PDA

View Full Version : 07 Mastercraft Cruise System? Anyone.....

skeeler
11-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Looking at getting an 07' Mastercraft for next year. Anyone had any experience with the new Mastercraft Cruise System? I mean real experience, not just read about, talked to a dealer, or heard how it does. Anyone use it on, let's say an X-2, loaded down with a decent rider, and their thoughts? Just curious to see how it stacks up against the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. Thanks, Shawn

sand2snow22
11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Skeeler, I have the first generation cruise system, so I'm not sure how much it has changed. I would get the PP over the cruise. The cruise works and I like it, but you have to go faster than the desired speed before it will kick in and set the speed. So for wakeboarding, it will take you up to 26-28 MPH depending on how hard you hit it before dropping down to your desired cruise speed of 22.6 MPH.

Rarely, it won't catch and before you know it you can be going waterski speeds!! Or more often, if you don't hit it hard enough it won't catch and you'll be doing 17 MPH going ***? Hopefully they fixed this in the generation II....

I have it pretty dialed, but it can be a little tricky for a new boat driver or the novice driver. I'm still thinking about PP. Don't know if I can justify the extra $1,500!!

SKI*MC
11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I was in an 06 x-2 with cruise, and it does not stack up against perfect pass, you would be WAY better off with PP. This X-2 wasn't even weighted more then stock ballast. Just my 2 cents...

skeeler
11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I was in an 06 x-2 with cruise, and it does not stack up against perfect pass, you would be WAY better off with PP. This X-2 wasn't even weighted more then stock ballast. Just my 2 cents...
That's what I thought, thanks guys.
Shawn

Carbon Dreams
11-13-2006, 01:57 PM
My '07 X-45 has the MC Cruise. It seems to work fine from surfing at 10-11 mph all the way up to the top end. There is definately more touch required than the PP systems I have used. Overall it is good, but maybe a bit behind PP.

Fitz2333
11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I ordered a 2006 X-2 with EVERY option available except Perfect Pass - as the dealer said the Mastercraft system was great - unfortunately, it stunk - and I'm not even a good boarder. Luckily Mike at Mastercraft of Charlotte fixed me up with a Perfect Pass system that I installed myself. Made a HUGE difference in driving the boat !

dapicatti
11-15-2006, 12:53 AM
We have had lots of issues with our cruise....if I had it to do over again I would get perfect pass instead.....just my two cents. (06 X-2)

cbaird
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Get the PP. I have the 1st revision of it on an 05 X2 and it overshoots plus takes time to settle down. Not too horrible with no ballast. When ballast is added the overshooting like doubles and you could end up at 30+ mphs before it catches (once catched it stays within 1mph). Next boat will have PP. If you board alot with additional weight it is a requirement.

jeffrpod
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
PerfectPass isn't perfect either. I have an 06 X2 with PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro, and let me tell you - I've had plenty of problems.

First, it took me a very long time (couple months of riding) to dial-in on the settings needed so it would maintain straight line speed – which is very sensitive to different ballast configurations. Then, after 3-4 runs PerfectPass would slow down on its own and not hold speed no matter what I did. Turning the boat off and back on would "Reset" something and PerfectPass would start working again. I found a MasterCraft service action for this - which my dealer is supposed to be performing this week.

Worst of all, PerfectPass CANNOT DRIVE RIGHT-HANDED DOUBLE-UPS! As soon as you enter the turn, the boat will loose about 1 mph in speed. Once you straighten out, the boat accelerates 2-3 mph over the original speed before it settles back down. I was told by other members of this board that this is due to the location of the paddle wheel. I regularly ride on a couple different Malibu 05 VLXs with PerfectPass, and they do not have this problem - why is it an issue on my X2. It was suggested that manually adjust the speed in the turns, but isn't that the whole point of having PerfectPass? I can't drive them very well manually and I've got over 100 hours experience driving my boat so getting someone else to do it will be impossible.

cbaird
11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I've experienced the same thing with PP especially when heavily loaded. There are some settings for this.

I hate to say this but I also ride behind a 05 vlx w/PP and an 06 vride with factory cruise and they don't have the problems... The 06 factory cruise on the malibu is actually pretty good and even beeps when it hits the mark.

vogelm1
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
We are family oriented skiers on the high end recreational side of things. The '05 MC version works fine. It will overshoot if you punch the throttle and leave it there, but if you pull the skier/boarder up and then slowly approach the set point it will lock in without much more than 1-2 mph over. I was at a wake camp this summer and the X-2 there (2006 with 2nd generation) had MC cruise and didn't hear any complaints. Three of the guys that boarded behind it are semi-pro.

Chief
11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Looking at getting an 07' Mastercraft for next year. Anyone had any experience with the new Mastercraft Cruise System? I mean real experience, not just read about, talked to a dealer, or heard how it does. Anyone use it on, let's say an X-2, loaded down with a decent rider, and their thoughts? Just curious to see how it stacks up against the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. Thanks, Shawn

Is there a book for it? I need it if there is. My Cruise acts weird at times and will only work in manual after it works in RPM or Speed. I probably is operator error on my part, but it always works in manual. Maybe I should ask for the operators manual eh?

duckguy
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I have had PP on my 04 x2 and factory on my new 06x2 and I have to say that I like both the PP will "grab" at a few mph less than set and go up, but would typically overshoot. As previously stated that the factory cruise will not engage unitl beyond the set mark is very not true. It engages right on the set speed. Thus allowing the driver to very smoothly bring the boat up to the desired speed and then let it take over. With proper driving and the factory cruise it will never overshoot. Also my experience is that it holds the speed very well. The only option I would like to see is the fact that PP will stay ON even if the boat is turnes off-aka a new boarder etc. Sometimes when I change boarders I forget to return on the factory cruise and need to drive through until they fall when I can return to N to turn it on. So it would be nice to have a setting for that feature.

point1234
11-15-2006, 08:39 PM
I have had PP on my 04 x2 and factory on my new 06x2 and I have to say that I like both the PP will "grab" at a few mph less than set and go up, but would typically overshoot. As previously stated that the factory cruise will not engage unitl beyond the set mark is very not true. It engages right on the set speed. Thus allowing the driver to very smoothly bring the boat up to the desired speed and then let it take over. With proper driving and the factory cruise it will never overshoot. Also my experience is that it holds the speed very well. The only option I would like to see is the fact that PP will stay ON even if the boat is turnes off-aka a new boarder etc. Sometimes when I change boarders I forget to return on the factory cruise and need to drive through until they fall when I can return to N to turn it on. So it would be nice to have a setting for that feature.

The biggest thing that I learned about the MC cruise. Is that I take the boat to a little over 3000 RPM and then it locks in real quick. And i have to agree with the cruise shutting off when the ignition is shut off is a pain because I always forget to turn it back on. but for the most part Iam happy with the MC cruise on my 06x1.

sand2snow22
11-15-2006, 09:31 PM
It engages right on the set speed. Thus allowing the driver to very smoothly bring the boat up to the desired speed and then let it take over. With proper driving and the factory cruise it will never overshoot.

I would generally agree with this, except mine holds speed better if taken a little above the desired speed? Don't know why? Maybe a difference between generation I and generation II.....

duckguy
11-16-2006, 01:26 AM
I wonder if the shutting off thing could be switched with a reflash or something

dapicatti
11-16-2006, 01:43 AM
The biggest thing that I learned about the MC cruise. Is that I take the boat to a little over 3000 RPM and then it locks in real quick. And i have to agree with the cruise shutting off when the ignition is shut off is a pain because I always forget to turn it back on. but for the most part Iam happy with the MC cruise on my 06x1.
There is nothing like forgetting to reset the cruise....my wife does it all the time. Wakeboarding is much different at 30mph...:(

Doug G
11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
I have the MC cruise on the 06 X-30. After 100 hours this year I found that it takes a lot of throttle finesse not to overshoot. If I use enough throttle for a medium pull when it gets around 20 it wants to jump up and will overshoot unless I work the throttle back. It will loose 1-5 mph in a turn depending on how hard I turn but wants to overshoot again when coming straight after the turn.

I found you can turn the cruise on while pulling the rider up if I forget to turn on and it still works. This is all in speed mode wakeboarding set between 20 and 22mph. I have never driven with PP and I suspect some of this is due to the heavier boat. Overall I am happy with it for our riding level. If we were more skilled it might matter more.

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-16-2006, 10:48 PM
You should go with the Perfect Pass. I just got a 2007 X2 SS and the perfect pass blows away the mastercraft spped control. If your speending the money on that kind of boat get perfect pass, it's worth it.

Bobbyk
11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I recently sold my 04 X2 which had perfect pass and now have 150 hrs on my 06 X2 with cruise and getting use to the difference was the hard part. Once I had played with the wake I found smooth acceleration allows it to grab and hold fine. drivers who are not used to your boat or are used to pp may not like it but I wouldnt spend the 1500 for the pp and I regularly pull aggresive riders throughin whirly birds and big double ups.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Coming from a 06 X2 with cruise, the only thing that I have had problems with is resetting the cruise after shutting the moter off. Other than that the cruise on my SHIP works well and I came off a X-30 with PP. Its all a matter of getting the rider to plane and rest is history.....

djhuff
11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Didn't realize the option was still $1500. I like it fine, especially the new big display. The only thing I don't like is that there is no driver override function (which according to the manual is available on some boats, just not mine)

As far as double ups, you need to mess with the CS and CR settings, that will fix the speed problems in turns, also taking the turn a little bigger and smoothly starting the turn will help. I kind of use the wheel as a throttle adjustment when the speed changes and the PP hasn't adjusted yet (turn a little harder to slow down, straighten out a little to speed up.

I don't know much about the settings, but I had a pro on my boat that has an X2 and he set up my PP like his. The only problem is it is dialed in for ALOT of weight.