PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina season How Early??

rstitson
11-11-2006, 07:08 PM
:) Live in maine and would like to extend or get a jump on the wakeboarding season. Am thinking of taking a vacation touring the South Carolina lakes.. How early/late could We go (family me, wife and teenage son) and still get good water temps / sunshine. Also what is the difference between the foot hills and costal plain for weather??? Thanks in advance for any replies. Favorite lakes would be nice also

BriEOD
11-11-2006, 09:29 PM
I just moved from Charleston. The water gets into the 70's in early may and climbs into the 80's by mid summer. Come the end of October it's cooling back off. You being from Maine, I'm not sure what your definition of skiable water temeperature is.

rstitson
11-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks, for us anything in the 70's is good. Sounds like anything from mid may through mid october would be great. We ski in september on good days... But they can't be counted on from mid september on. Wet suits are used in may / early june for the hardy.

tghenderson
11-12-2006, 04:17 PM
:) Live in maine and would like to extend or get a jump on the wakeboarding season. Am thinking of taking a vacation touring the South Carolina lakes.. How early/late could We go (family me, wife and teenage son) and still get good water temps / sunshine. Also what is the difference between the foot hills and costal plain for weather??? Thanks in advance for any replies. Favorite lakes would be nice also
From mid-May through October you'll have 70's+ weather. Two days ago it as 82 deg. I recommend Lake Jocassee (in the mountains so water is cold until June but you're from Maine so I assume cold water is not a problem), adjacent Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell are great also. Less preferred in the middle of the State are the lakes Murray, Marion, and Moultrie.

BriEOD
11-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Marion, and Moultrie.
Those lakes are on the Southeast coast near Charleston. I would not recommend either one. They are both so big and wide open the water is rarely calm. The Tail Race Canal off of Lake Moultrie is not bad in Moncks Corner.

kjohnson
11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I skied Friday on Lake Murray, near Columbia in a long wetsuit. Water temp is 63 and falling. I will probably end my season soon. A lot of the lakes in SC are huge and are not good for skiing, unless you know where the coves are.

H20skeefreek
11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
There are some great places to wakeboard on Lake Wateree, up on the North end of the lake. Wateree is between Columbia and Charlotte.

rstitson
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks again, large lakes are fun to explore but harder to find the calm spots. We have lake sebago up here 28,xxx acres with a large round shape and a few bays / islands. Great for a day on the lake. But we have just as much if not more fun on pleasant lake witch is at most about 1.5 miles wide by 3.5 miles. Do the southern coastal lakes have less clarity and shallower in depth? Am starting to understand that a lot of southern lakes are quite shallow in comparison to the lakes in the north.... A shallow lake up here averages 40 - 60 feet. We don't have may damed up river resevoirs except in the north woods where the paper companies created some large lakes.

VTJC
11-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I skied at Trophy Lakes last Thanksgiving week and had a great time. The day before Thanksgiving it was unseasonably cool, it was 32 when I got up. Fortunately they loaned me a drysuit, Seth skied after I did. Of course I skied last Thursday in VT so its all relative.

rstitson
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
have you done lake magog .... at newport??? We may be spending a week a champlain this year but I have wanted to see magog for some time now.

Jesus_Freak
11-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I skied a set in March once on Lake Murray. Not a good plan...but then again, I am not as tough as some of you guys.

kjohnson
11-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Lake Murray is 200' deep at the dam. Most of the main body is at least 60-100' deep. I don't know about the coastal lakes. Trophy Lakes, near Charleston is an excellent lake. That is where Jeff Rodgers set a world slalom record. It is protected with trees from wind.

atlfootr
11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Have many a barefoot'n friends whom foot on the PeeDee River. :steering:
If, and when you make the treck to S.C. they live in Murrells Inlet - GIVE 'EM A CALL!