PDA

View Full Version : Stern light

FrankSchwab
11-10-2006, 12:44 AM
My brother-in-law has a very nice SleekCraft (with dual blown 454 mercs. Not the best for skiing, of course...). The coolest thing on it, IMHO, is the automatic sternlight. Hit the switch, and it rises up like an electric car radio antenna, with a white light on top. Hit it again, and it sinks down flush with the deck.

I want one. I can't find one. Anyone got any suggestions?

/frank

bigmac
11-10-2006, 01:00 AM
My brother-in-law has a very nice SleekCraft (with dual blown 454 mercs. Not the best for skiing, of course...). The coolest thing on it, IMHO, is the automatic sternlight. Hit the switch, and it rises up like an electric car radio antenna, with a white light on top. Hit it again, and it sinks down flush with the deck.

I want one. I can't find one. Anyone got any suggestions?

/frank

http://www.wakesiderides.com/viewArticle.php?id=267

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=509&CategoryID=56

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/per_400.jpg

http://www.wakesiderides.com/img/topics/anchorlight7.jpg

H20skeefreek
11-10-2006, 07:19 AM
bigmac, is that your boat? If so, I'd thought I'd let you know that if that's as high as it goes, it's not legal. Stern/anchor lights need to be visible 360* for half a mile, which means that it has to be taller than EVERYTHING in the boat, including people and towers etc...

bigmac
11-10-2006, 07:32 AM
It would be unusual to see any water patrol on our lake after dark, especially one with a tape measure. Any anchor light would likely be sufficient around here. YMMV. In fact, I've considered a flush-mounted anchor light for the stern as an auxilliary light to use when skiing after sundown since any pole-mounted light prevents attaching a ski rope to the pylon.

No, it's not my boat, but the device is plenty high - probably too high.

H20skeefreek
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
It's not a matter of tape measure, it's a matter of whether or not they see the light blocked, so it's pretty easy to get busted. No big deal, I just had to deal with this issue with a customer. I sold him a stern light, and even told him about this. He bought a short one anyway, and now wants me to pay the ticket becuase I didn't "sound serious". At first he claimed I didn't say anything about it.

bigmac
11-10-2006, 07:43 AM
It's not a matter of tape measure, it's a matter of whether or not they see the light blocked, so it's pretty easy to get busted. No big deal, I just had to deal with this issue with a customer. I sold him a stern light, and even told him about this. He bought a short one anyway, and now wants me to pay the ticket becuase I didn't "sound serious". At first he claimed I didn't say anything about it.

As I said, YMMV. It wouldn't be a problem around here.

H20skeefreek
11-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Sorry, should have asked before, I don't know what YMMV stands for.

TMCNo1
11-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Sorry, should have asked before, I don't know what YMMV stands for.

YMMV = Young Mag Mania Veteran?

bigmac
11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Sorry, should have asked before, I don't know what YMMV stands for.Sorry - it refers to "your mileage may vary..."

ctkiteboarding
11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
have one that will not fit my boat by like 2 inchs unless i redrill and i wont do that u can have it if you want R pm me

FrankSchwab
11-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Looked at SkiDim, Barts, Overtons and West Marine, and spent a few minutes with Google. Now I have to go measure to see if I've got 22" under the deck...

/frank

phecksel
11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
The townships police boat, which seldom patrols at night, doesn't even pass the requirement, LOL.