PDA

View Full Version : The Big Easy

6ballsisall
11-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Headed out to New Orleans in the morning for a convention. Haven't been to N.O. since I was a kid. What will it look like now????

Mag_Red
11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Headed out to New Orleans in the morning for a convention. Haven't been to N.O. since I was a kid. What will it look like now????I thought the place was still under water:confused: Better bring your vest:D

6ballsisall
11-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I thought the place was still under water:confused: Better bring your vest:D

Not quite sure what I'll see really. It could be interesting. :confused:

Leroy
11-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I bet everywhere you go will be shiny new!

Bruce
11-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Just did a long reply but it would not let me post. I''ll try again but briefer. First thanks for coming. Tourist and convention dollars are badly needed and much appreciated. The areas you will likely be in will not look much diffrent. Try and get outside the city into Lakeview, 9th ward, N.O. east etc. the farther east and south you go is where you will see the devastation. A lot of the homes wiil not be down but if you look close you will notice they are empty and many gutted. Look for the painted symbol on the door from search and rescue. One number will show you how many died in that home. Remember it was not he winds from Katrina but the water from the breached levys. Levys built by our own Corps of Engineers. Appreciate you are standing in a city that a liitle over a year ago suffered the greatest disaster in the history of this country. You will probably say what everyone does"you have to see it to believe it" and that is a fact. "the city that care forgot" has not forgot to care. Welcome. Have a great time and come back soon. Come in the summer and it will be my honor to pull you around the bayou I live on. (don't worry the gators and I are on a first name basis.)

erkoehler
11-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Thats comforting:o

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 07:35 AM
I was there in 02' for the Super Bowl.

BrianM
11-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Headed out to New Orleans in the morning for a convention. Haven't been to N.O. since I was a kid. What will it look like now????
NAR conference? How long are you in for? I am in town a lot and would like to meet up for lunch or drinks if you have any free time. Bring your ski and a drysuit and we can ski some sets.

Probably won't notice much of a difference unless you get out in the neighborhoods. As Bruce said we ned the tourist dollars

Bruce
11-10-2006, 10:29 AM
To erkoehler. It was not meant to be comforting. There is nothing warm and fuzzy about it. As I said and Brian agrees: Unless you go out into the neighborhoods you won't notice much change. My point is you need to go into the areas that were hit and see for yourself what the true situation is. Not what the press and Washington say in order to justify the lack of help and the poor performance of FEMA.

Sodar
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
To erkoehler. It was not meant to be comforting. There is nothing warm and fuzzy about it. As I said and Brian agrees: Unless you go out into the neighborhoods you won't notice much change. My point is you need to go into the areas that were hit and see for yourself what the true situation is. Not what the press and Washington say in order to justify the lack of help and the poor performance of FEMA.

I think ERK was refering to the gators...

I do not think that any of us would argue that New Orleans has had a VERY tough go of it and our hearts go out to the families that have been affected by this...

Workin' 4 Toys
11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
NAR conference? How long are you in for? I am in town a lot and would like to meet up for lunch or drinks if you have any free time. Bring your ski and a drysuit and we can ski some sets.

Probably won't notice much of a difference unless you get out in the neighborhoods. As Bruce said we ned the tourist dollars
I think he is already there....And possibly gone.....:confused:

Bruce
11-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Sodar thanks for the kind words. ERK perhaps you did mean the gators if so I apoligize. We are still a little sensitive.

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Well said Bruce, my only statement is that these Levy's were maintained by many corrupt levy districts that spent taxpayers money on projects unrelated to levy maitinance. I understand there is still a lot of that federal levy money they cant find. ( no offence intended Bruce) :twocents:

6ballsisall
11-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Brian, PM back at ya! I should've brought my ski!!! Well.....not really, wont have any play time........:(

Come see me at NAR if you a realtor in town! I know we have a few of them on here!

Bruce
11-10-2006, 04:08 PM
TX no offense taken. There is certainly truth in what you say. I am pleased to say that every effort is being made to clean up the political mess. i.e the combining of levy districts and parish asseors etc. Sacred cows in the past but no more. However even maintaining them would not have prevented this. The Corps has acknowledged they were poorly designed by them. As for as federal levy money what is fact and what is fiction I honestly don't know. Probably some of both. My concern is that the past problems will hinder the recovery here. I have seen so much bad PR in the press. Much I know to be wrong. I can tell you this. Most of the help with the recover has not been from the federal goverment but, from church groups all over the country. They have driven great distances and worked their butts off. All of this while in tents, in cars or anywhere they could.(i.e. chruch gyms etc. on the floor.) Through out all of this horror I have also seen amazing acts of love and compassion. There are many who we owe much.

TX.X-30 fan
11-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Very well stated again Bruce. I am sure some of my bitterness is a result of Houston's ongoing problems with some of your less desirable former residents. This however does not reflect my feelings toward the good citizens of new orleans or LA. Our prayers are with you.

Have inlaws in mandaville myself.

Bruce
11-11-2006, 05:24 PM
TX if I had know you were from Houston I would have said you have every right to judge! We get it from so many who don't have a clue. Your city opened its hearts and homes and ended up getting more of our garabage than anyone. We have good friends in Kingswood (old fraternity brother and golfing buddy) when we visit I wish I could hide my license plate. We have other friend in other parts of Houston as well but go there more often. My daughter and her family live in Mandeville and we are only 12 miles from Mand. In fact we go to church there. (St Timothy UMC) may even know your inlaws from various other connections. Taking a break from watching my old alma mater South Carolina play Fla. Catch you later. By the way thanks for the prayers. They are still needed

6ballsisall
11-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Yo all! Been a while since my last post. Been working my arse off at the NAR convention........no play time.........:(

Been enjoying Bourbon street each evening, my stomach says no more booze for about another year.......:rolleyes:

As it was said in another post in here. You just won't believe the devestation unless you see it in person. I caught a glimpse of a neighborhood close by that ws completely destroyed and still hasn't begun restoration....it's unbelievable to think streets we walked this weekend were a little over a year ago were under water and had the deceased floating around........

I am glad NAR was held here, from talking to some locals the tourist economy is WAY off. While NAR annual isn't the biggest conference around there is upwards of 15k realtors here this weekend. THat should have some positive economic impact.

Bruce
11-12-2006, 03:32 PM
You did what I asked earlier: you saw for yourself. Also you saw we are open for bussiness! Spread the word. If you are looking for great food, great drinks, great jazz and great people New Orleans is the place to go! We appreciate all the bucks you and NAR left in New Orleans. They will be but to good use. Thank you for trusting us to show you a good time. Bet you did not go hungry or thirsty. Yall come on back now ya hear!