PDA

View Full Version : changing oil?

blackbeauty02
11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
What oil and filter do I use for a 92 prostar 205 and can I pick the stuff up at a local Autozone or O'Reilly's? Or does it have to be marine stuff? Also, I don't have a "Hayne's Manual" or anything so what is the easiest way to change it...is there a plug like a car and just drain it out like a car or do I need to use a pump? Thanks guys.

BriEOD
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Wow, that is a deep question (seriously). You will get conflicting answers. However, truth be told, oil is oil. Yes, you can pick up some 15W 40 and a PH8A Fram Filter and be all set. Penzoil makes a marine grade oil you can get at Wal-Mart. As for draining, on the port side of the motor at the bottom is your drain plug. Hopefully, their is a drain tube with a brass fitting on the end. Run that out the bottom of the boat through the drain hole and remove the cap and the cap in the valve cover where you put oil in and voila. Good luck.

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
remove the cap and the cap in the valve cover where you put oil in and voila. Good luck.

It's usually about 15 minutes into the drain that I remember to remove the cap. :(

I like the Motorcraft FL-1A filter. The Pennzoil 15W40 Marine oil is usually in the boat section of WalMart as opposed to all the oil in the Automotive section.

Rich_G
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
In some smaller markets, like mine, it is really hard to find 15W-40 motor oil. You might find it branded as Heavy Duty oil for diesel engines. It's the same stuff and is OK to use.

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Lots of folks on here use the Rotella as well.

Rich, you and I look to be in the same smaller market. Wally world here has the Pennzoil marine 15/40 FWIW.

Footin
11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Mobil1 15W-50, in the grand scope of boat ownership it does not really cost that much more for the extra protection and piece of mind.

BriEOD
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
You say toe-mato, I say toe-motto.

Jeff Lyman
11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
For what it's worth I have had a few high performance motors built thru the years for boats ( to many actually ). My builders always said straight 50 weight, they say it's better for high revers but a little tougher on warm up.I remember them saying when was the last time you drove your car down the highway for 15 miles at 5 grand ! THESE ARE CAR ENGINES.