PDA

View Full Version : 07 Fluid Motion vs. 07 Fogman?

jkski
11-17-2006, 10:06 AM
I read the previous posts regarding the various hardshell binding set-ups and I am trying to narrow down which one is truly the best between the 07 Fluid Motion and the 07 Fogman bindings?
The release system on the FM's looks like it is the best, especially when utilized in conjunction with the plate that allows you to use your factory drilled binding inserts on your existing ski?
If you were choosing between these 2, which would you go with and why?

Thanks in advance.

BrianM
11-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Fluid Motions. Having the dual plates really makes the release seamless and is supposed to cause less stress on the ankles. The dual plates also alows the ski to flex more naturally not to mention a lot easier to get back onto the the platform and back into the ski after a release.. I have heard lots of stories about non-release due to binding of the release pins with the Fogmans (front and rear pins). Add that to the fact that you have to drill extra holes in the ski... no thanks. There seem to be a lot more people on the FMs as well.

I have been extremely happy with my FMs. Great bindings and awsome customer service.

jkski
11-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Do the 07 FM's use any velcro at all, or are they free from this now? I have had some ankle injuries from my Animal bindings, and have had some people tell me that going to hardshells would be the worst thing I could do, however, I can't really see how/why, given the fact that your feet never truly come out of the bindings? I understand that injury can be caused if the release is not set right, just like with snow ski bindings, but my injuries have come from being ripped out of the Animals while they are fully laced-up.

BrianM
11-17-2006, 01:10 PM
My personal opinion is that the FMs are the safest and smoothest releasing binding out there, hardshell or rubber. I think they would be great if you have had an injury.

Yes there is still a little velcro but that is simply to stabalize the boots a bit and keep them in place when hopping of the dock etc. It is very low maintenance and just the regular heavy duty velcro that you can pick up anywhere if needed. It is not the Dual Loc.

rodltg2
11-17-2006, 01:15 PM
i dont have experience with either, but it seems like alot of folk are very happy with FM's . ive been wanting to make the switch from rubber, but someone at my lake made a comment a few weeks back that made me think. he said we pay so much money for our new skiis the are ultra light weight, just to load it back up with heavy hardshells.i dont know if there is anything to it or not, but for now im keeping my $700 and sticking to rubber. however if i do switch it will be FM's.

Archimedes
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I had settled on the FM's to try to solve my problem, but I'm still having trouble writing that big check. A lot of money to spend just on some bindings. Then again, one bad fall on my patchwork right leg and I'll probably wish I had em. I'm gonna spend the winter debating. Definately NOT drilling new holes in my ski though.

jkski
11-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I too am struggling with the price issue, however, I just spent the majority of this past season in pain and always wondering, so I have to do something. I love the feel of the animal bindings, and it is hard to simply shelve them, but the reality of re-injury may make it worth the cost.
As far as the velcro goes, does it serve any real purpose? From what I have seen in the pictures of the FM's, the back boot locks into the back of the front boot and then the release mechanism situated behind the rear boot...or am I just not seeing this right?
Thanks again for all the advice, it's nice to see I am not alone in this issue.

BrianM
11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
i dont have experience with either, but it seems like alot of folk are very happy with FM's . ive been wanting to make the switch from rubber, but someone at my lake made a comment a few weeks back that made me think. he said we pay so much money for our new skiis the are ultra light weight, just to load it back up with heavy hardshells.i dont know if there is anything to it or not, but for now im keeping my $700 and sticking to rubber. however if i do switch it will be FM's.
The FMs are heavier than say a set of Animals but not all that much and are about the same weight as a set of Approaches. Also remember that this weight is centered on the ski not at the tip or the tail so the rotational mass is no different. As far as cost goes they are not much more than a set of Approaches and the safety is so much better and they will last longer. And comfort. Did I mention comfort? What is safety and comfort woth to you? To save some money on the FMs give them a call and ask if they have a set of demos or last year models in your size. That is what I did and saved over $200.

As far as the velcro goes, does it serve any real purpose? From what I have seen in the pictures of the FM's, the back boot locks into the back of the front boot and then the release mechanism situated behind the rear boot...or am I just not seeing this right?.
The velcro keeps the boots from rotating on the ski where the front heal meets the rear toe. It also keeps the boots firmly on the ski when the ski is not loaded.

Brent
11-18-2006, 03:58 AM
Try them & if you don't like them send them back, I believe they have a demo program.I don't remember how much it costs though.

The velcro helps keep the boots on the ski when you are hooping around off a dock or platform. The system is designed to release when either foot gives adequate upward pressure.

88 PS190
11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I'd say the diablos are probably a bit "higher performance"
the boots are thinner, thinner liners etc.

the FM are very very comfortable, safe when set properly, and allow your feet to be separate from each other so you can get in and out of the boat, and onto your ski and such, works well for me.

jkski
11-20-2006, 11:57 AM
OK, last question......
If you were going with FM's, which would you choose... the "Double Six" or the "Carbon Quattro Double Six"? Keep in mind, I am not a pro and never will be, I'm just a guy with ankle problems looking for a better fix.

BrianM
11-20-2006, 12:15 PM
I would just go with the Double Six. I have a set of the Carbons only because I was able to get them for less than the Double Six because they were demos. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference though.

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 12:30 PM
I have the normal ones, non-carbon.

Unless you run your boots really tight, and like it really stiff you won't notice, unlike rubber boots that transfer motion due to rigidity in the low ankle FM's and hardshells in general transfer across the whole foot to the footbed, (pretty sweet).
Don't get them white like I did though, I'll be repainting mine this winter, plain white shells discolor (at home the lake water is so clear they didn't but at school its murky and they yellowed a bit)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/hawkskier/DCP_1197.jpg

here the only warm part is the feet.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/hawkskier/DSC00577.jpg oh and well under the vest, that glide skin stuff sure does keep the wind out.

rodltg2
11-20-2006, 03:13 PM
looks like well have the same set up if i switch to FM's

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM
its a sweet sweet setup.