PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Companies...

M-Funf
11-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm having HUGE problems with my re-roof, and was hoping to get a little help (or maybe just support) from y'all...

I hired this company because they are supposed to be one of the best roofing companies around. Their quote was higher than most of the others, but they were very reassuring about getting it done and getting it done right.

I have NEVER dealt with less professional people in all my life! Since signing the contract, they have not called me once...not ONCE! The changed the start date 5 times before they finally committed to start it this week. (even though the entire month of October, the month they TOLD me they would do the work, was without a drop of rain)

So Monday, they did the garage. It's a separate structure, and easy to do in one day. The roofers said they'd see me Tuesday.

Then, they didn't show up the second day...no show...no call...nothing. I call them, and they said it might rain, so they'll come tomorrow (Wednesday). There were about 10 drops of rain last night, but this morning it's clear and no rain in sight for the rest of the week.

Again, no show. I called and the guy said "it's raining, we'll come tomorrow". Of course, I go into "sailor talk" mode and read this guy the riot act. Needless to say, there's not a cloud in the sky, and it's almost 70 degrees...

Now, he's saying they "might" come tomorrow, but since they've delayed, work is piling up and they may have to got to start another job :confused:

I've been spending about half of each day trying to manage the roofing company, who doesn't seem to give a crap about this job.

Has anybody here had a similar experience with roofers and has some ideas for me???

Oh, the actual workers (the guys on the roof) are really great! Very courteous, cleaned things up well, and did a nice job on the garage.

:( :mad: :o

bcampbe7
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I would pay them for the garage and tell them to not come back. Find another roofer.

justinlkgb
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
That sucks, is there anyway to void the contract..ie fine print. Maybe contact the Better Business Bureau. Talk to an attorney? I am glad its not me.:D

M-Funf
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm going to read through the fine print tonight.

If they pull their heads out and finish the job this week, great. If not...I'm hoping there's a way out...

The wife's not gonna like it :o

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Have you paid yet? If not, then there's ALWAYS a way out. Fire them and pay for only the work completed.

M-Funf
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Have you paid yet? If not, then there's ALWAYS a way out. Fire them and pay for only the work completed.

No, I've not paid anything. I need to look at the contract to see if they quoted the garage separately...which I don't think they did. They may try to overcharge me for the garage work since it was WAY easier than the house will be. It wouldn't be fair on a simple percentage of total cost by square foot basis...

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry to say, taking into account all of your comments, it sounds like one of those contractors that has always been a mom & pop shop, and recently turned the responsibilities over to one of the kids......IMO....

M-Funf
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry to say, taking into account all of your comments, it sounds like one of those contractors that has always been a mom & pop shop, and recently turned the responsibilities over to one of the kids......IMO....

The owner did take over the business from his father, but that was almost 20 years ago, and they have been one of the top roofing companies in the area since.

I know what you mean about the Mom & Pop shop, though. My wife works for a home builder that started by building single homes, then started doing whole developments...they sort of grew too big for their britches, and now they are paying the price...especially with the housing market like it is today...

Update on my roof: They actually showed up today. 8 workers. They arrived at 8:00AM, and when I left at 8:45, they had about 1/3 of the roof torn off down to the rafters...we'll see how it goes.

M-Funf
11-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, They have spent 7 days now working on the roof. Average of 5 workers each day. They said it should be done today or tomorrow (as long as the weather holds...:o

On the positive side, it looks great!

88 PS190
11-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Doesn't matter how long it takes them if you have a contract for price ;-)

And lots of times you get what you pay for with roofs, could be he had way to many jobs lined up over each other.

My father's friend does roofing, top notch stuff, even fixed issues that he found unrelated to the actual job.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, They have spent 7 days now working on the roof. Average of 5 workers each day. They said it should be done today or tomorrow (as long as the weather holds...:o

On the positive side, it looks great!

Wow 7 days you must live in a (LLLLarge) house. Did my roof with 8 men day/half 44 squares and decking. Anyway it looks great and that what matters right.

M-Funf
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Doesn't matter how long it takes them if you have a contract for price ;-)

You got that right! He expected 4 workers, 5 days...he's now at 5 workers, 7 days...I don't think he's going to make as much profit as he though. I know it's not my problem, but I do feel for the guy...

And lots of times you get what you pay for with roofs, could be he had way to many jobs lined up over each other.

They did, and now with the weather turning, the scheduler gets screamed at nearly every day by 2 or 50 customers.

Wow 7 days you must live in a (LLLLarge) house. Did my roof with 8 men day/half 44 squares and decking. Anyway it looks great and that what matters right.

Not really all that big. It's only 1,800 square feet, two stories, but it's over 100 years old, and it's WAAAAAYYYY up there...

They also had to deal with old wooden gutters that had rotted and needed to be removed, as well as tearing off all the original redwood shingles (took it down to the rafters) to add sheathing. I'll be sure to get some pictures of how it looks when it's done (please let that be today)

From the back of the house. This is a view of the basement (single bottom window) which has an 8' ceiling, and the kitchen above on the first floor. You can see the second floor and roof above that.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid193/p63a78b07df60b84906ddab6a0ba85840/f1856731.jpg

From the front:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p171d0e42d82727d24ca9ea685971c2b7/ebf7b5fa.jpg

Another from the front:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p969e8bebe9ae216bec6386fce7d9e9ed/ebf7b604.jpg

oldschool84
11-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Very nice place, but not fun to roof. I deal with roofers every day and it is same old, same old with most of those guys they walk a different walk than most of us. I hope your house turns out well:rant:

M-Funf
11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Very nice place, but not fun to roof. I deal with roofers every day and it is same old, same old with most of those guys they walk a different walk than most of us. I hope your house turns out well:rant:

I cringe when I think about those roofers walking around on my roof...looks like a bunch of circus entertainers.

My wife asked me to put up Christmas lights last year. I put them on the bottom edge of the roof on the front, but my 30' extension ladder wasn't long enough for me to reach the round dormer or the taller dormer on the right...she want's those done, we're going to have to get some special equipment:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
You got that right! He expected 4 workers, 5 days...he's now at 5 workers, 7 days...I don't think he's going to make as much profit as he though. I know it's not my problem, but I do feel for the guy...

They did, and now with the weather turning, the scheduler gets screamed at nearly every day by 2 or 50 customers.

Not really all that big. It's only 1,800 square feet, two stories, but it's over 100 years old, and it's WAAAAAYYYY up there...

They also had to deal with old wooden gutters that had rotted and needed to be removed, as well as tearing off all the original redwood shingles (took it down to the rafters) to add sheathing. I'll be sure to get some pictures of how it looks when it's done (please let that be today)

From the back of the house. This is a view of the basement (single bottom window) which has an 8' ceiling, and the kitchen above on the first floor. You can see the second floor and roof above that.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid193/p63a78b07df60b84906ddab6a0ba85840/f1856731.jpg

From the front:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p171d0e42d82727d24ca9ea685971c2b7/ebf7b5fa.jpg

Another from the front:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p969e8bebe9ae216bec6386fce7d9e9ed/ebf7b604.jpg

Wow very nice place. Not the same job as my place at ALL. I have to get on roofs some, that one makes me sweat just lookin at it.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I cringe when I think about those roofers walking around on my roof...looks like a bunch of circus entertainers.

My wife asked me to put up Christmas lights last year. I put them on the bottom edge of the roof on the front, but my 30' extension ladder wasn't long enough for me to reach the round dormer or the taller dormer on the right...she want's those done, we're going to have to get some special equipment:cool:

How well are you insured.

mbeach
11-20-2006, 09:11 PM
m-funf -- might have to wait until after hunting season. roofers are a very independent lot.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I saw this thread, and I thought of the "Jerky Boys" prank phone call to the roofing company. :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

sanjuan23
11-21-2006, 10:24 AM
When I was building homes the friggin' roofers were always the most unreliable contractor I delt with. I would fire them repeatedly and then of course their manager would get with our area manager over drinks etc. Then the same dam crew is out on the next house. Schedule them for the morning and they would show up around 5 in the afternoon. :mad: :mad: Sometimes two to three days later and it screwed up everything in my schedule!!!

M-Funf
11-21-2006, 11:28 AM
How well are you insured.

The roofing company is very well insured, and so are we...they have been very careful.

I looked this morning before leaving for work, and it seems that they probably need half of today to finish. We still need to discuss some damage that was done to my custom built wrought iron fence, but once we sort that out, I should be good for the next 30-40 years (WAAAAY beyond my lifetime :o )

suedv
11-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I used to run a nonprofit housing organization. I did a lot of work writing specs, getting bids on project, managing projects and working with the contractors for housing rehab and new builds.

I always had them have proof of insurance sent to us from their insurance company with my organization listed as an additional insured. For payments I also made sure to get progress lien waivers signed when we made progress payments and I would get and unconditional waiver of liens signed when we made the final payment. I would suggest getting an unconditional waiver and release upon final payment... especially if you are coming to some agreement about changed payment due to some damage they did. I always got things like that in writing and documented damage with photos.

I worked with some really great builders that did things as they should and I had some less than wonderful experiences with others. I learned to just document with everyone and I didn't have issues.

BTW we used to do various workshops for the neighborhood residents. One that we offered every so often was on hiring and working with contractors. The most common problems they had were builders not keeping to schedules, unfinished or poor quality work, and disputes over work (nothing in writing) and dispute over payments (agian they hadn't gotten anything in writing).

TX.X-30 fan
11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=M-Funf]The roofing company is very well insured, and so are we...they have been very careful.

I looked this morning before leaving for work, and it seems that they probably need half of today to finish. We still need to discuss some damage that was done to my custom built wrought iron fence, but once we sort that out, I should be good for the next 30-40 years (WAAAAY beyond my lifetime :o )[/Q

Sorry, that was a poor attempt at a joke. ( lots of insurance on the hubby then send him to put xmas lights on the top of the castle ).:D

SkiDog
11-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Damnit man! You didn't tell us that the house had a 15/12 roof pitch!!!!!!! That sucker is STEEEEEEEP! I'd hate to know what you got in that remove & replace.

M-Funf
11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Damnit man! You didn't tell us that the house had a 15/12 roof pitch!!!!!!! That sucker is STEEEEEEEP!

I think it's a bit steeper than the pictures make it look. :o

I should measure it just for giggles...

The wife says I'm hangin' lights this weekend so I can check it while I'm up on the ladder. :eek3:

M-Funf
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
They finally finished my new roof :o

They've got some things to finish up before they are completely done, but I think they did a pretty good job...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/pb1effac80e57fd3d68b79e993be7617b/ebbc02a3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/pa67dbf11367c584b1dec0540a8ad4614/ebbc0292.jpg

Next....Gutters :rolleyes:

Maristar210
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
looks good

I know one thing......

today is trash day at your house:D

M-Funf
12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
looks good

I know one thing......

today is trash day at your house:D

Yeah, I went across the street to take the pictures, and the wife started pulling the cans out:( I thought I had asked her to move the Jeep...evidently there was some mis-communication there...

Maristar210
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I went across the street to take the pictures, and the wife started pulling the cans out:( I thought I had asked her to move the Jeep...evidently there was some mis-communication there...

just joking ..... looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

RexDog1
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Looks good….. :D With the flag out and all…..:)

Wife= mis-communication, in my house

M-Funf
02-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Quick final update on my roof. The roofing company paid for the damage they did to my fence, I finally got the gutters finished, and got the weathervane put up. I put the weathervane up myself, and let me tell you, being up on top of that roof is pretty scary. Going up was easy...coming back down was a different story. Here's a few pics (not on garbage day 8p ) of the finished job...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p40507159e23b5bbade7fa75e008bbe8f/ea94cc9f.jpg

Gutter detail (5" half round galvi with 3" diam. downspouts)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p08e9a0389b956b9943e34a0a09d41104/ea94cc95.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p408157f8640ac220b7f9d6905cf05e1b/ea94cc89.jpg

Now we move on to paint (spring '08), new electrical service panel (next month), upstairs bathroom remodel (summer '07) and landscaping part of the yard...jeez it never ends...when will I ever have time to work on my boat?