PDA

View Full Version : Mistreated boats (not for those with a weak stomach)

Mikey
11-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Check this out. It almost makes me want to cry. Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2006/07/horrifying_photos_of_wake_boat.html

Sodar
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow, what a collection!!

kjohnson
11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Wow. I hope they all had insurance.

Maristar210
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Those were mostly all Malibu's. Ric has to see the MC with the axle ripped out from under it. This fits hims to a T

RobertT
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Some of those make no sense (actually none of them do, but some seem to defy the laws of physics).

I cannot fathom how a boat can sink to the bottom. I can see it swamped, but my gut tells me that if you take any stock inboard and pull the drain plug, it will sink to the gunnels maybe...but not more.

Too much foam, too much seating that is buoyant, too much of EVERYTHING that weighs less than water. The only thing I can think of is lead. Water ballast weighs nothing when submerged, completely neutral except the air space in the top of the tank which would give a little buoyancy. Same weight in lead...different story.

Anyone know the circumstances? How on earth can a modern foam filled ski boat sink?

loeweb
11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
It's gotta be lead or some type of metal, and a lot of it. How absent minded/ drunk does a person have to be to do these things to a boat.

hacker
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Lights still on?!:uglyhamme

sanjuan23
11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
It's gotta be lead or some type of metal, and a lot of it. How absent minded/ drunk does a person have to be to do these things to a boat.

Have you read HB's Newest Thread as of last night.

Not to imply that HB would let anything like this ever happen....

Davo
11-14-2006, 03:09 PM
It's been a while, but I've had a recurring nightmare where I pearl the nose of the boat and it starts to go under...then I wake up. :eek3:

Sodar
11-14-2006, 03:16 PM
As truly horrible that it looks to see a sinking boat, in fresh water it is suprising how well you can walk away from it. A new battery, new fluids, stereo and ECM and anything else electonic. What really pains me is to see the fiberglass damage...

Jim@BAWS
11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
BU's HAVE NO FOAM...repeat after me BU's have no foam

Some of those make no sense (actually none of them do, but some seem to defy the laws of physics).

I cannot fathom how a boat can sink to the bottom. I can see it swamped, but my gut tells me that if you take any stock inboard and pull the drain plug, it will sink to the gunnels maybe...but not more.

Too much foam, too much seating that is buoyant, too much of EVERYTHING that weighs less than water. The only thing I can think of is lead. Water ballast weighs nothing when submerged, completely neutral except the air space in the top of the tank which would give a little buoyancy. Same weight in lead...different story.

Anyone know the circumstances? How on earth can a modern foam filled ski boat sink?

rodltg2
11-14-2006, 04:45 PM
BU's HAVE NO FOAM...repeat after me BU's have no foam

i maybe wrong jim , but i think the foam helps keep down the vibration more than help the boat float when swamped. it doesnt seem to be helping much in this case. it seems to me ,once the boat is this swamped its beyond help of foam...

Ric
11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Those were mostly all Malibu's. Ric has to see the MC with the axle ripped out from under it. This fits hims to a T yep, been dar, done dat.

my 2000 mc had an axle break loose - luckily at about 40mph rather than the pic which appears he may have been traveling alot faster to get the tire wedged all the way back to the propshaft...............

Ric
11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
i maybe wrong jim , but i think the foam helps keep down the vibration more than help the boat float when swamped. it doesnt seem to be helping much in this case. it seems to me ,once the boat is this swamped its beyond help of foam... foam is for flotation but nope, it's not going to give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you are as swamped as this guy was...

I think the foam flotation was made big in the 80's regarding safety "level floatation" characteristics in a swamped condition(rather than completely sinking)

RobertT
11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I cant believe all boats are not foam filled. But, whatever. I do not own all boats.

The red boat is totally believable, I bet its sitting on the bottom based on the way the waves are breaking, I would guess that a completely swamped boat sits about at the tops of the gunnels.

But some of those were ON THE FLIPPIN BOTTOM OF THE LAKE! Big difference.

Ric
11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
if you are going to run aground, do it the way the guy in the blue boat did.... go all out, I mean throttle it right through the shallows and keep in the throttle all the way onto land, your boat may turn into an amphibian!

rodltg2
11-14-2006, 05:28 PM
I cant believe all boats are not foam filled. But, whatever. I do not own all boats.

The red boat is totally believable, I bet its sitting on the bottom based on the way the waves are breaking, I would guess that a completely swamped boat sits about at the tops of the gunnels.

But some of those were ON THE FLIPPIN BOTTOM OF THE LAKE! Big difference.

i only saw one pic of a boat that sunk all the way. its hard to tell what brand , but maybe it hit something and a big hole in it.

Sodar
11-14-2006, 05:28 PM
I agree with Rod... foam's primary role is to reduce vibration and noise between the hull and liner. Just for an example, a Schiada, with no floor or foam acts as a big drum and when just floating it is MUCH louder than the hull of my MC. Besides, a cubic yard of foam TOTAL throughout the boat is not going to float a 3500# boat!!

RobertT
11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I agree with Rod... foam's primary role is to reduce vibration and noise between the hull and liner. Just for an example, a Schiada, with no floor or foam acts as a big drum and when just floating it is MUCH louder than the hull of my MC. Besides, a cubic yard of foam TOTAL throughout the boat is not going to float a 3500# boat!!

Its not a 3500 pound boat when submerged, even partially. Just like my big butt does not weigh 240lbs when submerged. Heck, I even float.

Just weird, that's all. I have no interest in swamping my boat so its not a big concern, I just didn't get it.

Anyone know how low a boat will go if swamped and left for several hours with the drain plug out?

Sodar
11-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Its not a 3500 pound boat when submerged, even partially. Just like my big butt does not weigh 240lbs when submerged. Heck, I even float.

Just weird, that's all. I have no interest in swamping my boat so its not a big concern, I just didn't get it.

Anyone know how low a boat will go if swamped and left for several hours with the drain plug out?

THE BOTTOM!!

Flatwaterfooter
11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I remember back probably 10 years or better that one of the major manufacteurs advertised that their boat would not sink. It was an add in waterski magazine if I remember correctly. It was because of the foam and overall bouyance

SKI*MC
11-14-2006, 08:40 PM
this thread will kill most of you

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/342210.html?1158018688

dapicatti
11-14-2006, 11:45 PM
this thread will kill most of you

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/342210.html?1158018688
Yes, I agree......simply awful.

88 PS190
11-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Doesn't get me too bad, don't see that many MC's!

Ric
11-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I am looking at those pics jus knowing some people were hurt bad in those deals

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
This one I need to know the story behind.....

Ric
11-15-2006, 12:03 PM
This one I need to know the story behind..... I saw that,
maybe one of the reasons rv rental places don't want you to tow?

pram
11-15-2006, 12:09 PM
This one I need to know the story behind.....

Isn't that a scene from that Robin Williams movie RV??????

bigpack20
11-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Nice Boats! I hope that never happens to me.

Leroy
11-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Mastercrafts will not sink regardless of how many holes you put in the hull, that is what I was told on the tour. The foam is to keep that from happening. It may do other things, but that is the primary purpose. I'm guessing the boats full of water sitting on the top are MC's and the one's sitting on the bottom are other brands.

Remember there is a very heavy engine/tranny trying to sink everything.

SD190EVO
11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/images/54/chainSawWhaler585x389.jpeg

I was at a dealer in Long Island NY during a promo tour and saw them do this to a boat. 2 guys sat in a 13 footer and one guy chain sawed the boat in half. In addition to the obvious, it was impressive how well the chainsaw (Huskvarna) was taking the water as it was drenched the whole time.

Another time, I had a wally tell me at the ramp that he was concerned that his I/O was 'sluggish'. I helped him discover that he failed to put the plug in. His I/O had so much foam in it, it floated and ran and drove *without a plug*.

The bilge was full but it was just under the carpet so he couldnt see it. He was driving around the lake for an hour before he came back and told me his boat was sluggish.

His truck could barely pull the boat out and when he got it up, it looked like his tires would pop and his axle would snap it was so heavy.

puck_11
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Do you have another way to get to that link? The website will not let you direct link it...

Rich_G
11-15-2006, 03:05 PM
other things that don't float

Rich_G
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
picture is supposed to be attached

Rich_G
11-15-2006, 03:13 PM
one more time, it it doesn't load..., Nevermind

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Isn't that a scene from that Robin Williams movie RV??????
I dunno, Never seen that movie......

Honey, do you feel that vibration.....???? We might need the trans serviced......:rolleyes:

SkiDog
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a friend who had an 88 prostar. To this day, he still holds the record for the WORST wreck in Mastercraft history! Hit an oak tree while pulling a barefooter on a boom. He had 4 other people in the boat, and no one was looking forward! Hit the tree at the bow, then it ripped the whole starboard side off to just past the back of the motor box. Now this really says something about a Mastercraft, IT DIDN'T SINK! Only one person was hurt to any extent, he was knocked unconscious. minor bumps and bruises to everybody else. We took the boat back to the factory and they just shook their heads! They took off all the components, got out the old skilsaw and went to town! Then threw it in the dumpster! Also, it happened around 8:30 in the morning, so it was stupidity, not alcohol induced!

erikjernberg
11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Gang,

I run the site that was linked to here and noticed a lot of inbound traffic from this site. Thanks for the support.

When I was putting that post together, I noticed a distinct lack of wrecked Master Crafts. Not that there weren't any... but there were fewer. Look close - there are very few Master Crafts in there, but a good amount of Tige boats. Hmm. Maybe Master Craft owners are smarter and thus ruin their boats less often :)

Just a theory.

Thanks for reading the site.

atlfootr
11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Those were mostly all Malibu's. Ric has to see the MC with the axle ripped out from under it. This fits hims to a TThat was the one I posted on here, awhile back .

TMCNo1
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a friend who had an 88 prostar. To this day, he still holds the record for the WORST wreck in Mastercraft history! Hit an oak tree while pulling a barefooter on a boom. He had 4 other people in the boat, and no one was looking forward! Hit the tree at the bow, then it ripped the whole starboard side off to just past the back of the motor box. Now this really says something about a Mastercraft, IT DIDN'T SINK! Only one person was hurt to any extent, he was knocked unconscious. minor bumps and bruises to everybody else. We took the boat back to the factory and they just shook their heads! They took off all the components, got out the old skilsaw and went to town! Then threw it in the dumpster! Also, it happened around 8:30 in the morning, so it was stupidity, not alcohol induced!

Did it hurt the tree??????????????????????

Mikey
11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
ErikJernberg, its good to see some familiar names over here on team talk. Welcome!:toast:

Archimedes
11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Not to be a contrarian, but I watched a boat sink real fast right in front of me once. Huge rain storm swamped it in a slip, owner was nowhere to be found, overpowered the bilge pump, tipped one corner under the waterline, flipped, broke the ropes and disappeared to the bottom. It was a small, older I/O. We tried to help, but there was nothing we could do. I was shocked to see it actually beeline for the bottom of the marina.

Bobbyk
11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
A so called "friend" ran his 02 nautique into a blinking hazard pole at full throttle around midnight with no lights and no moon... luckily even though one of our friends took a sign to the head no one had any serious injury. $25k, two boatless months and one missed boardstock later the boat is back in action.

Bobbyk
11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
I dont recall the model but there was supposedly an 06 X series that had two many idiots in the bow and the brand new beauty slipped right in the water by the lost isle in the delta once the bow flooded they said it took minutes to be fully submerged. Don't know how realiable but I heard this from several who say they were there.

SkiDog
11-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Did it hurt the tree??????????????????????

Believe it or not, the damn DNR tried to fine him for damage to the bark of the tree!

rodltg2
11-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Gang,

I run the site that was linked to here and noticed a lot of inbound traffic from this site. Thanks for the support.

When I was putting that post together, I noticed a distinct lack of wrecked Master Crafts. Not that there weren't any... but there were fewer. Look close - there are very few Master Crafts in there, but a good amount of Tige boats. Hmm. Maybe Master Craft owners are smarter and thus ruin their boats less often :)

Just a theory.

there is some truth to it, im not saying they are idioits, but newbies probabaly tend to buy less expensive boats. i know i wouldnt want to learn on a brand new mastercraft..

Archimedes
11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
there is some truth to it, im not saying they are idioits, but newbies probabaly tend to buy less expensive boats. i know i wouldnt want to learn on a brand new mastercraft..

While I agree on the 'cost to repair' issue, I disagree on not wanting to learn on a MC. I think a ProStar has got to be one of the least intimidating boats I've ever driven and a great learn to drive boat. It handles great, is light weight, very stable side to side and has a low deadrise making it easy to dock. Compared to the 23 foot deep V SeaRay I learned on, my MCs have been a breeze.

dmayer84
11-17-2006, 03:12 PM
While I agree on the 'cost to repair' issue, I disagree on not wanting to learn on a MC. I think a ProStar has got to be one of the least intimidating boats I've ever driven and a great learn to drive boat. It handles great, is light weight, very stable side to side and has a low deadrise making it easy to dock. Compared to the 23 foot deep V SeaRay I learned on, my MCs have been a breeze.

I learned on my parents 19' Sea Ray and I have to say everyting is easier on the MC except for backing up, but that is something you know is going to happen with an inboard.

One crash that I witnessed was when I was working at my old skiing/ wakeboard camp, the driver that was driving the old nautique 2001 drove right into one of other other boats, a whaler. I was actually quite happy since one of the old boats would be gone, but I have to say the thing did not sink, was swamped but stayed above the surface.

rodltg2
11-17-2006, 04:14 PM
i never said anything about being easier. i just meant first time buyers are less likely to spring for the brand new mc . i learned on a ski brendella although i had some experience on my parents century i/o.

dmayer84
11-17-2006, 04:15 PM
i never said anything about being easier. i just meant first time buyers are less likely to spring for the brand new mc .

Well it is definately easier to pull someone out of the water with the MC and it just handles so much better.

Leroy
11-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Well I guess I would just have to agree with you Erikjernberg! :)

Hi Gang,

Just a theory.

rodltg2
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
ouch..................

Sodar
11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Anyone up for a little restoration!?!? $3,000!

Vessel was docked behind its home. Heavy winds and rains caused the bilge pump to fail and the vessel to sink. Nothing was done to preserve the engine. Current condition of the engine is unknown. Hull seems intact.

http://cooperss.com/assetdetail.php?show=marine&ID=24190

http://cooperss.com/Images/full/24190-1.jpg

Rockman
12-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Not good :noface: crashedtoys.com

Leroy
12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
At my friends marina in Florence AL last summer. Small houseboat sitting on the bottom.

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Anyone notice that the Tige that was frozen in the ice appears to be the same one on the boat trailer (left in water) with the tarp thrown over it?
I just don't understand the mentality of some people. Is it 'disposable income' or stupidity, or both? :confused:

EDIT: Well maybe it's not on a trailer, but a lift? I guess at least it's out of the water and covered.

Mikey
12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Since there was some talk on some other threads I thought I would give this one a bump.

uawaterskier
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
At my friends marina in Florence AL last summer. Small houseboat sitting on the bottom.where is that at? i want to see it next time im at home

mig
12-01-2007, 06:11 PM
They almost made it to our dock.29578

mig
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
"I'm sure it was in park" 29580

Holman J.B.F
12-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Mastercrafts will not sink regardless of how many holes you put in the hull, that is what I was told on the tour. The foam is to keep that from happening. It may do other things, but that is the primary purpose. I'm guessing the boats full of water sitting on the top are MC's and the one's sitting on the bottom are other brands.

Remember there is a very heavy engine/tranny trying to sink everything.

strange...on a lake in austria an x-star sank right to the bottom of the lake.
No led bricks or what so ever,..a change of weather and high waves caused the vessel to sink.

tonyball
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
A DNR officer told a story about a gentleman that flagged him down because his boat would not "plane out", once the officer looked it over, he realized the the trailer was still under the boat, they had just simply unhooked the trailer from the tow vehicle to launch the boat!!! Pretty stupid. I wish I had a photo or video of it. I think it was before cameras were on every cell phone!

Sodar
12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
This is my buddy's family's boat. They were all getting ready to go to bed at the Island in August, when they walked down the stairs and the floor felt hot... they went to check the engine room and see what was going on and found that the battery inverter had overheated and started a small fire. They did not get it quick enough and the fire spread into the fiberglass. They grabbed as much as they could, threw as much as they could into the dinghy and watched it burn as the fireboat tried to put it out. The fireboat put some much water on it and the pumps were all out from the fire, that it sank....

Here is a pic of the 'Grunt' on fire.

And a pic of the boat sitting on the bottom.

Here is a pic of the boat prior to the fire.

trickskier
12-01-2007, 10:58 PM
This is my buddy's family's boat. They were all getting ready to go to bed at the Island in August, when they walked down the stairs and the floor felt hot... they went to check the engine room and see what was going on and found that the battery inverter had overheated and started a small fire. They did not get it quick enough and the fire spread into the fiberglass. They grabbed as much as they could, threw as much as they could into the dinghy and watched it burn as the fireboat tried to put it out. The fireboat put some much water on it and the pumps were all out from the fire, that it sank....

Unbelievable.........................

fintek9
12-02-2007, 02:09 AM
strange...on a lake in austria an x-star sank right to the bottom of the lake.
No led bricks or what so ever,..a change of weather and high waves caused the vessel to sink.I thought all MCs were made floaters! Sink no farther then the gun whales? (zero flotation?)

Lennyp04
12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
That pic of the MasterCraft with the huge waves coming over it is tough to take in...

ProTour X9
12-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Some of thee most mistreated boats:D :D :cool: :noface:

double k 190
12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
What A Disgrace There Should Be A Law Against Mis Treatment Of Boats

JKTX21
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
It's been a while, but I've had a recurring nightmare where I pearl the nose of the boat and it starts to go under...then I wake up. :eek3:

I've had this dream as well.

88 PS190
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Keep in mind wakeboarders often are tempted to add ballast in the form of lead or sandbags, because water ballast takes up so much room.

Water ballast however does not sink the boat to the bottom when flooded.

Add that to less foam theyn there should be... etc. etc.

Floatation is about dispacement, if you put enough foam in the hull to displace sufficient amounts of water with a substance less dense than the water, then you can float...

TMCNo1
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Some of the most mistreated boats,

It's just pitiful how that third one is mistreated and abused like the redheaded bucktoothed stepchild of a unwed mother!:rolleyes: :D 8p

KevenAtWakeUSF
12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
This is my buddy's family's boat. ..

Poor 65' Hatteras!

Sodar
12-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Poor 65' Hatteras!

Nice Job! They just got there new boat a few weeks ago. An '05 70' with less than 120hrs on the mains. The helm is GORGEOUS! I have never seen that many screens. There is not one guage or dial on the whole thing... all touch screen displays!

André
12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Nice Job! They just got there new boat a few weeks ago. An '05 70' with less than 120hrs on the mains. The helm is GORGEOUS! I have never seen that many screens. There is not one guage or dial on the whole thing... all touch screen displays!
Like..VDig???:rolleyes:
How much can that thing worth? 70' Hatteras?

Sodar
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Like..VDig???:rolleyes:
How much can that thing worth? 70' Hatteras?

Yeah, like Vdig, but it actually works! :D

Theirs was listed at $2.95 mil... my guess is that they walked with it for right at $2.5 million.

André
12-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, like Vdig, but it actually works! :D

Theirs was listed at $2.95 mil... my guess is that they walked with it for right at $2.5 million.
They must be in the granite countertops biz...:D

Sodar
12-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Acoustical Ceilings....

TMCNo1
12-03-2007, 11:41 AM

:uglyhamme http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/sidesplit.gif:uglyhamme