PDA

View Full Version : diesel gas cans

rodltg2
11-17-2006, 05:16 PM
once you go diesel can you go back to gas?

PendO
11-17-2006, 05:17 PM

yes, but not the other way around ... (only 93% sure of my answer)

edit ... now I am only 50% sure ... give it a try and see what happens to the Bu:)

thijs
11-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, the a LITTLE diesel in you gas will at worst smoke a bit. But make sure you let your gas can sit upside down to clear out a bit. I would definately not try it the other way.

Once I accidently ran mixed fuel for a lawn mower throught a gas tractors engine. She just smoked A LOT. Actually was quite embarrasing with all that white smoke.

TX.X-30 fan
11-17-2006, 11:40 PM

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blair
11-17-2006, 11:48 PM

yeah the little bit of desil that left in the jerry can wont hurt it... weve used a jerry can for the bobcat and then went directly into the boat, the truck or the quads?

6ballsisall
11-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Its not ideal but it can be done. If the can is empty the little bit of residue shouldn't be a problem.

tommcat
11-18-2006, 08:50 AM
yes you can. the cross contamination is so minor it wouldnt hurt anything.
i get customers on a regular basis that fill their trucks with the wrong fuel. i just drain the tanks as best i can, flush the lines and replace the filters and they are all set. so the little bit left in the gas can is nothing in comparison.

jimmer2880
11-20-2006, 07:06 AM
yes, but not the other way around ... (only 93% sure of my answer)

edit ... now I am only 50% sure ... give it a try and see what happens to the Bu:)

We've done it many times. Just be sure to get a much of the gas out as possible before filling with diesel. The amt of gas left behind is next to nothing.

Now, ask me if it would do any damage to accidentally run gas in my diesel. Of course, that answer is a resounding YES, it would cause lots of damage.

Having said all that - it's my father who does the fuel switching. I have a hard rule - gas in gas cans, diesel (or kero) in diesel cans. No switch hitting with my cans.