PDA

View Full Version : Any tips to clear a ski lake?

milkmania
12-19-2004, 03:53 PM
I've had a guy invite me to a private ski lake...
they built it last year, but it just won't clear up:cry:

any ideas?
I've not been there yet, so I don't know how it's fed.

http://www.swtimes.com/PhotoGallery/images/Galleries/JOEL/CABO-SKI-4-SPORTS.jpg
Steve Allen carves a turn around one of the buoys on a man-made lake he and a partner built for waterskiing.
The lake is 2,000 feet long by 250 feet wide and approximately six feet deep.

east tx skier
12-19-2004, 07:03 PM
If you're talking about the water, George might know. They put something in there's to keep it nice and blue-green. Helps block some UV rays, too.

milkmania
12-19-2004, 07:07 PM
yes, I'm sorry.
I was talking about clearing the water in the lake....

I guess it could look like I was wanting to clear the lake of skiers:uglyhamme

east tx skier
12-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Until you get a more definitive answer ...

As I'm sure you've determined, a lot of that will depend on the depth of the water and what's on the bottom. If it's got a lot of silt, the answer might be to drain it and line it with some pretty good sized rocks or something else that would prevent the silt from getting stirred up. Doesn't sound like much fun.

I spend most of my time skiing in a pretty silty public lake. I've just gotten used to showering every time I'm out and washing the boat down real good.

jimmer2880
12-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Carp & mud-cats are about the best that I've been told (no first hand knowledge). Turtles are very bad as they'll drill holes through the bottom & really kick stuff up.

The stuff that was talked about was to turn a clear lake that's filled with algea blue, orange, etc.

Look at it this way - at least they don't have an algea problem! :friday:

T Scott
12-20-2004, 07:07 AM
You might want to check with Orlando Watersports Complex in Orlando. (cable ski park) I remember when they first built that lake, they were calling it lake Yoohoo because it looked like you were skiing in chocolate milk. :eek: I don't think it is as bad as it used to be, so they might have found a solution. Good luck!

G-man
12-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Get hold of a company called Monterey Chemical. We buy our dye from them. pm me if you have no luck finding a number for them and try and get one.

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Another positive spin on it. At least you don't have lilly pads.

Robert Averyt
12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Clearing up a muddy lake is rather easy. When We built Lake Louise we had the same problem. One concern is, Are you sure you want to clean it up. We got our lake maybe to clear and then we had a vegatation problem. And aquatic herbicides are very expensive.

What I did is this. I bought 6 large eighteen wheeler loads of agricultural lime stone. (Limestone that has been crushed to almost a powder form.) I took my back hoe and dumped it at the waters edge all around the lake. Then the boat wakes mixed it into the lake. The limestone particals joined with the clay particals and dropped to the bottom. I am sure there is a chemist out here that can better explain this but as I remember the clay particals are either all possitive or negitive and the lime stone is the opposite. They attract one another and fall to the bottom.

Check out our web site for lake pictures. I think you will be able to see the change in water quality. http://pages.tca.net/raveryt/

Good luck.

Robert Averyt

André
12-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I knew Robert would answered this thread .

He's the only one with experience!

Robert Averyt
12-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Andre,
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I doubt I am the only one.
When I was building my lake I had alot of other lake builders baby sit me along the way.

Robert Averyt