PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for Onstar!!!

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
On friday my wife and mother in law were in a car accident. My mother in law was driving her 2004 Cadillac CTS with my wife as the passanger when the brakes FAILED!! From both of their statements, the car would accelerate when the brake peddal was depressed! This caused the car to go THRU a pole barn strikeing a 1970 cady inside then exiting thru the side of the building. Onstar was on the phone to local authorities before the home owner even got out of his house. He was sitting in his living room restringing his guitar.
Injuries were mostly minor but could have been greatly reduced if my 135lb wifes seat belt latch wouldn't have BROKE!!!
It amazes me how well the body structure held,but a seat belt failure ....?!? Cheap parts!!Can't wait to haer from the insurance co. on this one or for that matter from GM!
I'm curious if anyone has had or heard of problems with sudden acceleration when appling brakes in a GM vehicle.

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:02 PM
seat belt latch

6ballsisall
11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! Doesn't leave one with much faith in GM's products does it!! I think we all need to buy Hondas as workin for toys would say. 8p Glad to hear no one was seriously injured.

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Front of car. Note 2 by 4 in front has actually pierced the engine block!

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Close up of 2 by 4

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Drivers side They had to use jaws of life to remove drivers door to get mom in law out!

Hoosier Bob
11-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Glad everyone is ok. I doesn't look too bad. My dad is a TV repair man and has an awesome set of tools! I think I can fix her!:o

No my father is not a TV repair man! He has his Doctorate in Law from IU and is retired from the banking industry so do not ask me to get your DLP tubes replaced!

shepherd
11-06-2006, 11:14 PM
The car accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed? I'm no automotive expert, but is that even possible? I guess with the computerized control systems on these modern cars, anything is possible.

Are brakes in these cars electronically controlled?

Glad everybody came out OK.

Farmer Ted
11-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Glad everyone is ok. I doesn't look too bad. My dad is a TV repair man and has an awesome set of tools! I think I can fix her!:o

No my father is not a TV repair man! He has his Doctorate in Law from IU and is retired from the banking industry so do not ask me to get your DLP tubes replaced!

Dude, is he going to sh1t or is he going to kill you?

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:17 PM
We got word today cars totaled!Suprise suprise You would have to see the under side to see why. Tweeked the whole unibody. Ofcourse 5 4x6s, some steel sideing, another car.... yeh it don't look that bad.

Hoosier Bob
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
First he is gonna **** then he is gonna kill me!8p Thread jack over!Dude, is he going to sh1t or is he going to kill you?

twieder
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
The car accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed? I'm no automotive expert, but is that even possible? I guess with the computerized control systems on these modern cars, anything is possible.

Thanks and yes everything is electonic controlled. No linkage to fuel system OR break system! AAAHHH modern technology!

Farmer Ted
11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
First he is gonna **** then he is gonna kill me!8p Thread jack over!

people on 'ludes shouldn't drive....

Hoosier Bob
11-06-2006, 11:21 PM
So how do I get my ludes? Duh!

Anyway sounds like a very tramatic event regardless of who is at fault. My guess is the MIL will need a bunch of care before she drives again after that one. When something like this happens it shakes you to the core and makes even the simplest decisions difficult. Driving will not be the same for her.

SteveO
11-06-2006, 11:45 PM
You guys are terrible to threadjack this near tragic event. Glad everyone was okay.

Resume threadjack
Did someone order a pizza?

dog paw
11-06-2006, 11:49 PM

First and formost I'm also glad everyone made it out OK. That car is messed up!

As far as the throttle the CTS uses the drive by wire accel system. Not being flip but you will meet Jesus before that system will react like that. They have ways of checking it I hope you can get a GM rep to look into it. "If" the floor mat was jammed back pushing the accel pedel as you hit the brake the brakes at there best would not hold that vehicle back.(asumming by the pic it's a 5.7)The seat belt uses a pretensioner charge in the bowels of the buckle that blows in a airbag deployment. That "could" be the cause of the broken plastic on the buckle

Once again, glad everyones ok. I still would not roll the dice and take that ride in a Honda...........

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident, but there is no way that car accelerated based on pressure on the brake pedal. Whoever was driving that car mistakenly pressed on the gas pedal, plain and simple. My mom was an insurance claims agent for a while and this was not an uncommon occurrence. That's what insurance is for.

Jesus_Freak
11-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Great that no one was hurt.

What happens when Onstar fails?

Tryin-again
11-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm glad they're alright......

Take care!

Maristar210
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Glad everyone's okay.

So many mother in law jokes to insert here I just can't pull the trigger since Jesus Freak just posted....;)

LakePirate
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM

Your driving a ford.

Kidding

Hope everyone makes a speedy recovery.

bigmac
11-07-2006, 11:05 AM

That does happen. If the impact takes out the battery, OnStar is offline. OnStar is a nice service, just too expensive for what you get. The only times we have ever needed it in the cars we've been driving over the last many years has been once when I locked the keys in the car, but OnStar couldn't make the cell phone connection, and once when my wife was involved in a head-on and it shattered the battery and OnStar failed.

I remember the whole issue with "sudden unintended acceleration" that almost killed Audi. That was ultimately shown to be the result of just plain stepping in the accelerator instead of the brake. Glad the MIL is OK.

milkmania
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm so glad to hear everyone was OK:)

now to the fact of the matter....
Did your mother in law ever feel the car had taken over? ie Christine;)

I mean, a 2004 Caddy went on a mission to search and destroy a 1970 Caddy:eek3:

I'd like to see the pics of the '70 caddy to compare damage:popcorn:

That is a lot of damage!, and your MIL & Wife appear to be very fortunate.

twieder
11-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm so glad to hear everyone was OK:)

now to the fact of the matter....
Did your mother in law ever feel the car had taken over? ie Christine;)

I mean, a 2004 Caddy went on a mission to search and destroy a 1970 Caddy:eek3:

I'd like to see the pics of the '70 caddy to compare damage:popcorn:

That is a lot of damage!, and your MIL & Wife appear to be very fortunate.

My father-in-law tried to get pics but the property owner wouldn't let him! Kinda thinkin law suit would be my guess and doesn't want any other pics than the ones he takes!
They hit about 1/5 of the right rear wasted the bumper,tail light and quarter pannel, but no damage to the trunk lid or tub! They wsed to build 'em to take an impact,now they crumble up.

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 11:23 AM
They wsed to build 'em to take an impact,now they crumble up.

No, they used to build em to pass the energy of the collision on to the occupants, now they build em to absorb that energy in the structure through deformation. I'd take a crumbled car over a crumbled face any time...:D

Jesus_Freak
11-07-2006, 01:58 PM
So many mother in law jokes to insert here I just can't pull the trigger since Jesus Freak just posted....;)

Watcha mean?

dog paw
11-07-2006, 02:03 PM
That does happen. If the impact takes out the battery, OnStar is offline. OnStar is a nice service, just too expensive for what you get. The only times we have ever needed it in the cars we've been driving over the last many years has been once when I locked the keys in the car, but OnStar couldn't make the cell phone connection, and once when my wife was involved in a head-on and it shattered the battery and OnStar failed.

Glad the MIL is OK.

I don't like to here that, The SDM and VCIM modules are supposed to retain power for airbag deployment and the deployment notification if the battery is destroyed.

I'm not sure of the whole story but GM is hooking up with Verison for a cell plan with there customers. Myself, I try to avoid Onstar and cell phones altogether:D

bigmac
11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't like to here that, The SDM and VCIM modules are supposed to retain power for airbag deployment and the deployment notification if the battery is destroyed.
In my wife's accident with her Tahoe, every airbag in the vehicle deployed, which likely did save her life. When the dust settled, she pushed the blue OnStar button and nothing happened. I talked to the 911 operator afterward and they never got a call from OnStar. She called me on her cellphone.

Hemey5
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I pretty sure that seatbelt mechanism is produced by the Module supplier Autoliv Asp who sells it to GM. The seatbelts are produced out in Ky.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! Doesn't leave one with much faith in GM's products does it!! I think we all need to buy Hondas as workin for toys would say. 8p Glad to hear no one was seriously injured.
"Right off the bat" huh.......... I see how it is.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks and yes everything is electonic controlled. No linkage to fuel system OR break system! AAAHHH modern technology!
It's a good thing they don't use that in boa.......ts, ...oh wait, I spoke to soon....

VTJC
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM

The guy in the house or occupants of the car like they did in the days before Onstar. Glad everybody is okay.

Ric
11-07-2006, 05:39 PM

What happens when Onstar fails? The apocalypse