PDA

View Full Version : Small leak at Exhaust Manifold to Head connection

Hoff1
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I was winterizing my boat yesterday (terrible terrible thing to do) and while I was warming up the engine at the boat ramp, I noticed a small amount of smoke/vapor coming from the starboard side. I investigated and found what appears to be a small leak where the exhaust manifold connects to the engine. I only noticed this when the throttle was revving up, at idle there wasn't much of anything. It wasn't spewing water or anything, just a little spitting almost.

It almost looked like the joint had been welded or maybe silicone was put there. Does anyone know how these things are attached. It this something to worry about? Thanks.

Here's a picture that kind of shows where it was located at (opposite side of boat though).

Hunterb
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
This is not an uncommon problem. Luckily it's an easy fix. The manifolds are held on by four bolts (you can see two of them in the picture you submitted). It's easier to take the manifolds off if you disconnect the 'elbows' first. If yours is like mine then it's a lot easier if you cut the short end of the allen wrench down so it's even shorter as it makes it a lot easier to get the allen bolts out. Once the elbow is disconnected all you have to do is remove the rubber hose, undo the four bolts and presto the manifold will fall off. Be careful , they are VERY heavy.

You may or may not find a gasket behind there. Indmar does NOT use gaskets when assembling at the factory but you can put one in if it makes you feel better. When I've had mine apart I've simply cleaned up the surfaces and used a good quality silicone as a gasket and they have never leaked. It will help to have another person to hold the manifold in place while you get the bolts started because, as stated earlier, they are very heavy. If you decide to use a gasket I would suggest you still use silicone on all surfaces or you will probably have leaks again.

You should be able to do the whole job in about an hour.

Good luck !!

Bruce

Chief
11-07-2006, 06:33 AM
This is not an uncommon problem. Luckily it's an easy fix. The manifolds are held on by four bolts (you can see two of them in the picture you submitted). It's easier to take the manifolds off if you disconnect the 'elbows' first. If yours is like mine then it's a lot easier if you cut the short end of the allen wrench down so it's even shorter as it makes it a lot easier to get the allen bolts out. Once the elbow is disconnected all you have to do is remove the rubber hose, undo the four bolts and presto the manifold will fall off. Be careful , they are VERY heavy.

You may or may not find a gasket behind there. Indmar does NOT use gaskets when assembling at the factory but you can put one in if it makes you feel better. When I've had mine apart I've simply cleaned up the surfaces and used a good quality silicone as a gasket and they have never leaked. It will help to have another person to hold the manifold in place while you get the bolts started because, as stated earlier, they are very heavy. If you decide to use a gasket I would suggest you still use silicone on all surfaces or you will probably have leaks again.

You should be able to do the whole job in about an hour.

Good luck !!

Bruce

Make sure you drain the manifolds before your disconnect the elbows! Possibility of introducing water to the engine if the manifolds are still holding water. Also make sure the surfaces are flat before re-assembly. I recommend using some type of high temp gasket sealant on new gaskets, especially if the surfaces of the elbows and manifolds are not perfectly flat. Also keep the elbows on the right manifolds. You can get them swapped during the refurb process, they will work, but they were matched at the factory.

I went through this over the summer and had some growing pains, but the second time I had to do it I learned from the first mistakes. Good luck.

Hoff1
11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I didn't think it would be too difficult, but when I first some something there, I was thinking about a cracked block. We got down to 20 degrees about a week ago. That always helps me make the decision about when it is time to winterize.