PDA

View Full Version : Engine Block Cracking

jayderwin1
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I have a 86 PS and i live in TN. i like to start and run my boat about once a week, but when i am done i pull the block and exhaust plugs incase it freezes will it crack my block if i remove the plugs without it cooling down first?

Thrall
12-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Do you mean, by letting the water out and having the block temp increase? If so, I don't think that would happen except maybe under extreme heat (ran full throttle for 10 min straight and pulled the plugs before the boat even stopped, kinda thing).
I would only be concerned at all if you had Al components, but your old 351 iron motor will be fine.

jayderwin1
12-21-2004, 12:20 PM
When the motor is at running temp and i shut it down in 35 degree weather and drain all the water without letting the engine cool first and having the engine temp decreas fast

Hoff1
12-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I wouldn’t think that this would be much of an issue. You are basically letting is air cool. Old blocks have so much thermal mass that it will take a while for it to cool off anyway.

If you said that you were draining it, and then immediately filling with ice water – that might be a problem.

jayderwin1
12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the imput guy's i didn't think it would be to much of a problem i just needed some other opions