PDA

View Full Version : Check it out.

Knoxes
12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/642637/Set72_01.jpg

MarkP
12-21-2004, 10:43 AM
My spare has big holes but not that big. I think the previous owner of my boat must have forgot to tighten it all of the way once. Yours too I’ll bet.

sfitzgerald351
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Even though a bent prop from the flat bed stinks, from the looks of that wheel you're pretty darn lucky nothing worse happened. Wow!

Knoxes
12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I think you're right Fitz. I think it had about another mile in it and then, I woulda been looking at a much bigger problem.

Thrall
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Holy shiet!
Knoxes,
Looks like the holes in that rim were meant to be larger than the lugs, w/ the nuts centering the rim up. Make sure those solid lug nuts are long enough that the stud is not bottoming out in the nut. Looks like the lugs could've been tight, but not snug to the rim.

André
12-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Could it be from putting the tire on,lowering the trailer and then tightening the lugs?
The wheel wouldn't be centered at that moment and so of the studs and nuts...
I would have the bearings check for overheat too and if ok ,regrease.
It seems when a trailer is not getting much use,things always go bad even in a short trip!

Knoxes
12-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I am almost 100% positive that I have never removed that wheel, in the 3 years I've had it. I had a flat this past summer, but I'm almost sure it was the other side. Strange, because I've used it maybe 10 times since I've owned it, and most of the time, it sits at the marina, empty, with the boat on a rack in dry storage. Never had a problem before. I wondered if someone at the marina had possibly used the wheel, but they say they didn't, and have enough of their own.

Disaster averted, if nothing else. The prop just got scraped on the asphalt a little. Nothing too bad.

Thrall, I'm gonna take a real hard look at the other side to make sure that lugnut's taper is working right.

Rockman
12-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Andre,

I agree with you on lowering the trailer before the nuts were tightened fully.

Just a dumb question, but does the trailer have spacer plates behind the rims? If so, that is your answer...but I highly doubt that there would be any spacer plates.

BriEOD
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow that is unfortunate. It's good to know that no one was hurt and you didn't lose the entire rig! :eek3:

OhioProstar
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Wow Knoxes. If I had to guess those lug nuts are too shallow and even though they looked and felt tight the wheel could still move a bit. Good thing you noticed and thanks for the warning on the flat bed if I ever need one.

H20skeefreek
12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/642637/Set72_01.jpg
The EXACT same thing happened to me on my last outing. I had taken off the wheel to do some hub work, then tightened the lug nuts. I always lower the vehicle, then torque the nuts, but my neighbor came over and started talking to me. she distracted me long enough that I forgot to torque my nuts =) and I didn't notice 'till we had driven 1/2 hour to the lake, went boating for the day, then pulled the boat out of the lake. We never would have noticed if my wife doesn't ride the boat up the ramp. sher heard the horrible noise and I checked it out and found what you just posted.

BriEOD
12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
That sucks! :mad:

H20skeefreek
12-22-2004, 08:41 AM
That sucks! :mad:

yes it does, luckily for me, I know the manager :D at West Marine who let me in after hours to buy the parts I needed (new turbo lube hub). It was late on a Sunday night :(

Knoxes
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
H20 - Can you fill me in on the parts? I checked out the West Marine catalog and there are quite a few options. I assume you got a new hub and a new wheel?

I've wracked my brains and the only thing I can think of is that when I replaced the damper plate this summer, we had problems getting the engine lift to reach over the side of the boat. It wasn't tall enough and the boom wasn't quite long enough. We atleast talked about removing the wheel and dropping the axle down on a 4x4, but ended up putting the lift in the boat. I don't remember for sure, but I bet I started to take the wheel off before Pop said (as he always does) "Now, just hold on a minute, let's think this through." He's the think-first kind. I'm the extra-parts-at-the-end kinda guy...

BriEOD
12-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Where are you going to get new rims?

Knoxes
12-23-2004, 04:35 PM
West Marine carries several different varieties. The trick, at this point, is figuring out which will fit right.

BriEOD
12-23-2004, 05:00 PM
It's a 14", 5 lug, right? :confused:

H20skeefreek
12-27-2004, 10:22 AM
H20 - Can you fill me in on the parts? I checked out the West Marine catalog and there are quite a few options. I assume you got a new hub and a new wheel?

I've wracked my brains and the only thing I can think of is that when I replaced the damper plate this summer, we had problems getting the engine lift to reach over the side of the boat. It wasn't tall enough and the boom wasn't quite long enough. We atleast talked about removing the wheel and dropping the axle down on a 4x4, but ended up putting the lift in the boat. I don't remember for sure, but I bet I started to take the wheel off before Pop said (as he always does) "Now, just hold on a minute, let's think this through." He's the think-first kind. I'm the extra-parts-at-the-end kinda guy...

Knoxes, sorry it's taken so long, i've been out of town.

What I bought was a 5 lug Turbo Lube hub for a tapered axle. It includes all of the bearings and seals and everything you need. I used my spare for now, but will be getting a new set of wheels in the spring. It's super easy to change, much easier than a conventional grease packed bearing. though you will need to follow the instructions for "stainless steel wear sleeves" that come with it, so make sure you have some hi-temp silicone. don't forget the rubber gloves.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=148718