PDA

View Full Version : How to check for liens and theft when buying a used boat

Carbide
11-08-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm planning to buy a used Mastercraft Barefoot 200 this weekend in Florida. Can anyone get me some contacts in Florida, so that I can check on any leans or theft related to the boat? I have the Boat, motor and trailer serial numbers.
thx for any help

Rob

shepherd
11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
What's a lean?

edit: Sorry, I guess you mean "liens". Where in FL is the boat?

BTW, welcome to the board.

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 11:00 PM
You know, when the bank 'leans' on you when you don't pay...

Seriously, to the original poster, look at the title. Any liens on the boat must reflected on the title. If you're concerned that the seller is showing you a fake title, look for another boat.

6ballsisall
11-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Good recommendations from Arch here. Clean title means no liens.

PendO
11-09-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm planning to buy a used Mastercraft Barefoot 200 this weekend in Florida. Can anyone get me some contacts in Florida, so that I can check on any leans or theft related to the boat? I have the Boat, motor and trailer serial numbers.
thx for any help

Rob

Are boats titled in Florida?

Chief
11-09-2006, 05:19 AM
FL has electronic titles, they are printed when liens are removed. You can call DMV, but they may not talk to you since you're not really the owner yet.

psychobilly
05-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know where to find the trailer serial numbers on the trailer???

jvbaca
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
It should be on the sticker that shows the manufacturer of the trailer, tire size capability and GVW rating (white sticker with black type on it). I think (and I could be wrong) this is a national standard. It's usually located up front on one of the inside beams by the coupler area. It would be the same type of sticker that you would find if you opened the door on your truck and looked at the bottom of the pillar or on the door panel itself to find the weight rating of the vehicle and/or tire sizes that came recommended from factory.

Thrall
05-20-2010, 11:53 AM
If it's an older boat, good luck on the trailer VIN sticker still being intact, but yes, it should be up by the jack.
I guess I've never thought to check that a large ticket item I bought was stolen. Most of the time the prev owners have a loan out, so that covers it, but in those cases where the PO owned the machine outright it never came to mind.
I guess take the HIN and description to the local police and see if it's stolen.
Regarding leins on it. If there's no clear title (some states don't even title boats) to be had and the state doesn't require one then I wouldn't worry about it. If the guy sells you a boat that he owes money on, he will still owe it even though you have the boat.
Only way the bank would find it to repo it if he didn't pay would be to ask him where the boat's at or find the new owner thru Fish and Game registration when you register it. Either way, you're the legal owner (to your knowledge) and have a case to keep the machine, bank will go after the PO.
Just make sure you get a signed Bill of Sale form the po in case the issue comes up.
Why are you worried about it? Current owner seem sketchy? Any documentation how long he's owned it? (recepits, registration, etc)
If it doesn't look right, walk away. Lots of boats for sale.

psychobilly
05-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Well here it is....

I bought the boat in Alabama and I live in Texas.....

Alabama does not require you to register the boat trailer since you have already registered the boat.....

Texas does and if it's over 4000 gross weight trailer holly sheeesh it's a pile of paper work headache!

I had to go to a local MC dealer, get the trailer appraised...

I have to file some paperwork with the TX DOT, just to have it rejected, to carry on with the other paperwork....

When I finally get it titled I will write up step by step what I had to go through in case anyone else in TX buys a boat from another state that doesn't require the trailer to be registered.

I do have the BOS from the PO and it does have the trailer SN on it as well as the 1st and second owners where they had registered the trailer in another state.... <<<<<not good enough. I did see that sticker and your right, good luck..... It's all but sun bleached off......

CantRepeat
05-22-2010, 07:54 AM
In Alabama, I register my boat trailer as a utility trailer so I can have tags on it. If you pull your boat into a state that requires tags on the trailer you might get hit by a LEO who will write that ticket.

Not that any of this helps you.