PDA

View Full Version : Mega Cab 2500 vs 3500

PendO
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Anyone here looked at the Mega Cabs recently ..... allegedly the only difference between the two chassis is different leaf springs in the 3500 (I believe it has one more leaf per side) ... other than that, there appears to be $1200 price difference simmilarly equipped and slightly different ground clearance ... TIA

Man, the 2nd row seating is very spacious, otherwise it would probably be the Duramax w/ the Allison tranny (this truck is not for me, but it may lead to a newer work truck via the hand me down system).

Carbon Dreams
11-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I have a 3500 MegaCab and my business partner has a 2500 MegaCab. Other than the overload leafs, they are identical. Well, except I have the cab marker lights.

Get the truck before the next gen Cummins. The current 5.9L CTD is a great engine with huge tuning potential.

PendO
11-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a 3500 MegaCab and my business partner has a 2500 MegaCab. Other than the overload leafs, they are identical. Well, except I have the cab marker lights.

Get the truck before the next gen Cummins. The current 5.9L CTD is a great engine with huge tuning potential.

I have a 99 with the 5.9 (185K miles) and my dad has an 03 w/ the 5.9 (120K miles) running an Edge Juice w/ Attitude in mode 3 ... and his truck is a rocket, like comparing a v6 mustang to a Cobra ... needless to say, I wouldn't mind the 03' w/ 4 doors ... vs. the backwards doors in my 99

Carbon - was your experience the same, about 1K difference for the 3500?

Carbon Dreams
11-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Carbon - was your experience the same, about 1K difference for the 3500?

I got a better deal on the 3500 at the time. It seemed that the 3500's were more available when I got mine. Take a look over at Dave Smith motors over in Kellogg and talk to Doc Murdoch if he is still there. We got the 2500 there last December. The best dealer I have ever worked with period.

Carbon Dreams
11-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Before the MegaCab I also had an '03 QuadCab. Definately spend the extra on the MegaCab. It is so worth it! The commercials are right, you and your friends will want to ride in the back...

PendO
11-06-2006, 11:55 PM
yeah, Dave Smith has the best inventory ... I think the price difference I was seeing has to deal with the 3500 priced out as a dually, so when you take it down to a single rear wheel it is only a few hundred bucks for the extra leaf ... they have 9 3500's in the Laramie and only one 2500 in the Laramie ... I'd get it local and order it, but my dad decided today that he wanted one yesterday:) and they don't have one that fits the bill in town and I want to expense this year.

Did you get the Navigation or DVD system?

Carbon Dreams
11-07-2006, 01:11 AM
yeah, Dave Smith has the best inventory ... I think the price difference I was seeing has to deal with the 3500 priced out as a dually, so when you take it down to a single rear wheel it is only a few hundred bucks for the extra leaf ... they have 9 3500's in the Laramie and only one 2500 in the Laramie ... I'd get it local and order it, but my dad decided today that he wanted one yesterday:) and they don't have one that fits the bill in town and I want to expense this year.

Did you get the Navigation or DVD system?

Yep, the guy that ordered it checked every box in the option column. He backed out and I got the truck. The only thing it is missing is the split bench front seats. I miss the extra seat. The buckets are very comfy though. The kids love the DVD and my wife hates the Nav. Go figure...

VTJC
11-07-2006, 10:17 AM
GVW's are different as well I believe. Jamie

Datdude
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I bought a 2005 Ram 3500 (single rear wheel) Quad Cab 4x4 Short box with the Cummins and it was an awesome truck. I just traded that truck in on a 2006 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab short box 4x4 with the Duramax LBZ/Allison trans. The reason I did not get the Mega Cab was the $4800 price difference from the Chevy. Looking back...I may have made a mistake. I really liked the Ram Quad Cab but wanted a bigger back seat. My problem with the Chevy is the soft ride when towing a trailer. The truck bounces like a Buick land yacht going down the highway which leads to feelings of carsickness:mad: . I am getting used to it, but it is still unacceptable in my opinion. My next truck will probably be a Mega Cab......if it will fit in my garage:D. When I bought my Ram I was looking for a 2500, but they had a well equipped 3500 on the lot and the price difference was $400 so I bought it. I was told that the only difference was the ovrload springs in the back. There was no difference in ride quality that I could notice.