PDA

View Full Version : Creative Turkey Techniques

sanjuan23
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Okay folks Turkey day is just around the corner. I was wondering about some alternative Turkey Techniques. We have about 25 family/friends coming to the house so I am looking for different ideas. I fried two birds last year and smoked one the year before. I am always looking for new suggestions to traditional meals.

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Although fried is a great alternative. We've had great sucess just roasting ours in the oven. Regular basting is a must. My mom's method is to put lots of vegetables in the pan beneath the bird, which she later runs through a mill to make the gravy. It's outstanding and I will miss it this year during our Thanksgiving in Mexico.

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I barbequed a turkey this weekend for a party we had. Rubbed the bird with butter, S&P, Sage, and Thyme. I trussed the wings and kept the wire on the legs. Put some onion and apple chunks in side the bird. Place the bird breast DOWN in a roasting pan. I put two cans of beer, more onions, and some butter in the bottom of the pan.

Heated the grill to 375F

In a saucepan, I made a basting concoction using a bottle Red Tail Ale from Mendocino Brewing Co., butter, S&P, thyme, and Sage. I kept this simmering on the side burner.

Grilled the bird for 1 hour breast down, then flipped it over and grilled for another 2.5 hours breast up, basting often. I would add water to the pan if it got too low. Once the basting concoction was all gone, I basted the bird for the last hour or so with the drippings in the pan.

Thermometer read 165F in deep breast, and almost 170F in the leg. The skin was a nice dark brown crunchy skin :love:

I let it rest for about 20 minutes. I was full by the time I had finished carving (plus I got all the best parts 8p )

People at the party were commenting that it was one of the moistest birds they had ever had...so I got that going for me...which is nice ;)

playtherapy
11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Try to "brine" the bird. You can get lots of recipes on foodtv.com for brining a bird. Adds flavor and is really moist.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I am thinking of TWO options!

1. Stuffing the turkey with Pasty filling:D

2. Making a huge pastie with the turkey and potatoes inside!:D

sanjuan23
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I barbequed a turkey this weekend for a party we had. Rubbed the bird with butter, S&P, Sage, and Thyme. I trussed the wings and kept the wire on the legs. Put some onion and apple chunks in side the bird. Place the bird breast DOWN in a roasting pan. I put two cans of beer, more onions, and some butter in the bottom of the pan.

Heated the grill to 375F

In a saucepan, I made a basting concoction using a bottle Red Tail Ale from Mendocino Brewing Co., butter, S&P, thyme, and Sage. I kept this simmering on the side burner.

Grilled the bird for 1 hour breast down, then flipped it over and grilled for another 2.5 hours breast up, basting often. I would add water to the pan if it got too low. Once the basting concoction was all gone, I basted the bird for the last hour or so with the drippings in the pan.

Thermometer read 165F in deep breast, and almost 170F in the leg. The skin was a nice dark brown crunchy skin :love:

I let it rest for about 20 minutes. I was full by the time I had finished carving (plus I got all the best parts 8p )

People at the party were commenting that it was one of the moistest birds they had ever had...so I got that going for me...which is nice ;)

InDirect Heat on Gas or Charcoal???

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
InDirect Heat on Gas or Charcoal???

Propane...

I have done a bird over Mesquite on a Weber 22" Kettle as well. Turned out great!

sizzler
11-06-2006, 05:32 PM
we normally have aturkey for christmas day(as well as goose/hams/beef etc).i lay some foil(about 3ft), in the bottom of a roasting dish ,lengthways and crossways..i place the turkey in the bottom ,right-way up,stuffed with whole onions ,a whole lemon cut in half,fresh rosemary,thyme and cloves of garlic.....i prise away the skin from the breast meat and insert buter into the cavity between the skin and the breast meat,i then cover the breastskin with butter and season it to taste,then i place thin rashers of bacon in a lattice shape(intertwined)over the top of the butter...and place thicker,back bacon over the legs and wings....the wings i wrap in extra foil.....i then pour a whole bottle of GOOD white wine into the bottom of the pan along with more fresh rosemary.......i then 'parcel' up the foil over the bird and leave a gap at the top for the steam to circulate.......this is then put in a medium oven for about 5hrs to 'steam ' ...at the end of this time ,i unwrap the bird and turn up the oven to brown the bacon and the rest of the turkey for about half hour...take of the bacon lattice on the breast and return the bird for another 15 mins to brown the breast skin....remembering to keep the foil on the wings to stop them drying out ......the action of the butter under the skin and the steaming of the wine wil give you the most moist and succulent turkey ever.....

but ,hey,dont take my word for it......TRY IT ......

i have american neighbours....,well ,they're from california,,,does that count??? ...they have been here for 3 yrs ...not a single party.....what gives?????