PDA

View Full Version : Point of use water heaters

Knoxes
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Anybody using this system in their home? Comments? I'm thinking about putting in a whole house water softener where the water heater is and using point of use (1 bath and the laundry and kitchen can run on the same line easily).

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Is that like the Euro instant water heaters that run about $1,000? If so, we ended up going traditional because it couldn't heat enough different things for the extra money.

Knoxes
12-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Well, I haven't done that much research yet, but the ones I found are about $200, give or take 50...

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
We must not be thinking of the same thing. The things I'm thinking of are about the size of a a/c window unit and the size the will handle two showers runs about $1K.

ski_king
12-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Is that like the Euro instant water heaters that run about $1,000? If so, we ended up going traditional because it couldn't heat enough different things for the extra money.

I considered going that way, but determined in the end a standard gas water heater would be better for me. When I finish my garage, that will is what I plan on using.
Prices range from 150 to 200.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1613547281&ccitem=[/HTML] ]Here is a typical one ([HTML)

Knoxes
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Power, can you fix the link? Curious.

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah, that's what we ended up doing, too.

phecksel
01-10-2005, 12:02 PM
You get what you pay for. Inexpensive units can run one fixture at a time. That means no shower at the same time as laundry, dishwasher, etc. I made a tough choice to save the money and go with a traditional water heater and then two years later moved the wife and her two daughters in.

Brn85ss
01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I've installed many of these units. Here is some things to consider!

You must be careful about the GPM'S (gallons per min.) that you require.Also many have a flow switches that need a min. amount of flow to activate the unit.Stay away from the Bosch.I prefer the elec. units for point of use(one sink).Be careful as some of these units can be noisey.Talk to a local plumbing supply house and see which unit their plumbers prefer.People seem to be very happy with some of the newer whole house units.But you will have to spend minimum 1000.00 to get a good heater.Hope this helps.

PS. I like the new models so much that I'm putting one in my place!

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
You get what you pay for. Inexpensive units can run one fixture at a time. That means no shower at the same time as laundry, dishwasher, etc. I made a tough choice to save the money and go with a traditional water heater and then two years later moved the wife and her two daughters in.
3 women & 1 man.... you poor poor sole! I will pray for you!:eek:

captkidd
01-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I know nothing about these, but Paul Harvey advertises Rinnai tankless water heaters (www.foreverhotwater.com). It sure makes a lot of sense that you're wasting money by continually keeping 40 gal. of water hot. If I had it to do over, I would probably use one of these.

east tx skier
01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
When our 70 gallon HW heater went south on us two years ago, we looked at the tankless (euro) heaters. To handle two showers at once, we'd have had to go with the $1,000 model. The savings weren't realized for many years.

Leroy
01-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Captkidd; The spec's on that one look really good, one unit handles 3 showers and looks like the payback is around 3 years. I had this when I lived in Belgium, but never really looked at it. Lot of information on the web about them.

lakes Rick
01-11-2005, 07:03 PM
When I was finishing up my house in 97, I was running out of money.. I bought a 52 gallon Electric standard water heater and after rebates it was like $55... I was hoping it would just get my final done so I could move in and buy a bigger and better one later.. It still works great!!!!!!!!!!!