PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Conversion.

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 04:46 PM
After posting in the Turkey Thread, it made me think about something I've been considering for a while, and especially after BBQ'ing the turkey on Saturday.

I would like to convert my Propane BBQ to Natural Gas.

Has anybody here done this, or had it done?

Pro's? Con's? Ex-Con's? 8p

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

sanjuan23
11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Depending on the brand of your Q you should be able to pick up the conversion kit install and be on your way to not having to refill a tank anytime soon.

Sodar
11-06-2006, 04:55 PM
It is not tough, it is just a matter of getting the natural gas to the BBQ and installing the conversion kit,

Tryin-again
11-06-2006, 04:56 PM
After posting in the Turkey Thread, it made me think about something I've been considering for a while, and especially after BBQ'ing the turkey on Saturday.

I would like to convert my Propane BBQ to Natural Gas.

Has anybody here done this, or had it done?

Pro's? Con's? Ex-Con's? 8p

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It is only a different regulator with different orifice sizes(bigger).. If you have a buddy who is a plumber - lots of times the stuff you need can be bought at plumber supply places and install is not that difficult... That might be cheaper than a conversion kit from a BBQ sales place....

Edit - I if you hook up to your household NG supply you won't need any regulator - the one that regulates the house does that for you.... sorry

rodltg2
11-06-2006, 04:57 PM
mine came with the conversion adapter..

André
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
It is only a different regulator with different orifice sizes(bigger).. If you have a buddy who is a plumber - lots of times the stuff you need can be bought at plumber supply places and install is not that difficult... That might be cheaper than a conversion kit from a BBQ sales place....

Edit - I if you hook up to your household NG supply you won't need any regulator - the one that regulates the house does that for you.... sorry
Depending on the outlet pressure of your house regulator you may need or not a NG regulator for your BBQ.If your BBQ regulator is adjustable,It is possible that you may have to only change the spring in it.
Orifices can be drill to a bigger size when converting from LP to NG if you know the capacity of your BBQ.
Put pipe dope on any NPT threads that you may undo and check leaks after with soapy water.
You could also add a solenoid valve with a timer that would automatically shut off after the set time so that if you forget to turn the gas off it wouldn't run until next week end...

trickskier
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
mine came with the conversion adapter..

Did the Lambo come with a conversion kit for NATURAL gas too???

M-Funf
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I looked into the conversion kit for my BBQ (Kenmore) and it was pricey...I did find one other guy in the next town who said he can modify the valves (orofices) and supply all the necessary fittings for $40...that sounds mo-betta!:cool:

I looked online last night and found some information on how to convert with charts on orofice size, etc. It doesn't look very difficult, and now that grilling days are farther apart (maybe once a week now) I think I could do the whole thing in one week and not be "down" for long...

Thanks for the info guys!

Jorski
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
You could also add a solenoid valve with a timer that would automatically shut off after the set time so that if you forget to turn the gas off it wouldn't run until next week end...

Funny story....30 years ago, my uncle had an NG BBQ in his back yard. Left the grill on to burn off some grease one day in late fall. Anyhow, early spring, while there was still snow on the ground he goes back outside for the first time since fall, and wonders to himself, " why isn't there any snow on top of the BBQ?"

You guessed it, it was on all winter.

M-Funf
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Funny story....30 years ago, my uncle had an NG BBQ in his back yard. Left the grill on to burn off some grease one day in late fall. Anyhow, early spring, while there was still snow on the ground he goes back outside for the first time since fall, and wonders to himself, " why isn't there any snow on top of the BBQ?"

You guessed it, it was on all winter.

That's a good argument for the solenoid valve with a timer :eek:

88 PS190
11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
did he compute how much money he'd wasted?

BriEOD
11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Forget the gas, get a Big Green Egg.