PDA

View Full Version : Plasma vs. LCD

prostar205
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I am interested in people's thoughts regarding large format HD TVs. My wife and I are looking at either a Plasma or LCD. The TV would go over our fireplace. The size would be a 50" Plasma or 46" LCD.

Thoughts, Thoughts, Thoughts!!!!

6ballsisall
11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Perfect!!! I was going to post the same thing today!! I am all ears peeps!!

dmayer84
11-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Between the two LCD has a much better picture, plasmas are all the rage, but prices on lcds are dropping. Peronally I went with DLP great picutre and I dont have to worry about anything getting burned into the screen.

Archimedes
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I've got a 50" Sony LCD projection in my living room and it is an amazing picture. As good a picture in high def as any TV I've ever seen of any kind. The only negative on the projection LCD is you don't get full angle viewing, but it's way, way better in that regard than the old projections. The other negative is it's bigger than a flat panel TV.

I also have a 32" Toshiba Theater Wide LCD flat panel in my bedroom and it is awesome as well. However, in most modes, the LCD color is too sharp and harsh, so you have to set that TV to Movie Mode. In that mode it's awesome and the viewing angle isn't an issue.

Finally, I've got a 15 inch LCD flat panel Aquos in the kitchen and it pretty much blows. Okay for kitchen TV, but I would never put one of those anywhere else. Tried a big one in the bed room and returned it right away.

What I've noticed in the LCD flat panels is you get what you pay for. There are a lot of cheaper LCDs on the market right now that $uck. They might have a clear picture, but their color rendering is awful.

I shied away from Plasma due to burn in and power control issues mostly, but I also didn't like the picture as much as the other TVs.

Note that the DLP uses a color wheel and somepeople, myself included, see a rainbow when they watch it. If you see it, you shouldn't buy that type of TV. That said, I understand that DLP outsells LCD rear projections by like 4:1.

Chief
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I am interested in people's thoughts regarding large format HD TVs. My wife and I are looking at either a Plasma or LCD. The TV would go over our fireplace. The size would be a 50" Plasma or 46" LCD.

Thoughts, Thoughts, Thoughts!!!!
I have a 46" Plasma mounted on the fireplace above mantle. I drilled anchors into the brick and mounted and it's awesome! Looks nice and clean. Samsung 46" great picture and it's been going for four years and picture still razor sharp.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
There is no way I would mount either over a fireplace IMO. Too much heat, UNLESS the fireplace never gets used and its only there for looks.
42" In plasma here, about 2 years on it and have yet to see any "burn in" I read so much about.

Get a REAL good mount. One that scissors away from the wall, makes connections and mounting much easier.

Andyg
11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Do you have two tvs picked out? Go to the store that has them and ask them to move them side by side and put the same program on both tvs. Now look to see which has the better picture. That is what I did when I bought my Toshiba DLP. I was also looking at a Sony rear projection, but the Toshiba literally blew it away. Looking at them at there original locations in the store I couldn't tell one from the other, but once they were side by side is was night and day difference.

If you are not set on a flat screen I would seriously consider looking at the DLP rear projection tvs that are out there. There are some benefits to a rear projection over a Plasma, such as burn-in, or fade. From what I have read at 30,000 viewing hours a plasma will be half as bright as when you bought it. Now to put that into perspective lets say your TV is on for a 1000 hrs a year (3hrs a day 7 days a week) that is 30 years. I would guess most of use would replace our TV before that.

dmayer84
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Mine is a samsung DLP http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5087WXXAA.asp

6ballsisall
From what I have read about "burn-in" the real concern is more with TV's that display a static image all the time. A great example would be at airports, like Hartsfield where they use tons of flat panels TV's. They all have a Delta Blue background, i'd bet after some time those TV"s have burn in from that static image.

I can't say I am too worried about burn-in as I watch less an hour of TV per week (Boston Legal) and the wife might watch 3-4 hours all week tops.

Hoff1
I went through this earlier in the year. The LCD flat panels are nice because you don't have screen burn and they are less fragile than plasma's. But, the contrast is incredibly in the plasma's favor. You can get a bigger plasma for the same price also. LCD's don't do a great job with black color currently - probably getting better though.

I chose not to go with any of the projection TVs (DLP, LCD) mainly because of the bulb concerns. They can last 8 years, or 6 months - but anyway around it you will be replacing them at sometime. Any power outage can kill the bulb since the cooling fan is not going to be powered - unless you buy the backup power storage unit for an additional cost.

The location of TV will also matter. The projection HD ones tend to wash out a little in direction sunlight. I was at a store one day and could barely see any picture on a LCD projection when the sunlight was hitting the screen - not good for me.

I ended up with a 42" plasma Samsung. I don't think screen burn is much of an issue anymore - never had any hint of it on mine, even after a couple of hours with the black bars on the sides.

I would strongly recommend reading up and going to several of the stores to ask the sales people questions. I found that usually I would get different answers to the same question - sometimes even in the same store. If I heard the same thing twice, I figured it was more likely to be the correct. Good luck with your searching, I dont' know how I'd live without mine anymore.

Archimedes
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
The other issue is gaming. If you're a video gamer, you don't want plasma.

bigmac
11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Note that the DLP uses a color wheel and somepeople, myself included, see a rainbow when they watch it. If you see it, you shouldn't buy that type of TV. That said, I understand that DLP outsells LCD rear projections by like 4:1.

About 20% of the population will see the rainbow effect from a single-chip DLP projector, about a third of those will see it all the time, and the rest only see it while panning their eyes across the screen. The difference is due to variations between people in the "flicker-threshold" of the human eye.

There have been a lot advances in that arena, with fast-switching LEDs, faster wheels (up to 4x), rotating prisms instead of a color wheel, spiral wheels etc .... the newer three-chip DLPs really minimize it. But I agree, best to watch the DLP one is looking to buy to make sure it doesn't affect you.

Andyg
11-06-2006, 01:52 PM
There is no way I would mount either over a fireplace IMO. Too much heat, UNLESS the fireplace never gets used and its only there for looks.

I was under the same impression until I did a test today. I have a recessed cabinet above my gas fireplace. I turned the gas fireplace on full blast with the fan off, so as much heat would stay around the fireplace as possible. I ran it for an hour and there was no temerature increase in the recessed cabinet above the fireplace. The floor of the cabinet was still cool to the touch. There is no mantle on this fireplace so the one thing I did notice was that there was a flow of hot air up the front, but it didn't warm the cabinet space up. As long as the tv was recessed about an inch it wouldn't feel any temperature changes. I then turned the fan to medium and that pretty much eliminated all of the heat that was rising up the front of the cabinet.

I do not know how a TV over a mantle would be effected, but I think some of the same principles of my test would apply. I would test the temperature though before buying a TV for an above fireplace mount.

dmayer84
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
From what I have read about "burn-in" the real concern is more with TV's that display a static image all the time. A great example would be at airports, like Hartsfield where they use tons of flat panels TV's. They all have a Delta Blue background, i'd bet after some time those TV"s have burn in from that static image.

I can't say I am too worried about burn-in as I watch less an hour of TV per week (Boston Legal) and the wife might watch 3-4 hours all week tops.

We have 2 Plasmas here at work that are on 24/7 the burn in on them is pretty bad and they are constantly displaying server data. That is what turned me off to buying any plasma, and the colors on them have faded a lot, white is not even that bright any more.

Hoff1
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I hear a lot of people talking about mounting their TV above the fireplace, but man that's hurting my neck just thinking about it. It's like sitting in the front row at a movie theater. It's cool for about 15 minutes with you're 12 years old, but after that it looses its appeal.

Andyg
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I hear a lot of people talking about mounting their TV above the fireplace, but man that's hurting my neck just thinking about it. It's like sitting in the front row at a movie theater. It's cool for about 15 minutes with you're 12 years old, but after that it looses its appeal.

That was another concern of mine that I think is not going to be an issue. I am going to tilt my new TV forward at a 12 degree angle. I actually think it is going to be more comfortable to watch that TV when I am reclined on my couch. Now if you are laying down on your side I can see it being a pain in the neck. If you are in a recliner though I actually think it will be easier on your neck since you can lay your head back into the recliner.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
The other issue is gaming. If you're a video gamer, you don't want plasma.
Yeah but, my 40" Mitsubishi game TV (tube) is much harder to hang on the wall......;)

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
42" In plasma here, about 2 years on it and have yet to see any "burn in" I read so much about.

Get a REAL good mount. One that scissors away from the wall, makes connections and mounting much easier.

That's the conclusion we reached with ours. Hung it on the opposite wall. 36" LCD and very pleased so far. Agree with a little space making connections easier, too. We have a flush mount, but have a piece of wood bolted into the stud (stud wasn't centered) to hold the mount plate
to the wall securely. Clearance to make connections is manageable, but a tight squeeze.

prostar205
11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinions/advice.

I am looking at the Sony Brevia 46" LCD. This is their new 1080P (not 1080i) version that has 7,000:1 contract ratio. I am luckly to work in the military aerospace industry where our company designs AMLCD flat panel displays for military fighter jets (F22, F35, F16, etc..) and military helicopters (AH-64D, VH-71A, MH-60R,S) so we have some pretty talented display engineers. The problem is that these guys are really not tuned into the "real" world. Today's flat panel TV technology was available to the military 5 years ago. They are always looking forward.

As for location, because of our room configuration, it has to go above the fireplace. It is certainly not my first choice but our family room as shaped like a rectangle (15' wide x 20' long). Furthermore, we have a wall of windows that face the west and in the afternoon, the room gets washed out with sunlight. This is the where we currently have a 53" rear projection CRT HDTV located.

Chief
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Here's a pic of the mounting over the fireplace. The mantle deflects any serious heat, but it's never too hot.

Tryin-again
11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Here's a pic of the mounting over the fireplace. The mantle deflects any serious heat, but it's never too hot.

Nice Set-up But you need a new photographer or camera... all your mantle picts are really blurry!.....:D

Chief
11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Nice Set-up But you need a new photographer or camera... all your mantle picts are really blurry!.....:D

We saw the RING!

Tryin-again
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
We saw the RING!

I understand - This place can be very dangerous!!:D :D

nuckinfutz
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Some things to consider.

Plasma uses Gas filled tubes. So things that effect air temp or density will affect Plasmas.

Example Plasmas do not work well in higher elevation. Picture quality fluctuates during hot/cold environments. Most of us do live at sea level or near, and most likely our house is near 72 degrees. Still, something you should know.

Although LCD's on average have not met the average size of a plasma (46" is the largest I have seen) and plasmas are as large 55 or even 60 (japan has up to 200")

Things to consider when buying a LCD are the refresh rate. Wonder why the price of a Sony is alot more that a no name brand, the processing power of a Sony is greater. You’ll notice this when your watching a DVD closely and see wash in a action packed section of the movie especially during a dark (black or near black) part of a movie. Since Black is the most difficult color (or absence of color) to re-produce I suggest you bring your own movie into where ever you decide to purchase or compare.

Just My .02

prostar205
11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Some things to consider.

Plasma uses Gas filled tubes. So things that effect air temp or density will affect Plasmas.

Example Plasmas do not work well in higher elevation. Picture quality fluctuates during hot/cold environments. Most of us do live at sea level or near, and most likely our house is near 72 degrees. Still, something you should know.

Although LCD's on average have not met the average size of a plasma (46" is the largest I have seen) and plasmas are as large 55 or even 60 (japan has up to 200")

Things to consider when buying a LCD are the refresh rate. Wonder why the price of a Sony is alot more that a no name brand, the processing power of a Sony is greater. You’ll notice this when your watching a DVD closely and see wash in a action packed section of the movie especially during a dark (black or near black) part of a movie. Since Black is the most difficult color (or absence of color) to re-produce I suggest you bring your own movie into where ever you decide to purchase or compare.

Just My .02

Nuchinfutz -

The Sony Brevia has an 8 ms response time and a wide color gamut CCFL backlight. I believe this is how they achieve their black levels by turning the backlight off when a particular AMLCD cell is closed.

The one I am looking at is the Sony KDL-46XBR3.

TX.X-30 fan
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM

same thing i have heard, plasma and heat dont mix.

mitch
11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
which one uses more power, Plasma or an LCD flat panel? Heard the plasma's are power hogs, but don't know for sure....

Hoff1
11-07-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure that plasma's use a lot more energy. I think mine is close to 400 watts. Cooling fan are included for most plasma's to help dissipate the heat. Mine was designed to not have one though, uses free convection.

tex
11-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Buy DLP! It's amazing, it's the mirrors!

nuckinfutz
11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Nuchinfutz -

The Sony Brevia has an 8 ms response time and a wide color gamut CCFL backlight. I believe this is how they achieve their black levels by turning the backlight off when a particular AMLCD cell is closed.

I have never gone wrong with a sony product. You pay a little more, But it always is worth it. Im sure I dont have to convince this crowd with the phrase "You get what you pay for"!

bigmac
11-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Im sure I dont have to convince this crowd with the phrase "You get what you pay for"!

Hmmmm...if that were universally true, we'd all be driving Toyotas and using Macintosh computers...;)

mitch
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Nuchinfutz -

Did you buy one? Am looking at a 42"+ (probably 9 mos away) for my gameroom and leaning LCD.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

BTW. I've had a 55" Hitachi DLP for 2 years, rocks! No one has ever mentioned the rainbow effect, and no one in my fam, incl me, has ever seen it. Fam is watching Nemo on it now, TV still amazes me. If you're not going to hang it on the wall, I'd consider DLP.....

TX.X-30 fan
01-08-2007, 10:15 PM
We just bought the Mitsubishi lt 46231. Did some research around the net first, avs forum is a good start. So far I love the picture. Its very bright, much better than the samsung dlp. That set died after 4 yrs. 3,900 for 4 yrs sucks.

X-45
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Friend just bought a 42" Hitachi plasma from HHgregg for 1,200 plus tax. I though it was a killer deal. I don't see TV's dropping any more.

PendO
01-08-2007, 10:50 PM
We just bought the Mitsubishi lt 46231. Did some research around the net first, avs forum is a good start. So far I love the picture. Its very bright, much better than the samsung dlp. That set died after 4 yrs. 3,900 for 4 yrs sucks.

so did you send the samsung to the graveyard??? I was pretty happy with my 2nd gen samsung dlp 50" until the bottom corners started to show some strange shadowing, almost like there is some separation in the screen ... it is not that noticable, but like you, for the price paid a few years ago in 2003, I am not thrilled ... supposedly I can have a new screen put in, but the only "authorized" samsung repair place is in seattle 250 miles away, otherwise I have loved the picture quality

mitch
01-09-2007, 08:52 AM
This looked like a pretty good one when I was at CC yesterday, and you can't beat the price. I was planning on waiting a year, but getting the itch..........bad!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-42-Plasma-HDTV-42PC3D/sem/rpsm/oid/146415/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Hemey5
01-09-2007, 09:06 AM
DLP 1080P check it out, it out does the 1080i.
More return for less money.

BrianM
01-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Buddy of mine just bought one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=2145&A=details&Q=&sku=424213&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation and I have been looking to pick up the same. The Panisonic Plasma gets awsome reviews and the price for a quality 42" can't be beat. For those of you looking for TVs and electronics www.bhphoto.com has amazing prices and service. Shipping ends up being less than paying tax and they seem to always have prices that are less and sometimes much less than CC or BB.

stevo137
01-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Brian,
I have been told that the plasma's begin to wear out in a few years.

Not sure about this.

I will still take my Ultravision rear projection over LCD's from what I have seen.

mitch
01-09-2007, 09:35 AM
That does look like a very good deal, but prefer black trim. Also heard shipping plasma's can be risky. I'll assume when CC or BB get theirs it's by the pallet load vs an individual box.

Buddy of mine just bought one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=2145&A=details&Q=&sku=424213&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation and I have been looking to pick up the same. The Panisonic Plasma gets awsome reviews and the price for a quality 42" can't be beat. For those of you looking for TVs and electronics www.bhphoto.com has amazing prices and service. Shipping ends up being less than paying tax and they seem to always have prices that are less and sometimes much less than CC or BB.

OhioProstar
01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
My 52" JVC HD-ILA went through two bulbs when it was next to my fireplace. Now that it is downstairs in a cool case I have had no problem. I have a 32" LCD and love how thin it is and I think it weighed 35lbs.

BIGBADBLUE
01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Gotta love the LCD ... higher res, no reflection from light. I have a 46" above my fireplace and love it. A little more pricey than Plasmas but worth it.

OTW
01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I work for a large independent appliance and electronics retailer in the north chicago suburbs handling manufacturer returns for A/V goods.

Everybody is pretty accurate.
-Heat kills
-Burn in really only applies to leaving the TV on for many hours with a ticker such as CNN or ESPN.
-Plasmas have better color, are heavier, and can have a glare/reflection. Prices have pretty much stopped coming down. Panasonic's base plasma is about $1000. Plasmas are very fragile and very costly to fix.
-LCD flat panels are the hot TV now. Prices are still coming down, weigh less than plasmas, and black screen is getting better. LCDs are not as fragile.
-DLP and LCD projection offer big size, good picture, for less dough. There are bulb replacements, sweet spots, and narrow viewing angle. Cannot be wall mounted.

Something to think about for the new purchasers...
Govt. regulations will require all broadcasters to send digital signal instead of the current analog by Feb. 2009. This means that HD will be included, buy a TV with a built in HD tuner, you will not need an external box unless you want a Tivo or other DVR. Also, new models will be introduced to the public very soon, CES is this week.

FWIW: I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD flat panel with integrated HD tuner.

BrianM
01-09-2007, 10:49 AM
That does look like a very good deal, but prefer black trim. Also heard shipping plasma's can be risky. I'll assume when CC or BB get theirs it's by the pallet load vs an individual box.
My friend who just bought from them orders over $100k a year worth of stuff from B&H for the federal courts. Anything from plasmas to cameras. He said he has only once had anything arrive less than perfect and that they took care of it immediately no questions asked. I would have no problems ordering from them.

BrianM
01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
You want BIG wait until this summer! 108"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/01/09/ces.tvs.ap/index.html

#47of100TeamMC
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
It seems a little strange that the price of the TV goes up exponentially with the size of the screen. I mean, for instance. Panasonics 42" plasma screen sells for around $1200.00 Then a 50" Panasonic plasma is around $2-3k. a 58" Panasonic plasma is around $3200-$3800. THEN why the HUGE jump? a 65" Panasomic plasma is about $8000.00 Then you go to a 103" and its $70,000.00? You'd think the exponent would stay the same. I realise a lot of this change when you get past a certian size. I'm sure assembly is different because it's soo big. shipping costs. It just seems crazily High.

Anyway, I'm also in the market for a new TV still about 6-9months away from purchasing, (and finishing the basement so i have a home for it) I was leaning towards the Large Plasma. Probably the 58" since the jump to a 65" and higher is astronomical. More plasma because of the Higher speed rendering capability when dealing with action shots like football, auto racing, etc. But sounds like LCD is coming around. and the cost is a little easier to swallow as well. back to searching and doing more research...

mitch
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Went to BB today and the Plasma's just seem to look better that the LCD's. Wish I was loaded, Pioneer Elite all the way!!!!!!

Mag_Red
01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
It seems a little strange that the price of the TV goes up exponentially with the size of the screen. I mean, for instance. Panasonics 42" plasma screen sells for around $1200.00 Then a 50" Panasonic plasma is around $2-3k. a 58" Panasonic plasma is around $3200-$3800. THEN why the HUGE jump? a 65" Panasomic plasma is about $8000.00 Then you go to a 103" and its $70,000.00? You'd think the exponent would stay the same. I realise a lot of this change when you get past a certian size. I'm sure assembly is different because it's soo big. shipping costs. It just seems crazily High.

.It's sort of like the price of boats. My 21' cost around 40,000. Buy a 37' Formula, and it's around $300,000. Go up to the 70' Viking cruiser and expect to spend 1.5- 3 Million. It's just crazy!!

Leroy
01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
It used to be:
the yield falls off as the screen size gets bigger
they do not sell as many bigger screens
the area increases a lot
people that want the bigger will pay the price
everyone looks at this segment to make "their margin"

Anyway, I'm also in the market for a new TV still about 6-9months away from purchasing, (and finishing the basement so i have a home for it) I was leaning towards the Large Plasma. Probably the 58" since the jump to a 65" and higher is astronomical. More plasma because of the Higher speed rendering capability when dealing with action shots like football, auto racing, etc. But sounds like LCD is coming around. and the cost is a little easier to swallow as well. back to searching and doing more research...

tex
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Leroy
01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm also a big DLP fan.

Just hope the bulbs don't pop and you can get replacements when they go bad.

mitch
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Consulted a buddy of mine, who got a Pioneer Elite 50" a few years back. Prolly the best A/V guy I know...and based on what he said, I'm going to concentrate on LCD. Room has 6 large windows and 6 skylites.

Thoght his comments might be of interest

TV stuff: OK, my understanding is 720p and 1080i are essentially the same thing which my TV supports. the "p" stands for progressive scan and the "i" stands for interlaced. The new TV's have come out with 1080p which is supposed to be better than 1080i but a friend who bought a TV at Christmas time did a side by side 1080i/1080p and could not tell the difference. I think it's a ploy to keep prices inflated for now... Ok, as far as LCD or plasma? I always answer that with the 2 questions: what do you watch the most? Where will the TV be installed. If you watch a lot of movies, plasma is most definitely the way to go. Plasma has deeper blacks and color contrasts but if the TV is in a brightly lit room ....sunlight. lots of windows..like your game room ;) then LCD will be better for that application. Also note: viewing angles are not as much of an issue with plasma as they are with LCD. If sports is all you watch and the room is bright with direct viewing then LCD is the way to go. LCD has made great progress with richness of color and refresh rates but the prices are higher than plasma in the 42+ market.

TX.X-30 fan
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
so did you send the samsung to the graveyard??? I was pretty happy with my 2nd gen samsung dlp 50" until the bottom corners started to show some strange shadowing, almost like there is some separation in the screen ... it is not that noticable, but like you, for the price paid a few years ago in 2003, I am not thrilled ... supposedly I can have a new screen put in, but the only "authorized" samsung repair place is in seattle 250 miles away, otherwise I have loved the picture quality

The story on my dlp was probably the dmd board, part was 875.00, or the light engine 1,750.00 with no labor. Same tv new is 1,400-1,500 so it makes the unit a very large paper weight. :( In my opinion anything goes out on a dlp other than the bulb its history.

prostar205
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Consulted a buddy of mine, who got a Pioneer Elite 50" a few years back. Prolly the best A/V guy I know...and based on what he said, I'm going to concentrate on LCD. Room has 6 large windows and 6 skylites.

Thoght his comments might be of interest

TV stuff: OK, my understanding is 720p and 1080i are essentially the same thing which my TV supports. the "p" stands for progressive scan and the "i" stands for interlaced. The new TV's have come out with 1080p which is supposed to be better than 1080i but a friend who bought a TV at Christmas time did a side by side 1080i/1080p and could not tell the difference. I think it's a ploy to keep prices inflated for now... Ok, as far as LCD or plasma? I always answer that with the 2 questions: what do you watch the most? Where will the TV be installed. If you watch a lot of movies, plasma is most definitely the way to go. Plasma has deeper blacks and color contrasts but if the TV is in a brightly lit room ....sunlight. lots of windows..like your game room ;) then LCD will be better for that application. Also note: viewing angles are not as much of an issue with plasma as they are with LCD. If sports is all you watch and the room is bright with direct viewing then LCD is the way to go. LCD has made great progress with richness of color and refresh rates but the prices are higher than plasma in the 42+ market.

I am in the market for a flat panel HDTV and here is what I have learned.

1) LCD is better when in a room with alot of ambient light.
2) The newer LCDs have very good viewing angles (176 deg. on the Sharp AQUOS LCDs)
3) 1080p has native resolution of 1920x1080. However, there are no TV stations broadcasting in 1080p resolution and there is no plan for them to in the future.
4) 1080p TVs are only good when using a BlueRay or HD DVD player - that is where you will see the benefits of 1080p.
5) Plasma's are heavier and require more power when compared to the same sized LCD TVs.

For me, I am going with the Sharp Aquos 52" LCD. It will be going over my fireplace.

TX.X-30 fan
01-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Thought his comments might be of interest

The reason your buddy could not tell the difference, I assume both TVs were playing the same signal 1080i. The reason I say that is because the only 1080p out there is blue ray (hd DVD will be 1080p with the new Toshiba that just got released). Also 1080p is only available through the hdmi outputs on these 1080p sets. Most mass market places have their sets hooked up with the component outputs. If you see a blue ray display check out the connection it will be hdmi (or they screwed up). Component cables highest resolution is 720p/1080i. I have a 1080p set as I stated earlier but have yet to see any 1080p material on it.

canadianskier
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
hey guys alot of good info for me since I`am looking at t.v.s right now. Iam just wondering what price you guys pay down there for such said tv, be it LCD plasma or DLP. Iam looking at a 46" sonyDLP for $13500+tax. Hitachi plasma 42" $2299+tax. or some kind of sony bravia $2000and up. Will more than likely go with the 46" sonyDLP, biggest picture with the cheapest price.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2007, 08:50 AM
hey guys alot of good info for me since I`am looking at t.v.s right now. Iam just wondering what price you guys pay down there for such said tv, be it LCD plasma or DLP. Iam looking at a 46" sonyDLP for $13500+tax. Hitachi plasma 42" $2299+tax. or some kind of sony bravia $2000and up. Will more than likely go with the 46" sonyDLP, biggest picture with the cheapest price.
I am not sure if Canadian math is the same as US math..but $13,500 SonyDLP seems to be the highest price in your list to me......;)

TX.X-30 fan
01-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Sony makes one called SXRD the prices on those have dropped a lot. I think well under 2,000 for the 50" range. Looked at plasma then read some on avs forum sounded like one really has to baby the things to prevent burn-in. Some channels have their logo's in the corners now, and from what i read those things burn into the screen. :mad:

NORTHERN LIGHTS
01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
got a plasma. a dlp, and a vizio liquid crystal? don't no much bout much but....1- dlp 2-liquid crystal-3 plasma thats how i rank em for whats its worth. talking pure clarity and brilliance etc...

M-Funf
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm hoping somebody can help me out with this one...

So, the wife wants to get a flat screen, hide the audio components in a cabinet, and streamline the whole thing...

I'm looking at the Panicsonic TH-50PX6U 50" HDTV. I can get it at Costco, which is good because their price is lowest, and they have an awesome return policy...oops, got sidetracked.

My wife wants to place the screen over the mantle (no actual fireplace, just decorative), and put all the audio components in the next room in a cabinet. I've found several IR extender units so I can still use IR remotes with the components hidden behind a solid door.

The question is: How far away from the components (DVD, specifically) can I place the HDTV without compromising/degrading the signal? I think once I go under the house, across to the room where the TV is, and up the wall, I'm looking at under 30'.

Does it make a difference which input (HDMI, Composite, Component, etc.) I use over that distance???

Need help...technically challenged here :o

prostar205
01-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Yet another issue to bring into the mix.

Read on...this is from this weeks CES conference.

Today's LCD flat panels are already obsolete

CES 007 Hold your horses
By Burt Carverpage_controls/Noramads@theinquirer.net: Thursday 11 January 2007, 09:27
ONE OF THE overriding themes at CES has been the dramatic improvements in LCD panel technology.
Every major manufacturer has introduced a 120Hz model, along with claimed improvements in contrast, colour reproduction, and noise reduction. Each of these innovations is striking, but when combined in one year they make for a dramatic change in the performance of LCD panels.
The 120Hz overscan virtually eliminates the motion blurring that occured on 60Hz LCD models. In scenarios where the content is panning there is a dramatic benefit from having the additional frame generated.
Colour reproduction has increased from 8 bit to anywhere from 10 bit to 14 bit. One of the key criticisms of LCD panels has been the reduced colour gamut that they could display.
Finally, improvements in handling noisy source content have completed the trifecta for most manufacturers. Where does this leave the millions of people out there who have purchased a flat panel LCD? The gradual improvements that occured in tube technology meant that CRT televisions had a reasonable shelf life. With the rapid advances in LCD panels, much like the desktop industry, the panel you bought yesterday is rendered obsolete today.
For those people interested in acquiring a flat panel LCD, the technology announced at CES will be filtering into retail over the next six months. Waiting a bit for this technology will is a great idea. Until the same thing happens next year at CES.

TX.X-30 fan
01-12-2007, 02:57 PM

CES 007 Hold your horses
By Burt Carverpage_controls/Noramads@theinquirer.net: Thursday 11 January 2007, 09:27
ONE OF THE overriding themes at CES has been the dramatic improvements in LCD panel technology.
Every major manufacturer has introduced a 120Hz model, along with claimed improvements in contrast, colour reproduction, and noise reduction. Each of these innovations is striking, but when combined in one year they make for a dramatic change in the performance of LCD panels.
The 120Hz overscan virtually eliminates the motion blurring that occured on 60Hz LCD models. In scenarios where the content is panning there is a dramatic benefit from having the additional frame generated.
Colour reproduction has increased from 8 bit to anywhere from 10 bit to 14 bit. One of the key criticisms of LCD panels has been the reduced colour gamut that they could display.
Finally, improvements in handling noisy source content have completed the trifecta for most manufacturers. Where does this leave the millions of people out there who have purchased a flat panel LCD? The gradual improvements that occured in tube technology meant that CRT televisions had a reasonable shelf life. With the rapid advances in LCD panels, much like the desktop industry, the panel you bought yesterday is rendered obsolete today.
For those people interested in acquiring a flat panel LCD, the technology announced at CES will be filtering into retail over the next six months. Waiting a bit for this technology will is a great idea. Until the same thing happens next year at CES.

Thanks prostar205 :( :(

( For sale used 46" lcd 1 month old low hrs.) :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM

So, the wife wants to get a flat screen, hide the audio components in a cabinet, and streamline the whole thing...

I'm looking at the Panicsonic TH-50PX6U 50" HDTV. I can get it at Costco, which is good because their price is lowest, and they have an awesome return policy...oops, got sidetracked.

My wife wants to place the screen over the mantle (no actual fireplace, just decorative), and put all the audio components in the next room in a cabinet. I've found several IR extender units so I can still use IR remotes with the components hidden behind a solid door.

The question is: How far away from the components (DVD, specifically) can I place the HDTV without compromising/degrading the signal? I think once I go under the house, across to the room where the TV is, and up the wall, I'm looking at under 30'.

Does it make a difference which input (HDMI, Composite, Component, etc.) I use over that distance???

I think your fine with all of those at 30' hdmi has some issues at 50', from some of the stuff I have read. Which is better you on your back under the house, or me on my belly in the attic???? 8p 8p

M-Funf
01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I think your fine with all of those at 30' hdmi has some issues at 50', from some of the stuff I have read. Which is better you on your back under the house, or me on my belly in the attic???? 8p 8p

I don't know about your house, but I'll just be walkin around in my basement :D

Good luck on your belly in the attic, though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info...

TX.X-30 fan
01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know about your house, but I'll just be walkin around in my basement :D

Good luck on your belly in the attic, though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info...

Damn Yankee's :rant: :rant: (why dont you tell me its got ac & heat too)

mitch
01-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Trouble is the latest and greatest is always way out of my price range. I can't afford the 1080P's now.

Just bought this one yesterday for $1199.99. The place I got it from price matched CC, who was out of stock. Pick it up Tuesday, can't wait!! 40" should be perfect for my gameroom. I've got a newer 55" DLP if I get a hankering for size.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7682527&st=LN-S4041D&type=product&id=1134703182017

CES 007 Hold your horses

JohnE
01-13-2007, 10:40 AM

I do about 10 - 20AV installs a year. Not a ton, but enough to have some experience. We buy 50' hdmi cables CL3 rated for use in wall. Also 66' hdmi cables. We make our own custom component cables also CL3 rated for use in wall. Any cables run in the wall are supposed to be either CL3 or CL2 rated, including speaker wiring. Don't just use the zip cord. The distance will not be detrimental to your install.

As someone already posted, the hdmi will only be beneficial for a blue ray or hd dvd, as nothing else is sending 1080p. Although hdmi is for both audio and video signals so it may be something to consider even if you are not playing anything with 1080p output. Especially if you are using the speakers on the plasm. And use a cat 5 cable in the wall for the IR. And make sure you use a "plasma proof" IR receiver. The standard IR receiver will get interference from the plasma.

Wht other equipment will you be running? Are you running surround sound in the room, or using speakers built into the plasma?

mitch
01-13-2007, 12:32 PM
slight threadjack:

John, re: HDMI cables. I need a 10' one for my install, going from a 1080i upconvert DVD player to the back of my 768P LCD panel

Is something like this bad, or do I need to spend 75 bucks on a better cable? thx!

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-3M-FOR-HDTV-HDMI-to-HDMI-Cable-HDMI-HDMI-PREMIUM_W0QQitemZ160073559424QQihZ006QQcategoryZ61 395QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tex
01-13-2007, 12:52 PM

http://search.itsthemirrors.com/default.aspx

Leroy
01-13-2007, 12:57 PM
John; I would like to ask a question, do you use any test equipment to do your installs? I work for JDSU and we have instruments for home installations. Doing anything with MOCA yet?

I do about 10 - 20AV installs a year. Not a ton, but enough to have some experience. We buy 50' hdmi cables CL3 rated for use in wall. Also 66' hdmi cables. We make our own custom component cables also CL3 rated for use in wall. Any cables run in the wall are supposed to be either CL3 or CL2 rated, including speaker wiring. Don't just use the zip cord. The distance will not be detrimental to your install.

As someone already posted, the hdmi will only be beneficial for a blue ray or hd dvd, as nothing else is sending 1080p. Although hdmi is for both audio and video signals so it may be something to consider even if you are not playing anything with 1080p output. Especially if you are using the speakers on the plasm. And use a cat 5 cable in the wall for the IR. And make sure you use a "plasma proof" IR receiver. The standard IR receiver will get interference from the plasma.

Wht other equipment will you be running? Are you running surround sound in the room, or using speakers built into the plasma?

JohnE
01-13-2007, 03:18 PM
slight threadjack:

John, re: HDMI cables. I need a 10' one for my install, going from a 1080i upconvert DVD player to the back of my 768P LCD panel

Is something like this bad, or do I need to spend 75 bucks on a better cable? thx!

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-3M-FOR-HDTV-HDMI-to-HDMI-Cable-HDMI-HDMI-PREMIUM_W0QQitemZ160073559424QQihZ006QQcategoryZ61 395QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm betting you get what you pay for in this case. I pay about $30 for short hdmi cable. Which would retail for $50 - $60. I'd equate it with the cheesy red, white, yellow and red, green, blue cables that come with a dvd player. But for $3.00 or so, why not try it.

JohnE
01-13-2007, 03:29 PM
By the way if anyone is considering buying dlp take look at a JVC HD-ILA first. The picture is better than any other display I've seen.

ski_king
01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Somebody may have already posted this....
I like this one (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3Cwbr%20target=_blank%3EINTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDL70XBR3&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_Full_HD_1080_Flat_Panel)

ski_king
01-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Cable guy told wife our old 35 in tube set is going bad and she wants me to buy a big new LCD TV instead of a new mower/tractor.

I said good idea if she agrees to push mow the yard.

TX.X-30 fan
01-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Somebody may have already posted this....
I like this one (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3Cwbr%20target=_blank%3EINTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDL70XBR3&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_Full_HD_1080_Flat_Panel)

Thats sweet I'll take (2). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tex
01-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Studies have shown that an amazing amount of people but plasma and don't hang them...Buy DLP!

T Scott
01-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone ever heard of or purchased a Vizio? I saw this one at Sams Club this evening for $1799. I am not apposed to getting a more popular brand, but the reviews I read on this make it seem like a pretty good value.

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=5

Maristar210
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Anyone ever heard of or purchased a Vizio? I saw this one at Sams Club this evening for $1799. I am not apposed to getting a more popular brand, but the reviews I read on this make it seem like a pretty good value.

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=5

Tom,

I just read an article about Vizio in Consumer Reports and it was near the bottom for repairs and returns. Just FYI not sure how true it is...

T Scott
01-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Tom,

I just read an article about Vizio in Consumer Reports and it was near the bottom for repairs and returns. Just FYI not sure how true it is...

I need a bit of clarification.....When you say "bottom" does that mean low number of returns and repairs, or "bottom" of the list for reliability? Sorry.....I'm a little slow.

ski_king
01-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I know someone who got a Visio 35 in. from Sams for $700 and love it.

mitch
01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Checked out Vizio LCD's before I bought mine yesterday. Not bad but they looked a little grainey to me.

Farmer Ted
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm betting you get what you pay for in this case. I pay about $30 for short hdmi cable. Which would retail for $50 - $60. I'd equate it with the cheesy red, white, yellow and red, green, blue cables that come with a dvd player. But for $3.00 or so, why not try it.

But the HDMI cable passes a digital signal, so it's either there or it's not....

correct?

is this cable junk?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=2526&seq=1&format=2&style=

and this one is great?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6826027&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat69400050020&id=1091101681462

mitch
01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Checked out Vizio LCD's before I bought mine yesterday. Not bad but they looked a little grainey to me.

The Vizio LCD was rated very good for the money in Jan/07 Home Theater mag

JimN
01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Ski_King- find out exactly what is wrong with it. Some repairs are actually very cheap. The shop may not want to do it because they won't make any money but the 35" tube will give you a better picture than another type of set, at the same resolution. CRTs are better for black level, if they're tweaked right.

atlfootr
01-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Today, my wife and I spent a minium of 4 hrs @ Best Buy :)
Honestly I'm not a huge fan when it comes to shopp'n, but in this case if was a little different and w/ good reason.

We're in the market for a new TV :D
I've narrowed it down to (2) different brands.
Toshiba TheaterWide 50" Plasma HDTV
Model: 50HP66

Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV
Model: TH-50PX60U Hoping someone out there in "TT MCBoardsville" has some knowledgable imput or even better may already own either one of these 8p

tex
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Today, my wife and I spent a minium of 4 hrs @ Best Buy :)
Honestly I'm not a huge fan when it comes to shopp'n, but in this case if was a little different and w/ good reason.

We're in the market for a new TV :D
I've narrowed it down to (2) different brands.
Toshiba TheaterWide 50" Plasma HDTV
Model: 50HP66

Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV
Model: TH-50PX60U Hoping someone out there in "TT MCBoardsville" has some knowledgable imput or even better may already own either one of these 8p
Are you hanging it on the wall?

atlfootr
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
No wall hanging, this baby's go'n inside our entertainment center.

tex
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
If you're not hanging....Buy DLP! It's amazing, it's the mirrors!

atlfootr
01-28-2007, 10:52 PM
If you're not hanging....Buy DLP! It's amazing, it's the mirrors!Digital Light Processing (DLP) differs from the others :confused:
I found a really good site from Samsung, explain'n the many differences in types.
http://www.samsung.com/products/tv/index.asp

tex
01-28-2007, 11:06 PM
http://www.itsthemirrors.com/
http://www.dlp.com/
http://www.dlp.com/racing/

JohnE
01-29-2007, 08:20 AM
If you are considering DLP, do yourself a favor and check out the JVC HD-ILA. Best picture, period.

I sold the panasonic unit mentioned in post # 85 a few weeks ago. There is a $100 rebate if bought from a reseller. (Someone like me) Also a free 5 year factory warranty if bought and paperwork submitted by the end of this month. And it is a very good unit.

One nice feature of some of the Toshiba's is that they have a built in IR emitter.

With all that said, I still second the motion that if it is not being hung, don't go plasma or LCD. Go HD-ILA or DLP. I've also sold quite a few Samsung DLP's and they are a very nice unit.

atlfootr
01-29-2007, 09:16 AM
The other issue is gaming. If you're a video gamer, you don't want plasma.I am, somewhat of a gamer.
So why is it, that I don't want Plasma :confused:

BrianM
01-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I am, somewhat of a gamer.
So why is it, that I don't want Plasma :confused:

Screen burn in.

BriEOD
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
In the market--any thought?

JimN
09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Screen burn in.

That's far less of a problem than before. Also, if the plasma has a technician mode, using the white balance function will remove all evidence of burn-in.

JimN
09-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Digital Light Processing (DLP) differs from the others :confused:
I found a really good site from Samsung, explain'n the many differences in types.
http://www.samsung.com/products/tv/index.asp

Why would Samsung not say that what they make is the best?

DLP has a rainbow effect that's really annoying to some people. Once it's noticed, it's always there and can't be ignored.

georgea0731
09-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Good luck, if I had the money I'd get one or the Sony XBR 9.

maristarman
09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
is the way to go....

BriEOD
09-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm leaning DLP because the room it will be in has a lot of light (big bay window). It is my understanding Plasmas don't perform as well with glare.

BriEOD
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Good luck, if I had the money I'd get one or the Sony XBR 9.

Looks cool--particularly the Internet feature.

jclose8
09-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm leaning DLP because the room it will be in has a lot of light (big bay window). It is my understanding Plasmas don't perform as well with glare.

LCD's are supposed to perform really well in lighted areas. Very little glare. My home theater room is in the basement and has no windows, so I went with Plasma. LG 50PS60. Very pleased.

If I were getting a TV for a room with windows, I'd definitely go with LCD. The consensus top brands seem to be Panasonic and Samsung, but there are tons of really good ones.

Pioneer Elite makes some incredible stuff, but for my money they aren't "double the price" better....

JimN
09-13-2009, 10:11 AM

One thing to check for is how the black looks when the contrast or brightness are turned up and both need to be adjusted when the ambient light level is high. If the black is washed out, it won't look good regardless of whether it's a plasma, LCD, DLP or any other kind. The Pioneer Kuro is the best I have ever seen. Unfortunately, they couldn't make money by trying to compete at lower price levels even with someone else making the glass.

shepherd
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
We just bought a 58" Samsung plasma. It looks really good so far and I haven't even gotten the HD upgrade on my cable package yet. I can't wait to see the HD channels on this thing. :)

My old TV had the Component video connection cables from the DVD player and that's what I'm using now on the new plasma TV. No complaints, but would HDMI cable be any better? Would it be worth the $70+ investment to buy an HDMI cable for the new TV?

shaun315
01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
We just bought a 58" Samsung plasma. It looks really good so far and I haven't even gotten the HD upgrade on my cable package yet. I can't wait to see the HD channels on this thing. :)

My old TV had the Component video connection cables from the DVD player and that's what I'm using now on the new plasma TV. No complaints, but would HDMI cable be any better? Would it be worth the $70+ investment to buy an HDMI cable for the new TV?

Might be better if you have a good DVD player, but since HDMI is digital, cheap cables work just as well as the $70 versions. Check out newegg.com for cheap HDMI cables...

shaun315
01-25-2010, 11:03 PM
and by cheap I mean $9 for a 6ft. and $15 for 15ft

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119253

JimN
01-25-2010, 11:26 PM

Most regular DVDs are at 480 or 720 resolution and BluRay can up-convert those to higher resolution, although how well it looks is up to how they recorded it. Component can go up to 1080i and some things can actually look better that way than 1080p. The standard def cable channels usually don't look great on a HD TV.

No, you don't need to spend $70 on the cable. Monoprice, Newegg and other places sell them for much less.

east tx skier
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
In the market--any thought?

Talk to me about my Samsung 55" LED backlit LCD.

vision
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Might be better if you have a good DVD player, but since HDMI is digital, cheap cables work just as well as the $70 versions. Check out newegg.com for cheap HDMI cables...

I second that. I have both expensive and inexpensive ($10 vs $70) HDMI cables. I can tell no difference.

shepherd
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you. I'll grab a cheap HDMI cable and check it out. I can always keep the component cables with the old TV. I just saw a $70 HDMI cable at Best Buy and assumed they were all that expensive. :o

JimN
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Thank you. I'll grab a cheap HDMI cable and check it out. I can always keep the component cables with the old TV. I just saw a $70 HDMI cable at Best Buy and assumed they were all that expensive. :o

Actually, they're not all so expensive. Munster Cables and AudioQuest are two of teh worst offenders I can think of and Best Buy's Rocketfish is right there with them. I saw a quote for an 8m Rocketfish HDMI cable for the low, low price of $170. Get the cheap one- if it works, great and if not, return it so you can get a different one. I haven't bought from Monoprice.com or Newegg but I read good things about them all the time.

Willski
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I got my HDMI cable free from the cable company! I just bought a 42" panasonic plasma. It is awesome. I think you probably can't go wrong with plasma, lcd or led right now, but I got my plasma for $699. A good friend of mine works for a high end installer of home theaters and they have been doing a lot of plasmas, so he talked me into it.

TMCNo1
01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I got my HDMI cable free from the cable company! I just bought a 42" panasonic plasma. It is awesome. I think you probably can't go wrong with plasma, lcd or led right now, but I got my plasma for $699.

We got the Panasonic 42" Plazma on Monday after Christmas from Best Buy and got it for $638 including tax and now Gene hates me. When we had the new HDMI cable box installed, the cable company hooked it up with their HDMI cables that they brought.

broncotw
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
The Sony Bravia XBR LCD 52"! The BEST TV made! You will NOT find another TV with a better period!

JimN
01-26-2010, 10:47 PM
The Sony Bravia XBR LCD 52"! The BEST TV made! You will NOT find another TV with a better period!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sony doesn't make their own display panels- Samsung does.

If you can, go and look at a Pioneer Kuro.

bbymgr
01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sony doesn't make their own display panels- Samsung does.

If you can, go and look at a Pioneer Kuro.

I'll second that. The Pioneer Kuro is the top IMHO.

east tx skier
01-26-2010, 11:36 PM

Make sure they are HDMI 1.3 compatible. I picked up a ton of them when I redid my home theater and a few turned out to be earlier renditions. Most of the time, things were fine, but the non 1.3 compatible cables crapped out on the uncompressed audio. $3 later, new cables, problem solved. The cheap ones are fine.

mitch
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM

I'll take a high end Samsung over vs an = Sony every time.....

JimN
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll take a high end Samsung over vs an = Sony every time.....

You won't find a Sony that's exactly = to a Samsung high end model because Samsung doesn't sell their best panels to anyone else.

That said, unless at least two different TVs are in a position to be compared or tested objectively, this is just a pissing contest. If someone likes the way a TV looks, they should buy it. If not, they should look some more.

Covi
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I watch a brand new Sony 46" XBR 9. This is not just your average LCD TV. Many, many other features. You will not get the full benefit unless HDMI cables and HD networking is set up. Also for more features than you know what to do with it does need to be hooked up to a network. The picture quality is simply the best when watching a true HD 1080 broadcast event.

capnkirk52
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow. I expected better info from this site.

PLASMA crushes LCD in every aspect except power consumption. Just buy a Kuro or a Panasonic G or V series and be done with it. That is the only thing that JIM N has said that makes any sense on this thread.

If you have more than 100" of space. Check out the Panasonic PT AE-4000U projector. I just put one up with a 106" screen and It is equal to my plasma. The features on this thing are amazing. I do all my gaming, and Blu-Ray and football watching on this.

Remember PLASMA will give you the best picture every single time!!! Why do you think they have to crank their LCD's up to 240hz and show you the same frame 4 times for motion blur?? TV is shot in 60 hz format.

Jim@BAWS
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM

I have the 46...LOVE IT. Had 20+ TVS lined up side by side. LCD is the way to go

A good place to review TVs is at Sams also

Jim@BAWS

vision
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I second capnkirk52's suggest of the Panasonic AE 4000U. We have been exceptionally pleased with ours.

However, I would not down play the power consumption differences between a plasma and an LCD and more strikingly an OLED. Plasmas are freaking ovens that suck power and happen to have a great picture.

bbymgr
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
A word of warning to those of you who like to go compare the pictures on site,..... they don't all get the same quality of feed. When I worked for Best Buy, they would put the "A" feeds into the models that the Company was focused on. Usually this was the higher margin models, but sometimes it would be brand specific or advertisement specific. "B" feeds were put into the low end models that got people in the door. I don't know if other Companies use this tactic, but it wouldn't surprise me.

JimN
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Wow. I expected better info from this site.

PLASMA crushes LCD in every aspect except power consumption. Just buy a Kuro or a Panasonic G or V series and be done with it. That is the only thing that JIM N has said that makes any sense on this thread.

If you have more than 100" of space. Check out the Panasonic PT AE-4000U projector. I just put one up with a 106" screen and It is equal to my plasma. The features on this thing are amazing. I do all my gaming, and Blu-Ray and football watching on this.

Remember PLASMA will give you the best picture every single time!!! Why do you think they have to crank their LCD's up to 240hz and show you the same frame 4 times for motion blur?? TV is shot in 60 hz format.

What? EVERYTHING I posted makes sense. Well, at least, to me. :D

Electronically recorded video is shot at 60fps (fields/sec, 30 for luminance and 30 for chrominance) but film is at 24fps and that's one of the areas of conflict between a screen's resolution and the source. The frequency of one doesn't necessarily match that of the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_television

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP_TV

JimN
01-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I second capnkirk52's suggest of the Panasonic AE 4000U. We have been exceptionally pleased with ours.

However, I would not down play the power consumption differences between a plasma and an LCD and more strikingly an OLED. Plasmas are freaking ovens that suck power and happen to have a great picture.

Got a recommendation for a 50" OLED? Not likely- it's not ready for that, yet.

capnkirk52
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
What? EVERYTHING I posted makes sense. Well, at least, to me. :D

Electronically recorded video is shot at 60fps (fields/sec, 30 for luminance and 30 for chrominance) but film is at 24fps and that's one of the areas of conflict between a screen's resolution and the source. The frequency of one doesn't necessarily match that of the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_television

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP_TV

I understand what you're saying about film. I guess I didn't read in the thread where people were specifically talking about 24p. All new tv's will support 24/96p. The Plasma just looks ten times better doing it and doing it at a lower cost. LCD tv's on digital TV do not look as good as a Plasma. Motion blur is bad on an LCD while there is no blur on the Plasma.

I didn't read any of your links because Wikipedia is not very reliable. Any jerk can put anything on there that they want haha.:)

capnkirk52
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Isn't this thing the best way to watch anything? How big is your screen? I love playing COD on a 100+ inch screen.

east tx skier
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I understand what you're saying about film. I guess I didn't read in the thread where people were specifically talking about 24p. All new tv's will support 24/96p. The Plasma just looks ten times better doing it and doing it at a lower cost. LCD tv's on digital TV do not look as good as a Plasma. Motion blur is bad on an LCD while there is no blur on the Plasma.

I didn't read any of your links because Wikipedia is not very reliable. Any jerk can put anything on there that they want haha.:)

I've looked at a lot of plasma tv's. I suppose there may be some with a better picture than mine. But I'm watching a nice bluray disc on my Samsung LN55A950. The picture is absolutely gorgeous with a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. My satellite box puts out more heat than this tv t'boot. I think 10x better is quite a stretch on picture quality. Maybe a little better. Maybe equal. But I'm not giving much more than that. Image blur has not been an issue. I have a long room. So viewing angle is a non issue as well.

JimN
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM

I don't think anyone specifically mentioned 24f but I thought I would throw it in there for informational purposes. As far as Wiki, it's not always accurate but when independent industry sources are used, it's pretty reliable. Depends on the subject.

JimN
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I've looked at a lot of plasma tv's. I suppose there may be some with a better picture than mine. But I'm watching a nice bluray disc on my Samsung LN55A950. The picture is absolutely gorgeous with a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. My satellite box puts out more heat than this tv t'boot. I think 10x better is quite a stretch on picture quality. Maybe a little better. Maybe equal. But I'm not giving much more than that. Image blur has not been an issue. I have a long room. So viewing angle is a non issue as well.

As I said before, if it looks good to the buyer, that's what counts. Most of what are called "problems" aren't even visible unless they're pointed out or the person knows how to look for them so in that respect, they don't matter unless they're really obvious or if someone is doing objective testing.

I know I sit around on a Saturday evening looking for flaws when I put a test disc in, doesn't everybody?:rolleyes:

vision
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Isn't this thing the best way to watch anything? How big is your screen? I love playing COD on a 100+ inch screen.

Our screen is just over 100 inches. People come over and complain about motion sickness when viewing chase scenes in a movie! I hate forking out $250 to change the bulb, but it is worth it.

east tx skier
01-30-2010, 12:00 AM
As I said before, if it looks good to the buyer, that's what counts. Most of what are called "problems" aren't even visible unless they're pointed out or the person knows how to look for them so in that respect, they don't matter unless they're really obvious or if someone is doing objective testing.

I know I sit around on a Saturday evening looking for flaws when I put a test disc in, doesn't everybody?:rolleyes:

I've got a calibration disc I've never even used. I started with the cnet numbers and felt no need to adjust further. Probably should break out the calibration disc just for grins.

My only complaint about the TV is that the network software for streaming is pretty useless. I got it to link up to my desktop wirelessly (with a bridge). Pictures worked well enough, but pulling music was not happening. Will probably just pop some music on an 8 gig thumbdrive and plug it in that way. It's nice to be able to just pull it up on the TV with the remote.

May look into a boxee box at some point.

JimN
01-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I've got a calibration disc I've never even used. I started with the cnet numbers and felt no need to adjust further. Probably should break out the calibration disc just for grins.

My only complaint about the TV is that the network software for streaming is pretty useless. I got it to link up to my desktop wirelessly (with a bridge). Pictures worked well enough, but pulling music was not happening. Will probably just pop some music on an 8 gig thumbdrive and plug it in that way. It's nice to be able to just pull it up on the TV with the remote.

May look into a boxee box at some point.

Have you checked their website for updates? They may have some, since so many other brands are accessing online content and at some point, I think everyone will try to make theirs work well with it.

east tx skier
01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I think there is one, but the guys on the forum are not so keen on its ability to do the job. I've got an older desktop rigged up to it and I may work on reestablishing an itunes network. Boxee crashed on it (not enough memory on the machine). It's more of a movie room than a music room. The thumb drive in the tv's usb port works like a charm and is cheap.

JimN
01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I think there is one, but the guys on the forum are not so keen on its ability to do the job. I've got an older desktop rigged up to it and I may work on reestablishing an itunes network. Boxee crashed on it (not enough memory on the machine). It's more of a movie room than a music room. The thumb drive in the tv's usb port works like a charm and is cheap.

Did you mention which bridge you're using? I don't remember if it's D-Link, Netgear, or ?

It's getting to the point where a NAS and a router will be a common part of an A/V system.

east tx skier
01-30-2010, 04:24 PM
It's a linksys bridge and works fine. I just swapped it over to the satellite receiver when I got tired of messing with Samsung's wiselink and now use it to pull on demand video. Works fine. As plug and play as they come.

georgea0731
04-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I've been watching for a new TV. I was ready to settle for the B8000 model for $1800 at Best Buy a week ago, but they've since gone back up to $2K.
I stopped by Brandsmart tonight, a FL/GA store, and they have the 2009, b8500 listed for $1800+ and when I started talking to Eric to compare with new Sony EX700 both 240hz, etc. He said I could get it for only $1500. The original list was $3K just a year ago. CNET says its one of the best HDTVs even when comparing to the new models coming out. There is the new 3D models out which are also on sale; 46C7000 is $1878 or 46C8000 is $2230+/-.
I'm 99.99% sure I'll go ahead and get one of these 46B8500 which has PC, USB, etc. etc. for $1500! Someone said it can be software upgraded to 3D, but I don't believe it.
If you have or know of any reason NOT to buy, please call my cell and leave a message at
770 634 5437. If anyone near by wants one, let me know and I'll have Eric write up a ticket to hold it at this price, all I need is your phone number.
BTW my wife says our new TV must do streaming from laptop and this one will with a doogle, right? I'm wish my wife would go for the bigger 55 inch one.
I hope this will help someone. I've compared internet prices and the lowest I've found is $1850-$2K. THANKS in advance,

east tx skier
04-15-2010, 08:49 AM
For streaming, I haven't found anything that beats the PS3. I finally wised up and downloaded Tversity as my media streamer and it works like a charm. All the music, photos, and videos on our desktop are instantly available in the media room.

bobx1
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Was in Best Buy a few minutes ago and they showed me the 3D Samsung 55" and all I can say is WOW!!!! You really do fall back in your chair when things start flying at you.

The only dislikes are:

Goofy glasses BUT no options here
Cost of glasses ($200 each)
Proprietary nature of glasses (will not work with other manufacturer sets)
Lack of programming (but more is on the way)

BriEOD
06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I've been researching and shopping for about 3 months now and found what I think to be quite the deal at the most unlikely of places! My son and I went to a movie at the mall recently and post movie strolled into a Sony store located in the mall to see a TV I liked that I had been watching on Crutchfield.com. To make a long story short, I walked out of the Sony store with a 52" 1080p 120hz LED matte finished TV (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15852EX700/Sony-KDL-52EX700.html?tp=35945), 40" 1080 60 Hz LCD TV (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fzirvc4CqCY/p_15840EX400/Sony-KDL-40EX400.html), Blue Ray player with wifi and 4 year warranties on both TVs for $2300 total!! The 52" had been dropping on Crutchfield and had fallen to $2,000 but they had it in the Sony store for $1,500! The 40" LCD was a demo TV that had been in the window for about a month (now my bedroom TV). I got a 10% discount based on my employer and the kid who checked me out fat fingered the warranty price info in and when the manager came over to sort it out he agreed to honor the warranty prices presented to me (1/3 of the actual price). I'm very happy with my purchase and just know I got a hell of a deal!! That said, the last place I'd expect to get a deal is at a manufacturer's store.

east tx skier
06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Nice snag, Brian!

BriEOD
06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Thx Doug....................

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone see the 3d tv's yet? I can't see myself sitting all the time with cardboard shades on.

BriEOD
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Anyone see the 3d tv's yet? I can't see myself sitting all the time with cardboard shades on.

Yes, checked them out at BB. I wasn't overly impressed and they are pretty pricey. Plus, they are so new they are still working out the kinks. I believe Samsung and Panasonic have them.

dmartinski
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I recently mounted a 37" LCD Vizio over a fireplace it looks great! Just make sure that when you are buying a mount you get one that can at least allow the TV to angle downward, because when you are sitting you will be looking up at the TV. So you want the TV to be able to angle down so that you can get a more direct view of it. Allowing the TV to move a little also makes it a little easier to plug in your connections without having to take the entire TV off the wall every time you want to hook up a new DVD player or something.

I've never owned a Plasma, but from what I've seen of them I think that LCD pictures look better. I am very happy with Vizio LCD tvs. They are good quality for a good price.

Footin
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
I bought a Samsung 46" LCD 3 years and 2 months ago, now the power board or capacitors went bad, a known problem with this TV. I spoke with Samsung and will not do anything about it.

So much for buying the best the first time.

CantRepeat
09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I bought a Samsung 46" LCD 3 years and 2 months ago, now the power board or capacitors went bad, a known problem with this TV. I spoke with Samsung and will not do anything about it.

That seems to be a common theme for more manufactures then just Samsung.

I purchase a Sony Plasma bla bla bla 50 inch. The main power board went, then a couple other boards. This is one of the only times I ever purchased an extended warranty. After 3 attempts to repair the TV and parts on back order the warranty company offered to buy me a new TV, I said sure. Well then they offered two $700 720 dpi models to replace my $2000 1080. I had to talk to a few people that said I didn't have the choice to pick the replacement and that it was based on features. I gave them a line by line feature set and they still said no. I told them screw it, fix my old one then. They called back two days later and said they would refund the entire purchase price of my first set.

In the end, I got a new TV that was even better then my old set and still pocketed a couple of bucks.

JimN
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Best? No. Largest manufacturer? Yes. They make LCD screens for Sony and several other brands, keeping the best for themselves. The caps have been a problem for almost as long as you have owned that TV, but they didn't know exactly what was causing trouble until they looked at them under a microscope, seeing tiny holes in the dielectric.

Call a local TV shop that services these- you may be able to get it fixed for less than a couple of hundred bucks.

east tx skier
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM

What model, if you don't mind my asking. I have a 55" LED/LCD from that era.

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I just got a 47" recert vizio lcd from tiger for 479. Sale in store did not reflect online price. TV LOOKS great

jdl xstar
09-20-2011, 09:30 AM

:noface: Uh oh, I happen to have a Samsung 46/47? LCD that I got about 3 years ago also! Please share the model number if you get around to it.

blackcreek
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
I wrote this post on another board in December of 09 when my Samsung power supply blew out. If you own a soldering iron you can do a cheap fix. Just follow the instructions. TV works like a champ now with the larger Caps in the power supply. I do love the picture and I am pretty sure they have the problem fixed by now but Samsung did not do the right thing and admit they had a problem.....

I love my Samsung 46 inch tv......not so much
Great picture, thought I did all my research so I paid a little extra for a top notch picture. I loved the TV until three days ago when it quit turning on. Turns out the Samsung TV's are dropping like flies now. The set is 14 months old and Samsung told me to pack sand. They never heard of my problem, must be a fluke blah,blah,blah. So I did the google thing and quickly met thousands of new friends with the same problem. Google Samsung clicking, or samsung power supply and see what I mean. There is even a youtube video on the problem and how to fix it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHHrgX_6cs&feature=related

The local repair shops all wanted 400 to 500 bucks so I thought I would take a crack at it. Followed the video, pulled the circuit board and soldered in four new 1000uF 35 volt capacitors I got from radio shack for a whopping 10 bucks. TV works like a champ! The internet is the Library of Congress right in your house. Sent a thank you note to the youtube guy. So if you don't feel like doing some component board repair stay away from Samsung. Hopefully the larger Caps will do the trick and the TV will work for another 5 years or so.

If you were a kid growing up in the 60's you maybe owned a chemistry set and built a few radio shack radio kits.The walls of radio shack use to have tons of tubes,resistors, and component parts, not so much anymore. When I asked the young lady at Radio shack if they had any 1000 microfarad 25volt capacitors I got a blank stare. I found them in the back corner in a stack of small boxes. They did not have much of a selection but they did have four 35 volt ones which were close enough(maybe even better). My guess is people have been making a run on the things to fix their Samsung TV's so headquarters sent them to all the stores.

JimN
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
That seems to be a common theme for more manufactures then just Samsung.

I purchase a Sony Plasma bla bla bla 50 inch. The main power board went, then a couple other boards. This is one of the only times I ever purchased an extended warranty. After 3 attempts to repair the TV and parts on back order the warranty company offered to buy me a new TV, I said sure. Well then they offered two $700 720 dpi models to replace my $2000 1080. I had to talk to a few people that said I didn't have the choice to pick the replacement and that it was based on features. I gave them a line by line feature set and they still said no. I told them screw it, fix my old one then. They called back two days later and said they would refund the entire purchase price of my first set.

In the end, I got a new TV that was even better then my old set and still pocketed a couple of bucks.

Wanna guess who makes the display panels for Sony? Yup- Samsung.

gid
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I purchased a 60" Plasma LG off Amazon two weeks ago. It is a Smart Tv, its the way of the future. I received the TV, wall mount, two 3D glasses and Smart 3D Blue Ray player for $1600. Free shipping too. I really like the TV, the Smart function is great. The remote control is very simple just point it and the menus appear on the screen. 3D is nice but dont make it your top priority. Personally, I like Plasma over LCD any day.

Footin
09-20-2011, 06:39 PM
The model number of my tv is: LN46A550PF3

GOOD NEWS: I took it to a local repair shop this morning, they already called and said two of the four caps are bad. They recommend replacing all four, I agreed and told them to do the work. They just called again and said the tv is fixed.

Total bill: $140.00.

Samsung not stepping up and at least sharing in the repair: shamefull!

JimN
09-20-2011, 06:47 PM

GOOD NEWS: I took it to a local repair shop this morning, they already called and said two of the four caps are bad. They recommend replacing all four, I agreed and told them to do the work. They just called again and said the tv is fixed.

And the worst part? They have known about this ussie for over three years and it was because they went with cheap parts from China. That's what happens when a country like that is given Favored Trading Partner status.

Footin
09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
At least it is fixed.

I am now shopping for a LED 55" TV, will probably go with a Toshibia or Sharp, not a Samsung or Sony.

JimN
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
At least it is fixed.

I am now shopping for a LED 55" TV, will probably go with a Toshibia or Sharp, not a Samsung or Sony.

Have you looked at the Panasonic?

Footin
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes, and would consider a Panasonic also.

blackcreek
09-20-2011, 08:56 PM

That was a very good deal from the repair shop, I am sure they have better equipment and a lot more practice at fixing the circuit board. As for doing it myself I spent a day reading directions, pulling the TV apart, chasing down parts, then putting it all back together. I like doing that sort of thing to save a buck but for 140 clams I would drop it off at the TV shop and go boating.

CantRepeat
09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Wanna guess who makes the display panels for Sony? Yup- Samsung.

The display was not the issue. In fact the display was top notch. I loved it and would still be using it today if not for the power board issues.

CantRepeat
09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Have you looked at the Panasonic?

My new set is a Panasonic.

east tx skier
09-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Mine is a LN55A950. Seems like the lines are related (I remember the 550s), but no problems here yet. Hope my luck continues. Picture has been fantastic.

Xstreamws
09-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Panasonic all the way...... We have 1-42" and 1-54" Plasma you wont be disapointed.

DJ 50
09-21-2011, 04:31 AM

Sorry I didn't log on a read this post a couple of days ago. I have the LN46A650 and mine had been going bad for the last month. Three lines right across the middle of it everytime you turn it on. Last for about 15 min and then goes away and is fine till you turn it off. I'm guessing you had the same problem becasue that is the common problem that they were having with the sets that are 2-3 years old. I searched the web when this started happing and found SEVERAL people with the same type of samsung TV's around the same age. I believe someone already posted but it but I think it has something to do with the crappy capicitors or something to that nature. Anyway many people had the same results with Samsung with them saying nothing they could do because it's out of warranty. After much searching I found people who were gettting it fixed with Samsung for free and I followed there instructions last week and Samsung extended my parts and labor warranty and is covering the repair at no cost to me. I talked to the repair shop today and they needed some numbers from me to order parts and they will be out next week to fix it at my house. That shows how common a problem it is because they didn't even have to see it to know what needed to be replaced. Bottom line is this, go on there website and fill out a work order to get it fixed. The website even tells you at the bottom of the screen after you type in your serial numbers that the tv is out of warranty and you will be responsible for repairs. You will most likley get a call from a Samsung repairs shop by the next day. After you have the work order number you need to call (don't quote me on the name) the executive complaint department. They have a seperate complaint department for people who have open work orders. I called them they were very polite with me and I was very polite with them. Within 10 min of talking to them and telling them my problem and being placed on hold they informed me my parts and labor warranty was extended for 60 days and the repair shop would be calling to set up an appointment. I don't know why Samsung has two complaint departments and why one tells you to take a hike and the other fixes it right away. Either way it works. I'm not on my home computer so I don't have the links with me but if this is the problem that anyone is having with their samsung tv and you can't figure it out from what I have typed here, send me a message and I will find the links when I get home. I can even provide you with the name and direct number of the complaint guy I talked to who was so helpful and polite I actually took the time and asked to talk to his manager so I could give him props. Sorry for the long post but I know these TVs are not cheap and it seems to be a common problem.

gid
09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
At least it is fixed.

Look at the LG sets - I am very happy with mine

agarabaghi
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I came very close to upgrading this weekend on an impulse buy.

That 70" Sharp LED LCD looks nice, even though ive yet to see it in person haha....

I would be stepping up from a 52" Samsung LCD...

Has anyone seen the 70 in real life?

scott023
09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I came very close to upgrading this weekend on an impulse buy.

That 70" Sharp LED LCD looks nice, even though ive yet to see it in person haha....

I would be stepping up from a 52" Samsung LCD...

Has anyone seen the 70 in real life?

I saw that bad boy advertised this weekend as well. Certainly perked my interest in a new TV.

agarabaghi
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
It's not even that expensive... $2800 from Best Buy, $2500 on amazon for the non-3d version as i think 3d is retarded.

scott023
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Really? That's a lot less than I was expecting.

DemolitionMan
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
It's not even that expensive... $2800 from Best Buy, $2500 on amazon for the non-3d version as i think 3d is retarded.

I can't get into the 3d thing either.

ski_king
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I saw one of the 70" Sharp's at Sam',s Club last weekend. Looked good, but was too big for me.

3D does nothing for me either. It is just a fad and will fade soon.

DemolitionMan
09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+AQUOS+70%22+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/2047632.p?id=1218317000161&skuId=2047632

scott023
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I can't get into the 3d thing either.

X3. I really don't see the attraction to it at all.

scott023
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm told that the Sony KDL 60 NX720 is the way to go. The picture quality is far superior to the Sharp, only downside is the Sony has a glass finish and the Sharp has a matte panel, so the Sony has more glare than the Sharp.

Footin
09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I asked the guy at the repair shop what was the best LED tv nowadays. he said the LG's are a darn good one. He also said to stay away from the Samsungs now.

east tx skier
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Still loving my Samsung and hoping it continues to be trouble free. Sorry yours hasn't been, Footin. :o