11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I've never known of a dealer that didn't winterize with antifreeze. Not that it's a necessary thing to do (I don't do it), but from their standpoint, it's inexpensive and extra protection. Given your past experiences with this dealer, I'd do like Erk says and pull those plugs just to be sure. Next time, you might see if someone else is available to do this work or give it a go yourself. Like you said, making sure the water is out of the boat is sort of the point of winterization.

Archimedes
11-18-2006, 01:59 PM
After realizing what little they really did, I'm definately doing this all myself next year, if I even winterize at all. The only reason I did this year is I'm really busy at work and may not be able to run the boat much for a while. Figured I'd just winterize and use this as a test year to track temps in my garage all winter relative to the outside air and get to know my motor a little better.

Dealer was closed by the time I realized it. Don't think complaining would do any good anyway. I think it would just make it harder to get service again.

WTRSK1R
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
If it were me, I would at least pull the bottom hose from the circulation pump to the raw water pump output. There should NOT be ANY water in that hose. If they told you they pulled the bilge plugs, but didn't, I would be nervous if they ever winterized the block at all. If you find water in that hose, then there may be water in the block too. Just my :twocents:

Steve

Farmer Ted
11-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Did they take out your impeller?

You can loosen one of the screws on the face plate and see if water comes out.

Does your exhaust manifold have the drains on them? Open one and see.

G-man
11-18-2006, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]I've never known of a dealer that didn't winterize with antifreeze.
QUOTE]

Strange I don't know of a dealer in the DFW area that does use antifreeze. They ones in my area drain the block and stabilize the gas leaving the drain plugs and knock sensor in a plastic bag.

Hooterz
11-18-2006, 07:30 PM
What is the name of the dealership that you took it to. I need to have mine serviced and not really sure where to take it since this is my first boat.

Archimedes
11-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Did they take out your impeller?

You can loosen one of the screws on the face plate and see if water comes out.

Does your exhaust manifold have the drains on them? Open one and see.

No impeller change. I have to pull my boat out of the garage again to look in the engine bay due to the tower. Gonna do that tommorrow and see what they did.

Archimedes
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
What is the name of the dealership that you took it to. I need to have mine serviced and not really sure where to take it since this is my first boat.

Sent you a PM.