PDA

View Full Version : Laptop GPS Locator and Software

PendO
11-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Just got this for my dad's laptop ... he is not the most computer savvy guy, but it works very well for $99 at Costco

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001

it has a GPS locator that plugs into the USB and will do tracing/mapping as well as speed/lat/long/elevation

*his is the 2006 software

Leroy
11-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Looks neat if I understand it, you plug in the USB unit and then navigate via your PC? THen if you want certain features you may need wireless internet access on the road?

For the price looks great!

bigmac
11-08-2006, 12:38 AM
If I'm driving long distance in my car, I usually just hook up my laptop to my GPS V, but I do have a DeLorme Earthmate that I plug into the laptop and slap on an airplane window. I'm one of those guys that's always curious about various features we're flying over and I've always found the information interesting. It has prompted an argument or two with flight attendants as to whether or not such a thing is OK, but those have always ended up settled in my favor, so far.

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10043&minisite=10020

PendO
11-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Looks neat if I understand it, you plug in the USB unit and then navigate via your PC? THen if you want certain features you may need wireless internet access on the road?

For the price looks great!

yeah, it comes with mapping software so you just load the disk onto the hard drive and you don't have to have the map disk with you (unlike in my car's nav system where you have to leave the disk in) ... it looks like the 07 software might have a few more bells and whistles ... he was out on the road today for 10hrs today to BFE and parts beyond and it worked well ... the USB reciever is about 1.5"X1.5"X.5" w/ a 18" USB cable ...

PendO
11-08-2006, 12:44 AM
If I'm driving long distance in my car, I usually just hook up my laptop to my GPS V, but I do have a DeLorme Earthmate that I plug into the laptop and slap on an airplane window. I'm one of those guys that's always curious about various features we're flying over and I've always found the information interesting. It has prompted an argument or two with flight attendants as to whether or not such a thing is OK, but those have always ended up settled in my favor, so far.

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10043&minisite=10020

mac, the plug in for the DeLorme, does it read speed to the tenth or just whole #"s?

bigmac
11-08-2006, 12:57 AM
mac, the plug in for the DeLorme, does it read speed to the tenth or just whole #"s?

I don't remember, sorry - I'll have to take a look next time I dig out the laptop.

Ryan
11-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Streets&Trips is some fun software. Just don't rely on it when in Hackensack ;) .

I like MapPoint - MS' upgraded version that runs on the same base. It's great to load massive excel files and plot relationships between multiple points of business/interest. Like the ability to identify stores with high birth rate populations, who prefer using coupons, live near high birthing hospitals, and represent potential cannibalization between same-banner stores on Similac within 10 min drive time radii.

I sure wish I could load the GPS driver on my laptop...but co. restricitons won't allow.:rant: