PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my new tower speakers....

prostar205
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
OK - this winter's major project on the boat will be to replace the tower speakers. After reading a bunch the threads on Wakeworld on tower speakers it appears I have two main options.

1) Use the existing MasterCraft cans and replace the OEM Clarion component speakers with the following:

Kicker KM-625.2
Focal CA0165
Polk Mono MMC6500

Or sell the tower cans and speakers and replace them with one of the following:

Skylon Rubicon 450s
Wetsounds Pro 485s
NVS Addictions
Fusion

I am driving the tower speakers with 2-channels of my KX850.4 4-channel amp. At 2 ohms, this amp puts out 180W RMS at 12.5V.

What should I do??????

dmayer84
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
OK - this winter's major project on the boat will be to replace the tower speakers. After reading a bunch the threads on Wakeworld on tower speakers it appears I have two main options.

1) Use the existing MasterCraft cans and replace the OEM Clarion component speakers with the following:
Kicker KM-625.2
Focal CA0165
Polk Mono MMC6500
Skylon Rubicon 450s
Wetsounds Pro 485s
NVS Addictions
Fusion
I am driving the tower speakers with 2-channels of my KX850.4 4-channel amp. At 2 ohms, this amp puts out 180W RMS at 12.5V.

What should I do??????

How many speakers are you going to have 2 or 4?

macrogp18
11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
If you want to go with something big like NVS or a Liquid Trnds box, you need more power, at least an ARC 4150 XXK or a Zapco 1000.4.

prostar205
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
How many speakers are you going to have 2 or 4?

I currently have 4 MC OEM cans with the Clarion CM1362 component speakers installed.

My goal is to be able to hear the music fairly clearly while wakeboarding and skiing. However, I do not want to blast the people in the boat with music. I have 2 pairs (4 speakers) of the Clarion CM1632s inside the boat as well.

nuckinfutz
11-15-2006, 02:17 PM

Kicker KM-625.2
Focal CA0165
Polk Mono MMC6500

Skylon Rubicon 450s
Wetsounds Pro 485s
NVS Addictions
Fusion

What should I do??????

I think you should get rid of those stupid little MC cans.... to me!!!:D

prostar205
11-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I think you should get rid of those stupid little MC cans.... to me!!!:D

Nuckinfutz -

You all ready have 4 tower speakers don't you? You want more????

nuckinfutz
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Nuckinfutz -

You all ready have 4 tower speakers don't you? You want more????

Yes, I do have 4. The best way to increase volume is to increase drivers (speakers). Of course I will have to upgrade amps to.

The More the better!

dmayer84
11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I would take those 4 cans too, just lookin for cans to put JL's in that are at my local car audio place:D:D

prostar205
11-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I would take those 4 cans too, just lookin for cans to put JL's in that are at my local car audio place:D:D

dmayer84 -

I don't think the JLs will fit. These cans only accept the 6.5" speakers. I thought the JLs were 7". ICBW....

dmayer84
11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
dmayer84 -

I don't think the JLs will fit. These cans only accept the 6.5" speakers. I thought the JLs were 7". ICBW....

Woofer Mounting Hole Diameter (E) 6.25 in. / 159 mm off the JL site

Diesel
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
They won't fit.

PS decide what is important to you............SQ in/around the boat or ear piercing sound at 85'. This should narrow your selection down.

I run the Fusions with a SX900.4 and love the combo. Not the loudest on the lake but I can hear them at 75' and are great a lower levels while floating. I am not a fan of the pro-audio tower speakers.

prostar205
11-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Diesel -

Are you using only 2-channel of your SX900.4 to run the Fusions? Is so, are the Fusions running in 2 ohms or 4 ohms? The specs on my KX850.4 state that in 4 ohm mode at 12.5V, each channel only puts out 90W RMS which, if true, probably will not run those Fusions very well. However, in 2 ohm mode at 12.5V, each channel is putting out 180W RMS.

Am I reading the spec sheet correctly?

Diesel
11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Diesel -

Are you using only 2-channel of your SX900.4 to run the Fusions? Is so, are the Fusions running in 2 ohms or 4 ohms? The specs on my KX850.4 state that in 4 ohm mode at 12.5V, each channel only puts out 90W RMS which, if true, probably will not run those Fusions very well. However, in 2 ohm mode at 12.5V, each channel is putting out 180W RMS.

Am I reading the spec sheet correctly?

Yes, 2ohm stereo on two channels. The Fusions are wired at 2ohm from the factory so it just a matter of hooking them up. It's more power than the Diamonds can handle. I am thinking of upgrading the drivers to the D6 series this winter just for kicks.

trickskier
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Have you seen these?

www.roswellwakeair.com

Bobbyk
11-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I have two sets of Fusions for a total of 6 drivers and 4 seperate tweeters, and have several friends who have nvs and liquids and the horn stile is loud but to tinty or hollow on the highs and they distort when pushed, the fusions are well rounded sound, I am running them on a 4 channel zapco.

SKI*MC
11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Polk Momo Polk Momo Polk Momo!

prostar205
11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Polk Momo Polk Momo Polk Momo!

Which Polk Mono's??? The MMC6500s?

Foiler
11-17-2006, 03:51 AM
It really just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you really want to hear music good when you're riding forget car audio speakers unless you have 6 or more on the tower. You'll also need lots of power to push them.

You can have a nice sounding system that can't be heard once you add wind noise at skiing/boarding speeds. I have the NVS for the tower and fade the interiors off when the rider wants to hear the music. This works very well and they can be heard everywhere in the boat.

These are outdoor drivers and speakers, usually half way up or less is plenty of volume for the rider. And they are correct sound quality is slightly less as other speakers but while the boat is moving or when you're skiing you cannot hear the difference.

The only downfall is they are heavy weighing in at 37lbs.

RexDog1
11-17-2006, 10:11 AM
A good friend went with Wet Sounds 2-Pro80 and 1-Pro485 in white
Wow they sound so good, they through the sound out well
I think that are to big, makes the boat look to top heavy
But they sound good….. He is going with 3-600w amps one for the tower
Speakers 1 for the 2 subs then the last one for the inside speakers
3 batters to keep it all running

I do like the Roswell Vamp I think I am going to have a winter project
With them……..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Diesel
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Not for very long! :D

TX.X-30 fan
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
dmayer84 -

The jl's are 7.5 I believe. I should know, I have 6 of them in the boat. I want to replace those clarions up top to.

TX.X-30 fan
11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
A good friend went with Wet Sounds 2-Pro80 and 1-Pro485 in white
Wow they sound so good, they through the sound out well
I think that are to big, makes the boat look to top heavy
But they sound good….. He is going with 3-600w amps one for the tower
Speakers 1 for the 2 subs then the last one for the inside speakers

I do like the Roswell Vamp I think I am going to have a winter project
With them……..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That sounds like a bunch of equipment on a stock 70 amp alt.

prostar205
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
OK - I have been researching tower speaker options, with everyones help here on TT, for the better part of Jan. and Feb. Here is what I have learned.

1) If I go with car audio equipment, most people say the 6x9s are the way to go. They produce a more full, rich sound and will project sound farther than the round speakers.

2) Most peoples choice in 6x9s is the Polk Momo MMC690

3) I have also looked at fiberglass speaker enclosures. If I got that route, it will probably be the Liquid Trends 4 - 6x9s or even 6 - 6x9s, Polk Momo MMC690s

4) If I go with Pro Audio equipment, it will probably be the WetSounds Pro80s (2 pairs) or Pro485s (2). However, that is definately going to require more power than I currently have in my KX850.4.

The interior speakers will probably be either the JL M770-CCS or Polk Momo MMC6500s.

Anyone have any comments or other suggestions.

Kyle's_prostar205
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I used the dual Fusion Speaker/Cans/Tweeter set up on my New Dimension Tower. Love the look and the awesome sound!

JBaker
02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
1) If I go with car audio equipment, most people say the 6x9s are the way to go. They produce a more full, rich sound and will project sound farther than the round speakers.

Anyone have any comments or other suggestions.

If you care much about sound quality, stay away from 6x9s. It is acoustically impossible for a non-round speaker to reproduce sound accurately. 6x9s have more cone area than a traditional 6.5" so they can produce higher volumes and lower frequencies. But if you are willing to put 4 or 6 speakers on your tower you are going to get plenty of volume and lower frequencies aren't going to make it out to the rider anyway.

You will never find an oval speaker in an audiophile setup. Never in high-end home audio, or SQ competition car vehicles.

prostar205
02-26-2007, 12:45 PM
JBaker -

Thanks for all the input. What are your thoughts about putting the Polk Momo MMC6500s in my 2004 OEM MC cans? I have four tower speakers current. They are the Clarion component speakers - 6.5" versions.

I will be pushing the tower speakers with my Kicker KX850.4 amp. I have dedicated 2 channels of this amp for the tower. In 2 Ohm mode at 12.5V, it puts out 180W RMS per channel. That should get about 90W RMS to each speaker - correct??

Again, thanks for the help.

Tom

JBaker
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Very simply...without spending big $$ you couldn't do any better.

The beauty of Polk MOMO products is that they are actually designed to work in cars; they are just built with materials that will (easily) hold up to the marine environment. This means they are designed to work in small enclosures. Since they are designed to work in car enclosures, they sound pretty darn good in a tower canister. The enclosure makes a pretty big difference for traditional marine speakers that are made for infinite baffle applications. For instance, JL made a separate speaker with totally different excursion specifications to be put into tower canisters.

One word of caution, make sure you mount the Polk crossovers in a TOTALLY dry area. They are not marinized at all.

prostar205
02-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Very simply...without spending big $$ you couldn't do any better.

The beauty of Polk MOMO products is that they are actually designed to work in cars; they are just built with materials that will (easily) hold up to the marine environment. This means they are designed to work in small enclosures. Since they are designed to work in car enclosures, they sound pretty darn good in a tower canister. The enclosure makes a pretty big difference for traditional marine speakers that are made for infinite baffle applications. For instance, JL made a separate speaker with totally different excursion specifications to be put into tower canisters.

One word of caution, make sure you mount the Polk crossovers in a TOTALLY dry area. They are not marinized at all.

I plan on putting the X-overs put in each can and pack them with polyfill. The cans don't get water in them. Lastly, the boat sits on a lift that is completely covered overhead and on the sides. I never take it out in the rain. I man get caught in the rain while trailering the boat to our vacation place in Lake Chelan (in eastern washington - 3 hours from Seattle) but that would be very rare.

So, the KX850 will run 4 Polk Momo MMC6500s in the tower off 2 channels and run the 4 JL Audio M770-CCS interior boats speakers from the remaining 2 channels.

Just for my own curiosity, what would you do different in my situation? If I kept the stuff I have, what would you add to make it better?

Tom

JBaker
02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't necessarily do anything different. I don't have any personal experience with your model amp, but it seems very legit. If it were a sub-par amp I might be nervous about driving it for long periods of time in 2 ohm mode, but it probably won't be an issue.

If it were me, I would switch to the Polks and give it a try. If I was unhappy I would fool around with the crossovers, both on the amp and the passive network. If I was still unhappy, I would add another pair of Polks, buy a 6-channel amp to run my tower and dedicate your 4 channel to the cockpit. Then I would be 4 ohm throughout and have a lot of volume coming off that tower. If that didn't work, I would drink more beer.

prostar205
02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
If that didn't work, I would drink more beer.

I am always up for drinking more beer. Thanks for the input. I'm going with the Polks for the tower and JLs for the interior. I'll let you know how it turns out.

prostar205
02-27-2007, 04:01 PM
So, I have decided to go with a simple replacement of the Clarion component speakers on my OEM MC cans. The new speakers will be the Polks. Now the big question: the Momo version (MMC6500) or the dB Series (dB6500)??

What are the differences between the two versions?

I see that the Momo's are made with a carbon fibre cone. The sensitivity of the db's is better (92) compared to the Momo's (90).

Let me know your thoughts.

I will have 4 tower speakers and 4 JL M770-CCS in the boat - all running off my Kicker KX850.4 amp.

JBaker
02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
They have a different sound. I personally think the MOMOs have a little smoother highs. The MOMOs have much higher grade components in the crossover networks. Both of them have plenty of power handling, but the MOMOs is greater. 125W RMS for a 6.5" mid-priced component set is pretty amazing.

Also, I know Polk says the db series is marine certified, but I am not familiar w/ many boat manufacturers that are using them, while the MOMOs are pretty popular.