PDA

View Full Version : 40 Bucks for the Movie

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
So me and the wife headed out to the movies last night. Tickets to the show were $9.25 a Piece? W_T_F?
18.50 to get in the door and we were having popcorn for dinner (we had a late lunch) so 18.25 later we get Popcorn, 2 drinks and some sourpatch kids.

Went to see Borat. It was absolutely hilarious.

I still can't get over the 40 bucks for movie and popcorn.

Sodar
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I have not been to the movies in over a year due to this simple fact. I would rather wait a few months, buy the movie on DVD, watch it in the comfort of my home and it is still cheaper than going to the movies...

bcampbe7
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I have not been to the movies in over a year due to this simple fact. I would rather wait a few months, buy the movie on DVD, watch it in the comfort of my home and it is still cheaper than going to the movies...

x2

My home theater is better than the movie theater here i ntown as well. Our towns movie theater sucks!

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 11:03 AM
My mom is one of those ladies that carries the monster purses. She sneaks in microwave popcorn and bottled water when she goes to the movies. We rarely go and, like Beau, we have a very good home theater and a netflix subscription that is cheaper than one movie ticket.

trickskier
11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey LP,
My wife and I save a little money by going to the mantinee, and like eastie says we carry in popcorn. The price they want for popcorn & softdrinks is ridiculous. That gives us a few dollars left to go to Outback Steakhouse and have a good meal.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
My mom is one of those ladies that carries the monster purses. She sneaks in microwave popcorn and bottled water when she goes to the movies. .That must be a pain lugging that microwave all the way in to the theater. Does she just try to discretely plug it in the wall socket inside the theater & hope she doesnt get noticed?? or does she go to the rest room to pop the popcorn?:D

milkmania
11-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I take the kids every once in a while.......

Last time, I spent $75.00 before I ever sat down!!!

I take them because they are young and I don't want them to miss out of the atmosphere, before it's gone.

It's more for the relationship with them than the big screen effect.

We've also got a local drive-in they really enjoy in good weather.

Ric
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Lakey, the important thing is that Hollywood thanks you for your $ :rolleyes:

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
That must be a pain lugging that microwave all the way in to the theater. Does she just try to discretely plug it in the wall socket inside the theater & hope she doesnt get noticed?? or does she go to the rest room to pop the popcorn?:D

It's Texas. She sets it on the hood of the car. ;)

atlfootr
11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
So me and the wife headed out to the movies last night. Tickets to the show were $9.25 a Piece? W_T_F?
I still can't get over the 40 bucks for movie and popcorn.One word, two syllables
Netflix :popcorn:

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
The wife and I were tired of sitting at home in front of the TV (i.e Netflix). We wanted to see Borat (have been fans for years via HBO). We had to pay to play. Just can't believe that it costs so much to play. I can get drunk off good liquor for 40 bucks.

Couldn't tell you the last movie we saw in the theatre, but when we do go we usually see 2 matinees and get the "free" refills.

44 oz drink at QuickTrip (local gas station) $1.00
44 0z drink at Movies $5.00

The question to all of you amateur economists is when is the point of diminishing returns going to set in? Surely they can lower the price of popcorn and drinks and move more product and increase profits.

Ric
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
From my armature, we have reached that margin.

Like milkman, the times I go are for the kids to have big time at the theater...

From the looks of the clientele I think the days of dropping kids off a the theater are gone.. ok not my kid anyway :rolleyes: but dont like the looks of the ones who have been dropped off there for the nite

The wife and I were tired of sitting at home in front of the TV (i.e Netflix). We wanted to see Borat (have been fans for years via HBO). We had to pay to play. Just can't believe that it costs so much to play. I can get drunk off good liquor for 40 bucks.

Couldn't tell you the last movie we saw in the theatre, but when we do go we usually see 2 matinees and get the "free" refills.

44 oz drink at QuickTrip (local gas station) $1.00
44 0z drink at Movies $5.00

The question to all of you armature economists is when is the point of diminishing returns going to set in? Surely they can lower the price of popcorn and drinks and move more product and increase profits.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
It's Texas. She sets it on the hood of the car. ;)
ahh, so you spent a few trips in the trunk as a kid, hey?

bcampbe7
11-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Knoxville used to have the dollar theater, I guess it is still there...
When I was in college it was $3 to see a movie. They were the movies that were not in the big theater, but not on DVD yet.

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Our dollar theatre in Statesboro is now a Dialysis clinic. Cause people who need dialysis usually want to come into the heart of student housing to get it. Perhaps it was a side effect of going into the dollar movie.

I guess it was ok at 7.50 for a movie that is 15 bucks for a couple. Just as close to 10 as it is to 20. But when you get to 9.25 that gets real close to 20 bucks in a hurry.

kycat2007
11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I guess the movie theater is the one that is in a volatile situation here. If there aren't any quality movies out to see, then no one comes to there establishment. They have to pay high rent for the land in most cases (usually around malls etc.) and they have to pay the workers and bills. The movies have less of a shelf life at the theaters like they use to. They are out for a couple of months and then to video. In the old days they were out for longer periods which allowed good movies to garner more money to the theater.

What do I know I am just making this stuff up.

Ric
11-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I guess the movie theater is the one that is in a volatile situation here. If there aren't any quality movies out to see, then no one comes to there establishment. They have to pay high rent for the land in most cases (usually around malls etc.) and they have to pay the workers and bills. The movies have less of a shelf life at the theaters like they use to. They are out for a couple of months and then to video. In the old days they were out for longer periods which allowed good movies to garner more money to the theater.

What do I know I am just making this stuff up. you are just an armature like me kycat

Workin' 4 Toys
11-13-2006, 12:55 PM
x2

My home theater is better than the movie theater here i ntown as well. Our towns movie theater sucks!

Or is it that new 102" High def Flat panel you installed in your theatre room......8p

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
you are just an armature like me kycat

Google spell check correctly spelled armature missy.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Knoxville used to have the dollar theater, I guess it is still there...
When I was in college it was $3 to see a movie. They were the movies that were not in the big theater, but not on DVD yet.

We have a "dollar" theater around too....
I haven't been there since a couple people were shot in the theatre a few years ago.

mitch
11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Recently switched from Netflix to Blockbuster. Much much better......

TX.X-30 fan
11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Sim2 ht300e-link projector,92" stewart film screen firehawk screen, anthem d1 processor, 2 earthquake amps ( 600 watts per x8 ), dynaudio 2 front 2 center 2 side 2 rear, 2 12" hgs velodyne subs ( 3000 watts peak each), beer right there in the kitchen, hard to get up for a trip to the local theater.

Ric
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Google spell check correctly spelled armature missy. you need a context check along with the spelling you armature

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 03:31 PM
you need a context check along with the spelling you armature

http://www.animationsupplies.net/images/armatures/standard/standard_pose.gif

Tryin-again
11-13-2006, 03:58 PM

And they serve beer & pizza at the house...... :D

Sodar
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
And they serve beer & pizza at the house...... :D

And it is easier to go straight to bed than to have to drive home... which makes it better after those sappy chick flicks when the girlfriends or wives are ready to go (asleep that is)!! :D

:toast:

Ric
11-13-2006, 05:12 PM
And they serve beer & pizza at the house...... :D oooh there is a cool theater here in town that has waitresses and tables and serves drinks and dinner while you watch the movie
wish that would catch-on because the one I know of is wayy too far from my house in this horrid urban sprawled hellhole we call Houston

mitch
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
oooh there is a cool theater here in town that has waitresses and tables and serves drinks and dinner while you watch the movie
wish that would catch-on because the one I know of is wayy too far from my house in this horrid urban sprawled hellhole we call Houston

We have one here. The chairs are modified reclining lincoln and caddy seats on wheels, very comfy

SKI*MC
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
so my wife is dead? HI FIVE!:D

suedv
11-13-2006, 11:54 PM
We watch movies and other shows on TIVO. The worst part right now... even though we can skip commercials we still catch bits and peices of political advertisements. I think we should delete everything from TIVO and start new.

Ric
11-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Hollywood does thank you, don't they?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Hollywood does thank you, don't they?
They keep giving me more Eva Mendez, & Eva Longoria, apparently so...:D

Ric
11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
They keep giving me more Eva Mendez, & Eva Longoria, apparently so...:D what movies are they in?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
what movies are they in?
Here are a few you may have heard of......
Eva Mendes:
We own the Night (Coming soon)
Ghost rider ( Coming soon)
Trust the man
Hitch
2 Fast 2 Furious
Training Day
Exit Wounds
Urban Legends
Out of Time

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2006, 09:51 AM
A few of Eva Longoria's:
The Sentinel
Harsh Times

(some TV show)

(And more in the works)

Ric
11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Here are a few you may have heard of......
Eva Mendes:
We own the Night (Coming soon)
Ghost rider ( Coming soon)
Trust the man
Hitch
2 Fast 2 Furious
Training Day
Exit Wounds
Urban Legends
Out of Time I think I saw training day