PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Renovation

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
We are taking the plunge. We bought a 12 year old house and the only thing the previous owners did not upgrade was the kitchen. We contracted out a kitchen renovation company and are getting custom wood cabinets, granite, and new appliances. The floor was recently reaccomplished with 20" Italian Tiles throughout the home. The lighting is still within stlye, ceiling pot lights. The contractor is going to do 95% of the work. However, I have to tear out a plant shelf that encompasses the kitchen and do a minor amount of dry wall and electrical work...fairly easy project.

I'm just curious who else has done this and if you have any thoughts. I was really impressed with the design they came up with and I think it will really improve the value of the house. We will most likely be moving in 2 more years--probably to DC.

Ric
11-08-2006, 09:01 PM
DC?

Brieod in '08

Chief
11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
One of the biggest improvements a home owner can do for a home. People love to see a nice kitchen, probably a 2 for 1 return when time to sell.

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
DC?

Brieod in '08
Yeah right. And my supporting cast:

MarkP as my VP, ETS as Attorney General, UMP as the Press Secretary, JimN as the Nat'l Security Advisor, BeauC as the Chief of Staff, Big Mac as Surgeon General, Ric as Secretary of Commerce, WFT as SecDef....

6ballsisall
11-08-2006, 09:41 PM

MarkP as my VP, ETS as Attorney General, UMP as the Press Secretary, JimN as the Nat'l Security Advisor, BeauC as the Chief of Staff, Big Mac as Surgeon General, Ric as Secretary of Commerce, WFT as SecDef....

Brian I am hurt........ I didn't make your staff?????????:(

Chief
11-08-2006, 09:55 PM

Can I be Chief of Naval Operations? I am already a chief, I just need the "of Naval Operations" added.

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Brian I am hurt........ I didn't make your staff?????????:(
My bad bro!! I thought I had put you down, I had you in mind as my Secretary of the Treasury. I was helping my kid with her math homework as I was typing. I fully had you in mind!!

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Can I be Chief of Naval Operations? I am already a chief, I just need the "of Naval Operations" added.
Sure you can be the CNO, Chief (are you Chief, Sr Chief of Mstr Chief?). Southeast...are you at Mayport, Kings Bay, Duke Field, NAS Pensacola, Charleston NWS...or did I not even guess correctly.

BTW, you are active duty military, drive a F-Series Truck and own a MC...you are alright in my book!

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
HB as the Director of the Food and Drug Administration, TMCNo1 as the Director of the Weights and Measurments Administration. Mag as Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman and he is dam glad to meet you. :D

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
DC?

Brieod in '08
Thanks Ric, now I jacked my own thread.8p

Mag_Red
11-08-2006, 10:24 PM
HB as the Director of the Food and Drug Administration, TMCNo1 as the Director of the Weights and Measurments Administration. Mag as Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman and he is dam glad to meet you. :D Wouldn't he be better in ATF???:D And who is Eric Stratton?????:confused:

Chief
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Sure you can be the CNO, Chief (are you Chief, Sr Chief of Mstr Chief?). Southeast...are you at Mayport, Kings Bay, Duke Field, NAS Pensacola, Charleston NWS...or did I not even guess correctly.

BTW, you are active duty military, drive a F-Series Truck and own a MC...you are alright in my book!

Mayport, I'm a Chief hoping for Senior next year.

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't he be better in ATF???:D And who is Eric Stratton?????:confused:
No, he would not. Who is Eric Stratton!!! Dude c'mon your killing me. Animal House brother.

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Mayport, I'm a Chief hoping for Senior next year.
Good luck to you.

bcampbe7
11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
All I know is I wish I had your money! :)

DC??? What about Arnold?

BriEOD
11-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah me to...

Dude, I'd love to come to Arnold. But, I think I will have to do a school slot out of here.

Farmer Ted
11-08-2006, 11:37 PM
what am I Irish?

I want to be in charge of the ho's

shepherd
11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
I assume you'd be moving to DC because your job will require it, so I could only say "you have my sympathy."
But if you are doing it "voluntarily", I would have to say "what, are you nuts???" I escaped from that nuthouse to move to FL 6 years ago.

Getting back on track, we renovated the kitchens in both houses we owned and sold (did the work ourselves). I definitely believe it is worth it when it comes time to sell. Both times, the buyers loved our kitchen and I'm sure it influenced their decisions.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I accept that appointment. Do we get issued the cool sunglasses? :)

I'm again trying to figure out how to get a gas line down into the wall in our kitchen so I can convert the burners to gas. Then I'll worry about countertops.

jimmer2880
11-09-2006, 06:57 AM
I accept that appointment. Do we get issued the cool sunglasses? :)

I'm again trying to figure out how to get a gas line down into the wall in our kitchen so I can convert the burners to gas. Then I'll worry about countertops.

Unless you have tile, walls are typically rather easy to patch. After running many wires (both high & low voltage), I've learned that it's usually quicker to cut a big enough access hole & repair when you're done. I suggest cutting a ~12" access hole at the bottom. Drill your hole & bring it up.

jimmer2880
11-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Bri, you need to create a new cabinet position... Chief of Technology. Any chances on letting me get that one?

BriEOD in '08!

Maristar210
11-09-2006, 07:20 AM
BriEOD,

What the heck. You K N O W your going to need s sign and campaign manager

R I G H T ?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 09:08 AM

I accept.......:D :toast:

I can't believe (yes I can really) how sidetracked this thread got after just one post.....What was this about again....:rolleyes:

I know someone personally that put way too much money into a kitchen and did not see a return on the investment when they sold. Yes it was very nice when complete, but didn't add enough value to take them to the next level so to speak. SIZE matters. I obviously have no idea just how big your place is, but if they can give the illusion it's bigger than it is, that helps.
Sorry to hear you are going to just fix it up for the next person....And hope they like it as is and don't walk it thinking..Man this place needs a kitchen upgrade..;)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Wait a minute.....You have an enclosed pool..... Scratch everything I said....:rolleyes:

Leroy
11-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Too funny! BriEOD, you will never regret money spent in the kitchen. Just keep somewhat in balance with the rest of the house. I know in my first house granite and linoleum just don't go together!

BriEOD,

What the heck. You K N O W your going to need s sign and campaign manager

R I G H T ?

Ric
11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks Ric, now I jacked my own thread.8p I too accept the cabinet postion. Somewhat of a supply sider- but you knew that. and I want the cool glasses too.
Who gets Charlie Rangel's office?

Maristar210
11-09-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Workin' 4 Toys] SIZE matters. QUOTE]

you said a kitchen full

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Unless you have tile, walls are typically rather easy to patch. After running many wires (both high & low voltage), I've learned that it's usually quicker to cut a big enough access hole & repair when you're done. I suggest cutting a ~12" access hole at the bottom. Drill your hole & bring it up.

I think the problem is that we have a gabled roof and our attics are like a bunch of little mazes. The only solution they've offered us so far is to run an exposed line around the side of the house for $2,000. No thanks. I'm still convinced there's a way though.

/edit. Okay, gabled wasn't the right word it seems. What I mean to say is that we have lots of separately pitched roofs and attics, which makes running anything directly from either of the furnaces difficult (apparently). Aw, here's a picture. It'll be easier. Sorry Gene. And sorry Brian for the threadjack.

Ric
11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
looks just like I remember it on the drive by

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Just keep driving.

http://www.ucp.org/uploads/greece.gif

Ric
11-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Just keep driving.

Oh I am long gone, checking out Gman's place later this morning though

bcampbe7
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I think the problem is that we have a gabled roof and our attics are like a bunch of little mazes. The only solution they've offered us so far is to run an exposed line around the side of the house for $2,000. No thanks. I'm still convinced there's a way though.

/edit. Okay, gabled wasn't the right word it seems. What I mean to say is that we have lots of separately pitched roofs and attics, which makes running anything directly from either of the furnaces difficult (apparently). Aw, here's a picture. It'll be easier. Sorry Gene. And sorry Brian for the threadjack.

That may send Gene over the deep end. Nevermind, that already happened!

Nice crib...

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Oh I am long gone, checking out Gman's place later this morning though

Watch out for his dogs. They've got a taste for blood.

LakePirate
11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
what am I Irish?

I want to be in charge of the ho's

I'm with you.

Eastie - I am assuming you are on a slab?

Good luck on the Kitchen. As a current in the market home buyer, the kitchen is major in the decision making process.

Ric
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Watch out for his dogs. They've got a taste for blood. thanks, whaddaya think a drive by is for anyway?

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah. Slab. If I wasn't, it'd be easy as we could just run underneath from the water heater in the garage. I'm convinced that the wall adjacent to the countertop with the burners runs all the way through the second story. If I can determine that to be the case, then we could run the line off the second floor furnace straigh down that wall. I need to take some measurements before I have the next guy come out there.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks, whaddaya think a drive by is for anyway?

I can see you taking pictures of them through your windshield saying, "What's your name, 'Love'?"

"Look, defenseless babies!"

Ric
11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah. Slab. If I wasn't, it'd be easy as we could just run underneath from the water heater in the garage. I'm convinced that the wall adjacent to the countertop with the burners runs all the way through the second story. If I can determine that to be the case, then we could run the line off the second floor furnace straigh down that wall. I need to take some measurements before I have the next guy come out there. I had a neighbor once who added gas to an upstairs fireplace after move-in and did the black pipe up the outside wall......... definitely not a clean look at all

LakePirate
11-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Some builders run a gas line in advance just in case. There may be one in the wall already.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I had a neighbor once who added gas to an upstairs fireplace after move-in and did the black pipe up the outside wall......... definitely not a clean look at all

Not really an option we're considering. We've got a gas fireplace downstairs, which is where they were going to run the line from (if outside). We didn't like the sound of that too much (or the price).

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Some builders run a gas line in advance just in case. There may be one in the wall already.

The last guy looked under the burners in the countertop and couldn't find one. I was surprised as our house seems to have a lot of options run in the walls already (at least on the tech end of things ... the P.O. worked for Dell). Of course, wireless networking came along and the rest is kind of useless now. I may give it another look though.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
[quote=Workin' 4 Toys] SIZE matters. QUOTE]

you said a kitchen full
And you can keep your darn Granite, that's for rich folk....8p

Ric
11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Not really an option we're considering. We've got a gas fireplace downstairs, which is where they were going to run the line from (if outside). We didn't like the sound of that too much (or the price). I'm assuming you will spend more to go inside the walls but looking at your place when I was casing, I would not like to see you do the piping outside the walls at all

M-Funf
11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I've learned that it's usually quicker to cut a big enough access hole & repair when you're done.

I learned this lesson the hard way...after spending hours and hours trying to snake pull wires, romex, or anything else I could find through the smallest holes I could cut in the wall :o

I stopped short of tying the end of the romex to the tail of a ferret and letting the little guy go in the wall...

Post pictures of the remodel! I always get tied up in getting the work done and forget to take pictures. Fortunately, the wife is always around to snap some shots while I'm working.

milkmania
11-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Fortunately, the wife is always around to snap some shots while I'm working.

otherwise known as "evidence"8p

M-Funf
11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
otherwise known as "evidence"8p

:uglyhamme: yeah, I guess you're right on that...

milkmania
11-09-2006, 02:09 PM

can I cover border patrol?:rant:

http://forums.consumptionjunction.com/images/smilie/AR15firing.gifhttp://forum.consumptionjunction.com/images/smilies/mexican.gif

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm assuming you will spend more to go inside the walls but looking at your place when I was casing, I would not like to see you do the piping outside the walls at all

That was not the impression I was given. Drop a line off a furnace in the attic and drop it down the wall was what everyone spent their time trying to do.

I may hop up in the attic, and have my wife shine a very bright light through the hole that's already cut inside the cabinate underneath the electric burners (for the power). Now that I know which wall it is (it goes through both stories of the hosue), I'm going to goIf I can see anything looking down from the attic. If so, I'll tie a small weight on a string and see if I can drop it down to her. If I get that far, I'll call the plumber back out to take a look. If not, I'll start looking at countertops again just to feel depressed.

Ric
11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
The reason I say going down thru the walls would be more expensive is thinking of how much drywall you will need to take out
I am concerned on how you can get black pipe down that wall in an existing structure anyway... OR does code allow some sort of flexible gaslines in the walls?

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Not sure if "in walls" makes a difference, but I was under the impression that flexible corrugated stainless steel tubing was all the rage these days.

There's already a hole in the dry wall under the cabinates where my burners are (for the electrical connection). If I'm right ... and that's a big if ... from the attic above the second story (where one of our furnaces is), it ought to be a straight shot down to that preexisting hole in the drywall.

Ric
11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Not sure if "in walls" makes a difference, but I was under the impression that flexible corrugated stainless steel tubing was all the rage these days.

There's already a hole in the dry wall under the cabinates where my burners are (for the electrical connection). If I'm right ... and that's a big if ... from the attic above the second story (where one of our furnaces is), it ought to be a straight shot down to that preexisting hole in the drywall. I wanna hear more about this because I think you are knocking out some drywall whether it's a straight shot down or not

bcampbe7
11-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Doug, are you saying that you are planning to go from the 1st floor through the second floor and into the attic?

If so, you will have to get through the division b/w the 1st and 2nd floors. :confused:

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I haven't looked at any of it and you may all be right. Then again, there are other furnaces as well which might be better positioned. I just don't think the last guy that came out looked very hard. Needless to say, I will be scurrying around various attics before I have someone else come back out to look.

bcampbe7
11-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I haven't looked at any of it and you may all be right. Then again, there are other furnaces as well which might be better positioned. I just don't think the last guy that came out looked very hard. Needless to say, I will be scurrying around various attics before I have someone else come back out to look.

Seems like a lot of work just to install that new Viking range you were talking about: :D

Dougs new gas range (http://theappliancepro.stores.yahoo.net/vikvgic48gas.html)

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Ha! Don't even need it. I'm fine with my electric oven that's built into the wall. I just want 4 sealed spider burners.

LakePirate
11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Ha! Don't even need it. I'm fine with my electric oven that's built into the wall. I just want 4 sealed spider burners.

Yeah well my wife would try and convience you that you do....at least that is what she does to me.

Lucky for us we have a Viking store in Atlanta. Don't think she hasn't been to the cooking schools. Did it help? Who knows I don't eat any of the stuff that they cook at those schools anyway.

Is it possible to run it down with the venta hood?

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 05:22 PM
As for the vent hood, that was going to be what I was looking for as my "tell" in the walls if I can see that far. You really have to see these attics to realize what a maze it is. I remain hopeful.

The vikings, wolfs and thermadores are great, but I just want to get rid of the electric cooktop. A $300 set of burners will suit me.

TMCNo1
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM

If you would you be willing to work undercover with a all female staff.:rolleyes:

Ric
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Threadjack number nine....

I just bought a place that has the stovetop along an outside wall yet the &*^^%^$ builder put one of those range hood microwaves with a blower that blows it all back into the kitchen :rant:
anybody here ever taken out theirrange hood and fluted the exhaust through an outside brick wall? What am I looking at as a DIY project?

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 05:34 PM
A blower? Just reverse it. Are you sure it's not an exhaust?

sanjuan23
11-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Threadjack number nine....

I just bought a place that has the stovetop along an outside wall yet the &*^^%^$ builder put one of those range hood microwaves with a blower that blows it all back into the kitchen :rant:
anybody here ever taken out theirrange hood and fluted the exhaust through an outside brick wall? What am I looking at as a DIY project?

Take down the microwave, I assume you have a set of cabinets above the micro. Simply put... Make a hole in the exterior brick between the studs, metal pipe (flexible duct) attached to a one way vent on the exterior of the brick duct the vent to the microwave after you have turned the exhaust fan around at the top of the microwave and whalaaa. Simple but I would reccomend a brick guy standing by.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Simple but I would reccomend a brick guy standing by.

The telltale signal.

Farmer Ted
11-09-2006, 06:44 PM
That was not the impression I was given. Drop a line off a furnace in the attic and drop it down the wall was what everyone spent their time trying to do.

I may hop up in the attic, and have my wife shine a very bright light through the hole that's already cut inside the cabinate underneath the electric burners (for the power). Now that I know which wall it is (it goes through both stories of the hosue), I'm going to goIf I can see anything looking down from the attic. If so, I'll tie a small weight on a string and see if I can drop it down to her. If I get that far, I'll call the plumber back out to take a look. If not, I'll start looking at countertops again just to feel depressed.

did you consider using that new "flexible" tubing for your gas line?
PEX or PVC or some new kind of line. My dad's house in Des Moines was built with both the gas line and water lines like this.

Might be easier to route through the attic.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I think the CSSG has a PVC outer layer. May be the same thing. I think this is what they used when I replaced my water heater a few years ago and they brought everything up to code.

Chief
11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
If you would you be willing to work undercover with a all female staff.:rolleyes:
Man that is a tuff assignment, I will have to consult with myself on that one. Yep I will do it.

André
11-09-2006, 07:42 PM
I think the CSST has a PVC outer layer. May be the same thing. I think this is what they used when I replaced my water heater a few years ago and they brought everything up to code.
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Plumbing/corrugated-stainless-steel-tubing
This is what is use for the last years in homes both in US and Canada...
I installed some,very easy to work with...

BriEOD
11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Too funny! BriEOD, you will never regret money spent in the kitchen. Just keep somewhat in balance with the rest of the house. I know in my first house granite and linoleum just don't go together!
Excellent point Leroy. Fortunately, our bathrooms have beautiful custom cherry cabinets with granite counters. The only thing the previous owners did not update was the kitchen.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Plumbing/corrugated-stainless-steel-tubing
This is what is use for the last years in homes both in US and Canada...
I installed some,very easy to work with...

Yep, that's the stuff I was thinking of. I'm just hoping there's a clean shot from the source to the kitchen.

BriEOD
11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Quit jack'n my thread Eastie, otherwise I'm gonna cut you man!;)

Leroy
11-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Brieod; I would get at least 3 quotes just to make sure you get several options and take the best of all and give to the person you liked the best. Did I jack this thread our discussion doesn't seem to be on topic.....8p

Excellent point Leroy. Fortunately, our bathrooms have beautiful custom cherry cabinets with granite counters. The only thing the previous owners did not update was the kitchen.

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Brieod; I would get at least 3 quotes just to make sure you get several options and take the best of all and give to the person you liked the best. Did I jack this thread our discussion doesn't seem to be on topic.....8p
Leroy, we are on the same page. We actually had 4 companies come out and look. They each presented us a design and we selected.

Yes, it seems we are the only ones on topic. I'd like to thank "Rachel" again for jacking my thread. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Do you have room in there for a 48" or 60" inch fridge/freezer? Never seems to be enough room in the standard sizes....

Assuming you only have one fridge in the bar and one in the garage that is..... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Quit jack'n my thread Eastie, otherwise I'm gonna cut you man!;)

You must've just gotten the quote for the granite! 8p

Sorry. I've got kitchen on the brain.

BriEOD
11-10-2006, 05:08 PM
You must've just gotten the quote for the granite! 8p

Sorry. I've got kitchen on the brain.
Yeah, it's not cheap.

Ric
11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
A blower? Just reverse it. Are you sure it's not an exhaust? ya, an exhaust blower... it's crazy and I cannot believe it's code...
a gas stove and oven and the exhaust fan merely sucks the smoke into those metallic screens above the range and blows them out the top of the microwave through these plenums that send the air back into the kitchen... the mechanical inspector warned me about it but I didnt think it was a deal breaker..
I hate the kithchen getting hot and I really don't want lingering food smells either since I am Vietnamese

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Finally finished! I had mentioned to some of you we were renovating our kitchen. Well, it is finally complete! I did a fair amount of it myself to include electrical/lighting in the ceiling/top of cabinets, the tile back splash, trim, tear out, dry wall, mud/tape and paint. We had a kitchen designer put a plan together for us and install the cabinets/counters. We are very pleased with the result. The link will take you to some before and after photos.

Happy New Year

http://s45.photobucket.com:80/albums/f94/BriEOD/

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Finally finished! I had mentioned to some of you we were renovating our kitchen. Well, it is finally complete! I did a fair amount of it myself to include electrical/lighting in the ceiling/top of cabinets, the tile back splash, trim, tear out, dry wall, mud/tape and paint. We had a kitchen designer put a plan together for us and install the cabinets/counters. We are very pleased with the result. The link will take you to some before and after photos.

Happy New Year

Looks great BriEOD. Nice cabnetry. Buy that granite from Rod? j/k:D

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Steve. It is all custom from the Omega cabinet shop. The drawers have easy assist. You cannot slam them. You barely give them a nudge and the last 1-2 inches they are self closing. It is a pretty neat feature. No, I did not get it from Rod. We got the granite from International Granite Inc out of Miami. They have a satellite warehouse here in Tampa (Ybor City).

JimN
12-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Brian- do yo have a GFCI breaker for the recepticals near the sink?

Why do you have so many cans of PAM in the cabinet, or would you rather not talk about it?

LakePirate
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
It's for his teak.

Looks good Brian.

BriEOD
Yes, the GFCI is in the "garage" (the roll up door in the above counter cabinet opposite the fridge). They are all three on the same circuit.

As for the Pam, we rarley use oil (canola/vegetable) when we cook. Instead we just use Pam. So, we have original, butter flavor and olive oil, depending on what you are cooking.

rodltg2
looks good brieod, nice choice on the giallo napoleano. thats a good color for resale down the road.

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Thank you Rod.

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:25 PM
As for the Pam, we rarley use oil (canola/vegetable) when we cook. Instead we just use Pam. So, we have original, butter flavor and olive oil, depending on what you are cooking.

That's his story but his wife has a strange smirk on her face like she knows something we don't...

Right Bri?

Butter flavor for cooking..... what do I look like?

Wait don't answer that....

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Seriously...

Rarely we use some virgin olive oil. But to brown anything, hash browns, veggies, etc, in a pan we just use some pam.

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Seriously...

Rarely we use some virgin olive oil. But to brown anything, hash browns, veggies, etc, in a pan we just use some pam.

I know I know - Just playin......

Back to work....

east tx skier
12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, like Brian, we decided to redo the countertops a month ago and it has since turned into a minor remodel. Found out last week that we could have granite for less than the cost of the engineered stone. We went with the Santa Cecilia. Off to meet with the installers for measurements in a few minutes.

Ric
12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
what about the friggin gas line, we never got an update??

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Here ya go.......;)

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, like Brian, we decided to redo the countertops a month ago and it has since turned into a minor remodel. Found out last week that we could have granite for less than the cost of the engineered stone. We went with the Santa Cecilia. Off to meet with the installers for measurements in a few minutes.
Good luck with that Doug. Fortunately you have some counters. We got all of the cabinets in and then had plywood for counter tops for about 2 weeks while they prepared the granite.

rodltg2
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

i could have told you that eastie!

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
BTW, why do you and Ric keep jack'n my thread? Go get your own dany thread before I call Beau and have him put both you and Rachel "shut your yap" off the site!! ;)

Ric
12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I know you and I recently discussed the fact that granite-installed, didn't have as high a price as I anticipated...

jimmer2880
12-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Looks very nice. Love the lighting. I did the can-light thing myself on a dimmer switch. Very functional and "soft"

Don't be bustin on the plywood counter-tops. When I re-did my kitchen, I refused to order the counter-top until the cabinets were installed because we completely re-did the kitchen. Glad I did to, the dumb @ss that told us which cabinets we needed couldn't add very well & the counter top ended up needing to be ~10 inches longer than before.

Anyway - we used laminated particle board (typically used for cheap closet shelves) as counter-top space for ~4 weeks.

east tx skier
12-28-2006, 03:34 PM
what about the friggin gas line, we never got an update??

I gave up and got a 36" ceramic/glass cooktop. Thought about induction for a split second, but decided, for the cost, I could've done gas. The new one is nice looking and didn't cost an arm and a leg. If I must have gas power, i.e., for beer, I'll use the Turkey Fryer burner in the back yard.

Oh, Ric, check your messages. It seems we both have a regenerative range hood. No exhaust vent on mine either. Who knew?

east tx skier
12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
i could have told you that eastie!

I remember the PMs we exchanged on it. Things run a bit more in NorCal is all I can surmise. Either that, or the color we guessed on when ballparking the price was one of the pricier ones. I know Santa Cecilia is in the lower price range. Fortunately, it was the one we (me and the wife) both knew would be perfect for our kitchen. Rare that it happens that way for us. I did take your advice and have a local shop with 30 years in the biz do it for me. Thank you for the excellent advice there.

east tx skier
12-28-2006, 03:39 PM
BTW, why do you and Ric keep jack'n my thread? Go get your own dany thread before I call Beau and have him put both you and Rachel "shut your yap" off the site!! ;)

How are we jackin' your thread? I'm right on topic (for once). Plus, Beau is powerless between 8 - 5. :)

Buwahahahahaha!

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
How are we jackin' your thread? I'm right on topic (for once). Plus, Beau is powerless between 8 - 5. :)

Buwahahahahaha!
OK Twinkle-Toes!

Ric
12-28-2006, 05:08 PM
BTW, why do you and Ric keep jack'n my thread? Go get your own dany thread before I call Beau and have him put both you and Rachel "shut your yap" off the site!! ;) WAAAH ya big crybaby8p

That is some great looking kitchen work. I was just talking over the freestanding stove issue and wanted to go with built-ins, but I like your pics so much I will stay with free standing

BriEOD
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
It turned out very well. We were really pleased. The bathrooms had previously been updated to include custom cabinets, granite and the most kick @$$ shower I've ever seen (tore out the tub and shower and put in a huge glass block, tiled shower with body jets like 8x6 ft). It was time to do the kitchen. We got LG appliances from Home Depot. We waited until Veteran's Day and bought them at a 10% discount for being a vet and then an additional 10% for getting a Depot credit card, as well as a $250 rebate from LG for buying 4 appliances. MarkP keeps trying to talk me into gas, but the boss likes the electric flat top. We love the kitchen though. That plant shelf really isolated the kitchen from the family room.

Happy New Year Ric.

Mag_Red
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
It turned out very well. We were really pleased. The bathrooms had previously been updated to include custom cabinets, granite and the most kick @$$ shower I've ever seen (tore out the tub and shower and put in a huge glass block, tiled shower with body jets like 8x6 ft). It was time to do the kitchen. We got LG appliances from Home Depot. We waited until Veteran's Day and bought them at a 10% discount for being a vet and then an additional 10% for getting a Depot credit card, as well as a $250 rebate from LG for buying 4 appliances. MarkP keeps trying to talk me into gas, but the boss likes the electric flat top. We love the kitchen though. That plant shelf really isolated the kitchen from the family room.

Happy New Year Ric.Did you post pics here or did I miss them???

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:32 AM
I completly gutted and remodeled my kitchen basicly by myself. It took me about 3 years only because I didn't want to get a loan from the bank and did it as I could afford it.
I broke it into 4 sections includeing plumbing,electrical,,drywalling(yuck!) I did the cabinets in 3 groups and have about 2 weekends worth of trim work to do. I'll post a few pics.
If you have the time and knowhow, well I saved probably 10k plus loan interest doing it this way.

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:36 AM
OOps, The previous pic was the last section of cabinets and dishwasher installed waiting for countertop to come in!
This one is finished cealing and paneling started.

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:39 AM
this is the first section I installed about 3 years ago but just put up paneling

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Nice work!!!

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I had to include one pic of the old stuff that got removed! This is after wall cabinets and suspended celing were removed. I found an old newspaper clipping on top of one of the cabinets dated 1978, so I guess it was time for an update!

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Nice work!!!

Thanks, but it it is alot of work, time and patience!

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 12:50 AM
We were lucky to have had the previous owner redo the cabinates before we moved in. Our remodel was just the countertops, the backsplash, and swap out some fixtures and appliances.

What surface are the countertops? Corian? Cultured Marble? Soapstone? They look very nice.

twieder
12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
They are actually Formica! I had to spcial order it, but we liked the marble look with out the price.I actually looked into colored concrete but we would have had about 10k just in that!

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Well it looks great. I was surprised at the cost when all was said and done. Even with new appliances (cooktop, sink, range hood, fixtures, and dishwasher), the project (countertops and backsplash) is extremely reasonable.

The place that is doing our countertops does a lot of cultured marble and has a product called trustone that can make cultured marble look like just about anything. It is extremely inexpensive. We have some in our bathroom that has done really well (I assume it is original with the house making it about 17 years old). The trustone with the travertine finish is really nice looking.

twieder
12-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks I do appreciate the compliments.Makes the work worth the effort!I put laminate flooring down but those pics are still on the camera and I don't know what the wife did with it!:mad:
I don't have an exact $ on appliances, but fridge,dish washer, disposal,double oven,3 cell cook top,microwave/hood and the greatest invention those Instant hot water spouts! (love it to death and gets used daily!)I'd guess about 5-6k. The cooktop alone was almost 1600! (Jen Air 3 cell gas) I like to grill year round and I can with this!

André
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Nice work twieder!
I certainly understand your position of doing everything yourself without a loan.I'm doing the same thing here.Have done living room,2 bedrooms,complete bathroom and now have to start the kitchen,ouch!!!
Here for a decent kitchen cabinets ,appliances and workmanship, it's at least 20 k for nothing fancy.Just can't afford to put that much more money on my morgage...
Congrats to you for your work and to your wife for her patience!:)

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Did you post pics here or did I miss them???

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 09:57 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2321.jpg

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 09:58 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2312.jpg

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2195.jpg

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2315.jpg

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2186.jpg

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 10:01 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/BriEOD/IMG_2316.jpg

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks Steve.

twieder
12-29-2006, 10:54 AM
See, I love it when we can prove we can do other things other than type,whine, complain,etc.

Very nice Maristar210! I love the solid surface countertops, just alittle pricey for our budget.

This was the second section we did but I just took the pic today so I got the flooring done. I put stainless steel sheeting on the wall and on the side of the oven cabinet for easy cleanup after using the grill.

twieder
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Last one till I get trim work done.

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Holy Cow, Brian! I completely missed the shot where you guys gutted the kitchen! All the more impressive.

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks Steve.

Anytime Bri ;)

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 12:14 PM
See, I love it when we can prove we can do other things other than type,whine, complain,etc.

Very nice Maristar210! I love the solid surface countertops, just alittle pricey for our budget.

This was the second section we did but I just took the pic today so I got the flooring done. I put stainless steel sheeting on the wall and on the side of the oven cabinet for easy cleanup after using the grill.

Tweider - That's BriEOD's set up not mine. I was posting them. Sorry for the confusion.

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Holy Cow, Brian! I completely missed the shot where you guys gutted the kitchen! All the more impressive.
Yeah, it was a rough few days. Carla took the kids to my mom's and I worked 2 days from about 7 am to 2 am. I had about a 40 hr window to get the entire tear out done, to include removing that hideous plant shelf, replace the dry wall (mud, sand, texturize, prime, paint). It was a pain in the neck.

Monte
12-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, it was a rough few days. Carla took the kids to my mom's and I worked 2 days from about 7 am to 2 am. I had about a 40 hr window to get the entire tear out done, to include removing that hideous plant shelf, replace the dry wall (mud, sand, texturize, prime, paint). It was a pain in the neck.

Been there. Done that.. Looks good:cool:

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks....I'm glad it is done.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-29-2006, 01:13 PM
WAAAH ya big crybaby8p

That is some great looking kitchen work. I was just talking over the freestanding stove issue and wanted to go with built-ins, but I like your pics so much I will stay with free standing
Ric.....It looks like we need a "KITCHEN PICS" thread.......;)

Ric
12-29-2006, 01:42 PM
And a Happy New Year to you Bri

Ric
12-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it was a rough few days. Carla took the kids to my mom's and I worked 2 days from about 7 am to 2 am. I had about a 40 hr window to get the entire tear out done, to include removing that hideous plant shelf, replace the dry wall (mud, sand, texturize, prime, paint). It was a pain in the neck. so you did the demo and patchwork and then the contractors came in to do the cabinets? or did you build/install them too?

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty handy and have done some big jobs (electrical, closing in some rooms, etc). However, I'd be really nervous to hang custom cabinets and the crown/trim. It's not like baseboard where if you make a bad cut you go to Home Depot and get another piece for $10. My wife went to three different kitchen renovation companies and they each came out and gave us CAD-like plans. Then she picked the one she liked. I did ALL of the tear out. The biggest hurdle was the hanging plant shelf. It went completely around the entire perimeter of the room and had a leg that went up into the ceiling. That had to be completely removed (three sides were plywood and the bottom drywall with electrical inside) and the wall/ceiling patched. I started Monday and the cabinet guys came on a Wednesday. They put in all of the cabinets and we had a granite guy put the counters in and a plumber put in our sink. I moved some electrical (we shifted our stove/mic. a few feet), installed the appliances (stove/mic/fridge/dishwasher), a new light fixture, put in the tile backsplash, re-did the base boards. I saved us about $5K doing what I did, but had to take a week of vacation.

Ric
12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
our new place's cabinets are white so if I ever go with granite in there, I will do what you did! I can't imagine our builder upgrade white cabinets with granite tops :o

Monte
12-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Hope you didn't throw your old cabinets away, I used mine in the garage.

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 02:59 PM

I'd love to have some old cabinets for my garage :) Anyone tossing any near me?

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Here's part of what I did over the summer. Completely gutted & hung new drywall, created soffit, installed can lights, new floor, etc.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/IMG_0184.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/IMG_0182.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/IMG_0174.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/IMG_0173.jpg

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Now for the almost finished pic's

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/112406004.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/112406003.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/112406002.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/112406001.jpg

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 03:23 PM
1 more
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/112406005.jpg

André
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Nice work jimmer!:)
Did you built the cabinets?

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Of course not, I did the same thing. :cool:

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Nice work jimmer!:)
Did you built the cabinets?

I didn't build them, I bought them pre-finished, but un-assembled. Off of the internet. They only took me about 20 hours to assemble. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Saved a fortune by doing it that way. We were able to step up to a 100% no particle board anywhere cabinet for the same price as the bottom grade at Lowes/Depot.

André
12-29-2006, 08:27 PM
I didn't build them, I bought them pre-finished, but un-assembled. Off of the internet. They only took me about 20 hours to assemble. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Saved a fortune by doing it that way. We were able to step up to a 100% no particle board anywhere cabinet for the same price as the bottom grade at Lowes/Depot.
Did you saw them elsewhere before buying from the Internet?Sounds scary buying cabinets at distance...Good upgrade from the particle board.I'm anti-particle board.
Let's ban particle board!:D

JimN
12-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Who did you buy them from? I assume they have a full range of wood species. They look good.

I don't care about hardware, I bought mine from Lee Valley and they're the stainless wire pulls in the photo (B). They're the 128mm size and are $29.90 each at Home Depot.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/handlesframespulls/01w6405s2c.jpg

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Who did you buy them from? I assume they have a full range of wood species. They look good.

I don't care about hardware, I bought mine from Lee Valley and they're the stainless wire pulls in the photo (B). They're the 128mm size and are $29.90 each at Home Depot.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/handlesframespulls/01w6405s2c.jpg

The cabinets came from www.maplecraftusa.com (http://www.maplecraftusa.com) yes, bought them sight un-seen. The Wife picked out everything, all I did was measure and write the check. But, she did a good job. And, YES, it was tough trusting them with $4,000 worth of cabinets without seeing or hearing from anyone about their quality. Thank goodness they are what they say they are. We did have a couple problems - only one of which was their fault (wrong species wood for a 3" filler strip). They were always AWESOME to work with.

The pulls came from lowes simply because I was afraid of buying them un-seen (go figure). I had scowered the Rockler catalogue & others, but was really scared of ordering something & getting something else.

BriEOD
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice work Jimmer. Yeah, I bet that was scary writing a check.

JimN
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Jimmer- if you want to see other people's impression of Lee Valley, go to www.taunton.com and click on Fine Woodworking, then 'community' and do a search for Lee Valley in a forum called Knots or Breaktime. They are way more customer service oriented than I had expected. They were fast, they are exactly what I wanted and in most cases, if the price goes down, they mail the difference to you after you have bought from them. Kinda strange but very cool.

jimmer2880
12-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Jimmer- if you want to see other people's impression of Lee Valley, go to www.taunton.com (http://www.taunton.com) and click on Fine Woodworking, then 'community' and do a search for Lee Valley in a forum called Knots or Breaktime. They are way more customer service oriented than I had expected. They were fast, they are exactly what I wanted and in most cases, if the price goes down, they mail the difference to you after you have bought from them. Kinda strange but very cool.

Very cooll. I'll have to keep them in mind. We have 2 more projects where we'll need a cabinet or 3.

east tx skier
01-13-2007, 12:01 AM
We got the countertops installed today. They look darker in the pictures than they are. All that's left is a tile backsplash.

I couldn't dig up any older pictures, but so far, it's new dishwasher, range hood, cooktop, sink, fixtures, countertop, backsplash.

The countertop is Santa Cecelia (http://www.archsurf.com/images/Granite/Thumbnails/Granite_Santa_Cecelia_Dark.jpg) granite. Here are some before and after (the before is really about midway through, so other than the sink and counters, little has changed between the two).

Leroy
01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Looks nice Doug! Did you find a way to vent outside?

east tx skier
01-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that window opens.

Oh, you mean with the range hood. Nah. Too much trouble. Plus, did I mention I have a window I can open? ;)

Leroy
01-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I think the vast majority do not vent outside. If you are cooking where you need to vent outside you need help with your cooking right? ;)

east tx skier
01-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Basically, if I were going to go to the trouble of running a vent through the attic, I'd have paid to have gas piped in, too. Just too much trouble in the end.

Hoosier Bob
01-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Sorry guys but who needs a kitchen with a Microwave, a hot babe and a fridge in the bedroom? You are gonna have to drag me out!;)

Leroy
01-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Seems like everyone else is posting pictures of their kitchens on here Bob!

PendO
01-13-2007, 02:03 AM
We got the countertops installed today. They look darker in the pictures than they are. All that's left is a tile backsplash.

I couldn't dig up any older pictures, but so far, it's new dishwasher, range hood, cooktop, sink, fixtures, countertop, backsplash.

The countertop is Santa Cecelia (http://www.archsurf.com/images/Granite/Thumbnails/Granite_Santa_Cecelia_Dark.jpg) granite. Here are some before and after (the before is really about midway through, so other than the sink and counters, little has changed between the two).

looks real nice doug, changing out sink/fixture looks great as well.

BriEOD
01-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Nice Doug.

Are those pickled oak cabinets?

east tx skier
01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice Doug.

Are those pickled oak cabinets?

You got me. Closest we could find at Lowe's as color goes was some sort of maple. We'll probably switch out the pulls with something in a bronze so they don't look so pinkish. I think the P.O. redid the cabinates, the floors, and replaced the oven/microwave before we moved in. They all seemed newer than everything else there.

P.S. You should've seen the wall paper that was in there. Looked like bad 3-D mall art. Not a good combination with a few drinks.

BriEOD
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty sure they are pickled oak. How old is the house? That was really popular in the early 90s.

Ric
01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
the daily double .

Ric
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
looks great doug

leroy, talking about those vents, I had always thought that if you had a gas stove, big brother required there to be outside ventilation... apparantly not so, or at least the PO here flew under the radar. I love a good weekend breakfast but I hate the smell of bacon grease 5minutes after breakfast

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 01:09 PM
looks great doug

leroy, talking about those vents, I had always thought that if you had a gas stove, big brother required there to be outside ventilation... apparantly not so, or at least the PO here flew under the radar. I love a good weekend breakfast but I hate the smell of bacon grease 5minutes after breakfast

Not a very difficult project if its attic space above. We have a 4 fan vent-a-hood, clean it one every couple months. Its amazing how much gunk gets in there from cooking. The only thing I would change is to have installed roof mounted fans (much quieter).

Ric
01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Not a very difficult project if its attic space above. We have a 4 fan vent-a-hood, clean it one every couple months. Its amazing how much gunk gets in there from cooking. The only thing I would change is to have installed roof mounted fans (much quieter). my stove is actually against an outside wall so I think I could easily route the vent out the wall. NOw you have me thinking I should do some type of blower unit that mounts outside the wall so it won't be noisy in the kitchen. Might look like hooey on the outside wall though:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
my stove is actually against an outside wall so I think I could easily route the vent out the wall. NOw you have me thinking I should do some type of blower unit that mounts outside the wall so it won't be noisy in the kitchen. Might look like hooey on the outside wall though:cool:

Put it up 0n the roof, mine sits on on outside wall to. Both vents sit about 4' from the roofs edge. I think it would draw better on the roof. Only drawback on the roof mounted fans is $$$$ little pricey.

(drives my neighbors nuts when I'm doing steaks and risotto to). :D

Ric
01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Put it up 0n the roof, mine sits on on outside wall to. Both vents sit about 4' from the roofs edge. I think it would draw better on the roof. Only drawback on the roof mounted fans is $$$$ little pricey.

(drives my neighbors nuts when I'm doing steaks and risotto to). :D I will look into it

with 10ft ceilings and cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling and the home being 2 story, that sounds like a monster job just to keep the smell out of the kitchen

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I will look into it

with 10ft ceilings and cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling and the home being 2 story, that sounds like a monster job just to keep the smell out of the kitchen

Sorry, in a 1 story here (whole different animal there).

twieder
01-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I ducted mine down thru the floor and out the sill plate. I've got a downdraft cook top, but I also have a microwave with exhaust fan and ducted it down too. Only runs about 20 feet to outside though but does the job great!

X2M
03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
We are in the middle of our kitchen renovation. So far we have taken out all of the old white tile counter top and replaced it with both solid surface granite and granite tile and put in tumbled travertine for the back splash. New appliances in stainless steel are on order and should be in next week. Next on the project list will be to resurface the cabinets.

Here are a couple of before and after pics of the work done so far. I am very proud to say that all the work has been done by my husband and myself.

:)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2007, 04:57 PM
We are in the middle of our kitchen renovation. So far we have taken out all of the old white tile counter top and replaced it with both solid surface granite and granite tile and put in tumbled travertine for the back splash. New appliances in stainless steel are on order and should be in next week. Next on the project list will be to resurface the cabinets.

Here are a couple of before and after pics of the work done so far. I am very proud to say that all the work has been done by my husband and myself.

Looks real nice, Nice work. And it's nice to see the safety glasses in a demolition pic, although they should be on your face!!!

Now that you are so good with the pics, how about a pic of the Garage for Ric....:rolleyes:

trickskier
03-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Looks Great, nice job!.......My wife wants her kitchen remodeled.......New Cabinets, appliances........$$$$$

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks great, X2momma. Wish we had room for an island in ours. Here's our before actually, we'd just gotten the cooktop, dishwasher, and range hood at this point), during, and, after shots.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-10.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0004.jpg

Ric
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow both kitchens looking good folks

RexDog1
03-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow nice work, you both, Builder Bob and Builder Bobbet :cool: 8p

Way to go!!!!!!!:D

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow nice work, you both, Builder Bob and Builder Bobbet :cool: 8p

Way to go!!!!!!!:D

I don't want to give the impression that I did all that myself. All I did was install the cooktop and rangehood and write checks for the rest.

BriEOD
03-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Looks great, X2momma. Wish we had room for an island in ours. Here's our before actually, we'd just gotten the cooktop, dishwasher, and range hood at this point), during, and, after shots.

Doug,

Two questions:

1) Did you do the tile back-splash yourself?

2) How do you like that coffee maker?

X2M
03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

Your kitchen looks good Eastie. I like all the stainless applainces.
I can hardly wait for mine to get here...I'm almost like a kid at Christmas. :D

Sorry W4T, dont think there will be any pics of my garage posted. It is embarrassingly disorganized. :o

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Doug,

Two questions:

1) Did you do the tile back-splash yourself?

2) How do you like that coffee maker?

1) No. Paid someone. That was 12x12" floor tile cut into quarters as the 6x6" was no longer available.

2) Which one? I guess it doesn't matter. The Cuisinart (on the right) is the workhorse. That's not the one that grinds, too. In the left corner is the Gaggia espresso machine and grinder. Also does a great job.

RexDog1
03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Sorry W4T, dont think there will be any pics of my garage posted. It is embarrassingly disorganized. :o

Why no photos of her Garage????????????? she must have a Nautique banner in it???????:wavey: .....lol.lol:D

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

We never planned to go all stainless. But once you get those countertops in there, everthing else starts to look old and the budget starts getting tight. Wish we could've updated the fridge, too. But I had to put the brakes on there. The one we have does a fine job. I suppose at some point, it will be relagated to the garage to make way for something newer. But fine for now.

X2M
03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
We never planned to go all stainless. But once you get those countertops in there, everthing else starts to look old and the budget starts getting tight. Wish we could've updated the fridge, too. But I had to put the brakes on there. The one we have does a fine job. I suppose at some point, it will be relagated to the garage to make way for something newer. But fine for now.

I got to upgrade my fridge a couple of years ago. The appliances in this house are all original from the builder (11 years old). It was time to update.

Because we are doing all the work ourselves we have saved a ton of money. So that means we can afford to upgrade all of it at once.

I am waiting for a gas on glass cooktop in black, stainless hood, stainless microwave/oven combo and a new dishwasher in stainless. :banana:

RexDog1
03-16-2007, 06:45 PM

HOLD ON……. 2 coffee makers????????

JohnnyB
03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Eastie, x2momma

Nice work on both....I like the tile backsplashes!

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I got to upgrade my fridge a couple of years ago. The appliances in this house are all original from the builder (11 years old). It was time to update.

Because we are doing all the work ourselves we have saved a ton of money. So that means we can afford to upgrade all of it at once.

I am waiting for a gas on glass cooktop in black, stainless hood, stainless microwave/oven combo and a new dishwasher in stainless. :banana:

Wish I could've done gas, but running a line was almost half my budget. Fortunately, our previous owners had upgraded the cabinets to something we could live with as well as a nice digital microwave oven combo. Saved us som money there. We tend to do a lot ourselves (we upgraded the master bath at the same time all DIY), but there is a lot to be appreciated for watching a movie and drinking a beer and having the tile done before the credits role.

As for the dualing coffee makers. Ones for the daily drip. The other's for the espresso.

suedv
03-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Very nice kitchens Eastie and x2Momma. It's worth all the dust and mess you have to live through during the project when it comes out nice like that.

jimmer2880
03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Looks great everyone. Glad to see people keeping the economy going :D