PDA

View Full Version : 06 OEM Ballast wont empty

2QWICK
11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Has anyone else had issues with their ballast tanks not staying empty?

No mater how long I empty them I can never get them to hit "E". Additionally after 30 min or so the guages actually show that there is more water in them... the boat has less then 5 hours!! Do I just need to let the pumps empty longer or do these things just pull water in at their lesiure?

duckguy
11-15-2006, 03:19 PM
gauges are not very accurate -use your ears

2QWICK
11-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I figured as much but its still a PITA. I guess you can't trust them show an accurate "F" either - LOL

Is there any way to fix it? I know the first time we took it out they were bone dry and showed on E... i can't help but wonder if there is really water in them or not.

Chief
11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
The sending units are most likely the problem, on each of them they have adjustment pots to adjust the reading. Overall while they are nice to have I would not rely on them for nothing more than looks. If the sending units have had any salt introduced to them, they are done. Great idea, bad design.

I am familar with this because I have the same problems with my new Maristar 200/X2. I'm just going to live with it because I run with the tanks full so as long as water comes shooting out when full then that's it.

As posted sound is the best method of knowing when the tank is empty. I will be obvious when it's no longer pumping, a nice hollow sound resonating from the pump. If you have ran it for 30 min trying to drain the tank then I would inspect the impellers if you have done it more than once.

jeffrpod
11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Heard the new 07 models have auto shut-off's when full and when empty. That's great thinking on MC's part!

dapicatti
11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
would be nice to have. We have burned through the impellers once this year, and now use the ear test as well.

erkoehler
11-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Has anyone else had issues with their ballast tanks not staying empty?

No mater how long I empty them I can never get them to hit "E". Additionally after 30 min or so the guages actually show that there is more water in them... the boat has less then 5 hours!! Do I just need to let the pumps empty longer or do these things just pull water in at their lesiure?

Dude, please tell me you didn't leave the pumps running for 30 minutes:o

PendO
11-16-2006, 02:11 AM
When you first started emptying the ballast tanks did water come out at First????

As a general rule, turn off the pumps when the water start to "spit" out - there is not enough in there to worry about then.

"if" water did flow out for a while ... then you may have a bad sending unit.

"if" no water emptied then you have an electrical issue to the pump(s)

"if" water flowed out for a while, but the guage did not change, and you let the pumps run (dry) for an extended period of time, you have likely ruined the impellers in the pump(s) [relatively easy to replace]

> So, do your pumps work at all now?

2QWICK
11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
No I didnt run them for 30 min.. I ment that I can empty them untill they sound dry - then after about 30 min of being in the water they appear to have more water in them based on the guage. They "sound" empty so im sure that there is nothing in there and this is just a display issue...

And yes... I have put salt water in them - this will DEF be on my short list of issues for the 20 hour service. When i bought the boat I was VERY upfront about where i was going to use it... none of this is a major issue but just disapointing that somthing so simple doesn't work correctly. I'd expect this on a lesser quality boat but we bought a MC for the craftsmanship. I wont loose sleep over it as the rest of the boat blows my mind!!

erkoehler
11-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Saltwater will corrode the sending units for the ballast gauges, and they will not function properly. Hence, Saltwater series boats do not have ballast gauges.

2QWICK
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Awesome... i love my dealer but wish he would have told me that! I asked if I should get the SS series due to almost 100% SW usage.

PendO
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
your dealer sold you a NON-SS series boat knowing that you were going to use the boat primarily in Saltwater ... trying to wrap my mind around this ... stilll trying to wrap my mind around this ... still trying to wrap my mind around this ... if this is true ...trade it back in and get an SS series boat, a dealer should know better IMO! Better now than 100 hours down the road when you have engine issues or some other isses due to the salesman and not the brand.

erkoehler
11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
your dealer sold you a NON-SS series boat knowing that you were going to use the boat primarily in Saltwater ... trying to wrap my mind around this ... stilll trying to wrap my mind around this ... still trying to wrap my mind around this ... if this is true ...trade it back in and get an SS series boat, a dealer should know better IMO! Better now than 100 hours down the road when you have engine issues or some other isses due to the salesman and not the brand.

^ what he said cause I can't say it.

slink976
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
ERK you crack me up! I am with ERK i mean PendO!

2QWICK
11-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I talked to the dealer... they're going to see what they can do about the guages. There isn't that many SS boats cruising around in Jax so I have to assume that as long as you flush it out everytime that the engine will last.

dmayer84
11-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I talked to the dealer... they're going to see what they can do about the guages. There isn't that many SS boats cruising around in Jax so I have to assume that as long as you flush it out everytime that the engine will last.

Do you have the sealed cooling system on it?

slink976
11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
If you don't have a closed cooling system get one! Orca makes a good one had one on my 01 prostar. But as far as the guages go, on my 06 X2 it is the exact same thing. I just wait til it sputters then turn them off. Side note when you fill them and they get full.... don't just turn it off. Flip it to empty for a half a second this makes the impellers last alot longer. That might be an urban legend but i do it every time and have not had any issues with them.

Diesel
11-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Have you seen the wonderful CSX?? :D

2QWICK
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Nope.. no closed cooling. That is the ONE option that I would have liked to had (that I dont) but the boat was priced right. I asked about adding it later and was told that its under 2k and is an easy retrofit so we'll most likely do it in the next 12 months. The boat came with hydr. steering which IMO is 2nd most important SS feature.

PendO
11-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm still scratching my head ... no closed cooling ... wow ... here is a blurb on one of the SS series boats from the website ... I'll stop banging the drum ......

"The SS line offers a choice of Crusader 330 hp, 375 hp or 425 hp GM Vortec engines. The MariStar 280 SST offers a choice of twin Crusader 5.7 liter, 330 hp engines, or 6.0 liter, 375 hp engines. All of the SS engines are fresh-water cooled, protected with premium multi-coat non-corrosive paint and come with composite motor mounts.
But MasterCraft did not just slap a "saltwater" engine in their current line and declare these boats saline worthy. Instead they spent hundreds of hours offshore in Florida testing components like stainless steel gas shocks, hydraulic steering, fully sealed wiring, sacrificial anodes, raw water strainers and the Crusader engines in the roughest conditions to ensure MasterCraft is able to carry their solid reputation into this market.
"About 15% of our customers take their MasterCrafts on saltwater," says Ken Bernard, Cope McPhetres Marine, Seattle, Washington. "MasterCraft has always used premium components in the boats, so corrosion hasn't been a huge issue. Nevertheless, the SS line will increase the lifespan of vulnerable parts and help maintain MasterCraft's excellent reputation for premium resale-ability. We're excited about offering the Saltwater line to our customers."

2QWICK
11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah i read all that too... but it is what it is... Not like I'm gonna take it back and get a SS. The best I could do would be to be a jack a$$ and make then retro my X30 with SS stuff... but thats not my style. I made a call and voiced my oppinon so we'll see what happens.