PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to winterize

richardsoncd
11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
So I am changing the oil, impellar, etc. this weekend, and stabling the fuel, but I don't really want to winterize because I can use the boat for winter booze cruising on a lake near the house (constant water level). The only problem is I don't have a garage, just a car port. It rarely gets that cold here in Georgia. Anyone have any ideas?

loeweb
11-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I've heard of people putting a light bulb under the motor box to keep the block warm just to get by. I suppose if you wanted, this would work as well.

richardsoncd
11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I was thinking something like that....I have heard it has to get down below 30 for about 3 days to effect the block....it maybe got down that low once last year.

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Leave the impeller in and plan to change it in the Spring instead. Drain the block and manifolds, spin the water out of the pump, and drive the boat (on the trailer) up and down hills for about 10 minutes. Won't take more than a few minutes to put the plugs back in and you'll be ready for the lake.

dsoby
11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
You could use a small space heater and pray that the power doesn't go out.. I have a friend in your position that just drains the engine after each use.

M-Funf
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't winterize at all...my boat is stored in a carport of sorts...

Like you, we rarely freeze. We might see a couple of days that start out near 30, but will go up to 50 before noon.

I don't believe that's enough time to lower the temperature in the engine box enough to be a problem.

I've done this for 5 seasons with absolutely no problems.

sanjuan23
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Okay so my neighbor and I have the same debate. He just simply runs the water out after each use. I am considering simply pulling the plugs running the water out and tucking her under the cover in the garage. Of course here in N. Texas if we have a really good cold snap coming the news is going to let us know about it for at least a week in advance.

trickskier
11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Leave the impeller in and plan to change it in the Spring instead. Drain the block and manifolds, spin the water out of the pump, and drive the boat (on the trailer) up and down hills for about 10 minutes. Won't take more than a few minutes to put the plugs back in and you'll be ready for the lake.

I agree, this is the best advise. You should only have to worry in hard freeze scenario's. I have a couple of friends that keep their boats on lifts at the lake and don't even drain the block. They haven't had any problems, but I would not recommend doing it......You might want to make a check list to make sure all the plugs are in tight before you launch. Hope you get to enjoy some warm days on the H2o in GA.

erkoehler
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I'd drain the block and hold on the impellor for now. Follow East TX advice :)

rhsprostar
11-07-2006, 04:11 PM
As long as you drain the block and mainfolds you should be ok. It takes more than 'just around freezing' for an extended time to do some damage.

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Okay so my neighbor and I have the same debate. He just simply runs the water out after each use. I am considering simply pulling the plugs running the water out and tucking her under the cover in the garage. Of course here in N. Texas if we have a really good cold snap coming the news is going to let us know about it for at least a week in advance.

It's essentially all I do and have done for the last 3 years (except I fog it and do all the annual maintenance). But as far as preventing freezing goes, I just drain it, pull the hoses at the low point, spin the pump, drive it around, and put her away.

sanjuan23
11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
"Spin the Pump" = ????? in idiot boat owner terms. :(

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Once you have the hoses pulled off (forgot to add "pull the hoses at their low points), pull the kill switch and turn the motor over for a few seconds. Water will shoot out of the pump body. I'd bet that the pump body would freeze much easier than the block.

sanjuan23
11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Muchas GrassyAss! That der is your Espanol lesson for your upcoming Travels;)

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks. Now I just need to translate that to Mayan.

sanjuan23
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Too Many words in the Mayan Language....

edwinfuqua
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
So I am changing the oil, impeller, etc. this weekend, and stabling the fuel, but I don't really want to winterize because I can use the boat for winter booze cruising on a lake near the house (constant water level). The only problem is I don't have a garage, just a car port. It rarely gets that cold here in Georgia. Anyone have any ideas?

Of course you have your boat backed up in the carport. Think about this. Drain the block and the headers. Use 'safe' antifreeze:cool: and turn the engine over and suck up just enough to wet the impeller and get into the engine circulating pump. Pour a little in the bilge and run that pump until no fresh water is left. Cover your stuff up. Keep your battery charged. That's it. The antifreeze will lubricate your impeller too. You don't need stabilizer if you are storing for less than 90 days but it's not a bad idea, might help your carb or fuel system. Keep it full of fuel. I have another hose that I use. I take the fresh water intake hose off of the tranie cooler because it's easier, put the other hose on and stick it in a 5 gal bucket. You got to start it but soon as you hit 11 or 1200 RPM's shut it off! Mine will suck 5 gallons of water with the water hose on in the bucket for backup in about 20 seconds. The object here is to get the fresh water out and lubricate the impeller, you already drained all the water out that might freeze and in Georgia - rarely do we have cold enough WX to freeze an engine but hoses can be damaged if it gets below 32 for days. How do you protect your outside water faucets? I just cover 'em up with tin-foil and some straw, etc. If it gets to the 20's (even 27 F) overnight you might leave a battery tender on the battery and put the transformer under the hood, keep it out of the wind, keep it close to the house.

This is exactly what I should have done - what a waste. I learn something every-time I think about or use my boat. Sometimes it costs more than others.

Good Luck, Edwin Fuqua, Athens, GA

TMCNo1
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I was thinking something like that....I have heard it has to get down below 30 for about 3 days to effect the block....it maybe got down that low once last year.

It only takes once, to cost you some $$$$$$$!

Harvey
11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Once you have the hoses pulled off (forgot to add "pull the hoses at their low points), pull the kill switch and turn the motor over for a few seconds. Water will shoot out of the pump body. I'd bet that the pump body would freeze much easier than the block.

I can tell you from experience that the pump will freeze pretty easy. I didn't bump it over last year when we had that two day freeze in north Texas. The pump froze up and we went boarding the day after the freeze ended and when I tried to run the boat the belt wouldn't turn the pump (the most horrible noise you ever heard). Oddly enough once the pump thawed out it was fine. Just enough water was in the bottom of the pump and it locked it up. This year I bumped the motor over just to be safe.

Leroy
11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
You can get magnetic mount motor heaters that are not likely to burn out like a light bulb.

Auto stores have them.

X-45
11-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm in Tennesse and use the Light bulb method with a clear rubber tube out of the engine compartment. A quick glance at night is all i need to see if it is on. I might forget to take out the garbage but I want forget the boat.:twocents:

TMCNo1
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Now, do you not want to winterize, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13168

richardsoncd
12-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I didn't want to winterize because I wanted to keep running the boat, but I have drained the water, sucked up some antifreeze, fogged, and stabalized. The S&S is set for a long winters nap.

Robert Averyt
12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I refuse! Iwill not winterize yet. Last night I just dropped the lift a little and set the boat in the water to help keep the temp of the boat up. Our water is warmer than the air. I hope to be skiing tomorrow.
Anyone in the central Texas area looking for a pull send me a message and lets do some December skiing.

JKTX21
12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Live on the lake in College Station?! I know you don't live on Lake Bryan! I'll ride with ya if I ever get out that way to visit college buddies.

TMCNo1
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
For those owners south of Atlanta who don't think the need to winterize and keep their boats outside, read this post, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=274411&postcount=4

18 degress here in Central NC for the next 2 nights, with highs between 32 and 38 degrees. Significant snow forecast within 40 miles of us this weekend and flurries for us????????????????????????????????

Chief
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Mine is in the garage, but filled with anti-freeze anyway.

Chief
12-17-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm glad trickster don't winterize, good time on the water today! Wetsuit a good thing! :D