PDA

View Full Version : Can These Bones Live?

stevo137
11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
````````````````````

Mag_Red
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Steve :wavey: Mi Amigo! We all like to think we're indestructable, but trust me, we're not. Good advice about the complete physical, I'm just wondering why my doctor never suggested one beings I'm almost 51.:confused: Probably cause I act like I'm 20 something:D

Leroy
11-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Stevo; You are not alone.

I had a complete physical with little better, but similar bad Chol, Tri and LDL. I have dropped 20 pounds and my blood pressure went from normal high to better. In 6 months I get my blood checked again. I've been impressed with my doctors interest and desire to fix with weight, exercise, diet and knowing I'll see him in 6 months!

I have a friend with similar numbers to us and he lost ~30 pounds (180-150) and everything went to normal.

It shows why annual physical was one of the key items in many live to an old age test. Head off problems before you drop.

bcampbe7
11-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm glad you discovered this before it was too late Steve!

I get checked every year through our wellness program at work. It's quick and painless and could save your life.

My uncle, who is 45, had a heart attack last week. He survived, but only because his wife is a nurse and recognized that his "heartburn" was not really heartburn and took him to the hospital. He had 1 stent put in last week and another today. Scary stuff, but very treatable if found early.

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but a colonoscopy for anyone over 40 is also a good idea. No they are not fun, but they sure do beat the alternative. :)

bigmac
11-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Age 50 for the colonoscopy, unless there's a strong family history, but otherwise, yep, 51 and over = time for a complete physical, including the colonoscopy. I just last year had my first complete physical ever. Prior to that, I'd kind of been doing my own "concierge" service, checking my cholesterol here, PSA there, check my blood pressure every now and again, and had my partner do the colonoscopy every couple of years. I'm in pretty good shape cholesterol/BP/lipids, but my wife and I went to a cardiology seminar a couple of weeks ago -- next thing I know I'm on a daily aspirin and taking fish oil three times a day (take it from me - you want to keep those capsules in the freezer), and it looks like the cigars are on the block...she's even got me considering low-dose lipitor like all the cardiologists take.

getting old isn't for sissies...

beef
11-10-2006, 08:02 AM
I also recommend going to a dermatologist for the once-over, unless you're skiing at night. Went with the wife this year as part of our annual exams. She has a carcinoma on her nose and I'm having a "suspicious" spot on my leg removed. Not a big deal unless you wait too long.

Jerseydave
11-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Had a random blood pressure test about 9 years ago.........mine was sky high (240 over 130!) The nurse thought I was on coke!

After alot of testing, turned out my one kidney was non-functioning and producing an ensyme that raised my BP. Been on meds every since and get checked every 6 months.

Chief
11-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Hey Stevo while the health situation looks bad, it's not to late (since you were able type). Do what the doctor tells ya and get back in the saddle! Change of lifestyle or hereditary?

Everyone was bummed out when you said you were checking out of the MC Team Talk so stick around and keep us updated on the health. We don't won't you to check out on LIFE!

Good luck buddy :)

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Good luck brother Steve. IMO, health is not a quick fix...it is a lifestlye change. Excercise (weights & cardivascular [I run]) plus a diet. My wife an I really like Bill Phillips 'Eating for Life' cookbook. He has some good stuff in there--other than chicken breasts and greeen beans.

ski_king
11-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Reading this thread reminded me to take my lipitor and accupril.

Hang in there Steve, a few meds and a slight change in lifestyle and you will be good as new.

Follow Bigmacs advise on the colonoscopy. Had one this year, no big deal. The prep is the worst part of it.

bigmac
11-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, but in the US, obesity (it's comorbidities - especially high blood pressure, diabetes, hyperlipidemia/hypertriglyceridemia) is killing more people than smoking:

Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)

bigmac
11-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Follow Bigmacs advise on the colonoscopy. Had one this year, no big deal. The prep is the worst part of it.

I've had two colonoscopies and done a little over 10,000. I agree - no big deal.

Mag_Red
11-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, but in the US, obesity (it's comorbidities - especially high blood pressure, diabetes, hyperlipidemia/hypertriglyceridemia) is killing more people than smoking:

Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)Well that's one thing I have undercontrol.........mine hovers between 14 and 20.

stevo137
11-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, thanks the good wishes. Mac as always, thanks much for your great input.
The crazy thing is that I have always been athletic, worked out, weights, running and such and was in decent shape until my last vacation in April. Since then, I have really been on a binge and think that's when most of this started but have no way to know. Some people's body can take more punishment than others. I guess mine is not one of them.

Either way, please don't procrastinate as I have and go get that complete physical!

LakePirate
11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Now that it has hit close to home how does that Concierge Medicine sound now?

Stevo Get better man. You can do it.

While the BMI is a lovely guide, we must remember that muscle weighs more than fat so it is not always the most accurate. For complete accuracy one must get dunked in a pool and measure the displacement for the most accurate measurement of body fat. You can also do a skin fold test, not as accurate but more personalized than the chart.

Ric
11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Age 50 for the colonoscopy, unless there's a strong family history, but otherwise, yep, 51 and over = time for a complete physical, including the colonoscopy. I just last year had my first complete physical ever. Prior to that, I'd kind of been doing my own "concierge" service, checking my cholesterol here, PSA there, check my blood pressure every now and again, and had my partner do the colonoscopy every couple of years. I'm in pretty good shape cholesterol/BP/lipids, but my wife and I went to a cardiology seminar a couple of weeks ago -- next thing I know I'm on a daily aspirin and taking fish oil three times a day (take it from me - you want to keep those capsules in the freezer), and it looks like the cigars are on the block...she's even got me considering low-dose lipitor like all the cardiologists take.

a buddy of mine (who in my opinion is a hypochondriac) mentioned fish oil... what is it? what does it do for us?

Guy has a bucket of high priced vitamins but I still like to hear all the concerns and fit them to me without going to see his witch doctor !

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Take care Steve, Good to see you check in here!:) Hang in there and keep you nose to the grind and you will be fine!

Well, most of you know my story, living a healthy lifestyle is VERY IMPORTANT! I have done it the wrong way, and I know that eating right, and getting excersize is so important to having a happy & healthy life. You dont need to look like Arnold Schwartengovenrnor to be healthy. Just regular cardio excericse, and healthy eating can be so beneficial.

Hey Bigmac, what did you mean about keeping those capsules in the freezer? I take fish oil too, but I dont keep them in the freezer....am I supposed to? From what I have read, Fish oil is supposed to be good for cardiovascular health, and I have also read that is supposed to be good for helping prevent prostate cancer too. While there is really not a ton of conclusive proof of this, I figure is certainly worth the cost and effort to help leading a healthy life. Prostate cancer is something I dont want to get into as I have had several family members deal with it. I will do what I can to prevent it, and if fish oil is even a small chance of helping, I will do it.

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 09:52 AM
It is diet. A lot of people workout and run but then eat McD's for lunch every day. Super Size your way to a heart attack.

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Just a suggestion, but check out this book next time you are in a book store. I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight following this. It is not a "diet," per se. It is a lifestyle.

http://www.eatingforlife.net/index.asp

LakePirate
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
a buddy of mine (who in my opinion is a hypochondriac) mentioned fish oil... what is it? what does it do for us?

Guy has a bucket of high priced vitamins but I still like to hear all the concerns and fit them to me without going to see his witch doctor !

You buddy probably just has really expensive urine. From everything I have read and studied a simple multi-vitamin will suffice. The body can only process so much of any given thing and the excess will be discharged as waste.

11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
It is not a "diet," per se. It is a lifestyle.Very important words Brieod! VERY important! I never went on a "diet", I adopted a new lifestyle.(Shut up Hoosier, I know what your thinking!:rolleyes: ) but yes, you need to start an entirely new style of life. you cant just diet for 6 months and then go back to what your doing hoping it to be different. People ask me often what "the key" is to losing weight and staying healthy, and I tell every one of them this: Find a healthy lifestyle plan that works for YOU, and stick with it. Dont go on the latest fad diet. I dont care what Dr. Phil or Oprah, or Jessica Simpson, or Brad Pitt, or anyone do to be in shape. you need to research these plans and pick one that works for YOU. what are your food likes? dislikes? cravings? what types of physical activity do you enjoy? what type dont you enjoy? ask yourself these questions and find a eating plan and excercise plan that best fit your life and preferences. This will make it MUCH easier to make the transition and stay with it.

TMCNo1
11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey Steve :wavey: Mi Amigo! We all like to think we're indestructable, but trust me, we're not. Good advice about the complete physical, I'm just wondering why my doctor never suggested one beings I'm almost 51.:confused: Probably cause I act like I'm 20 something:D

Also get a colonoscopy at 50, my doctor never ordered one, then at 53 I found out I had colorectal cancer, surgery, chemo, radiation etc., etc. which has led to other side effects. If I had gone @ 50 they would have found the polyp or a small cancer that could have been dealt with earlier with less invasive surgery and after effects.

11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
You buddy probably just has really expensive urine. From everything I have read and studied a simple multi-vitamin will suffice. The body can only process so much of any given thing and the excess will be discharged as waste.
TRU DAT!:)

bigmac
11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Now that it has hit close to home how does that Concierge Medicine sound now?

Not sure if this is a question for me or not. If so, my reference to "concierge medicine" is me acting as my own concierge. As I get older and the stakes get higher, I found myself questioning the objectivity of my doctor (me) and thought I'd better get a second opinion.

While the BMI is a lovely guide, we must remember that muscle weighs more than fat so it is not always the most accurate. For complete accuracy one must get dunked in a pool and measure the displacement for the most accurate measurement of body fat. You can also do a skin fold test, not as accurate but more personalized than the chart.

Yes, if you're a bodybuilder, then your BMI is a less accurate reflection of obesity. If you're not, then the "muscle weighs more than fat" argument is likely just rationalization.

I'll make the offer that anyone here can send me a photo of themselves in a T-shirt and I'll be happy to render an opinion as to whether their BMI of 35 or higher represents fat or muscle ;) .

bigmac
11-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Take care Steve, Good to see you check in here!:) Hang in there and keep you nose to the grind and you will be fine!

Well, most of you know my story, living a healthy lifestyle is VERY IMPORTANT! I have done it the wrong way, and I know that eating right, and getting excersize is so important to having a happy & healthy life. You dont need to look like Arnold Schwartengovenrnor to be healthy. Just regular cardio excericse, and healthy eating can be so beneficial.

Hey Bigmac, what did you mean about keeping those capsules in the freezer? I take fish oil too, but I dont keep them in the freezer....am I supposed to? From what I have read, Fish oil is supposed to be good for cardiovascular health, and I have also read that is supposed to be good for helping prevent prostate cancer too. While there is really not a ton of conclusive proof of this, I figure is certainly worth the cost and effort to help leading a healthy life. Prostate cancer is something I dont want to get into as I have had several family members deal with it. I will do what I can to prevent it, and if fish oil is even a small chance of helping, I will do it.For many people, taking fish oil capsules results in subsequent burping up an unpleasant fishy taste. That can be eliminated by keeping those things in the freezer and taking the capsules frozen. It's just for taste, has nothing to do with its effectiveness.

Fish oil reportedly softens dangerous atherosclerotic plaque and makes it far less likely to cause problems, like death or stroke.

stevo137
11-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I used to take the omega oils and I found that this one by Carlson did not give me the aftertaste or burps.
Matter of fact, I'm heading to the health foof store today!
Anyway, give this product a try.
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10012879

11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I'll make the offer that anyone here can send me a photo of themselves in a T-shirt and I'll be happy to render an opinion as to whether their BMI of 35 or higher represents fat or muscle ;) .Did you used to work at a Carnival???8p

bigmac
11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I used to take the omega oils and I found that this one by Carlson did not give me the aftertaste or burps.
Matter of fact, I'm heading to the health foof store today!
Anyway, give this product a try.
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10012879Flax seed oil is a viable alternative source of omega 3 fatty acid too.

bigmac
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Did you used to work at a Carnival???8pEverybody needs a hobby...

11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I rarely have the fish burps. I take the fish oil with my breakfast, so its got food to digest and I dont really notice much of a problem. I must be lucky.

bcampbe7
11-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Sorry, I thought it was 40...

I had my 1st at 25 and will have them every 5 years.
Family history is one grandfather that died of colon cancer, one uncle that had it, and my Dad has had polyps removed in both of his colonoscopies.

I will also agree that the prep is the worst part. The procedure is nothing compared to the prep!:eek3:

Cancer and heart disease runs rampant in my family. I may check on that fish oil...

LakePirate
11-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Not sure if this is a question for me or not. If so, my reference to "concierge medicine" is me acting as my own concierge. As I get older and the stakes get higher, I found myself questioning the objectivity of my doctor (me) and thought I'd better get a second opinion.

Yes, if you're a bodybuilder, then your BMI is a less accurate reflection of obesity. If you're not, then the "muscle weighs more than fat" argument is likely just rationalization.

I'll make the offer that anyone here can send me a photo of themselves in a T-shirt and I'll be happy to render an opinion as to whether their BMI of 35 or higher represents fat or muscle ;) .

The concierge medicine was a rhetorical question referencing my previous thread.

Several years ago I was at a crossroads where I was either going to have to buy new pants or go to the gym. I am 6'2" 215. I hired a personal trainer, not that I needed someone to show me around or develop a plan but it made me go, and actually gained weight, but lost the beer gut. Fine by me. However, on the BMI I was still classified as overweight. Which was clearly not the case as my body fat index (around 12) was well below what was considered obese (25%). I am clearly no body builder and was not then either. There are so many other factors like frame size (I wear a 48 long coat) that cannot be calculated by BMI. It is a great tool to scare people into the gym or into a healthier lifestyle, but as far as it's accuracy I am skeptical.

RexDog1
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Steve hang in there, do what your Doctors say, it will be a lifestyle change,
Read as much as you can about your health issues, just to understand what your up agents, this comes from an
18-year, cancer survivor………..
Strong family history or not, GET A COMPLETE PHYSICAL ASAP!!!
Yes a Complete Physical is no fun……well some of you might like it?
Just think of your family and kids or kids you are going to have, UMP…….
Steve You can do it:cool:

Bruce
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Stevo. What you wrote will help a lot of people by making them aware of the importance of regular checkups None of us are bullet proof.In 1989 I went for routine physical and found the right cornary artery was 100 % blocked along with some other lesser blockages. Good help from the lesser vessels prevented the "big one". Angioplastay(Bigmac PTCA). Ever since Lipotor, Zetia, and 81 mg asprin are part of my daily routine. Chol. runs about 180 or less and all other numbers are great. So you can get through it and come out fine. Anemia you mentioned I take iron (feregon) every day as well and it is now fine. Went for the colonoscpy 3 weeks ago. Almost had the Dr. convinced that since I had had one 6 yrs ago I could wait Doc. didn't buy it .Guess what found a really bad news pollop. But because they found it, no big deal. If I had waited I may not have rounded that next bouy. I hope your openess will motivate others to get the checkups. Politically correct or not: I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck and God bless.

phecksel
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Stevo,

Don't let the dr put you on any statin (lipitor, zocor and others). If you want more information, send me a PM.

Cholesterol numbers are not that bad. Triglycerides are high and indicate maybe too many carbs and/or too much alcohol. It impacts all the numbers.

Phil

Maristar210
11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
SteveO -

I feel your pain my good man. All my stuff is slightly jacked up and I try to do what I can by excercising at 85% of my max heart rate three times a week. My doctors has some unrealistic expectations though when he tells me to lay off the double Sausage pizza and the few dozen beers per week. This will never happen. I quit tobacco and lost weight but I still have to indulge you know.

Wasn't it Jack LaLane that said treat your body like a checkbook:

Exercise and eating right counts as a deposit

Booze and bad food is a withdrawl

Well I am here to tell you have some some withdrawls of my own and they are directly related to double sausage pizza and pitchers of beer.:D

GLTU - Steve

bigmac
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
The concierge medicine was a rhetorical question referencing my previous thread.

Several years ago I was at a crossroads where I was either going to have to buy new pants or go to the gym. I am 6'2" 215. I hired a personal trainer, not that I needed someone to show me around or develop a plan but it made me go, and actually gained weight, but lost the beer gut. Fine by me. However, on the BMI I was still classified as overweight. Which was clearly not the case as my body fat index (around 12) was well below what was considered obese (25%). I am clearly no body builder and was not then either. There are so many other factors like frame size (I wear a 48 long coat) that cannot be calculated by BMI. It is a great tool to scare people into the gym or into a healthier lifestyle, but as far as it's accuracy I am skeptical.I hear patients say those exact things almost every day of the week.

east tx skier
11-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi Steve,

Start eating that oatmeal brother. Glad you caught it before it was too late. I'm due for a physical the first of next year.

PendO
11-10-2006, 02:13 PM

So BigMac - I'm 30, what supplement/vitamins/oils should I be taking? When does the daily asprin become a good idea, when to start with flaxseed oil of fish oil?

beef
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
A colonoscopy at 50, but age 40 is when you should start "getting your oil level checked". If there is a family history of prostate cancer, I think it's even earlier. Pick a Dr. with small fingers.

richardsoncd
11-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Well that's one thing I have undercontrol.........mine hovers between 14 and 20.

I'm not sure about that thing....it says I am borderline obese. In my prime, when I was playing college lacrosse....working out twice a day, and in the best shape of my life I would have still been considered overweight...it really doesn't acccount for muscle mass.

bigmac
11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
A colonoscopy at 50, but age 40 is when you should start "getting your oil level checked". If there is a family history of prostate cancer, I think it's even earlier. Pick a Dr. with small fingers.It's all downhill from age 50 - and in the absence of risk factors like smoking, obesity, diabetes, family history, there's probably little value in those things before that age. PSA may be something to start checking earlier for prostate cancer screening, maybe age 40.

There's nothing wrong with taking fish oil now - no downside. Aspirin - probably no value at age 30 (in the absence of risk factors). Vitamins - there was at one time a lot of pseudoscientific hoopla about anti-oxidants and free radical scavengers. Health food stores began hawking vitamin A compounds for that, then upped the ante by convincing people that some vit A congeners have better bioavailability and convinced a lot of people who should know better (like my partner) that they should spend hundreds of $$ per month for the alpha-tocopherol congener of vitamin A. He doesn't take that stuff any more - just a low dose statin (lipitor) like virtually every cardiologist I know.

LakePirate
11-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I hear patients say those exact things almost every day of the week.

So is this one of those things where you nod and say sure?
Or are you a firm believer in the BMI?

It seems to me that by your look at you in a T-Shirt comment that you are accounting for frame size as well.

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 05:16 PM

I'll take that bet. That BMI thing you posted said I was just over the "normal" range and in the "overweight" catergory. I am 5'10 and weigh 180 lbs, I wear 32" pants. My body fat, via the tape, is under 10%. I guarantee you I am not fat. I can run a mile in under 5 min 30 seconds, did a 10K a few months ago and can clear 300 lbs on the bench. According to the AF Physical Fitness Test (waist measurement, push ups, situps, 1.5 mile run) I am in the top 10% of my age group. So bottom line, whoever came up with that stupid BMI B.S. can stick that thing where the sun don't shine.

phecksel
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
I'll take that bet. That BMI thing you posted said I was just over the "normal" range and in the "overweight" catergory. I am 5'10 and weigh 180 lbs, I wear 32" pants. My body fat, via the tape, is under 10%. I guarantee you I am not fat. I can run a mile in under 5 min 30 seconds, did a 10K a few months ago and can clear 300 lbs on the bench. According to the AF Physical Fitness Test (waist measurement, push ups, situps, 1.5 mile run) I am in the top 10% of my age group. So bottom line, whoever came up with that stupid BMI B.S. can stick that thing where the sun don't shine.
Blah Blah Blah Blah, LOL

Ok, I'm a little jealous!

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Blah Blah Blah Blah, LOL

I'll cut you man!! LOL :D

Ric
11-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't want mac looking at me in my tshirt

bigmac
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
No, doctors don't (or shouldn't) take BMI value by itself as the end-all of obesity determination. As I've mentioned in a previous post, Mr. Universe from a few years ago (I forget his name) had a BMI of 44, which represents morbid obesity. Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime had a BMI of 33. BMI is a correlative tool only and only useful in evaluating large populations of people for general population health. Obviously, when we start applying it to individuals like a dedicated slalom skier or a career Air Force officer, it's value breaks down. Taken by itself, BMI is really only useful as sole indicator of obesity (and therefore cardiovascular health) if used in conjuction with waist-to-hip ratio (apple-shaped people vs pear-shaped people) and a thorough review of the patient's existing co-morbidities like diabetes, high blood pressure etc. Even then, it has to be looked at carefully. The misuse of BMI to the extent that misuse exists results from the NIH Consensus Conference of 1991 on obesity where the National Instututes of Health concluded that the previous method of determining obesity (100 lbs over ideal body weight) was inadequate. They said that BMI is a better indicator of obesity within the total context above than that criterion.

My perspective is from assessing people for weight-loss surgery and that's how we use BMI - in determining whether someone is a candidate based on BMI and those other considerations. I certainly acknowledge that I can't tell from BMI alone over the internet whether someone is obese, but if I'm sitting in the same room with you in a T-shirt where I can observe body habitus, frame, and fat distribution, I can get a pretty good idea - which was my point.

I do run into patients almost every day that decry the value of BMI and in the particular patient population I often deal with, I am more than occasionally put in mind of Cartman. I apologize to any of you if I may have implied obesity on the basis of your BMI alone - not my intent, hence the T-shirt photo statement.

This is why practicing medicine over the internet is a bad idea.

Chief
11-10-2006, 07:54 PM
If ya look like a pear then excercise! If you look like a weeble excercise! If your belt buckle flips over because of the ole roof for the tool excercise! If you think the only good food is fried excercise! If you eat pasta exclusively excercise! No food is bad for you if eaten in moderation.

Overall excercise

Maristar210
11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
No, doctors don't (or shouldn't) take BMI value by itself as the end-all of obesity determination. As I've mentioned in a previous post, Mr. Universe from a few years ago (I forget his name) had a BMI of 44, which represents morbid obesity. Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime had a BMI of 33. BMI is a correlative tool only and only useful in evaluating large populations of people for general population health. Obviously, when we start applying it to individuals like a dedicated slalom skier or a career Air Force officer, it's value breaks down. Taken by itself, BMI is really only useful as sole indicator of obesity (and therefore cardiovascular health) if used in conjuction with waist-to-hip ratio (apple-shaped people vs pear-shaped people) and a thorough review of the patient's existing co-morbidities like diabetes, high blood pressure etc. Even then, it has to be looked at carefully. The misuse of BMI to the extent that misuse exists results from the NIH Consensus Conference of 1991 on obesity where the National Instututes of Health concluded that the previous method of determining obesity (100 lbs over ideal body weight) was inadequate. They said that BMI is a better indicator of obesity within the total context above than that criterion.

My perspective is from assessing people for weight-loss surgery and that's how we use BMI - in determining whether someone is a candidate based on BMI and those other considerations. I certainly acknowledge that I can't tell from BMI alone over the internet whether someone is obese, but if I'm sitting in the same room with you in a T-shirt where I can observe body habitus, frame, and fat distribution, I can get a pretty good idea - which was my point.

I do run into patients almost every day that decry the value of BMI and in the particular patient population I often deal with, I am more than occasionally put in mind of Cartman. I apologize to any of you if I may have implied obesity on the basis of your BMI alone - not my intent, hence the T-shirt photo statement.

This is why practicing medicine over the internet is a bad idea.

I agree with your comments, especially the last one. I am no MD but I am smart enought to know certain things that relate well to our, dare I say, middle aged issues. I know as a Physician you take many things into account to offer an opinion. This would be the basis behind your "send me a picture of you with your t-shirt off" comment. It is almost impossible to give advice let alone offer some sort of a qualified diagnosis based upon some descriptions given in a chat setting.

My BMI is high but does not tell you what a manly stud I really am (insert sarcasm here).....LOL

Steve

11-10-2006, 08:30 PM
My BMI is high but does not tell you what a manly stud I really am

dont be hittin on Bigmac there Staristar!

bigmac
11-10-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree with your comments, especially the last one. I am no MD but I am smart enought to know certain things that relate well to our, dare I say, middle aged issues. I know as a Physician you take many things into account to offer an opinion. This would be the basis behind your "send me a picture of you with your t-shirt off" comment. It is almost impossible to give advice let alone offer some sort of a qualified diagnosis based upon some descriptions given in a chat setting.

My BMI is high but does not tell you what a manly stud I really am (insert sarcasm here).....LOL

StevePerhaps I should clarify that the T-shirt photo concept was meant to be rhetorical - I'll be OK with it if no one actually takes me up on that...

11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Perhaps I should clarify that the T-shirt photo concept was meant to be rhetorical - I'll be OK with it if no one actually takes me up on that...
oh it may be too late for that Bigmac......I think Staristar is probably standing in the mirror now with the digital camera:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

PendO
11-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Perhaps I should clarify that the T-shirt photo concept was meant to be rhetorical - I'll be OK with it if no one actually takes me up on that...

Good, cause UMP has been sending PM's trying to get a photo shoot together ... and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable ... I told him I liked the old SS thread, but I could not get on board with a BMI thread:)

BriEOD
11-11-2006, 09:42 AM
So am I fat? LOL! Just kidding Mac. Apology accepted.

BTW, what kind of medicine do you practice?

bigmac
11-11-2006, 09:58 AM

BTW, what kind of medicine do you practice?

Looks to me like just one bicep would put you out of whack if using only BMI criteria. I'll cancel your appointment for weight loss surgery.

I'm a General and Laparendoscopic Surgeon. I specialize in minimally invasive surgery of the chest and abdomen. Although well outside my specialty area, I occasionally answer questions here on flu shots and knee injuries on the basis that "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king..."

BriEOD
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
What is your opinion on getting a flu shot or the inhallation exposure? Do you think it is a good idea?

11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I was just trying to organize a group buy on physical exams Pendo, thats all. 8p

BriEOD
11-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I was just trying to organize a group buy on physical exams Pendo, thats all. 8p
If you and Pendo want to get colonoscopies together that's your buisness!!

Maristar210
11-11-2006, 10:30 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

bigmac
11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
What is your opinion on getting a flu shot or the inhallation exposure? Do you think it is a good idea?Mixed emotions. I usually get a flu shot on the basis of "can't hurt, might help" and because it doesn't cost me anything and I don't have to make a doctor's appointment to get one, but I confess I'm a little skeptical of their effectiveness. Whether they work or not in a given flu season depends on how well the CDC guessed the prevalent flu strain for that year. Also, bear in mind that it's much more common to get a non-flu virus ("common cold" or something) during that same season. The flu is usually nasty business - a lot of people get some other epidemic viral illness and think it's the flu, then say their flu shot didn't work, when it may have. It's hard to statistically analyse that.

I don't think the inhalation stuff is necessarily more effective but ICBW. Some say it is because it's an attenuated virus instead of a killed virus like the flu shot. I don't know.

My other approach is Tamiflu or Relenza, which I keep around and start taking at the first sign of any viral illness. That does work and really ameliorates the symptoms and shortens the course of the illness.

bigmac
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Also get a colonoscopy at 50, my doctor never ordered one, then at 53 I found out I had colorectal cancer, surgery, chemo, radiation etc., etc. which has led to other side effects. If I had gone @ 50 they would have found the polyp or a small cancer that could have been dealt with earlier with less invasive surgery and after effects.

Yikes, Harold...I hate that. I find pre-cancerous colon polyps almost every day and usually a couple of colon cancers each month. On Tuesday I found a colon cancer on a 60 year-old guy and yesterday had to tell him and his family that the workup shows spread throughout his liver and his lungs. His doctor before he moved here had recommended a colonscopy a couple of years ago, but he's a farmer and never got around to it. If he had, we'd have a whole different situation.

Farmer Ted
11-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Hulk,

you left handed?

PendO
11-11-2006, 01:00 PM
If you and Pendo want to get colonoscopies together that's your buisness!!

whatever you say fatty:)

Ric
11-11-2006, 01:15 PM

BTW, what kind of medicine do you practice? dude your arms are too big for your chest8p that is an old photo, I saw you outside your garage yesterday:rolleyes:

BriEOD
11-11-2006, 02:11 PM
No, not left handed. That picture is about 10 years old. I am not that big anymore. That was pre-marriage/kids. I still am in good shape though and run, lift weight and try to eat right.

Touche' Pendo.

Hoosier Bob
11-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear of this Steve. My last physical was in the ninth grade. I know a ton hav broken since then. My lifestyle is not the most condusive to a healthy being. That being said I will try to get my physical this year. I feel better knowing that I will not need the finger in my arse until I am 60! Thanks Big Mac if I would have known that I would have gone sooner!:o

Leroy
11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Perfect example of how annual exam has heavy influence on how long you live.

Are we a bunch of old farts around here or what?

Yikes, Harold...I hate that. I find pre-cancerous colon polyps almost every day and usually a couple of colon cancers each month. On Tuesday I found a colon cancer on a 60 year-old guy and yesterday had to tell him and his family that the workup shows spread throughout his liver and his lungs. His doctor before he moved here had recommended a colonscopy a couple of years ago, but he's a farmer and never got around to it. If he had, we'd have a whole different situation.

Leroy
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Remember these polls?

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7156&highlight=longevity

bigmac
11-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear of this Steve. My last physical was in the ninth grade. I know a ton hav broken since then. My lifestyle is not the most condusive to a healthy being. That being said I will try to get my physical this year. I feel better knowing that I will not need the finger in my arse until I am 60! Thanks Big Mac if I would have known that I would have gone sooner!:o
Well, actually it's age 50, but I was speaking only from a medical necessity standpoint.

Hoosier Bob
11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Don't worry I won't quote you! I still have 8 years right? I think every time I ski my pipes get a thourough cleaning! The dirtbikes proabably do not help much but so far I feel decent. Not slowing as of yet anyway. I'll put it on my calendar "eight years go get fingerin.":o

Maristar210
11-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Don't worry I won't quote you! I still have 8 years right? I think every time I ski my pipes get a thourough cleaning! The dirtbikes proabably do not help much but so far I feel decent. Not slowing as of yet anyway. I'll put it on my calendar "eight years go get fingerin.":o

Bob

I got one of those fancy inspection mirrors, wanna borrow it?8p

TMCNo1
11-11-2006, 09:34 PM

Yes, and a bunch of whats too!

Hoosier Bob
11-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I'll bet I can find a good "Do-it-Yourself" kit on Ebay somewhere! I may still need the mirror though! I could polish on of my Coors light cans!:o Bob

I got one of those fancy inspection mirrors, wanna borrow it?8p

Maristar210
11-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I'll bet I can find a good "Do-it-Yourself" kit on Ebay somewhere! I may still need the mirror though! I could polish on of my Coors light cans!:o

If anyone can it would be you....

Hoosier Bob
11-11-2006, 09:47 PM
I WANNA RIDE! Where is the motocross thread?:confused:

PendO
11-11-2006, 09:49 PM
I WANNA RIDE! Where is the motocross thread?:confused:

Whatever, you are probably doing Richard Gere research on the do it yourself kit:)

Hoosier Bob
11-11-2006, 09:53 PM
A gerble with a camera on it's head? Not only do I not go there I don't even know how to spell gerble! Whatever Casey! I have seen your lightbulb X-Rays all over the internet!8p

PS. Next time you are getting BZ to "You Light Up My Life" stay clear of the lightbulbs!

bcampbe7
11-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, my yearly check-up showed that my Cholesterol is 247! Doctor wants to put me on Crestor. Not sure what I want to do at this point.
I am 29 years old, 5'10" and 186lbs and admittedly I don't exercise, at all, and probably could stand to eat a little better.

Do I start an exercise program? I have never really been on an exercise program. My brother is a personal trainer so I could get him to get me going.

Do I go on Crestor? I have heard and read mixed feelings about Statins. I hate taking meds for anything.

Do I take Fish oil and flax seed oil pills? I went to GNC the other day and picked some up. Are they worth it.

RexDog1
11-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Perfect example of how annual exam has heavy influence on how long you live.

You are 2 years older than myself…………grandpa :uglyhamme

It is good to be an old fart:cool:

stevo137
11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Some good news!
Tests to date:
Echocardiogram: slight backflow in the tricuspid valve due to elevated blood pressure. Doc says no big deal and it should disappear when I get my cholesterol down and that I can exercise as normal.
Ultrasound on liver and gull bladder: negative, no problems.
HEART SCAN! The scary one: Calcium scoring was 0! :)
Can't wait for my next racquetball game!
Regards and Happy Thanksgiving!
stevo

André
11-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Good to read that my friend!!!
Take care of those bones...:D
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Steve!

André:)

Leroy
11-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Those AARP cards will be coming soon.:D

You are 2 years older than myself…………grandpa :uglyhamme

It is good to be an old fart:cool:

Jesus_Freak
11-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Some good news!
Tests to date:
Echocardiogram: slight backflow in the tricuspid valve due to elevated blood pressure. Doc says no big deal and it should disappear when I get my cholesterol down and that I can exercise as normal.
Ultrasound on liver and gull bladder: negative, no problems.
HEART SCAN! The scary one: Calcium scoring was 0! :)
Can't wait for my next racquetball game!
Regards and Happy Thanksgiving!
stevo

Great news man!

BriEOD
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
That is great news Steve.

stevo137
12-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Update: How ironic that I would call this thread, can these BONES live. The doc didn't like what she saw in some results of the bloodtest. (Elevated enzymes, bone)
She ordered a bone scan, the one where they shoot a radioactive tracer in you and scan.
It was kind of a scary week after the results of the bone scan. I have three areas of abnormalities which the doc had concerns that I might have signs multiple myeloma (bone cancer). I could actually see those areas light up during the bone scan and it really gets the wheels turning!
IT REALLY GETS YOU THINKING ABOUT THINGS WHILE GETTING MORE TESTS!
Anyway, the good news is after x-rays on the areas and more blood tests, it was determined that I do not have MM and it appears that these cold spots are probably due to a broken rib from waterskiing about a year ago and inflamation to my shoulder and knee from playing racquetball.
A list of the tests that I had:
Multiple bloodwork including complete liver panel, liver and gull bladder ultrasound, echocardiogram, heart scan, bone scan, and x-rays.
The cause of the elevated alkaline phosphatase levels is not determined and it is known that some people have this without an explanation why. (Well I hear that heavy drinking can cause this too but my liver is fine.) :rolleyes:
Now I just need to focus on getting back in shape and eating well again to get the cholesterol down and will get another exam and bloodwork in February 07.

PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND GET THAT PHYSICAL!

Hope all of you all of you and yours are doing well and Mac, any input from you would be appreciated!

Ric
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
That's good news
Are you back?
it's getting weird in here

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Wow! What a scare...

12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Mac, any input from you would be appreciated!
So MY input here Isnt appreciated then??:confused:
8p ;)

HI steve, good to hear from you. glad your still OK.

and I agree iwth Ric, its getting weird here, we need you back, with more cowbell!:D

bigmac
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Update: How ironic that I would call this thread, can these BONES live. The doc didn't like what she saw in some results of the bloodtest. (Elevated enzymes, bone)
She ordered a bone scan, the one where they shoot a radioactive tracer in you and scan.
It was kind of a scary week after the results of the bone scan. I have three areas of abnormalities which the doc had concerns that I might have signs multiple myeloma (bone cancer). I could actually see those areas light up during the bone scan and it really gets the wheels turning!
IT REALLY GETS YOU THINKING ABOUT THINGS WHILE GETTING MORE TESTS!
Anyway, the good news is after x-rays on the areas and more blood tests, it was determined that I do not have MM and it appears that these cold spots are probably due to a broken rib from waterskiing about a year ago and inflamation to my shoulder and knee from playing racquetball.
A list of the tests that I had:
Multiple bloodwork including complete liver panel, liver and gull bladder ultrasound, echocardiogram, heart scan, bone scan, and x-rays.
The cause of the elevated alkaline phosphatase levels is not determined and it is known that some people have this without an explanation why. (Well I hear that heavy drinking can cause this too but my liver is fine.) :rolleyes:
Now I just need to focus on getting back in shape and eating well again to get the cholesterol down and will get another exam and bloodwork in February 07.

PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND GET THAT PHYSICAL!

Hope all of you all of you and yours are doing well and Mac, any input from you would be appreciated!

How high was your alkaline phosphatase?

It's a pretty non-specific enzyme and many things can cause its elevation - heart damage, liver damage, bone damage, small intestinal damage.

pregnancy
healing bone fracture
liver diseases
biliary obstruction
hepatitis
bone disease
rickets
leukemia
thyroid gland infection
hyperparathyroidism
chronic alcohol ingestion

Or it may be elevated for no good reason. Anyway, sounds like your doctor is on top of it, and I agree with the approach of making some changes and rechecking in absence of any specific findings based on the tests done so far.

12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
^^^^^Yea, what he said!^^^^^ (see, I told you I am like a doctor8p )

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM

It's a pretty non-specific enzyme and many things can cause its elevation - heart damage, liver damage, bone damage, small intestinal damage.

pregnancy
healing bone fracture
liver diseases
biliary obstruction
hepatitis
bone disease
rickets
leukemia
thyroid gland infection
hyperparathyroidism

Or it may be elevated for no good reason. Anyway, sounds like your doctor is on top of it, and I agree with the approach of making some changes and rechecking in absence of any specific findings based on the tests done so far.

So your saying that Stevo may be pregnant??? :D

Good to hear the test for MM is negative Stevo.

Here's to hoping we get our cholesterols in check! :toast:

12-08-2006, 01:37 PM
So your saying that Stevo may be pregnant??? :D

Good to hear the test for MM is negative Stevo.

Here's to hoping we get our cholesterols in check! :toast:
Here is hoping to Stevo NOT being pregnant! :cool:

Monte
12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Here is hoping to Stevo NOT being pregnant! :cool:

However if he were, it is stated in Walt Disney's will that the first man to become pregnant naturally will inherit the Disney fortune... Yes WD was a sick sick man!!!

Leroy
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Let me know what you find out, I'm reading as mine was 23x and I don't want to go on pills. I'm pretty sure losing some weight will help mine. About 10 years ago mine was 170. Doctor wants mine below 150 now.

Well, my yearly check-up showed that my Cholesterol is 247! Doctor wants to put me on Crestor. Not sure what I want to do at this point.
I am 29 years old, 5'10" and 186lbs and admittedly I don't exercise, at all, and probably could stand to eat a little better.

Do I start an exercise program? I have never really been on an exercise program. My brother is a personal trainer so I could get him to get me going.

Do I go on Crestor? I have heard and read mixed feelings about Statins. I hate taking meds for anything.

Do I take Fish oil and flax seed oil pills? I went to GNC the other day and picked some up. Are they worth it.

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Let me know what you find out, I'm reading as mine was 23x and I don't want to go on pills. I'm pretty sure losing some weight will help mine. About 10 years ago mine was 170. Doctor wants mine below 150 now.

I bought an eliptical machine and have completely changed my diet. No more hamburgers and fries!

I exercise 3-4 days/week on the eliptical and do weight training the other days. I haven't stepped on the scale to see if I have actually lost weight but my clothes are starting to fit looser and the eliptical exercising is getting easier. The first time on the thing I barely made it through a 25 minute workout. Pretty sad, but now I can do the 25 minute workout with no problem.

stevo137
12-10-2006, 01:47 AM

pregnancy
healing bone fracture
liver diseases
biliary obstruction
hepatitis
bone disease
rickets
leukemia
thyroid gland infection
hyperparathyroidism

Mac, not sure but that I don't think that they were extremely high but they did not change over two bloodtests. Also, this was my first physical and the doc has no benchmark for me.
Thanks much for your input

kycat2007
12-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Steve, good to see you still posting we have a thread about you and giving you a 21 gun salute. I hope all is well.

stevo137
12-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I bought an eliptical machine and have completely changed my diet. No more hamburgers and fries!

I exercise 3-4 days/week on the eliptical and do weight training the other days. I haven't stepped on the scale to see if I have actually lost weight but my clothes are starting to fit looser and the eliptical exercising is getting easier. The first time on the thing I barely made it through a 25 minute workout. Pretty sad, but now I can do the 25 minute workout with no problem.
Glad to see it Beau! Also glad to see that this thread is getting some people thinking about their health.
Hey, we just got our new Life Fitness X3 and it's awesome! I will never go back to a treadmill!
I'm also getting back on my racquetball game. Played 5 singles games on sunday but only won one.
I did give an A-Open player 2 decent games though.
Keep that diet and exercise going Beau!
C-ya

Workin' 4 Toys
12-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Played 5 singles games on sunday but only won one.
It's good to see you didn't lose all the games to yourself, gotta give yourself a break once in awhile Steveo...;)

stevo137
02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
The numbers are in.
Had my follow up physical and bloodwork.

EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!

Cholesterol: 169 (was 253)

Tri's: 62 (was 273)

HDL: 47

PSA: NORMAL

BP: 130/80

Down 16 lbs but it feels more like 20 since I'm fitting in clothes that I haven't worn in a about a year. Also gained some muscle since I dusted off my weight room and started using it again.
I am not near my fitness goals yet but on a good run for the new year.

Anyway, getting back to a good diet and excercise program that I can stick with have been crucial for me.
DON'T EAT FAST FOOD!!! MOST OF IT IS TERRIBLE FOR YOU...

I asked my doc to give me the PSA test for prostate. I have a customer that is a few years older than me and developed prostate cancer and had it removed in December.

She said that normally she doesn't test until age 50 but personally I think that it's a good idea to get it in your 40's due to the fact that guys in their 40's can get the disease.

Thanks much for all of your support guys! It really helped me get back on track and also make some good personal improvements.

Again, if any of you are putting off the physical as I did, please get it done. You won't regret it...

trickskier
02-13-2007, 03:16 PM
That's great news, congratulations!!!! I started getting annual physicals when I was in my mid 30's. Just gives you peace of mind that everything is OK. Again, congratulations and celebrate a little!!!

sanjuan23
02-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Advice taken and with the wife's persentience just got back from my 1st physical in years now waiting on the blood work etc. Congrats on getting things back into order.

east tx skier
02-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Good news, Steve. Keep up the good work.

TMCNo1
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Sounds fantastic, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mag_Red
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Great news Mi Amigo!:dance: I need to get those numbers also....never had any of it checked...........I guess that because my blood pressure is so damned good and I have the body of a 25 year old;) Been hitting the wts pretty hard as of late and actually weigh more than I ever had. Hopefully it's muscle:D

Harvey
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
To illustrate that it is never too early. I may be only 28 but I actually had all my bloodwork done about 2 months ago and everything except my Cholesterol came back normal (I did have a bagel with cream cheese 20 minutes before they took the blood so the doc said my cholesterol would be high).

The part that scared me was my weight 220. I have since gone back to working out and in less than 2 weeks I have already dropped 6 lbs. I need to be about 190 so I have 24 more to go. I am shooting for the end of April. I already feel better and have more energy.

cbryan70
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
What are the best foods to drop fat? Im looking to drop about 20 pounds before may i weigh 230 wanna be 210ish

Mag_Red
02-13-2007, 04:41 PM
What are the best foods to drop fat? Im looking to drop about 20 pounds before may i weigh 230 wanna be 210ishI assume you mean the best foods to avoid.........right?? It's really common sense...........no sugar, low fats, high protein, no starches ( white potatoes, white rice) No breads! Whole grain is OK.........if it tastes like crap...it's good for you. Lots of veggies. Get your heart rate up..exercise!

cbryan70
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
hahahah yeah i figured basically everything that i hate im suppose to eat

Leroy
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Great going Stevo! It really takes a lot of discipline to do that.

stevo137
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Great going Stevo! It really takes a lot of discipline to do that.

Thanks Leroy. The toughest was getting through the holidays and staying on track and it was just before Thanksgiving when I started.
I still enjoyed myself but made sure to stay away from the bad stuff.
I have also cut down quite a bit on the booze which is also a factor.

BriEOD
02-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats Steve. Feels good doesn't it? McDonald's is the enemy!

Jimmy O
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Way to go Steve. Sometimes to stay on track, you need to keep a track record, such as a diary, to see what works for you and what doesn't. Years ago i designed a diary to help keep a record of nutrition and activity

ggroller
02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
The numbers are in.
Had my follow up physical and bloodwork.

EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!

Cholesterol: 169 (was 253)

Tri's: 62 (was 273)

HDL: 47

PSA: NORMAL

BP: 130/80

Down 16 lbs but it feels more like 20 since I'm fitting in clothes that I haven't worn in a about a year. Also gained some muscle since I dusted off my weight room and started using it again.
I am not near my fitness goals yet but on a good run for the new year.

Anyway, getting back to a good diet and excercise program that I can stick with have been crucial for me.
DON'T EAT FAST FOOD!!! MOST OF IT IS TERRIBLE FOR YOU...

I asked my doc to give me the PSA test for prostate. I have a customer that is a few years older than me and developed prostate cancer and had it removed in December.

She said that normally she doesn't test until age 50 but personally I think that it's a good idea to get it in your 40's due to the fact that guys in their 40's can get the disease.

Thanks much for all of your support guys! It really helped me get back on track and also make some good personal improvements.

Again, if any of you are putting off the physical as I did, please get it done. You won't regret it...

Awesome, man.

ggroller
02-14-2007, 09:13 AM
To illustrate that it is never too early. I may be only 28 but I actually had all my bloodwork done about 2 months ago and everything except my Cholesterol came back normal (I did have a bagel with cream cheese 20 minutes before they took the blood so the doc said my cholesterol would be high).

The part that scared me was my weight 220. I have since gone back to working out and in less than 2 weeks I have already dropped 6 lbs. I need to be about 190 so I have 24 more to go. I am shooting for the end of April. I already feel better and have more energy.

I'm in a similiar boat with April as my target "ready" date. I started working out and eating right in Nov. '06 and things are looking good.

Good luck with hitting your goal.

milkmania
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
dang Jimmy!:eek3: