PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Hole early season

ski36short
11-11-2006, 01:03 PM
A friend is planning an early ski trip to Jackson Hole the second weekend in December. I know it's still a month away but given the forecast right now, I'm a little concerned about the snow! Doesn't seem to be much on the mountain or in the forecast. Is this a legit concern or am I being silly?

Seems to me that altitude and latitude should be well on it's way to being buried by then. I just gotta sign up soon while frequent flyer seats are available. Right now all the planes are pretty empty.

Eagle
11-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I've been going to JH for the past 10 years (used to own a house there). In my experience, JH doesn't get that much snow early season. JH's base is a little low compared to other ski resorts in the Rockies (esp Colorado). Even Christmas has been a little thin, though a couple of years ago they got a huge dump the week before Christmas. So you never know and it takes just one good storm.

Grand Targhee gets more snow than JH so your friend might check out Targhee if JH is thin.

When it's good at JH, it's the best. Awesome terrain.

No tram this year at JH. They did build a chair, East Ridge Chair, to the top of Rendevous. New tram for '08/'09 season.

It's dumping in Whistler right now.

My favorite resorts are JH, Snowbird and Whistler.

Carbon Dreams
11-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I know it is not comparable as far as resorts go, but Mt. Bachelor always has snow. With 12 inches now and another 20 coming by Tuesday, I'd say we'z in bidness. As soon as I get back from Hawaii, the sleds are out and the skis get waxed. Yee Haa.. Check out http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/dor
Can you say EL NINO?

Seroiusly, I have never had good luck with early skiing in Jackson Hole and most of Utah and Idaho. Even in Jan-Feb, we would have bare spots at JH. Awesome place when there is snow! Try Brighton, Utah for early season. Right now, they do not have any snow, but it is coming.

ski36short
11-12-2006, 09:32 AM
That's what I was afraid of. I'm powerless to change plans other than to say I'm out. That's kinda how I'm leaning.

Thanks for the replies.