PDA

View Full Version : Too much Vroom-vroom at startup

east tx skier
12-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Well, I went to run my boat to see how the new manifold was going to perform. Unfortunately, I didn't get off the trailer. When I cranked, the motor reved up close to 3000 rpms. I immediately killed the engine. I think they plugged the perfect pass in crossways or something. It seems like it's engaging the throttle when I turn the key on. I didn't pay very close attention before. It's at SWCC to be looked at. I don't expect it to be a big deal, but anyone have a sneak preview for me of what I can expect?

BriEOD
12-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow, that is frustrating. But, like you said it is probably something simple.

JimN
12-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Next time you look at it, make sure the throttle plate closes the way it should, and check for any place that looks like air could get into the intake without being controlled by the throttle. It could be that the new manifold is higher and the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. Remove it from the carb and see if the idle is normal. If it isn't normal and the throttle plate is where it should be, there's a vacuum leak somewhere and I would start looking at the base of the carb.

MarkP
12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Keeping a sense of humor through it all..:cool: I love it, Vroom Vroom!!:banana:

André
12-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Isn't what you were hoping for?
Bling Bling in exchange of more Vroom Vroom? :uglyhamme

Did SWCC did the install?
I would have think that whoever did the job would at least strart it after finishing...

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 11:40 AM
SWCC did not do the install, but they get to fix it. I had a local auto mechanic do it for me. They are very good engine people, but at this point, I want people who are very familiar with all things marine getting it shipshape. I'm not planning to deal with this problem for a second next season.

André
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Well well.I see that you already have change your signature HP?
Shouldn't you get your boat in "Running order" before you can estimate that HP increase?
Isn't that 4160 less cfm's then your previous carb?
No way i'm gonna let you get close to that 300 hp without a fight...
Brian ,Ruling please...
Just kidding here :D

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but notice it says "est." short for estimate.

4160 has the same I believe (600 cfm). Since the carb switch, I've gotten more speed at lower revs.

Since the intake switch, I've gotten much higher revs at low speed :D. 3000 RPM at zero mph.

André
12-20-2004, 12:30 PM
you should have tried to engage reverse...

Thrall
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm w/ Jim, Doug. Most likely throttle out of adjustment. Did your mech start it after the manifold swap?

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, we started it. It did that, but we unplugged and replugged the PP and things seemed fine.

As long as I'm not missing any skiing, I'm content letting SWCC get everything going. If it turns out to not be related to the PP, I'll be mentioning it to my other mechanic.

BriEOD
12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Well well.I see that you already have change your signature HP?
Shouldn't you get your boat in "Running order" before you can estimate that HP increase?
Isn't that 4160 less cfm's then your previous carb?
No way i'm gonna let you get close to that 300 hp without a fight...
Brian ,Ruling please...
Just kidding here :D

Andre you're still the King Dude! But, you have to figure out how to get the "frickin Laser" mounted on the front of the 94' to melt the ice! ;)

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey, Brian, I think I've got 10 hp on Andre without the intake. Of course, he'll be half way across the lake while I'm still warming up on the ramp.

east tx skier
12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Answer: There's a gap in the throttle cable in the linkage to the perfect pass.

MarkP
12-23-2004, 11:04 PM
So thats an easy fix for SWCC??

BriEOD
12-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Sounds like an easy fix for Doug.

east tx skier
12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Easy fix for SWCC. They don't reopen until Jan 3, but my baby is snug as a bug in a rug in their storage facility until then. My father in law's is up there, too, for a new tachometer.

MarkP
12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Doug

Did you guys warm up enough to have a few sets after the tweak??

You know, just to make sure.. :D ..

east tx skier
12-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Yes and no. It was going to hit 60 the Saturday after I had the mod finished. But the vroom-vroom problem came on when I was on the ramp (we'd actually noticed it at the mechanics, but thought we'd fixed it). At that point, I winched it back on and headed for SWCC. I'll run it in January for sure.

The earliest I could potentially ski is the last weekend in January. I gave my brother in law a bunch of home video of all of us skiing this summer and he's hopefully sufficiently pumped up to bring his boat to Lake LBJ when we get together for a belated Christmas celebration there with my wife's extended family.

east tx skier
01-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, SWCC closed the gap in the throttle cable and have me up and running again. $40. Whew. Unfortunately, it has gone from 70 to 50 in the last hour. Supposed to hit 31 tonight, so I might have to wait a bit to give a report on my new intake.

MarkP
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
That’s good news Doug.:toast: . Not the weather, the 40 bucks thing.. Ah, go for it anyway. :headbang:

east tx skier
01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, we should be getting 70 by Sunday. This winter has been like a roller coaster.