PDA

View Full Version : 2005 X7 Trailer Breaks gone bad!

mrcrowson
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I went to the local MC dealer to get the X7 winterized. I was pulling it into the garage and the mechanic noticed lots of break dust on one of the wheels. He then touched the rim and went OUCH! that is hot. He got to looking at my breaks and said that you have no break pads left. He checked the other side and there was plenty pads left however the oil from the hub was leaking onto them so that side was not working. GREAT!!:eek: How can this happen I asked him, he was not sure. I have only taken one long trip with this trailer and that was one way to Indiana from Florida. Most of the towing I did back in Florida was to a lake that was about 5 minutes from my house. Could the single trip from Fla. to Indy mess up the breaks that much? The dealer is going to call MC this morning and find out if they will warranty it or not. I hope so!! WILL SEE?????
Any info would greatly be appreciated.

erkoehler
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Keep us informed :)

LakePirate
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
This is not the first time, nor the last that we have heard about brake failure in some fashion.

I tow with a trailer not equipped with brakes. Haven't had any problems stopping. Is it really necessary to have trailer brakes on the smaller boat trailers (197, X-2, 209, 210)? Seems to me it is just another headache. If I was towing the Midwest Militia X-Star or a 280 I can see breaks, but anything else they seem to be excessive. Unless of course you are trying to tow with a Honda Civic or something.

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
This is not the first time, nor the last that we have heard about brake failure in some fashion.

I tow with a trailer not equipped with brakes. Haven't had any problems stopping. Is it really necessary to have trailer brakes on the smaller boat trailers (197, X-2, 209, 210)? Seems to me it is just another headache. If I was towing the Midwest Militia X-Star or a 280 I can see breaks, but anything else they seem to be excessive. Unless of course you are trying to tow with a Honda Civic or something.

I wouldn't tow any boat/trailer combo over 3,500lbs without trailer brakes unless I were only going a very short distance at slow speeds. Your stopping distances will increase dramatically without brakes and its just way too dangerous.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
A 2005 trailer with brake issues........:eek: I hope it doesn't have the same 2005 calipers that were the replacements on the 2003/04 trailers...:eek3:

Please keep us informed...........

bigmac
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't tow any boat/trailer combo over 3,500lbs without trailer brakes unless I were only going a very short distance at slow speeds. Your stopping distances will increase dramatically without brakes and its just way too dangerous.

In situation where the braking system is well-designed and reliable, such as most electric brake systems, I would agree. In the case of the surge braking systems found on MasterCraft trailers, I am suspicious that they are more dangerous than no braking system at all.

I would contend that increased stopping distance is less dangerous than potential wheel failure, potential highway bearing failure, asymmetrical braking, fires from overheating, unexpected brake failure, etc etc etc. It may very well be safer to deal with the known issue of increased stopping distance rather than the potential safety roullette we all deal with every time we take hitch up our MasterCraft trailers and take them on the road.

Brn85ss
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM

In the big CA anything over 1500# is required to have brakes with an exception for boats which is 3000# My ss with a full tank of fuel and gear plus the trailer is right at 3000#.By the way most states are 3000# limits for required brakes.