PDA

View Full Version : Annoying mice in the attic

pflcjl
11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a fairly new all brick home. I pay an exterminator and I put poison around the house in the fall. I also sealed up any cracks or openings with caulk. Unfortunately I am still getting mice in the attic. Does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of mice. I do not have or plan to get a cat or a dog! Thanks....

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
We had a mouse and rat problem in our house when we first moved in (we back up to a creek area). I used traps and caught them pretty regularly in the house and under it, but everytime I got it under control they would come back. Then, after a particulary nasty incident when a mouse actually jumped onto my wife in our pantry, she bought this thing that plugs into the wall and puts out a low/high (?) frequency sound that supposedly drives mice away. I laughed at her for wasting money on it. That was about 3 years ago and we haven't had a mouse or a rat since the day she plugged that thing in. I just looked at it, but it doesn't have a brand/product name on it.

suedv
11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
This sounds kind of funny, but I used to work in a building that had quite a problem with mice. We tried the typical things like cheese or peanut butter on mouse traps and didn't get the mice. They would lick off the peanut butter without springing the trap.

Then one time they got into a bag of butterscotch chips and took most of the chips. We figured that is something they like. So, we put some butterscotch chips on the mouse traps and put the rest of butterscotch chips in a plastic container so we would have more bait for later. We didn't need extra bait. Time after time we caught mice on the same butterscotch chips. We would remove the dead mouse reset the trap with the same chip and sure enough another mouse would die for the same chip. Worked like a charm.

I don't think Nestles would advertise this as a use for their baking product.

Chief
11-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Get the sticky pads, you can look those little ba$tard$ in the eye and see the terror in their eyes when you chuck them in the dumpster!

suedv
11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Get the sticky pads, you can look those little ba$tard$ in the eye and see the terror in their eyes when you chuck them in the dumpster!

Ew, yuck! That give me the creeps. I have a hard enough time with the dead ones... they look so disgusting all stiff and smashed but I get comfort out of the thought they died fast (and if I'm wrong don't ruin my fantasy that it is an easy death).

I would RUN from the room if I had to deal with one that is alive. :eek:

phecksel
11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
I have a fairly new all brick home. I pay an exterminator and I put poison around the house in the fall. I also sealed up any cracks or openings with caulk. Unfortunately I am still getting mice in the attic. Does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of mice. I do not have or plan to get a cat or a dog! Thanks....
Wintergreen oil soaked into cotton balls, fairly heavy to start, and then every four to six months throw a couple new ones up there.

With traps, I've had success with tying partially cooked bacon to the snap trap.

pflcjl
11-09-2006, 07:33 AM
good idea thanks....any others?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Glue traps........ Def try the glue traps. All poison does it kills them and they die hidden in the cracks and crevices. Next comes this conversation...
"Honey do you smell something....Where is THAT coming from....I don't have any idea.!!!"

If they are in an area you know is travelled, lay the glue traps in a line across the path. Some "bait" would help, but not enough to feed them. And check them often.

I've also heard people had luck with the "noise" makers.

mitch
11-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I use the wooden style snap traps at our lake house. I bend the metal clip part to make it more sensitive, you want that matal rod part to be barly hanging on. Use cheese, making sure to jam it in under the curved metal part. This makes them have to work for it, and usually that effort will trip it. I don't have the same luck w/ Peanut butter, they can sit there and gently lick it off. Traps are .50/ea, so you can just throw them away if you don't want to deal w/ them. I've got 4 set now, and am hoping for 4 for 4 tomorrow when I head up. I keep setting them until no more mice show up. Usually get 10 or so a year. Good luck

beef
11-09-2006, 10:47 AM
A jelly bean as bait in the regular spring style traps will work well & will let you re-use the bait.

I had a mouse trapped in a powder room in our house once. Had been trying to catch him for months using the catch and release style traps. Kids wanted to use them. (btw - Stay away from that type of trap unless you still want mice in the house.) I put about a dozen glue traps and another dozen snap traps in there and put a rolled up towel under the door so he coudn't get out. Still took a whole day to trap it. Got him in the glue.

flyingskibiker
11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
the rats in my house/attic used to play and poop on the electronic noise maker i had... :(

We had a mouse and rat problem in our house when we first moved in (we back up to a creek area). I used traps and caught them pretty regularly in the house and under it, but everytime I got it under control they would come back. Then, after a particulary nasty incident when a mouse actually jumped onto my wife in our pantry, she bought this thing that plugs into the wall and puts out a low/high (?) frequency sound that supposedly drives mice away. I laughed at her for wasting money on it. That was about 3 years ago and we haven't had a mouse or a rat since the day she plugged that thing in. I just looked at it, but it doesn't have a brand/product name on it.

M-Funf
11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
I believe in living life through chemical intervention. Sticky traps, poison, and whatever will make them really thirsty would be good (so they leave before they die).

What you really need to do is find out how the heck they're getting in! Once you find that and block it, it should be pretty straight forward to eliminate them...

Funny story...

When we did the final walk through of our old house, a rat ran across the floor in front of us in the basement, up a rake handle, and up over the top plate on the wall...

I laughed, the realtor yipped and ran from the room, and the owner, who looked pretty embarrassed, said: "they'll be evicted before you move in" 8p

I have found 3 dead rats in the attic, but haven't looked all over. There are probably some live ones up there, too, but the roofers will find them today:cool:

loeweb
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
What about a hungry cat?

I have heard just to make sure that your traps are placed where the rodents run to. Try to place the bait end of the trap next to a wall or something that they run next to for the best bet.

jimmer2880
11-13-2006, 07:10 AM
the rats in my house/attic used to play and poop on the electronic noise maker i had... :(

That's been my experience as well.

atlfootr
11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
good idea thanks....any others?12 gauge, usually works as well .
Not much of 'em left, afterwards.

Sodar
11-13-2006, 10:25 AM
We had a mouse in the house over the weekend. Damn thing kept me up all night. Friday night I put a trap out and the thing was able to steal the bait without setting off the trap. I ended up going to Home Depot and buying some De-Con. Put some out Saturday morning and last night during dinner, we see the mouse stumble and eek its way across the kitchen floor... it was definitely on its last leg, so I was able to catch it, carry it outside and toss it in the trash! Last night was my first night of solid sleep in 3 days!! AHHHH!!

SKI*MC
11-13-2006, 11:04 PM
we had the same problem in our cottage, we thought they were mice, turns out to be BATS!

thijs
11-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Interesting fact:

The Province of Alberta is Rat free. There are officially no rats in the province and you can't buy them at the pet store. I have even heard that we actually have a patrol at the border.

Alberta Rat Free History (http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441?opendocument)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-17-2006, 11:49 AM
we had the same problem in our cottage, we thought they were mice, turns out to be BATS!
They are noisy aren't they...... Maybe better than racoons though... :confused:

JohnnyB
11-18-2006, 10:26 PM

Please be careful with the poison around your house if you have neighbors or visitors with pets.....its deadly to dogs...

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Purchase more CATS