PDA

View Full Version : Maherajah Skis

ski_king
11-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I should be the one answering this question instead of asking it as I have been collecting and refinishing Maha skis for a while now.

But does anybody know what the number desigination mean that is on the slalom skis? It always seems to end in a .5 and dosnt seem to tie into the length. I have seen 3.5, 5.5 and 6.5.

Maybe something to do with the taper or concave?

corey
11-13-2006, 10:48 AM
If I had to guess, which I do, I would guess its a flex rating. A lot of skis used to have flex ratings printed on each modle, with wood the differences would be pretty dramatic from ski to ski.

Sodar
11-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I am just spit balling here, but I am wondering if it is a thickness. My old Maha race ski was really thick, opposed to my Maha 360. Never noticed the sticker however!

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I'd guess flex as well. Those longboards are thick pieces of firewood for sure though. The side cut on mine is nuts.

Jorski
11-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Why not email Bob Maher ?

Try: bob@maherajah.com

ski_king
11-13-2006, 02:12 PM
I did, I have been awaiting his reeturn email.

Flex may be it, I didn't compare the thickness.

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
You may want to give Bob a call. In my experience, he's the one answering the phone.

ski_500
11-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey,
Do you guys have long-boards or slaloms? Do you still ride them?
Many years ago, a buddy tried to sell me his MAHER slalom. He was moving up to a composite ski. Like a dope I passed on the deal.:confused:
I don't remember how well it skied, but it was a beautiful stick!

Sodar
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
You may want to give Bob a call. In my experience, he's the one answering the phone.

Yeah, just call him. It is a VERY small outfit and he is a great guy. I have talked with him before at the boat show...

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey,
Many years ago, a buddy tried to sell me his MAHER slalom. He was moving up to a composite ski. Like a dope I passed on the deal.:confused:

Longboard. It's awesome.

Sodar
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Longboard. It's awesome.

I can not beleive you have a rear toe-plate on that!! I have never seen one with that before!

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I can't even ski a toe plate on a normal slalom ski anymore, but that's how I got it. I just cruise around on it, so I'm not bothered by it. I guess another thing I like about it is not having to hop of the platform with that piece of timber on my feet. With the toe plate, I can put it on, then step off the platform.

By the way, that's the recreational version of the racing ski (86" vs. 87"). So I'm only riding it in the low 40 mph range. It doesn't appear that they make the 86er anymore. But the website (http://www.maherajah.com/skis_racing.html) does list the toe plate as an option (although it isn't pictured).

Looks like they've gotten a bit more expensive in the past couple of years, too.

ski_king
11-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey,
I have woodie slaloms. I have had a few of the cheap fiberglass 2001's ones also, but stripped them of there bindings and hardware and unloaded them on ebay.
Back in the day these were big, I always wanted one. Then they came out with the Yellow LaPoint (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-MAHERAJAH-LAPOINT-Graphite-Slalom-64-Ski-Waterski_W0QQitemZ180049377290QQihZ008QQcategoryZ7 1174QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?) but by the time I got my money saved the LaPoints were with MasterCraft Skis, so that is what I bought.
I did recommend Maha 360's to a couple of friends and they loved them. The orginal wide body ski that is easy for a big guy to get up on.
I have a friend who has a old woodie 360 tucked away, but made the mistake of telling her what it was worth now.

As far as the slalom goes, it skis much better than you think it will. If I remember once Kris LaPoint almost tied his world record on one.

When I get a chance, I will give Bob a call.

Sodar
11-13-2006, 05:31 PM
We all use our 360's for training when it gets to rough to ski on our HO Vertical Airs. The 360's are a fun ski though, we call mine the wooden hummer because the fin hums really bad at anything above 50mph.

ski_king
02-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Has anybody checked out the Maherajah web site recently?

What the heck is that thing?

Slinkyredfoot
02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
There is still a Maha at our lake house, it's my brother in laws you is like 6'7, it is a like a 72 inch long ski!!
As I think I remember he bought it from Barts when his store used to be an old house right on the corner in Webster.

As I remember, and this could be inaccurate, but I think that Maha had some funky way of letting you know how long the ski was.

Like 3.5 translated into 66-67 inches long, nobody really could ever explain it to us at the time....but for some reason this is idea popped up in my brain, I heard it along time ago I think I may be correct.
If I am right let me know, if not forgive me please..

Slinkyredfoot
02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I should be the one answering this question instead of asking it as I have been collecting and refinishing Maha skis for a while now.

But does anybody know what the number desigination mean that is on the slalom skis? It always seems to end in a .5 and dosnt seem to tie into the length. I have seen 3.5, 5.5 and 6.5.

Maybe something to do with the taper or concave?

Hey Ski King...ever check into my previous post?? what do you think?