PDA

View Full Version : Weird

Knoxes
12-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I went to get the boat to bring it home (out of dry storage,permanently) on Saturday morning. I use the trailer about twice a year. I made it about half way home (15 miles) and I knew something wasn't right. It was making all kinds of racket, so I got out to look and the studs on the hub had rounded out holes in the wheel about an inch in diameter and the wheel had worn the studs down to about half their thickness. The lug nuts were still tight as far as I could tell. I ended up calling a wrecker and having it towed the last 10 miles home. Haven't had a chance to pull the wheel off yet. Guess I was pretty close to losing it entirely. Wonder what happened.

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear that you didn't lose it entirely. Strange.

ktn_cmu
12-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Did you buy the boat new? Maybe it was run with loose lugs at one point which made it impossible to tighten the lugs enough as the damage was already done...or, were the lugs really tight, or did the damage to the studs make it appear that way??? One way or another, it was caused by loose lugs at one point IMHO.

Knoxes
12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
No, it's an 88 and I bought it 3 years ago and I haven't touched that wheel - but I've used the trailer probably half a dozen times. Seems like you're right tho. Obviously the wheel was able to move around on the studs.

FYI - on loading the trailer onto a flatbed wrecker, you have to use extension ramps or you'll bottom out the prop for sure. Ask me how I know this. :mad:

ktn_cmu
12-20-2004, 02:02 PM
FYI - on loading the trailer onto a flatbed wrecker, you have to use extension ramps or you'll bottom out the prop for sure. Ask me how I know this. :mad:

Well, I'll bet it is not because the highly skilled flatbed operator told you beforehand...

André
12-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Knoxes
Sorry for your prop...Thanks for the tip!