PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job

Jerwest
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I am recently new to this forum & am also a new proud owner of a mastercraft 1986 prostar 190. Honestly, it needs a lot of cosmetic work. I have spent a lot of time researching upholstry and have found some great solutions but now it's come to the contraversial topic of painting over a gel coat.

Now, I have read a lot of people write about how it is a bad idea, labor intensive, costly, etc. BUT, I have also heard a few people write that while it is very labor intensive, if you don't mind doing the work, it pays off big!

I work for a big paint manufacturer & can buy the best automotive/marine epoxy primers, activators, reducers, poly coats, and clear coats pretty much at cost. I am not painting the bottom of the boat that will be submerged in water.

I need someone who has succesfully done this to help provide me with step by step instructions including equipment, setting, clothing, prep, temperature, etc. Everything.

Is there anyone who has successfully tackled this process that could help?

Thanks~

erkoehler
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
No chance of wet sanding the boat?

Jerwest
11-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Isn't that just prep work before you would repair the gelcoat or prime?

sanjuan23
11-17-2006, 02:12 PM
The wetsanding method is to remove a good portion of the oxidized gel coat. More than the compounding method it really works wonders when done properly, although pretty time consuming. Check the FAQ's for pointers. Shepard also has a good thread going about his restoration project. I would if at all possible give the wetsanding a shot before attempting a repaint. Just my :twocents: Best of luck which ever way you decide to go. And as always pictures help!!

TMCNo1
11-17-2006, 02:20 PM
The wetsanding method is to remove a good portion of the oxidized gel coat. More than the compounding method it really works wonders when done properly, although pretty time consuming. Check the FAQ's for pointers. Shepard also has a good thread going about his restoration project. I would if at all possible give the wetsanding a shot before attempting a repaint. Just my :twocents: Best of luck which ever way you decide to go. And as always pictures help!!

As said above, click on this link, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550, to Shepherds 1990 PS190 Restoration Thread. There are mounds of info in it and there will be more to come, if you follow it in the thread.

JEREMY79
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I have done it. It will work. Check out the pics in my gallery

Footin
01-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Threadjack: Hey Jeremy, get a 502 for your boat yet?

H20skeefreek
01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
why don't you ask the tech people at your company? They manufacture marine paint? If so, they'd be the people to talk to. Shoot me an email if they can't help, and I'll tell you what to do.

JEREMY79
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Threadjack: Hey Jeremy, get a 502 for your boat yet?
Dave says no:mad:

DemolitionMan
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I paint my boat havent had any problems out of it. It has been painted since 2001. Check out my pics to see it.

gainerguy
01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I own a 1980 Black 19 Skier that has some faded areas, what works the best? Buffer and rubbing compound or wet sanding? I used a Mequires Color Restorer but that didnt seem to last. I may not have done it right, can any one help me out?

Thrall
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I own a 1980 Black 19 Skier that has some faded areas, what works the best? Buffer and rubbing compound or wet sanding? I used a Mequires Color Restorer but that didnt seem to last. I may not have done it right, can any one help me out?

Welcome, by the way.
I'd work progressively into it. You've proved it's too oxidized to clean up by hand. Next get a buffer, w/ the appropriate pad and rubbing compound and polishing compound. Try that next. Other threads have what's reccomended/used.
If that doesn't work, then wetsand.
Most of your rubbing compounds will take out 1200 to 1500 grit scratches. Polishing compounds are 2000 grit on up.
Start w/ the finest paper you can to get it done. I'd go 1200 grit first, then 1500, then 2000, then compound and/or polish.
Remember when sanding, gel coat is pretty thick compared to paint and will be hard to screw up and sand through th gel, EXCEPT, on outside corners (pressure points) and body lines, even 1500 grit will sand thru relatively quickly, so no direct pressure on these areas when sanding.

gainerguy
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks that definatley helps. I will be sure to take some before and after pics too. Oh what do I do about the decals?

shepherd
01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Decals can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply. What model boat do you have?

gainerguy
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Its a 1980 Stars and Stripes, the boat is all black. The decals are grey in color and I do need to replace them. I was told that there werent very many of these boats made in all black, does anyone know if this is true or not?

shepherd
01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Any decent automotive graphics shop or sign shop should be able to reproduce your existing decals for you. I took my boat to the shop, they took some digital photos and measurements of my existing old decals, and were able to recreate them on their computer. The cost was less than $100.

The old decals should peel off fairly easily if you hit them with a heat gun while you are peeling.

H20skeefreek
01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Its a 1980 Stars and Stripes, the boat is all black. The decals are grey in color and I do need to replace them. I was told that there werent very many of these boats made in all black, does anyone know if this is true or not?
Never seen one, how about some pics?

TMCNo1
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Never seen one, how about some pics?

That's right,

gainerguy
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Really?!?! Its in storage right now but I will try to get some pics on soon, and I will take some after pics when I get the oxidation out of it too.

milkmania
01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
I paint my boat havent had any problems out of it. It has been painted since 2001. Check out my pics to see it.

absolutely beautiful boat!

did you paint it?