PDA

View Full Version : What is this slight "bump" after prop engagement?

jaspav
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi, I have a 2001 Mastercraft X-10. When cold & still slightly warm, up until about 20 minutes of running, when I put it in gear (engagement is normal) and start adding throttle, there is a slight "bump" like it wasn't completely in gear. Or like there is some kind of slack in the drive line. After it is completely warmed up, it stops doing this. If you go from pulling someone and just slow down to idle, then throttle back up again, it doesn't happen again (even when cold) It has been doing this for about 2 years now (since I purchased the boat). I did not notice it when I purchased it. Any idea what this could be? Or how to fix it? There are no other symptoms along with this "bump" or slight clunk. My fear is that if someone else is pulling me, that they may put it in gear and give it full throttle, and what ever is bumping breaks.

Thank you

sanjuan23
11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Transmission slow to get to temp????

BrianM
11-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Have you checked the transmission fluid lately? Sounds like you may be a little low on fluid or maybe a little dirty. I would change the fluid and then double check that the level is correct. I bet that solves the problem.

jaspav
11-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I have checked the level and it was fine, but have not changed it lately.

CoFooter
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Check that your prop is in proper position on the shaft. Sometimes when installing the prop the spline is too low on the shaft and the prop does not seat completely on the taper. I thought I had a tranny problem for a while before I checked this. Reseated it and no more clunk issue. If thats OK check/change the tranny fluid. If it is old, or low, you will have the same problem.

Archimedes
11-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Could this be the damper problem I've heard grumbling about? Don't recall the exact term or function, but I recall overhearing someone complaining at a dealer about this issue and the symptom was a hard clunk right after engagement.

jaspav
11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
CoFooter, I have thought something like that might be the issue, and that is exactly what it feels like. The only thing is that it stops after it is warmed up. I will check that, if its not that, I will change the fluid.

Thanks everyone!

CoFooter
11-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Check it out. Mine seemed intermittent to at times so it took me a while to check the prop and only did as a last resort. You'd be surprised.

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Could this be the damper problem I've heard grumbling about? Don't recall the exact term or function, but I recall overhearing someone complaining at a dealer about this issue and the symptom was a hard clunk right after engagement.

You're thinking about the damper plate between the engine and trans.

Its normally more than a hard clunk after idle if its broken, lots of rattling, and if it goes fully out you don't have F or R.

It fulfills the roll of the clutch. Connecting engine to trans, though since the prop can slip in the water at engagement, it doesn't need to slip, so it just takes a bit of shock out by having a center section and an outter section connected with springs.

If that breaks the springs get loose and the whole thing makes tons of noise.

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Aren't 2001 models a tapered and keyed prop shaft? Splined came out later years I thought? If you have never done it...PLEASE be sure to leave the prop nut on (but loosened) when pulling your prop! You'll know why as soon as it pops off that taper! :D

Check around...PM MYMC or go to his site www.mymastercraft.com to see what he can offer and also ask him if you should swap your transmission fluid out for 15W40 motor oil. They started shipping from the plant around 2004(?) with 15W40 instead of ATF for noisey transmission issues.