PDA

View Full Version : Plano Tx.

slink976
11-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Help....
I have an opportunity to move to plano tx. I want to buy a place on a lake (finally be able to board before work). I have no Idea what the costs are out that way. In addition to not knowing cost I don't know the good area's vs. the bad. I see a bunch of people here from the Tx. area hoping that you could help me here!!!!!

Also feel free to thrown in additional information as I know nothing :)

Archimedes
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
No offense, but I lived in Stepford, I mean Plano, for 15 months in the late 90's and couldn't wait to see that place in my rear view mirror. My wife grew up there and even she couldn't take it when we moved there. If your idea of heaven is cookie cutter houses, stockage fences, horrible traffic, heat like Mercury, and a nightlife that consists of movie theatres and chain restaurants, then you've found your place. If not, I'd pass.

We left a custom built 3,500 square foot house with a pool in an upscale neighborhood for a 1600 square foot 50 year old house here in California and have never regretted our decision for a minute. Having lived all over Texas for 16 years, I can tell you there are some really nice areas in Texas. But Plano's not one of them.

slink976
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Plano would be where I work. Anywhere around there would be fine. Want to get some lake front property. With minimal commute

sanjuan23
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Plano would be where I work. Anywhere around there would be fine. Want to get some lake front property. With minimal commute

Good Luck and bring a BIG blank Check

slink976
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
anyone have some helpful info? please!!!

Tryin-again
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
anyone have some helpful info? please!!!

I am a little familiar with up there - there are some here that know lots more than me - But I know Lake Lewisville is to the west of Plano but probably too far to commute.. but Like I say - some of these other guys know a lot more...:)

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Try Princeton Lakes (http://www.princetonlakes.com/).

sanjuan23
11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
In all seriousness here's what I do know.
Northern Dallas and Collin counties have had huge population explosions over the past couple of years. There are some nice areas around yet it takes patience to find exactly what you might be looking for. In regards to area waterfront property few and extremely far between, better chance of locating a weekend place than something that will meet your short commute requirements. There is Princeton which has a private ski lake community which would not be all that horrible of a commute. Talk to SteveO or MichaelFreeman, GMan or others that might be closer to the Northern Metroplex as I am smack dab in the middle in Arlington.

G-man
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Look around Lake Ray Hubbard in the Rockwall area. It one of the few large public lakes where docks are allowed. Princeton Lakes is a private ski lake development where slalom skiing is the primary activity. The lakes are shallow and narrow making it hard to get a good wake for boarding. Average depth during the season 5.5 feet - 6.0 feet.

slink976
11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
okay.... got a new one

anyone know a search that will allow me to look just for lake houses?

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
www.lakehouse.com

slink976
11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
is Lake Ray Hubbard a good area?

http://www.lakehouse.com/search.php?cid=847&s_res=AND

mrG
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
slink,

If you can afford to live in Plano but would like to live near a lake you should be checking out the Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake, Flower Mound areas. Like one poster said Plano is exploding with people and traffic.

Lake Grapevine is just north of the DFW airport and surounded by quiet communities that will allow you to be in the water in a matter of minutes. Lots of boat ramps to choose from but no private docks to speak of. Many of Texas' lakes are Army Corp of Engineer projects that don't allow you to build any kind of dock on your lake front lot. They'll tell you " we're in the flood control business not the recreation business" That being said, there are some lakes around that you can have a dock on but they may be a longer commute than you would like.

Harvey
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Ray hubbard is not a bad boarding lake but, as with most NTex lakes, it will be tough to get good water on a weekend. There are quite a few boarders in the Ray Hubbard area. If you are looking for more on the local wakeboarding scene try this http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com.

I use to know some boarders who lived on Princeton but I never heard any good or bad things about the wakes they could generate there. You could try to find a place in Little Elm on the east side of Lake Lewisville but I have to say that I would prefer to be on Hubbard if I have my choice. Any other questions feel free to ask, I have 26 years in the area and have been on nearly every lake in North Texas.

slink976
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Harvey, Will I be able to just drop my boat from my property or will I have to use a city ramp? And great info! I ride early mornings and will for the most part be off by 10am.

Harvey
11-06-2006, 06:40 PM
There are some lakes that will let you poor a private ramp (Eagle Mtn, Possum Kingdom, Granbury come to mind) but I wouldn't bet on you being able to do that. I can't imagine the red tape. It will really depend on the particular property. I can't recall if there are private ramps on hubbard. I am sure there are properties with them.

We ride the same, sunrise sets.

michael freeman
11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
You will not be able to drop your boat from your property (more then likely) on Lake Lewisville or Grapevine lake unless you buy one of very few 'grandfathered docks' on lake lewisville, I can't speek for the other lakes.

I live in Flower Mound which is between the above lakes. Grapevine is more family type lake, Lewisville is more of a party type lake. (Ref Sneaky Pete's sport bar w/dock). Grapevine is an old gravel pit (I believe) and has rock shores and not too many sheltered coves on windy days save the cliffs along the north shore. If you have big money you can get a nice house on fhe north Flower mound shore of the lake. Lake lewisville is huge but not that deep with sandy type shores. There are some houses with old docks on them but the docks make them very expensive ($800k+ when I asked about them.)

I don't know much about Plano other then it is more expensive to live in that area. I could probably make 10% more in Plano doing the same thing I do in Arlington (where I work), but that isn't enough to make me live with the traffic. Traffic is a pain during rush hour, but I have very little first hand knowledge.

slink976
11-06-2006, 07:20 PM
All
I really appreciate all the help and please keep it coming. I don't have the big money (800k+) for a home was hoping to be in the 200k - 400k area.

michael freeman
11-06-2006, 08:03 PM
All
I really appreciate all the help and please keep it coming. I don't have the big money (800k+) for a home was hoping to be in the 200k - 400k area.

You can buy a very nice house in Texas for $200k-400k even in Plano.

You can also buy a house on a lake lot for that price, but if you want a dock, you may have to drive a little far for a daily event.

I have very little knowledge of the north east area above Dallas. I believe there are several lakes in that area, I just don't know anything about them or the houses on them. The lakes I speak of are in the north west area from Dallas and a bit of a drive to Plano.

SteveO
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Slink, I believe there is a new subdivision in Frisco, Norht of the Colony that may have a few lake side houses on Lewisville. I did a quick search, but was coming up empty handed. I'll drop you my cell in a PM .

Harvey
11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
For a reference, I own 2K sq ft on a half acre lot and I paid less than 150K. My father bought a house on Eagle Mtn lake in a private cove 4500 sq ft for 375K. Now the house was on the Azle side (long drive to just about anywhere) and custom built. If you are looking to spend 200 to 400K you should be able to get a very nice place on the water locally. If you are picky about having a dock out back it narrows your search quite a bit. If you are willing to sacrifice that and drop it in when you need to you have a large number of options.

One other thing you could consider is a weekend getaway on the lake and a townhome in the north dallas area. You could probably do both for under 400K without a problem. Again for reference, I passed up an old A frame house 1500 sq ft on Possum Kingdom (2-3 hr drive) for 65K. There was no boat slip just a swim dock but for that price I could have added one (which PK allows). There are a number of lakes in East Texas (Bob Sandlin, Monticello, etc.) where you could do something similar and be less than 2 hours from a weekend getaway.

Here is the TX dept of parks and wildlife. It will give you info on all the lakes in Texas. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/

planoboy
11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
you can find wut you seek. wish you luck.
SoCal bux should put you on water easy.
Flower Mound Grapevine is probably hottest / best place.
Hubbard, Lavon, east side of town has new Bush tollway.
look on the north side of lake lewisville, oak point is where i live, work in Plano. 30 mile commute.
You going to transfer or new job?

JKTX21
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Check EBBY.com and do the "map seach." They have a pretty comprehensive real estate listing. Good luck.

slink976
11-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Thank you all, SteveO still trying to get some time to give you a call. The family and I are quite busy dealing with real estate agents(None of which listen worth a damn, Why do you want a lake house when you can buy this 5k sqft house 30 minutes away from the lake for the same price? Ahhh cuz i don't fill like cleaning 5k of house!) We are looking now in the Lewisville(i think thats right) and lake Ray Hubbard.

As my wife and I are fairly young, she is 26 and I am 30 with a 6 year old and 1 in the belly. We do not want to be in a retirement community. No offence to older TT members but I am sure you too apprecaite the fact that you don't have someone that likes to throw parties every now and again living next door to you.

Planoboy - I will be transferring to the area. I currently work for EDS here in San Diego and with a new baby on the way we fear that making ends meet here while still enjoying our current life style will be impossible.

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Planoboy - I will be transferring to the area. I currently work for EDS here in San Diego and with a new baby on the way we fear that making ends meet here while still enjoying our current life style will be impossible.

Moving from San Diego to Dallas? Are you insane man?!:D

My advice to you would be to rent in Dallas for a year before buying, just to make sure...

slink976
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
eh - Sick of freaking taxes in cali cramped living and god awful lines to do any thing. I used to live up your way got sick of it up there too.(Fairfield) I think a little lake living is what I need right about now! Plus I want to be able to cut down a freaking tree in my yard if I don't like it without having to fight every liberal in my neighborhood!

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
eh - Sick of freaking taxes in cali cramped living and god awful lines to do any thing. I used to live up your way got sick of it up there too.(Fairfield) I think a little lake living is what I need right about now! Plus I want to be able to cut down a freaking tree in my yard if I don't like it without having to fight every liberal in my neighborhood!

Not sure what you mean about the lines, but your property taxes in Texas will be similar. Property values are lower the tax rates are WAY higher (mine were 3.7% in Dallas and they're 1% here). The net net isn't that much different, plus your utility bills are going to be much higher if you buy a large home and have to cool that thing all summer. We had to have two air conditioners running full time to cool our house there and our utility bills were insane. No state income tax in Texas, but in Cali by the time the marginal rate get's big you're making serious money anyway, so I consider it the cost of living here.

Re: trees, don't worry, you won't see too many of them where you're going, unless you coun't the mandatory two saplings they stick the middle of the front yards on every new home. We have limits on tree cutting in our town, but they're really easy to get around.

Having done exactly what you just did, my advice is to rent and get your feet wet first before buying. That way if for some reason you hate it, you don't have to pay a big realtor commission to get out.

Everytime my wife and I get stressed about living in our small, old house we just think back to those awful 15 months in our beautiful house in Dallas and the feeling passes.

slink976
11-08-2006, 02:03 PM
yea - I understand you Arch but i have been fed up with Cal for quite some time! I love, really love my weather down here... Hell I went boarding last sunday and it was 91 when we got off the lake. But I can't afford to live here anymore. My wife and I make really good money just under 150 a year, but even with that it seems that we are living paycheck to paycheck.

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I feel your pain. Been there. We were in a very similar child/income situation when we left as well.

Ryan
11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I have shopped the area quite a bit and feel your CA pain.

In addition to Lakehouse.com, try Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com) and be sure to select lakefront or waterview in the advanced search. This site is fed by MLS and will get you more results than any other site I know of for lakefront.

Also take a look at Zillow.com (http://www.zillow.com). Using an integrated Google Maps you can zoom in on the shoreline of many lakes near Plano and see a very good estimate of current pricing/value. In most cities you can change your view to see the front of the house. You could pick up any of these on the eastern shore of Lake Ray Hubbard, then rent a slip in the nearby marina. Maybe not quite the private boat lift you were looking for, but they are hard to find within reasonable commuting distance.

CoFooter
11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Can't comment on Texas other than that I've travelled there quite a bit on business and always though the traffic sucked. Weather never semed to be an issue but I was never there in an ice storm. Can comment on your move out of So. Cal. Born and raised in Huntington Beach. Moved to Colorado 8 yrs ago and never looked back. Talk about traffic, congestion, cost of living, quality of education for young ones (not making a political statement about immigration but when your kid is a minority in a public school in which the majority don't speak english - it really sucks), I can go on and on. I like to visit and there are some parts I miss, but I wouldn't want to live there ever again. You guys are young, with kids, seems laike a great time to seek a new adventure with a better quality of life and future for your childern.

Ryan
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
...So. Cal. Born and raised in Huntington Beach. Moved to Colorado 8 yrs ago and never looked back. ...

Hello from downtown. Where did you live in HB?

CoFooter
11-08-2006, 07:41 PM
I actually lived various places off Brookhust (Adams/Atlanta/Ellis). I hung out downtown a lot at the pier, beach, Perqs bar, there was a music place down there that I forget the name of that used to host some pretty good shows. It was a pretty cool place before they wrecked it with all the new development. I got married at the resteraunt next to the pier during the OP pro surfing tournament back when they held it in July in 1990. It was called Maxwells then, now its something else. Where do you live?

Ryan
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I actually lived various places off Brookhust (Adams/Atlanta/Ellis). I hung out downtown a lot at the pier, beach, Perqs bar, there was a music place down there that I forget the name of that used to host some pretty good shows. It was a pretty cool place before they wrecked it with all the new development. I got married at the resteraunt next to the pier during the OP pro surfing tournament back when they held it in July in 1990. It was called Maxwells then, now its something else. Where do you live?

PM at ya. They are building a new shopping area a block north of Main called the Strand. By the time that is up and running this place will look quite different compared to 16 years ago. I can only dream of home prices in '90. I rent, hence my experience shopping real estate in DFW... and every other part of the country with lakes.

[thread jack: off]

TalleyHo
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Drop me a line when you get to town. I'm about 15 minutes from Plano (in Garland) and board at Lavon all the time. (It's a record 17' low right now, and all but 2 ramps are closed, so there is NOBODY on the water). I'll at least show you where to not go on Lavon.

FWIW - Lewisville is AKA Killsville, or Lake Death. There is a LOT of irresponsible drinking on that lake and always a couple of drunk fatalaties a year. I avoid it like the plague.

Lavon is getting worse w/ all the growth. Ray Roberts, way north is nice, but only protects a south wind, and can get busy on the weekend. Texoma is huge, gets rough when its windy, but a nice change of sceneray.

Hubbard is pure hell (IMO). I have friends that ride there, but not me. Too busy, too many stumps.

Frisco is another big booming area. I'm not a big fan, but that seems to be where all the growth is right now. Frisco is about 5 minutes North of Plano.

And remember, lakes in Cali are flooded mountains right? Lakes in Texas are man-made puddles w/ an average depth of < 50'. It'll be a big culture shock.

Archimedes
11-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Well said TalleyHo. I refrained from describing those lakes in the manner you did, for fear of seeming too negative. Good to hear an honest, local summary of things. My opinion has always been the lakes around Dallas are mostly awful ski lakes with a high wally quotient. When I lived in Houston we had a lake like that in the area called Lake Conroe. Lots of nice houses on it but just about the worst ski lake you could imagine and drunk wally's all over it on the weekends. I we didn't have the San Jac to ski in, I would have sold my boat.

Also nice of you to mention stumps, as most boaters out here have never even thought of them, while I recall in Texas you really need to know your local stump fields. I lost a prop on my first boat searching for smooth water on Conroe in one of said fields.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
...searching for smooth water on Conroe ....

Now that's funny! My boat was a "Conroe" boat. Probably why it wasn't used to heavily in ten years. Guy apparently had it back on the lift by 7:15 a.m. each day.

Archimedes
11-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Now that's funny! My boat was a "Conroe" boat. Probably why it wasn't used to heavily in ten years. Guy apparently had it back on the lift by 7:15 a.m. each day.

You're not joking. On a weekend that lake was typically unskiable by around 8:30 am. If you weren't making first waves on the lake, you were pretty much screwed as far as slalom goes.

east tx skier
11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
That can be the case on most big lakes though. But conroe is just so massive that the problem is compounded. There are a few public spots here and there that are somewhat undiscovered and skiable. But you kind of have to sniff them out. I'm not familiar enough with the lakes close to Dallas to know where those are though.

beanboy
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I spent last spring and this past summer looking for a lakehouse within 2 hrs of DFW. Considered pretty much every lake, and by far the best compromise we found was at Lake Richland Chambers...3rd largest in TX (44,00 acres), and supposedly only 30% developed or so. It was undeveloped enough for us to be able to find a lakehouse for sale that is on 47 acres and has 600ft of waterfront. That would be either A. impossible or B. 5-15 million dollars on other local lakes.

Fatalities are pretty rare on the lake at this point (knock on wood). This labor day only one boat was spotted the entire weekend in front of our house (the water is down though, which I'm sure had something to do with it). But from other owners on the lake I've heard even holidays like the 4th of July is very 'doable' every year.

Just wanted to give people in DFW a heads up, because not many people know about the lake (located near Corsicana, TX) as its only 17 years old. And I'm glad we didn't go with one of the more crowded lakes when we were buying.

PS Lavon is my other favorite lake, esp. if you are near Plano. But you can't build on it, which ruled it out for me.

Archimedes
11-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Beanboy, I think what you meant to say was, "if you think the lakes around DFW are bad, don't even check out Lake Richland Chambers. It's an absolute mess; you'd hate it here. Now Lake Whitney, there's a great lake..." ;-)

slink976
11-09-2006, 01:49 PM
So I am getting a touch confussed

Is lake Ray Hubbard a bad lake or good?

Archimedes
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
That can be the case on most big lakes though. But conroe is just so massive that the problem is compounded. There are a few public spots here and there that are somewhat undiscovered and skiable. But you kind of have to sniff them out. I'm not familiar enough with the lakes close to Dallas to know where those are though.

Conroe's problem is that it's basically a big open bathtub, with bulkheads all over it to kick wave energy back into the lake, and way too many big boats on it for the size of the lake. A friend of mine had a nice house on 'Compaq Cove', so nicknamed for a bunch of Compaq execs that lived down it, and we'd sit outside and watch them rumble by on their Scarabs and Cigarettes to go out and cruise around on a small, landlocked lake. Plus, back when we were there the jet ski action was totally insane.

Don
11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
So I am getting a touch confussed

Is lake Ray Hubbard a bad lake or good?

Hey Dude......you may Not want to focus your search on a lake around Dallas. The private lake community can be a ***** and expensive...very expensive. I have deeded access to a prestine lake here in Florida and get better quality skiing than I would at any of the ski lake communities without the politices and cost........A great place to ski in the Dallas/Irving area is Los Colines. It is a club, boat provided, course/jump, on the canal in town. Locked gate to members. My son skied there for years. Ski there until you can ckeckout, first hand, the lake situation. My quess is you can ski all you want w/o having to live right on a lake, and not have to drive a 100 miles to work.

G-man
11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Don]The private lake community can be a ***** and expensive...very expensive. QUOTE]

Your not kidding, It's great that you know everyone in the community but there is so much BS. Everyone weather they know anything about private lakes and water management is instantly an expert because they think so.

slink976
11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
How bout lake Fork? Anyone know much about it? How far from Plano is that, looks far but again i have no concept of traffic out that way!

Rich_G
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Lake Fork is a pure fishing lake. They flooded a forest and left the forest. Anything on the East side of town is going to be a tough commute to Frisco.

Archimedes
11-09-2006, 04:07 PM
How bout lake Fork? Anyone know much about it? How far from Plano is that, looks far but again i have no concept of traffic out that way!

Slink,

Not trying to be negative or burst bubbles here, but know that the traffic around Plano is brutal, no matter which way you go. Imagine someone laid out one big housing development like a sheet of engineering graph paper. Now imagine that every corner is a street light. No imagine to get across Plano you have to go from one side of the page to the other at 30 mph. Oh and don't forget, those cross streets are all houses as far as the eye can see, with cars in every driveway. Get the picture? You just don't get anywhere fast. That whole area from Plano north is just one big sea of houses and streetlights.

On the day my son was born, I had to race from the far east side of Plano to Catholic hospital on the West Side. This was at 5:45 in the morning. Took us 30 minutes, and that was running some lights! 30 minutes! And we never left the town of Plano.

slink976
11-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I am used to traffic

Thats why I want to be out on the lakes and not in plano but around that area. I plan on working from my house about 75% - 85% of the time so Trips into plano will be far and few between. That is why I really want a house on a lake. Nice early morning runs.. Shower up get into home office to get work done. Maybe 2 times a month go to my office in Plano.

G-man
11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Slink,

I had to race from the far east side of Plano to Catholic hospital on the West Side. This was at 5:45 in the morning. Took us 30 minutes, and that was running some lights! 30 minutes! And we never left the town of Plano.

The good news is there is new tollroad and the lights are timed better. I have been in Plano since 1981 and don't know where the catholic hospital is. There is Presbyterian hospital about 10 years old and Plano Community hospital. I bet that is it. Still traffic sucks

Don
11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
You're going to do, what you're going do, and living on a lake is your goal. You're getting advice here about lakes in the Dallas, Ft Worth area that you don't want to hear. If you only need to go into the office a couple times a month you could live in Florida and commute by air......and have a better chance of getting what you describe. I ski here during Dec. in board shorts with maybe a thin skin top, but when I skied with my son in Irving/los Colines I froze my *** of in a dry suite in early Nov. Cost of real estate is low, but the property taxes are very high. You'll pay 3 times what I pay in Fl. example: my taxes on a $500K home here is 3K/yr, in Dallas/Plano, 9K. Add to that home/owner's assesments on private lakes, you may not escape the high cost of Calif living. I know, I came from Calif. Wish you the best.

Rich_G
11-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I am used to traffic

Thats why I want to be out on the lakes and not in plano but around that area. I plan on working from my house about 75% - 85% of the time so Trips into plano will be far and few between. That is why I really want a house on a lake. Nice early morning runs.. Shower up get into home office to get work done. Maybe 2 times a month go to my office in Plano.

That changes everything. Here's what I would do:
1. Take a map and draw a perimeter line 50 miles outside the DFW area.
2. Look for places only outside that line.

You will understand what I'm talking about once you get here. All the lakes you are considering so far are water reservoirs for DFW (water levels fluctuate greatly); no homeowner dock access, not good recreational lakes, and are extremely overcrowded. You have lots of options but you're not going to be able to make a decision with internet research. Rent and start scoping out places on the weekend.

Archimedes
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
There is Presbyterian hospital about 10 years old and Plano Community hospital. I bet that is it. Still traffic sucks

Ya got me. I meant Presbyterian hospital.

slink976
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
That changes everything. Here's what I would do:
1. Take a map and draw a perimeter line 50 miles outside the DFW area.
2. Look for places only outside that line.

You will understand what I'm talking about once you get here. All the lakes you are considering so far are water reservoirs for DFW (water levels fluctuate greatly); no homeowner dock access, not good recreational lakes, and are extremely overcrowded. You have lots of options but you're not going to be able to make a decision with internet research. Rent and start scoping out places on the weekend.

Thanks Rich, Got your PM too. I have sent my agent looking further from the plano area hoping for the best. I am going to take the advice in the PM and do some searching that way too. All again this is some very good advice I am recieving here an I am very thankful!

Arch- quit hating on Texas! lol

slink976
11-16-2006, 07:31 PM
After many technical interviews (yeah right these guys are lost, sorry little big headed moment!) I have excepted the position in Plano TX. I start on Dec 1st. I will be putting my house on the market here in San Diego within the next 2 weeks or so. Anyone want to buy a 750,000 to 800,000k house?

My company however told me to take my time on getting down there so the search continues...... From what I have seen so far I believe that I am going to be looking for a house on lake Lewisville. This is still not locked in stone but I am heavily leaning towards that.

I hope to see all you north texans out having a good time. First chance I get I will invite you over for a house warming party (As I will know no one in Texas)

Once again thank you to all for your suggestions and please keep them coming! Nothing is yet locked in stone!

Lee

east tx skier
11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Welcome to Texas!

Larryp
11-16-2006, 10:32 PM
If you look at lake Waxahachie you will be pleasantly surprised. About miles south of downtown Plano. There is lake front with dock from 150k to 1.5mil. It is not a big lake but there is no damn yankees down here.

slink976
11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
errrr 1.5 mil???? Looking in the 200-400 range. Are there nice houses with in that range there? One that we could live in?

tex
11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
You are bringing the X-2?

slink976
11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
You know this MANNNNN! that is the reason i am moving! well that and the family thing which by the way my X2 is my first kid!

slink976
11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
shhhhhhhh don't tell the wife!

tex
11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Great, I can't wait to take a ski ride behind it!

sanjuan23
11-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Looks like we have another Texan Mastercraft in the Making:D See ya when you get here.

slink976
11-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I can't wait! I got the ride who's got the gas money?

slink976
11-16-2006, 11:26 PM
oh yeah then there is going to be a small clean up detail!

Farmer Ted
11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Looks like we have another Texan Mastercraft in the Making:D See ya when you get here.

We had an offer for a house in Farmersville, seriously, but it fell through.

Now we're looking at the two story crack houses in Royse City.

slink976
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
huh...........................

Farmer Ted
11-16-2006, 11:35 PM
oh yeah then there is going to be a small clean up detail!

I'm working with a Century 21 realtor out of Plano, I can forward you his details if you'd like.

slink976
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
any good? and mmmmmmm due to character length

Farmer Ted
11-16-2006, 11:49 PM
any good? and mmmmmmm due to character length

so far so good, he was recommended to me by USAA

He's been a realtor since 1972 and he's a Dallas guy so he knows the area well.

PM me and I'll send you his info if you want it.

tex
11-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I can't wait! I got the ride who's got the gas money?
If I can't ski...I will drive, wipe down, and be a smart ars! I even have gas $$$! Please come ski with us!

slink976
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
You Can ski! I hear the X2 is good for it :( I board but skiers(With wipeing abilities) are always welcome!

slink976
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah and the smart a$$ part... Always welcome

tex
11-17-2006, 11:27 PM
You Can ski! I hear the X2 is good for it :( I board but skiers(With wipeing abilities) are always welcome!
I am ok on a board....

Farmer Ted
11-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I am ok on a board....

is that similar to saying Lance Armstrong is ok on a bike?

tex
11-17-2006, 11:59 PM
is that similar to saying Lance Armstrong is ok on a bike?
I would hate to compare my boarding abilities to his biking abilities!

slink976
11-19-2006, 12:54 AM
oh yeah aside from ski/boarding, is there someone that can show me the ins and outs of the lake? you know the do's and don'ts. So far i have heard tht the lakes are extremely shallow :( but I would perfer one of you experts to show me. Dont want to be a relocated WALLY!!!

SteveO
11-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Slink,

Ya gotta watch that Tex fella, He is a little crazy. He likes to Jump, Sky Ski and remove perfectly good skis from his feet while traveling at 45 mph. Other than that he is a great driver, great drinker and good cleaner. Get that X2 to big D. I've been dying to ride behind one. My buddies X1 wake is my current favorite boarding wake. I can assure you that you will have no problem finding riders. Take a look at dallaswakeboarding.com I have meet some really good people on the site.

tex
11-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanx for the compliments on the drinking abilities Stevo! We can always use your boat. I love any boat that I can hit the ramp and throw a flip or heli and hear Hendrix like I'm sitting in the boat!:cool:

tex
11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanx for the compliments on the drinking abilities Stevo! We can always use your boat. I love any boat that I can hit the ramp and throw a flip or heli and hear Hendrix like I'm sitting in the boat!:cool:
Sorry Gene!

SteveO
11-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Tex, Gene W? His Supra 24 V is nice. Total threadjack, but rode behind the new Tige picklefork last weekend. Firm, large, and nice ramp.

Harvey
11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Us dallaswakeboarding.com folks are a good resource, so is this. http://www.texaslakemaps.net/

It will give you most of the info that you want. If not send me a PM when you get here and I would be glad to bring a board, show you the lake and ride a little.

sanjuan23
11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Here's an idea... How about all of us DFW's put together a first weekend on the water type deal. That way those of us that keep missing each other etc. Can hang out meet greet ski board foot drink BBQ drink brag bs etc.

michael freeman
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Here's an idea... How about all of us DFW's put together a first weekend on the water type deal. That way those of us that keep missing each other etc. Can hang out meet greet ski board foot drink BBQ drink brag bs etc.

I'm up for that just give me a time and place.

I actually plan on going out on Thanksgiving. Probably PK, Temps should be in the high 70's.

slink976
11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Alrighty, trying to book a flight now for a trip out that way in Jan to get a look around and check out some houses. when I get a firm date for the trip I'll let you guy's know. Hopefully catch up over some drinks and talk about some of the locations out that way and what to expect out there. Again I am a cali boy that has lived here most my life so this will be a big change for me! look forward to meeting up with all of you out there weather it be on my visit or when i move there.

Lee

tex
11-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm in! Anybody want to come to the Metroplex Ski Club Christmas Party?-PM me!

slink976
11-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Alright, Booked my flights. My wife and I are going to be in the Plano area Dec. 7th through the 10th. probably going to look at a shyt ton of houses the 8th and 9th but I am up for something the night of the 9th if anything is going on.

must remind all... This will be my wife and I(wife is 6 mths prego) but this just mean I have a DD.... JK i think i should keep it somewhat slow that night.

Slink

SteveO
11-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Tex, Gonna miss this years party. Going to CO for a few days of skiing before some meetings I have that following week. Lee, give my cell a shout as I get back Friday night.

tex
11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Didn't you skip last year's party?

SteveO
11-23-2006, 01:24 PM
You are correct sir. For the last few years, we always have an nexts years planning meeting the first full week in Dec. The last few have been in mountainous regions, so I have gone early to enjoy. Drink a few for me:D

slink976
12-01-2006, 09:57 PM
oh yeah! did I mention I will be in Texas for my 31st Bday!!! whos gonna buy me a drink?

tex
12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
oh yeah! did I mention I will be in Texas for my 31st Bday!!! whos gonna buy me a drink?
You are a lucky man, I been known to buy a man a drink, wait...that didn't come out right!

Hoosier Bob
12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry so late but I would do it! You can get tackle boxes for cost there I hear!8p Sorry but it is a slow night and someone has to pay!