PDA

View Full Version : 205V bow filler sub box DIY

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-06-2006, 11:27 PM
All,
If you are interested, I've started a DIY thread for my 2nd version of a bow filler sub box. The thread can be seen... HERE (http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18366&pid=212897&st=0&#entry212897)

SteveO
11-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Wow, Your are on a mission. What was the problem with your last masterpiece? Looks like another work of art in the making

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-06-2006, 11:44 PM
No real problem with last one. I think it was built a little 'tight' after the carpet wrap and didn't allow air movement/escape for the down-firing sub. When it really hit, it almost seamed to box would jump. So, to keep busy I thought I'd try this.

Jesus_Freak
11-07-2006, 04:23 AM
Will your design fit a 94 205? Do you have a final picture? What is your selling price for 2.0?

Sodar
11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Looks Great P-hat! I can not believe how well you think EVERYTHING through!! between this and your ballast install, I am thoroughly impressed!!

Can't wait for the finished project....

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I can not believe how well you think EVERYTHING through!!

It's a 'gift' (aka madness). I'm surprised I get anything accomplished with the "If's" and "Then's" that run thru my twisted mind. :o

JF...not sure about a fit to a '94, BUT~$50 for 1 sheet of MDF, screws, glue, fiberglass and fiberglass epoxy, caulk, and some basic tools and you too can have one! It's a fun project! Give it a shot. It'd cost me more to ship it than to buy the material. It'll weigh ~50lbs. with sub.

Oh...no final picture yet. It's not completed. Probably by the end of this weekend I'll have it done.

Jesus_Freak
11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I am asking about purchasing from you because you have tuned the design, not because I cant build it. Maybe you can sell the prints? :)

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey all...nearing completion. You can see the updated thread HERE (http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18366&pid=212922&st=0&#entry212922)

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-14-2006, 10:59 PM
One more pic...

SKI*MC
11-14-2006, 11:08 PM
on a side note, how do you like that kicker? Have you ever heard a perfect Kappa? they literally are PERFECT! But really expensive!

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-14-2006, 11:44 PM
on a side note, how do you like that kicker? Have you ever heard a perfect Kappa? they literally are PERFECT! But really expensive!

The short answer to your question, no I have not heard of Kappa.

I have to admit...I'm no audiophile. I'm just 'improving' things as I move thru the boat, but the Kicker has been fine. I can't complain about it right now. I'd upgrade the other components first.

It's fun buying the essentials and DIY-ing the rest. :cool:

SKI*MC
11-15-2006, 12:24 AM
They are a serice made my Infinity. They have the Reference, Kappa and Perfect Kappa. My friend had a single 12 Kappa in a sealed box, and it sounded like he had 2 12's. They are sooo nice.

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey all,

Hooked it up tonight to test it out.

Here's the report.
From what I can recall of the previous (down-firing)box, it might have had a more powerful sound. Maybe firing down into the hull used the acoustics of the boat a little more? However, the new box has a much cleaner sound. A lot of stuff used to rattle with the down-firing box. Not so with this one.

I still think the sound is very good with this box and the cleanliness of sound and becoming hypnotized by watching the sub hit made the project worth while. Of course, the true test will be when I get the boat out of the garage to test open air acoustics.

The last thing I have to do is construct a grill. The space is just too small for a conventional grill. I ordered some smoke colored 1/4" Lexan to see if I can come up with some design.

'02xrider
11-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Nice work Paul. On a side note, Is that the original vinyl on your seats? The silver looks a bit different.

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Nice work Paul. On a side note, Is that the original vinyl on your seats? The silver looks a bit different.

Thank you.

The color scheme is the Ohio State University package! JUST kidding! :D It's the original vinyl. Maybe the flash/lighting makes it look different?

SKI*MC
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
i have a question about a sub, i am getting a Polk MOMO (Finally) But there are two different 12 inch polks. one is MM2124DVC and the other is MM2124. There is no difference in the sub wattage, size, or anything. Oh wait the MM2124DVC is $1 cheaper. Can anyone tell me what the DVC stands for?

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Maybe 'dual voice coil'?

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_dual.html

Chief
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Great vision in your creation P-hat. Maybe you should apply for a job at MC. :)

SKI*MC
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
thanks! What would you recommend. I have enough sound coming out of the speakers, i want BASS! So i should just get the MM2124 12?

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Great vision in your creation P-hat. Maybe you should apply for a job at MC.
Thank you sir. If I could get the family to relocate, TN would be the state!

On the DVC, you have to see what wattage your sub can handle and what your amp can put out. My amp is stable down to 1 ohm. It produces 500W at 1 ohm and 350W at 2 ohms. My sub is capable of 400W RMS (800W max). In order to maximize the amp wattage, I wired my sub in parallel (=1 ohm). Since my amp can put out more than 400W RMS I should not (do not) run my amp/sub full bore.

Now...I have about reached my limit on what I THINK I know and can tell you about car electronics. I'm really ignorant when it comes to electronics and such...unless it's plug-n-play! I have to rely on other sources to help me in this area!

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks! What would you recommend. I have enough sound coming out of the speakers, i want BASS! So i should just get the MM2124 12?
Oh boy...I'll help as much as I can. :o Do you have an amp? Will it be dedicated to the sub? What are it's specs?

We might have to call skeeler in here. I think he might be more knowledgeable.

cbryan70
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I have had both one and two coil subs....go with two coils much better sound...im not sure on the difference tho

east tx skier
12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
A belated "nice work" p-hat. Hadn't seen this thread yet.

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
A belated "nice work" p-hat. Hadn't seen this thread yet.
Thank you sir. I still have to build a protector for the sub. I have the Lexan...I just need to come up with a design.

I'm just doing some research on audio stuff that may help.

Check THIS (http://www.cardomain.com/shop/wooferwizard.pl?num_of_subs=1&impedance_of_subs=) link out for out for amp/sub info.

THIS (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm) link has a ton of info.

SKI*MC
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
this is the sub i got

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2124/

and i ordered a Kenwood 2 Channel 900 peak amp. The amp will be dedicated to the sib, so i am going to bridge the channels together. I ordered this one because it was the best for the price. It was 135 with bass remote and amp wiring kit. So we will see how it goes.

Harvey
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Phat, I was kind of surprised that you used staples to attach the carpet. I hope you used 1/2 inch or less staples so as to not penetrate the box completely. I am not sure about your fiberglass abilities but it might have been better to fiberglass the whole thing with a gel coat exterior and use something like gator grip in place of the carpet. I know this would be more expensive but the look would be awesome and you wouldn't have to worry about the carpet turning to crap. With it gelcoated you really only need a buffer on the sides so the fiberglass doesnt rub up against the upper hull. Gator grip would have been perfect for traction on top as well. Just a thought for 3.0.

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Phat, I was kind of surprised that you used staples to attach the carpet. I hope you used 1/2 inch or less staples so as to not penetrate the box completely. I am not sure about your fiberglass abilities but it might have been better to fiberglass the whole thing with a gel coat exterior and use something like gator grip in place of the carpet. I know this would be more expensive but the look would be awesome and you wouldn't have to worry about the carpet turning to crap. With it gelcoated you really only need a buffer on the sides so the fiberglass doesnt rub up against the upper hull. Gator grip would have been perfect for traction on top as well. Just a thought for 3.0.

Harvey,

The carpet is put down with indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive. Secondly, it's SS stapled to hold the edges nice and tight while it all set up. The staples were no where near long enough to penetrate the box. The first box I did held up last year with no problems, so I don't expect any quick degradation of this box. If/when it does...NEXT! :D

Thanks for the tip/idea for 3.0. I'm no pro when it comes to glass, so getting something nice might have been a stretch. I'm crawling right now. ;)

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
this is the sub i got

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2124/

and i ordered a Kenwood 2 Channel 900 peak amp. The amp will be dedicated to the sib, so i am going to bridge the channels together. I ordered this one because it was the best for the price. It was 135 with bass remote and amp wiring kit. So we will see how it goes.

Did you get the dual voice coil version, or single (MM2124 or MM2124DVC)? What model amp?

SKI*MC
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Did you get the dual voice coil version, or single (MM2124 or MM2124DVC)? What model amp?

I orders the MM2124. And i ordered this amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6807.html

SKI*MC
12-10-2006, 10:52 PM
oh! and my friend just gave me a 1.5 farad digital capacitor.

djhuff
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
This is what I did, a little simpler and is exactly the right volume for this sub in a sealed application.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey all!

I added a little dressing to my bow filler sub box project. Made a grill cover for it. It's kind of shabby, but it'll work for now. Tonight I also added the red LEDs. They are waterproof and flexible. They are basically really small LEDs drip molded! Pretty cool.

Anyway, I wanted to dress it up but not go over the top b/c that's not my boat's style. All that's left to do is wire it to the blank ACC1 switch.

Here's the DIY if you want to browse...

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18366&pid=213415&st=0&#entry213415

...and here is one of the latest pics. There are a couple more at the end of the DIY thread.