PDA

View Full Version : fogging the motor question...

blackbeauty02
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
...i'm unable to get to the lake but can i just start my engine up and fog it real quick. it says it should only take 10 seconds for it to shut off when spraying into the carburator. or should i go ahead and put my boat in the water while doing this? thanks

pram
11-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Get yourself a fake a lake or make one. Don't run your motor out of the water to fog it :twocents:

Jerseydave
11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
If you want, you can remove all 8 spark plugs and fog it thru the spark plug holes. Put the plugs back in and just crank the engine a few times (pull the coil wire). That should coat cylinders, pistons and valves and be good until spring, where you can install new plugs if it's time.

My buddy (CC dealer) said that CC does not recommend fogging into EFI intake manifolds......creates a sticky buildup of residue over time. Anyone else heard this?

east tx skier
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I've read it with regard to the MPI GT-40 because it is a dry intake.

Jerseydave
11-14-2006, 08:23 PM
I've read it with regard to the MPI GT-40 because it is a dry intake.

Doesn't the MCX have a dry intake too? (Now I have to go out to the boat and look) :)

east tx skier
11-14-2006, 08:35 PM
All I can remember is that I've heard both ways on the MCX, but didn't bother to worry about it because it doesn't pertain to my boat. You might want to give the owner's manuals on www.mastercraft.com a look as they have a very good winterization write up that differentiates between options like closed cooling. If there's a different procedure for the MCX, I'd expect that it'd be in there.

vogelm1
12-21-2006, 05:21 PM
My 2005 manual doesn't specify RTP-1 vs. MCX vs. LQ-9. Just says to start engine, "carefully remove flame arrestor and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil into the intake". It seems to make sense that it might not be the best thing to fog a 'dry intake' manifold. I have done for the past two seasons now, but would like to know if it's hurting anything...certainly don't want a gummy build up in there after several years. One way to be sure is remove the spark plugs as mentioned above...just easier if it can be done through intake.

JimN or EngineNut have any advice?? :confused:

Bruce
12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
If you crank it out of water the shaft will make a really cool noise! (Don't do it)

JimN
12-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Spraying the oil into the plug holes will do just about nothing to coat the valves, especially the intake valves. If it gets on the exhaust valves, it's incidental unless the motor is started afterward. Too much isn't a good thing either. The dry intake moves air. Gummy or not, it still moves air. It's not a carb with small openings and moving parts.

vogelm1
12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Spraying the oil into the plug holes will do just about nothing to coat the valves, especially the intake valves. If it gets on the exhaust valves, it's incidental unless the motor is started afterward. Too much isn't a good thing either. The dry intake moves air. Gummy or not, it still moves air. It's not a carb with small openings and moving parts.

So your rec would be to fog through the intake whether EFI or TBI? Thanks for the info - will feel better knowing I probably didn't screw anything up then.

JimN
12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
If you look at the throttle plate, there may or may not be a small hole. If there is, spray the oil into the hole while the motor is running. It will immediately atomize and go to the cylinders and this way, it should get on the valve seats. Not much but it should. If there's no hole in the throttle plate (post 2000 model year), the IAC orifice is easy to get to and there should be a small gap at the bottom of the throttle body, where the plate is slightly open. When the air shoots through this small gap, it has to accelerate and this is how the oil breaks up into small droplets.

As long as you saw a lot of smoke, you should be OK. You can check the plugs to see if they have oil on them.

vogelm1
12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds good Jim - yes there was plenty of white smoke when I shut the motor down. I'd say I shot fogging oil into the intake for a good 15 second count. THANKS !